General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Doing paperwork.

Search this Thread

Old August 12th, 2022, 11:40 AM

Doing paperwork.

For the most part everyone who wants to buy a car deal with a pink slip in the owners name and a complete bill of sale. But what about all the “other” ways of buying a car and getting the proper forms so that you can get the car registered and on the road. I’m in California so it’s a bit more difficult here. Can we get some feedback on a few different scenarios

​​​​​- seller with pink slip not in his/her name
-no pink slip only bill of sale from seller/owner
-out of dmv system
-no paperwork at all.
- out of state car

All the cars I’ve either bought or sold has been the cleaner scenario with signed pink slip and bill of sale from owner. So I would like to know how to navigate these other circumstances.
Old August 12th, 2022, 01:32 PM
Rocket Renegade!

I'll refer to them as #1-5 for the sake of brevity.

1) Dealbreaker. Usually a sketchy situation, otherwise as in the case of an inheritance, the car should already be re-registered post-probate if it's being legitimately offered for sale.
2) Dealbreaker absent DMV-acceptable proof of ownership.
3) If acceptable paperwork is in place, contact DMV for information on how to proceed.
4) Dealbreaker. Move on.
5) Contact DMV for information on how to proceed.

Old August 12th, 2022, 02:18 PM
Administrator

It varies from state to state, what works in one state may not in another. My advise is to contact the DMV in your state prior to the purchase to see what is required as it can become an expensive nightmare under certain conditions.
Old August 12th, 2022, 02:23 PM
Old(s) Fart

Every state is different, so look up your state's DMV rules. Here in VA, there are options.

1) I've bought many vehicles where the seller has a signed title in someone else's name. Heck, I've sold cars that way also. So long as the buyer's name is blank it's a non-issue. I just bought a truck in NJ 2 weeks ago with exactly this situation. The VA DMV didn't even blink. Title is now in my name. No muss, no fuss.
2) Depends. In states that don't issue titles for older cars, this is business as usual. If the car comes from a state that DOES have a title, this is "danger Will Robinson". The "lost title" story is BS. Every single state in the country has a process for getting a replacement for a lost title. Here in VA it costs something like $10 and you can do it on line. Of course, if you are not the legal owner, you can't do this, thus the "danger" part.
3) Depends on where.
4) See response to #2. Again, here in VA, there is a legal DMV process for obtaining the title for an "abandoned car". There is a similar process in Calif (or at least there was when I lived there in the 1980s, because I successfully used it to get a title for a car). In Calif, it was a "lien sale" process, and it required posting notices about the car and sending a registered letter to the former owner's last know address. Again, research your state DMV's regulations.
5) Total non-issue, at least in VA. I also got Calif titles for several out of state cars when I lived there in the 1980s. Again, you'll need to research current DMV and CARB regulations. Obviously the latter depends on the year.
Old August 12th, 2022, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by BangScreech4-4-2
I'll refer to them as #1-5 for the sake of brevity.

1) Dealbreaker. Usually a sketchy situation, otherwise as in the case of an inheritance, the car should already be re-registered post-probate if it's being legitimately offered for sale.
2) Dealbreaker absent DMV-acceptable proof of ownership.
3) If acceptable paperwork is in place, contact DMV for information on how to proceed.
4) Dealbreaker. Move on.
5) Contact DMV for information on how to proceed.

i like that breakdown. I know some people have inside pull at dmv and they can get crazy paperwork sorted out easy. I don’t have that. I’m hoping for the best in the situation I’m not going to go into detail about as of now. We will see
Old August 12th, 2022, 02:28 PM

I live in Cal also. All I can tell you about Cal DMV, is, if you don't have everything done the way they want it or think it should be, you will have problem. Bought a VC from New Hamp. years ago, and New Hamp does not require a title, on car over 25 years old. Just a registration, and bill of sale. I even call New Hamp DMV, and they said yes that is true, and told me where the Cal DMV could find that info, and I showed them that, and they still did not believe me. After about 3-4 times to DMV, they made me take out a bond on the car, cost me about another $200, and they had to inspect it. Also years ago bought a 41 Chevy, from one of my brothers inlaw, and he never put it in his name, still in the guys name he bought it from, and that was years before, and now he is dead, and I can't get the paper work signed. Lots of guys do that in Cal, because, they know they are not going to keep the car, and they don't want to pay the taxes. I will never buy a car this way again, to much hassle.
Old August 12th, 2022, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Every state is different, so look up your state's DMV rules. Here in VA, there are options.

1) I've bought many vehicles where the seller has a signed title in someone else's name. Heck, I've sold cars that way also. So long as the buyer's name is blank it's a non-issue. I just bought a truck in NJ 2 weeks ago with exactly this situation. The VA DMV didn't even blink. Title is now in my name. No muss, no fuss.
2) Depends. In states that don't issue titles for older cars, this is business as usual. If the car comes from a state that DOES have a title, this is "danger Will Robinson". The "lost title" story is BS. Every single state in the country has a process for getting a replacement for a lost title. Here in VA it costs something like $10 and you can do it on line. Of course, if you are not the legal owner, you can't do this, thus the "danger" part.
3) Depends on where.
4) See response to #2. Again, here in VA, there is a legal DMV process for obtaining the title for an "abandoned car". There is a similar process in Calif (or at least there was when I lived there in the 1980s, because I successfully used it to get a title for a car). In Calif, it was a "lien sale" process, and it required posting notices about the car and sending a registered letter to the former owner's last know address. Again, research your state DMV's regulations.
5) Total non-issue, at least in VA. I also got Calif titles for several out of state cars when I lived there in the 1980s. Again, you'll need to research current DMV and CARB regulations. Obviously the latter depends on the year.
never really had problems buying cars because I always make sure I get the title and it’s signed by the registered owner. This time I tried leave some room since the seller said he had to find all the paperwork. We will see
Old August 12th, 2022, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by 442Harv
I live in Cal also. All I can tell you about Cal DMV, is, if you don't have everything done the way they want it or think it should be, you will have problem. Bought a VC from New Hamp. years ago, and New Hamp does not require a title, on car over 25 years old. Just a registration, and bill of sale. I even call New Hamp DMV, and they said yes that is true, and told me where the Cal DMV could find that info, and I showed them that, and they still did not believe me. After about 3-4 times to DMV, they made me take out a bond on the car, cost me about another $200, and they had to inspect it. Also years ago bought a 41 Chevy, from one of my brothers inlaw, and he never put it in his name, still in the guys name he bought it from, and that was years before, and now he is dead, and I can't get the paper work signed. Lots of guys do that in Cal, because, they know they are not going to keep the car, and they don't want to pay the taxes. I will never buy a car this way again, to much hassle.

yeah cali is a bit tough from what I hear from people in other states. But that can be a good thing with so many people being scammed
Old August 12th, 2022, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano

3) Depends on where.
The above represents your longest response...... lol 😆
Old August 12th, 2022, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by twilightblue28A
The above represents your longest response...... lol 😆

no. It’s very detailed and needed for a sensitive topic. So thank you
Old August 13th, 2022, 07:26 AM

I also live in California, my personal way of doing this is NO money changes hands until the title is in my hand with my name on it.

I purchased the Money Pit with a mess on the title, had an impound lean, unpaid license back fees and probably more, took about an hour for a nice man on the counter to fix everything. It amounted to almost $800 bucks, this I took off the already cheap price of the car. If you have all the paperwork and a willing DMV employ much can be overcome, but have signore in the wrong place, and you can grow a beard in the time it will take someone to even help you. My advice is get the paper work right or buy something else...Tedd
Old August 13th, 2022, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
I also live in California, my personal way of doing this is NO money changes hands until the title is in my hand with my name on it.

I purchased the Money Pit with a mess on the title, had an impound lean, unpaid license back fees and probably more, took about an hour for a nice man on the counter to fix everything. It amounted to almost $800 bucks, this I took off the already cheap price of the car. If you have all the paperwork and a willing DMV employ much can be overcome, but have signore in the wrong place, and you can grow a beard in the time it will take someone to even help you. My advice is get the paper work right or buy something else...Tedd

yeah a lot of time the cars have back fees due to people not understanding about putting cars on non op. So simple and can save a ton. I’m not sure how often you need to renew the non op since I always put them on the road within a year
Old August 14th, 2022, 02:35 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by Sharkbite55
yeah a lot of time the cars have back fees due to people not understanding about putting cars on non op. So simple and can save a ton. I’m not sure how often you need to renew the non op since I always put them on the road within a year
Here they call that a "Storage" policy and they sell it for the same variable duration as a driving policy. Cost me about $35 for five months last winter.
Old August 23rd, 2022, 01:28 PM

If the car is out of dmv system and you fill a duplicate title form. How would dmv know it’s is or not your car? I understand they might have a hard copy on on file. But how far would they be able to go back? What if they don’t find anything?