General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Bad day on the road

Search this Thread

Old September 21st, 2020 | 05:26 PM

Bad day on the road

It was a nice day here, so I took the Olds out for a drive. Had to go on a detour down a narrow country road. There was a bit of traffic going both ways.
Whoopa....a big doe shot between two cars going the other way and slammed head first straight into the drivers door. Not pretty. I have deer hair still in the door handle. The window still works so that's a plus.
Now I have to find a body and fender man that can do the job and paint. Not sure where to go. I'm up up far NW Virginia, I can see West Virginia from the back yard. See. what I can find
Old September 21st, 2020 | 06:01 PM
Running On Empty

Glad you are OK, cars are cars. You're living the dream in the Blue Ridge. I ride my Indian motorcycle in your area frequently. Did you bring any venison home with you, besides deer hair?
Old September 21st, 2020 | 07:17 PM

Got wrinkles or bad creases or good insurance? Maybe a paintless dent guy can pull it out . Sometimes they can work miracles.
Somehow most of my wife's have totaled a car or two while living up here. One of the hazards of mountain life..... Tedd
Old September 21st, 2020 | 07:57 PM

It's not that minor. I had to get out the passenger's door. Unfortunately the dented in area goes into the bottom of the door where it changes direction and disformed that area. But it appears to be limited to the door, which is good.
Old September 22nd, 2020 | 09:46 AM
Oldsdruid

It's time of year they're on the move. I left the house at 1930 last night and I have a 1/4 mile run to the main road. Came out of the wooded section and two of them came bounding across the road. Had to brake hard to avoid them. Then you always wonder how many more are gonna come barreling along behind them. I've seen a herd of 7 in that field.

The fact that the Commonwealth doesn't manage its livestock very well adds to the hazard. And, like you, I live right on the state line so have to deal with NC deer as well as VA deer. They're stupid critters to begin with so they sure don't know anything about state lines!😄

Depending on color and age of the paint, this might turn into a color matching nightmare. Good luck.
Old September 22nd, 2020 | 10:57 AM

Glad that you are ok. I'm sure insurance will fix your Olds as good as new.
Old September 22nd, 2020 | 08:06 PM

The funny thing was, there was a Deer Crossing sign about a 1/4 mile up the road. Don't know why the stupid deer wasn't crossing there.

Talked to the body and fender guy today. He is searching for a replacement door or skin. We'll have to see how he goes.