General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

dosteo56

Search this Thread

Old September 17th, 2015, 11:48 PM

dosteo56

Hi everyone,
Wonder if anyone could answer question for me. I have a 1968 442 with 1970 w30 engine. Just putting on Edelbrock 60519 Performer heads. The front edge of the head hits the fuel pump. The fuel lines connect to the top as the pump sits. I have seen many pictures of that fuel pump turned upside down. If I could turn it upside down with the fuel lines on the bottom that would solve my problem.No company appears to make a smaller-bodied pump alternative. I do not want to alter the brand new head or the fuel pump.I can't find any installation instructions on those fuel pumps. If nothing else works I would have to go to an electric fuel pump which would prefer not to do. If someone has a solution please let me know.

Thanks.
Old September 18th, 2015, 06:57 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by drfelderjr
Hi everyone,
Wonder if anyone could answer question for me. I have a 1968 442 with 1970 w30 engine. Just putting on Edelbrock 60519 Performer heads. The front edge of the head hits the fuel pump. The fuel lines connect to the top as the pump sits. I have seen many pictures of that fuel pump turned upside down. If I could turn it upside down with the fuel lines on the bottom that would solve my problem.No company appears to make a smaller-bodied pump alternative. I do not want to alter the brand new head or the fuel pump.I can't find any installation instructions on those fuel pumps. If nothing else works I would have to go to an electric fuel pump which would prefer not to do. If someone has a solution please let me know.

Thanks.
OK, the first question is, what engine do you really have. If you do have a 1970 W-30 motor with the original "F" casting heads, those heads are worth upwards of $4000 for the pair.

More importantly, the issue with E-brock heads hitting the fuel pump only comes up on SMALL BLOCK Olds motors. The shorter deck height of the 330/350/403 motors causes this interference. I'm not aware of any such interference on big block Olds motors like the 400 or 455.

The fuel pump is installed correctly as you describe it. The ones you have been looking at on the web are Chevy motors, which are completely different.

Check the block casting number on the small shelf above the water pump, where the oil fill tube goes into the block. That will tell you what block you really have.

P1010403.jpg
Old September 18th, 2015, 12:03 PM

dosteo56

Joe,
Thanks for your response. I double-checked everything and called Dick Miller Racing and Rocket Racing for advice several time this week. Got great info. However the problem with the Edelbrock 60519 head hiting the stock mechanical fuel pump is apparently well know in the Oldsmobile racing community. There is no other mechanical fuel pump that will solve my problem. Most people apparently have the abutting part of the head ground down. I do not want to do that. Thus it looks like my only solution is to go to an electric fuel pump.
By the way. I got this car 4 years ago. It was in beautiful pristine condition including no rust. The engine truly sounded and ran great similar to W30's that I had driven before with tremendous power. It could handle 4 hour highwaay driving with ease and no problems. It was listed as a 2 owner car bought originally in Phoenix, Arizona, a dry climate (no rust).
The 442 was a 1968 body. A 1970 "W30" engine was put in. I was told that the engine had been blue-printed. I had no paper work on that.(cont)
Old September 18th, 2015, 12:16 PM

Also the intake manifold had been changed to an Edelbrock 04B. Car numbers checked by me personally on the car were Q-jet 7040258, distributor 111179, engine casting 396021-F (Serif),made in Lansing, manual Hurst floor 4 speed, red plastic front fender wells, and 3:91 rear with 12 bolt cover. All of those were consistent with a true 1970 455 engine and all thing compatible with W30 except the E heads. They should be F's. The new Edelbrock heads are for 400,425,and 455's. Thanks again.
Old September 18th, 2015, 01:07 PM

Note that there are different style "factory" fuel pumps that have different size bodies:

Large body Airtex 40736:

Small body Carter M6109:

Originally Posted by drfelderjr
There is no other mechanical fuel pump that will solve my problem.
Well, at least not one that you know of. The RobbMc pump was specifically designed to fit:

http://www.robbmcperformance.com/products/olds550.html
Old September 18th, 2015, 03:39 PM

drfelderjr

Fun71
Thanks for your input. Had checked online before and rechecked today. Also read multiple forums on lack of clearance between the Edelbrock big block heads and the stock mechanical fuel pump, specifically on the 1970 Olds 455. There are absolutely no mechanical fuel pumps that can be used without grinding down the head for about $200 and possibly weakening the water jacket in the head or deforming the fuel pump, neither of which I'm going to do.The first two pumps you mentioned all have the same clearance issues and will not solve the problem. The third, the RobbMc, specifically states in the link on the second line under specs that is does NOT clear the Edelbrock heads. It looks like I will still go with the external electrical fuel pump. Thanks again.
Old September 18th, 2015, 04:26 PM

I found this info in a quick search. Sounds like a few folks were able to install a Holley mechanical pump with no clearancing and others used a Carter pump with no/minor filing. The mention of dimpling the pump sounds interesting.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...gh-volume.html
Originally Posted by 442_Mustang
I'm running the same Carter pump and I didn't have to do any clearancing. The rubber diaphragm touches the head but there's no metal to metal contact.
Originally Posted by 442_Mustang
As I said, I have a 455 with Edelbrock heads and a Carter mech. fuel pump and it works fine. No clearancing was done.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...mer-heads.html
Originally Posted by citcapp
I had to notch my head a little (about an 1/4") to get the mechanical fuel pump to fit. Others have stated that they used a Holly mechanical pump and did not have to notch the head.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...endations.html
Originally Posted by ziff396
In reference to the Carter pump- I am running the Carter pump on my 455 with Edelbrock heads. I did have to do a little filing in order for it to fit. No major cutting or water jacket problems. Also, no lack of fuel.
Originally Posted by citcapp
On my 455 in the 57 Olds I filed the Edelbrock head to fit the fuel pump. On the one for the 48 Olds I dimpled the fuel pump just a tad. Both ways work but it the future I will always dimple the fuel pump
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...der-heads.html
Originally Posted by ziff396
Originally Posted by 64Rocket
I have the E-brock heads on a 455 in a '68 442 and a stock mechanical fuel pump. Only had the notch the head just a bit. Not a huge amount, it is still super close but it is in and no problems.

Gene
Same with mine with a Carter muscle car stock style pump. Just a little filing was done.
Old September 19th, 2015, 09:25 AM

Fuel pump

Try this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_9119.JPG (2.11 MB, 20 views)
IMG_9120.JPG (2.05 MB, 17 views)
IMG_9121.JPG (2.13 MB, 15 views)
Old September 21st, 2015, 08:53 AM

dosteo56

Thanks for everyone's input relative to the Edelbrock 60519 cylinder heads abutting the stock mechanical fuel pump. I talked with Edelbrock today. They had no internal Edelbrock solution other than notching the pump and/or the head, which I think is ridiculous on their part. However, reluctantly they said that Mondello made just the pump that does not abut. I called Mondello who, in fact, state that they do make the mechanical pump that fits without abutting. Actually, if you buy the heads from them, the pump is included in the sale. Consequently I just ordered the pump ($110) from them which will be here tomorrow A.M. In the future I will probably just deal with Mondello and not Edelbock.
Thanks again.Hope this info will help someone in the future.
Old September 21st, 2015, 10:47 AM

My guess is Mondello doesn't actually make that pump, they just take another manufacturer's pump, mark up the price, and resell it.

You'll learn about them.
Old September 21st, 2015, 09:38 PM

I did have to notch the head just a tad. Nothing extreme, maybe an 1/8 inch and just on the edge, you can barely see it. Also it is down below the alt of which hardly anybody will see.

Gene