General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

cleaning parts-ugh!

Search this Thread

Old January 14th, 2024, 01:01 PM

cleaning parts-ugh!

I'm tearing apart a 1964 394 that's as filthy as anything I have ever seen, and I'm scrubbing parts until my fingers are raw- and there's still so much more to clean. I've used shop rags, wire brushes (brass) on my drill, a tooth brush, plain old sand paper, a pick, screw drivers, a plastic body filler spreader... Dawn dish soap, Comet, TSP in hot water, brake cleaner and carb cleaner (sparingly- it's nasty stuff for the environment). I don't have a parts sink- I use empty buckets and storage bins. I don't want to take it to a machine shop because I believe it runs really well, and I'm told the heads were done. I'm pulling it apart expressly for cleaning, and replacing leaky gaskets- and a good visual inspection.

Any great ideas for cleaning parts, something that doesn't leave my fingertips raw and my hands, wrists, and elbows sore? I've heard the dish washer will do a good job. I've considered oven cleaner, even baking the parts in the oven. I want to paint the engine before it goes in so it has to be "paint worthy" clean. Next part I have to clean is the oil pan, and the valley pan. Today I worked mostly on the manifolds. I still have to clean the block.

And when I'm done, I'll pull out the trans and clean that too. Also the entire engine bay. There's at least a 1/4" of old grease and oil caked onto everything.

There's got to be a better way to clean all this stuff!
Old January 14th, 2024, 01:43 PM

Some machine shops will just clean items if that is requested. Diesel fuel or kerosene works well if you can use it outdoors and have a way of disposing of the waste.

For rusty items an electrolysis bath is cheap, effective and non-toxic.
Old January 14th, 2024, 02:35 PM

Soak it in the parts store degreaser and then pressure wash it. You'll get 97% like that. It's still not a particularly enjoyable job.
Old January 14th, 2024, 03:26 PM

I always liked diesel fuel. Diesel fuel can leave an oily residue, so I then washed it with a gallon can of alcohol from the home improvement stores.
Old January 14th, 2024, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by 66_Jetstar
Soak it in the parts store degreaser and then pressure wash it. You'll get 97% like that. It's still not a particularly enjoyable job.
I have a pressure washer, but all the water ends up on the floor- and all the crud. I thought about the pressure washer but I can't collect the waste. Scraping it into a drop cloth allows me to collect it and dispose of it. Parts store degreaser or diesel might be a thing. I can soak it, rub it with a brush and collect the drippings, or do it in a tub. Then, wash it with a degreaser and prep for paint. Anything to cut through the crud so it's not all "elbow grease". There's just so much to collect- the oil, trans fluid, coolant, then the degreaser, all the crap that gets scraped off. It becomes a hazardous waste site in my work shop. What a mess. I wish I could post a picture of the trans and cross member- it's nearly an inch thick under there, no lie. You can't even see the heads of the bolts until you gouge out the crud that's caked on everything. And of course I don't have a lift- I'm lying on my back and everything falls in my face. I just have to embrace it- get filthy, no quit! It's going to suck doing it, and no one will appreciate what it took to get it clean once it's done, but any fool can see a filthy greasy mess of a car, no matter how well it might run.
Old January 14th, 2024, 03:42 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Get a kiddy pool and put under it to catch all the crude.
Old January 14th, 2024, 04:10 PM

Gunk engine degreaser does the trick for me, with a pan underneath.
Old January 14th, 2024, 04:47 PM

Use a gasket scraper and putty knifes to scrape the heavy oil and grease off that is caked on stuff. Then lift engine over a plastic tub and use Gunk Engine Cleaner. Works best when stuff is warm. Lights will heat the parts up. Then use parts cleaner brushes and keep at it. Power wash is final stage of cleaning. Use good primer and paint. High Heat paints work good.
Old January 14th, 2024, 05:22 PM

Oven Cleaner and take to a do-it-yourself car wash to hose it down.

a good machine shop will have a hot tank and a baking maching if youre gonna tear it all the way down for a re-build
Old January 14th, 2024, 06:38 PM

Get as much off as possible with picks, brushes, whatever, then pressure wash whatever remains.
Old January 14th, 2024, 07:19 PM
Phantom Phixer

Not related to the cleaning .
But did you do a compression test to evaluate the condition of the rings and valves?
It's not too late if you put the starter back on.
Try the test dry, then add an ounce of oil to any low cylinders and see if the pressure comes up.
If it does, then the rings are leaking and it's a sign it needs a complete overhaul.
Not just a valve job.
All compression pressures should be within 10 percent of each other, in a healthy engine.
Old January 14th, 2024, 07:19 PM
72Cutlass S

https://duckduckgo.com/y.js?ad_domai...DevEx%2C5063.1

Use these to protect your hands and don't over think it. Your engine rebuild is probably one in 100,000,00. In a world with over 8 billion people. Your enviro impact is almost nil.
Old January 15th, 2024, 04:21 PM

You might check with some of the local garages and see if they have a hotsey steam cleaner. It's like a pressure washer but with boiling hot water.
Old January 15th, 2024, 06:32 PM

I would think an engine that filthy has a lot of miles and not much lovin. The inside might look as bad as the outside. I would do a complete tear down and inspection.
Old January 15th, 2024, 06:36 PM

I would think an engine that filthy has a lot miles and not much lovin. The inside might look as bad as the outside. I would do a complete tear down and inspection.
Old January 15th, 2024, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by gs72
don't over think it. Your engine rebuild is probably one in 100,000,00. In a world with over 8 billion people. Your enviro impact is almost nil.
My thoughts exactly. Somebody’s been trying to make you feel way more guilty than you should.
Old January 15th, 2024, 08:43 PM
72Cutlass S

Originally Posted by aqua67w30
I would think an engine that filthy has a lot miles and not much lovin. The inside might look as bad as the outside. I would do a complete tear down and inspection.

If the engine had good oil pressure and wasn’t burning oil. Leave the internals alone. At the most I would replace the head gaskets if the rest was healthy.
Old January 16th, 2024, 07:52 AM

i will repeat what a few have said already, scrape off as much as you can first, then its not as messy. good luck
Old January 16th, 2024, 11:42 AM

My first round for the heavy stuff is usually a paint scraper, broad flathead screwdriver....or a wire whell.
The gear oil, road grime, sand and stones on this trans was just incredible. Never saw anything like it. It was 3/8" and solid!
Wire wheeled it with a drop cloth underneath.

Old January 16th, 2024, 12:06 PM

I would rather have 3/8 of gunk than it be rusty. Look at how nice it is.
Old January 16th, 2024, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Koda
I would rather have 3/8 of gunk than it be rusty. Look at how nice it is.
100% Leaks are rustproofing.

The heavy stuff gets tool action. A putty knife and razor or utility knife blades are my go-tos.
Old January 16th, 2024, 04:43 PM

Pressure washer but after that I use a parts brush and other things but the the main thing I do is dangerous if you are not paying close attention. I use a really large pan under the engine outside with about a gallon of gas. I use a parts brush and start cleaning. The greasy nasty gas drips into the pan and I just keep reusing it till the majority is clean. Then have to do a final cleaning with a little fresh clean gas. There are many things you can use safer than gas and nearly as good.
Old January 16th, 2024, 07:23 PM

Stodard solvent works great and is way less dangerous. I know people who have been caught up in a gasoline fire and the outcome was not good.