General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

CONVERTIBLE TOP MOTOR ISSUES - 71 Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old October 12th, 2011, 08:01 AM

CONVERTIBLE TOP MOTOR ISSUES - 71 Cutlass

******I ORIGINALLY HAD THIS POSTED IN ELECTRICAL, BUT WASN'T GETTING MUCH TRAFFIC******

hey guys, i really need your help. my top motor is not working. this issue occurred two wknds ago so i took the car to a restoration shop to have motor checked out this past friday.

first off, he plugs some wires to a used motor to show me that it created a spark. then he ran the same wires to my motor, and there was no spark. he claims that is a sign that my top motor is going bad??? who am i to say he's wrong, i'm no expert...

so, he attempts to sell me a used top motor w/ installation for $250. After seeing the expression on my face, he immediately drops the price to $200. There was no way I would pay that kind of money for a used, unwarrented motor when I buy a new one for $300.

well, i decided to hold off on the motor and asked him to check my battery under the hood. after playing around with the battery and some other thing (looks like a small plastic container), to my surprise the top started working again. so i decided to test it by raising the top. it worked for a moment, but stopped again. i'm very confused at this point. not sure if i really need a new motor now.

could someone please provide me with some test i can run to maybe troubleshoot the problem...when the top stops working, there is absolutely no sound coming from the motor. also, i notice a couple weeks ago that the tops was going up and down alot slower than usual.

i really really appreciate any and all help/suggestions.

Thanks!