Edelbrock performer heads

Search this Thread

Old July 29th, 2011, 01:31 AM

Edelbrock performer heads

Are the edelbrock performer heads the same height as the standard C heads. Just wondering if the A/C bracket that holds the compressor will still fit (69 442 6.6lt). Also i see that mondello are doing a deal atm.

Will they fit with standard Valve covers or does it depend on what rockers you are going to use? Im thinking using Harland Sharp True Olds Roller Rocker Arms. And do you need to use headers or can you still use the stock exhaust manifold?
Cheers

Last edited by ralsy; July 29th, 2011 at 01:35 AM. Reason: Made a blunder
Old July 29th, 2011, 07:57 AM

1. Several people on site have stated that they had to modify the Top AC bracket. I don't have AC so did not face that problem

2. with the roller rockers the standard valve covers will not fit. At least they did not on my build.

3.You can use the stock exhaust manifolds but headers will make breath better. I used the X/Z stock headers on my 455

4. I had to notch my head a little (about an 1/4") to get the mechanical fuel pump to fit. Others have stated that they used a Holly mechanical pump and did not have to notch the head. If you do notch the head with a file be careful not to go to deep as you will cut into the water jacket area.
Old July 29th, 2011, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by citcapp
1. Several people on site have stated that they had to modify the Top AC bracket. I don't have AC so did not face that problem

2. with the roller rockers the standard valve covers will not fit. At least they did not on my build.

3.You can use the stock exhaust manifolds but headers will make breath better. I used the X/Z stock headers on my 455

4. I had to notch my head a little (about an 1/4") to get the mechanical fuel pump to fit. Others have stated that they used a Holly mechanical pump and did not have to notch the head. If you do notch the head with a file be careful not to go to deep as you will cut into the water jacket area.
What type of mechanical pump did you use? I am contemplating my fuel system right now and would love to run a RobbMC 1100 hp pump, but it says it won't clear the Eddy heads.
Old July 29th, 2011, 01:56 PM

I'm running a stock Napa mechanical pump and it maintains 6lbs pressure on my 455. On the 455 I am building for my 48 I am going to try the Holly mechanical pump to see if it clears as others have stated.

I have no starvation issues with my 10.5-1 compression engine at all with the stock fuel pump
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Complete Build sheet.pdf (72.2 KB, 34 views)
Old July 29th, 2011, 01:59 PM

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=pimp&...0ooT3Cg&zoom=1 no such thing as a stock pimp
Old July 29th, 2011, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by firefrost gold
Got me on that one hands type faster then I can think. Old age thing.
Old July 29th, 2011, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by citcapp
I'm running a stock Napa mechanical pump and it maintains 6lbs pressure on my 455. On the 455 I am building for my 48 I am going to try the Holly mechanical pump to see if it clears as others have stated.

I have no starvation issues with my 10.5-1 compression engine at all with the stock fuel pump
I'm worried I may run into fuel starvation issues with my engine. I'm running a considerably larger cam and I have ported Edelbrock heads and ported Torker. I'll figure it out...just wish there was a simple solution with Edelbrock heads...uh hem! RobbMC!
Old July 29th, 2011, 02:10 PM

I feel you there Im not a graceful typer either Some times i cringe after seeing
what I hit submit too . carter used to make high flow pumps too.
Old July 29th, 2011, 02:12 PM

If you decide to go with an electric set up. I advise that you modify your fuel tank for a in tank unit. the inline units are very noisy and will drive you nuts
Old July 29th, 2011, 02:15 PM

trick is working on a long rod pump that clears and is angled and fandagled to
work with the edelbrock heads PM him and see how its going And I must say if with a arm charm like that he can dress any way he wants.
Old July 29th, 2011, 02:33 PM

Mr. Gasket #7709 worked fine on the last 455 I did with Edelbrock heads.
Old July 29th, 2011, 07:31 PM

Yeah, last I talked to Brian he was still working on the pump. He didn't feel comfortable releasing it to the public yet. I may go with electric, I just hate to plumb all of that into a stock tank...it'd be easier to get a 1/2" sending unit and run 1/2" hose up to a stock location mechanical pump.
Old July 29th, 2011, 07:37 PM

I talked to Robbmc and he said they talked to edelbrock about the clearance problems
and tryed to get them to change their mold to work with the robbmc pump but no dice.
I got one of the starters from him and it didnt work out they wanted me to add a solenoid from a ford and stuff have used my stock one for 3 years with no problems. what does his pump and sending unit look like ?
Old July 29th, 2011, 09:56 PM

Pump and sending unit are billet aluminum, really nice stuff. It seems sort of back assward to have the head be clearanced for a pump but oh well. Maybe he made the pump first. However it worked out, it stinks that you can't use his pump with the Eddy heads.

Check his website www.robbmcperformance.com to see what the pump, sending unit and other stuff looks like.
Old July 31st, 2011, 06:20 PM

You can You just have to have cut to fit weld to seal. Btr said he does it all the time. it sounded like he talked to them when there was talk af the new casting . I would think the pump could be trimmed too?
Old August 1st, 2011, 05:49 PM

If someone has trimmed the pump to fit the heads, I'd love to see an example and try it for myself. There is no way I'm taking a $2500 set of ported heads and cutting a notch in them.
Old August 1st, 2011, 06:16 PM

So you will cut the frame strip the body gut the interior remove the radio ,
heater, power steering , fan, but not notch the heads
Old August 1st, 2011, 06:39 PM

Funny huh? Haha! I have no way to weld it if I cut too deep...and the heads are on and torqued, intake is on...if I have to weld it I'd have to take the whole engine somewhere. It's just a hassle, I'd rather just run an electric setup if I can't get it worked out.

And for the record, I haven't cut the frame
Old August 1st, 2011, 06:46 PM

you have some build info on it ? Sounds like it will be a nice car when done. I hear you on the hole cut and weld thing I have seen posts on rop and high performance olds on the same question that was BTR's answer just trim to fit weld to seal Done.
Old August 1st, 2011, 07:28 PM

Build info? Check my signature...major builds and projects "new engine, new paint, new interior...hero camera documented"
Old August 1st, 2011, 07:54 PM

will doo
Old August 2nd, 2011, 06:59 AM

This problem has been around as long as these heads, and I'm shocked Edelbrock hasn't made a modification to accomodate a stock-type pump!!
Maybe we, as a forum, should all call/write/e-mail them, and make them aware that they'd sell a lot more product if there wasn't another system to modify to use their heads!
Let alone the parts cost and labor involved!!
The mods to their molds aren't that drastic!
Old August 3rd, 2011, 10:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rickman48
This problem has been around as long as these heads, and I'm shocked Edelbrock hasn't made a modification to accomodate a stock-type pump!!
Maybe we, as a forum, should all call/write/e-mail them, and make them aware that they'd sell a lot more product if there wasn't another system to modify to use their heads!
Let alone the parts cost and labor involved!!
The mods to their molds aren't that drastic!
I doubt Edelbrock will be even making the Olds heads anymore in the near future, so if you want a set, now is the time to buy.
Old August 4th, 2011, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by SBORule
I doubt Edelbrock will be even making the Olds heads anymore in the near future, so if you want a set, now is the time to buy.
What are you basing this claim on? Why would Edelbrock throw away years of research and development? It doesn't cost them a dime to keep the casting molds and produce heads as they are sold...this makes absolutely no sense to me.