General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Coastal living with cars full of chrome...

Search this Thread

Old September 14th, 2012, 04:14 PM

Coastal living with cars full of chrome...

As some of you all know, i am looking for retirement property along the Oregon coast. Hopefully in 10 years I can build a home and move there.

I would like to hear some feedback from those who are (or know someone) living within 10 miles of the ocean, on what the salty air does to chrome and other metal surfaces. I am wondering if it is similar whether on the Florida coast or the Washington coast.
Will I have to wash the car after every drive? Are there good protectants one can use to avoid damage? How much exposure does it take and or how long does it take to make any damage?

Please give your general location as well as how many feet or miles from the ocean.

Thanks!
Old September 14th, 2012, 10:23 PM
Randy C.

The '68 4-4-2 I have now was purchased new by my parents in Coos Bay, OR, where I grew up (we actually lived in North Bend. The picture in my avatar was taken the day after my parents bought the 4-4-2 and that's me applying my first coat of wax to it!

The location of our house was just under 4 miles (as the crow flies) to the ocean and less than a half mile from the bay. We didn't use anything special to protect the chrome, body, or other parts of the car from the elements, although my dad insisted that we use paste wax that we could only get at the Ford dealership. Even when the green liquid Turtle Wax came out (which us kids really liked), dad would still make us use the Ford paste wax!

Keep in mind that it rains a lot there (about 70"/year) and I believe all that fresh water kept a lot of the salt contaminants off the cars and off the roads. And, being just a few miles inland, the "salt air" almost wasn't there. You had to go out almost to the beach to get the salt air smell.

When my parents bought the car, they had two teenage boys with driver's licenses and whose job (if they wanted to drive the 4-4-2) was to keep it clean. My parents put chrome reverse wheels on the 4-4-2 and my brother and I would take those wheels off, one by one, about every 3 months so we could clean the surface rust off of the chrome around the lugs. We never had a rust problem with any other chrome or stainless trim and we usually waxed the car when we did the wheels.

I should add that the 4-4-2 was always garaged. It sat outside during the day, rain or shine, when my parents were at work but it was always in the garage at night. I'm not sure exactly why, but the fenders you see on the car today are the same fenders the car came with - no lower patches, nothing. They never rusted like those fenders usually do.

Where the 4-4-2 did rust was at the top of the rear wheel openings (both sides) and the bottom edge of the trunk lid (the part closest to the bumper). It still has its original trunk and floor pans and the frame is in great shape, as is the rest of the car. It had its original convertible top until 2007. But even then, all I had to do was clean the top bows before the new top was installed - no rust there, either.

I believe that the 4-4-2 being garaged pretty much all of its life was a big factor in avoiding a lot of rust.

We would take the car to the beach often, but we never ever drove on the sand or in salt (or brackish) water - just stayed in the parking lot (good place to "make out" back then!).

I'd say the Washington coast is pretty much the same as the Oregon coast, although in WA you're probably looking at more rain.

Where on the Oregon Coast are thinking of going? There are a lot of neat places.

I live at the south end of Puget Sound now, about 3/4 of a mile from Henderson Inlet, which is salt water. The cars are still garaged, even though we don't seem to have any ill effects due to salt air or water nearby.

Hope this helps for starters!

Randy C.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
0510111116.jpg (65.0 KB, 12 views)
Old September 15th, 2012, 08:21 AM

Great info Randy - thanks. I am most concerned about rust and pitting of exterior surfaces, like trim and bumpers.
They will be garage stored for sure.
So I guess it is safe to say that after a cruise to and along the coast, a quick wash would be needed to remove any salt spray.
I am sure I would get caught in the rain but I would think it would be fairly neutral...

Right now I am looking at Brookings, the "banana belt", since it is usually the warmest place along the coast. I would be a half to 5 miles from the ocean most likely, but would have a view for sure.
I love it there. I will be back there next month to look at land again.
Old September 15th, 2012, 08:40 AM

Rob, do you remember my post about the 1964 Cutlass Convertible I purchased last summer? It came from Eureka California and the guy who owned it was probably a mile from the Ocean. It had been in a garage for about 15 years, brought there from somewhere near the Nevada border. When I got it home we were having 95-99 degree weather so I pulled the interior and took a garden hose flushing the car from top to bottom. There is surface rust where the previous owner ground down the pins for side trim. But the frame and sheetmetal looked cherry. I will say that it had never been in running condition those years it sat near the coast. But I was fearing lots of damage from the salt air and didn't find it. The first car that got me into Oldsmobiles was a Rallye 350 that had been purchased new in Lincoln City Oregon. It had cancer almost everywhere you looked including rust through the roof above the drip rails! So the salt air can eat up a car, but maybe its the care of washing it well and not driving up and down the beach playing in the surf Buy some land up high where you can be a mile inland and still have a view. Then have a "disposable" car that you can drive down to the beach! John
Old September 15th, 2012, 09:25 AM
Lt. Buzzkill (ret.)

Nice choice of location for retirement. The Oregon coast is amazingly beautiful. I've been there 3x now and would love to see it again. My son lived in Newport for a bit, then Lincoln City. His place in Lincoln City was on Devil's Lake - just georgeous! I like Depoe Bay and Waldport, too.
Old September 15th, 2012, 10:44 AM

I live a couple miles from the ceach in Southern California. I park my daily driver outdoors and all of the cold air and dew wet the car every night. I basically cant keep my daily driver clean because the air and moisture. My cutlass however is parked in the garage and has zero issues. As long as you park indoors you wont have any issues I dont think.
Old September 15th, 2012, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Buy some land up high where you can be a mile inland and still have a view.
This is pretty much the plan; just need to see if I can deal withthe much cooler temps year round. I dont think I want to wear long pants and a jacket int he summer...

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Then have a "disposable" car that you can drive down to the beach!
Then it's no fun!!! I would never drive into the salt water with any car though. I did that with a bicycle back in 2006 and the next year the moving parts rusted up into one solid piece.

I seem to love all parts of oregon along the coast. Each has its own charm and character. Brookings is my fav, just because it is warmest. I do not want to wear long pants and a jacket in summer...
Depoe bay is great for whale watching and shopping. Newport is great for exploring the lighthouses and the harbor. Astoria for the history.....................

I intend to travel the coast quite a bit, camp, enjoy the B&Bs, hike, etc so my car of choice would be exposed for a couple days, week or two weeks at a time. I should think this will not be too bad as long as I wash it when I get home. At least the salt will come off easy. One drive to the lake and back in TX and you have caked on greasy bugs to scrub off!
Old September 15th, 2012, 11:12 AM

hey Rob,

I live 4 miles west of the Atlantic, we don't get much on shore breeze blowing inland but I do have to say that after spending the day at the beach you can see and feel a bit of built up of crud. If you are just going for a drive it won't make too much of a difference but to leave the car sit for a few hours you'll understand. You'll see it mostly on the windows and chrome surfaces,especially w/ an onshore breeze.

On the left coast everything in pretty much blowing east so I would imagine things could be a bit more. Good coats of wax are necessary and to be honest if you are going to go out that way, maybe some fresh undercoating too since it's not so easy to get the undercarriage washed on a regular basis.

I'm sure you will garage that Lady,so maybe an A/C unit to keep the humidity level under control as well as a air purifier/cleaner if your concerned about the saline level in the air. I wonder is there a way to check salt levels in the air.

Good luck and happy hunting on a retirement place.