General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Rally Pac Conversion Green Wire

Search this Thread

Old June 2nd, 2011, 06:02 PM

Rally Pac Conversion Green Wire

I converted the warning lights to the gauges on a 70 442. The temperature gauge needle pegs when the key is turned on. I understand that removing a green wire will stop that. However, looking under the dash I see more than one green wires, and some different shades of green. Which one is it? And when I do find the right one, how do I get it out of the harness housing without doing damage? Thanks for your help.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 06:51 PM

Location: from Wisc, then Texas, then Kansas, now back to Texas,
use the 'search' feature found up there on the right side of the bar at the top of this page, it;s in there somewhere. I think you have to switch around more than one wire, using a paper clip or something. The green wire IS the Green wire,. Also when I did mine, everything worked, but the oil and temp gages went backwards , kinda like your temp gage, I had to switch the sending unit leads around, and all worked fine. The instructions I found were good, but 'they' had these 2 wires backwards.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 08:05 PM
Randy C.

The green wire that needs to be disconnected runs down your steering column harness and connects to another harness. Just back the green wire out of the harness and tape it off so it doesn't touch anything. That should solve the problem of the temp gauge pegging every time you start your car.

Randy C.
Old June 3rd, 2011, 05:20 AM

I was PMed about this just last week, so here is my reply:

The wire will be a solid dark-medium green - grass green sounds right.
It will be in a cluster of other big wires such as orange/blk, purple, brown, pink, and red. This is the main ignition switch connector (there may be two smaller ones that fit close together).
They will be on top of the column under the dash.
The light green, med green/white stripe/ and purple is on the neutral / reverse light switch. Leave these alone.

Use a jeweler's screwdriver or bent paperclip to poke in the tab hole and release the terminal from the connector. Heat shrink the metal connector. More details can be found in my "rally pac stuff" link below.
Hope this helps!
-Rob
Old September 15th, 2012, 12:32 PM

anyone have a picture to show location of this green wire...