General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Disturbing trend

Search this Thread

Old November 30th, 2010, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by InfoJunkie
El Caminos are pickups not passenger cars. It was badged 400 so it was a 400 not a 402. I realize people call them 402's to distinguish them from the ealier 396 with a different bore. Seems Olds people dont have to make up CIDs to figure out which 400 is which. Maybe we should just start calling 65-67 a 400 and the 68-69 a 399.

That is correct. Bad termanology on my part.They did build a 401 but they called it a 400. That would be a Gen1 400 not the MarkIV 400.
I did throw some Olds stuff into this discussion in a Olds forum about Chevs. Gotta keep the Olds theme going.

Malibu 400. 400 badges, 402 under the hood.

http://www.shapeconsulting.com/malibu400/
Old November 30th, 2010, 09:00 AM
InfoJunkie

If that engine would have been a 400SBC in a Malibu wagon, would you have said 400 badges, 401 under the hood? The big bore 396 is as close to 402 as the SB is to 401. My GM Chevelle Parts Catalog refers to 400's in Chevelles as 4BC and 2BC. 4BC engines take the same rockers as a 454 and 2BC engines rockers are same as 350. Nowhere in that catalog does it refer to a 402. As I said earlier. 402 is a laymans term not a GM term.
I also have Camaro, Buick and Pontiac A body Parts catalogs. Sold my Olds catalog a few weeks back.

Last edited by InfoJunkie; November 30th, 2010 at 09:02 AM.
Old November 30th, 2010, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by f-85
This is what Oldspower.com does http://www.oldspower.com/vb/showthread.php?t=47652

I think we should use the same Motto!

You know I was just reading all the posts, got some LOL's but some of it made me kinda mad as hell why would anybody tell another olds lover if he can Keep that olds on the road and didnt have access to an olds motor and did a chevy due to being layed off from work, or something of the sort LIKE I AM Who are you or anyone else for that matter to tell me / them what they have to keep in there there car to stay on a certain site. TOTAL BS

I for one now that I seen the mentality of oldspower could care less to go back there and I am Olds powered, for the old timers here I know nothing can / will be said that will change your mind. But for an 20 year old entry level type of car if he cant get an Olds power plant why crucify him / her for that ?? You guys / gals should be happy that he / she is trying to keep a classicoldsmobile.com out the scrap pile and on the road for the next generation to enjoy as much as you did with it.

I am not taking anybodies sides on this one for I did have access to an original 350 olds motor to keep mine olds powered , but if I would not have the Chevy would in the corner would have went in for I knew what it was and knew it ran darn good with dual quad tunnel ram on it !!!

I can agree with both sides on this subject but, given if the newbie doesnt have access to olds power plant or the funds to make a olds power plant, I say why not if it keeps that classicoldsmobile.com outta the yard and made into Kias for once its crushed its crushed ...............

Prob take some heat for this one but I could not keep quiet after I seen the oldspower message.
Old November 30th, 2010, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Boldsmobile
It is pointless to point out it is pointless.

And ..... its even more pointless to point out that posts to point out the subject is pointless are pointless.
and for this post it made my head hurt LMAO
Old December 3rd, 2010, 08:09 PM
car guy

This one has gone on for long enough. Everyone knows where each other stands. There was a new sub heading started for any discussion of swaps ect.

If anyone comes to the forum and asks a question about a swap be polite and direct them to the proper spot.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post231102