General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Almost a Disaster

Search this Thread

Old January 26th, 2010, 06:35 PM

Almost a Disaster

So you think your car is parked safely in the garage, out of the way (far end), and covered for the winter. Think again. I got up for work this morning and there is a long note on the kitchen cabinet from my 21 year old daughter explaining how she got home late last night she stopped in front of the garage with her car running, she was digging in her purse, took her foot off of the break without thinking, and before she knew it the car advanced and ran into the garage door. She was very apologetic and offered to pay for the damage. I didn't worry to much as I read to this point, not until she wrote "Don't worry I didn't hit your car".

Now I got excited and ran out into the garage. Sure enough the garage door was pushed in 2' and was 6" from the back bumper of the Cutlass. That was to close for comfort for me Also the bottom two sections of the door were pulled out of the track and the top two were almost falling down which could have fallen right on the trunk if the rollers came out of the track. I kicked the door sections back against the opening and held it back in place with some wire, 2x4s, & pipes. I was getting late for work now and she was sleeping and while I was securing the door I had cooled down some from my initial state of mind. I ran in the house and wrote her a quick note back for when she woke up: "The door is going to be quite expensive for you to replace". After work we discussed the accident and even laughed a little, but dad is still going to make her responsible for pay for the door. The quote I got today to replace the door is $750. The door is obsolete so repair panels are not available and they will not even be a perfect match for the other two.

Anyone else have any close calls with your collector cars being damaged during storage?
Old January 26th, 2010, 06:41 PM

Phew! That was a close call
Old January 26th, 2010, 07:02 PM

My EX-wife was going to be nice and pull my 1959 vette out to wash it, she forgot she didn't drive a standard, turned the key without putting the cluch it and ran it into the block wall of the garage!!! She was nice though and put the car cover back on it real nice and neat. Didn't mention a word when I was trying to figure out where someone had hit it in a parking lot. After the divorce and the car was sold to give her 1/2 she mentioned it. Long time ago, I'm over it now,but would like to have the car back.
Old January 26th, 2010, 07:16 PM
GM Enthusiast

My horror story was that the garage roof over my 63 Riviera developed a leak, eventually gave way and the sheet rock fell on my car. I was away and came home probably about two days after it happened. Imagine my surprise when I opened the garage door and saw a big piece of sheet rock laying on roof and back window!

Since I had a thick sheet over the top of the car, it protected the paint from any scratches. Miraculously, it fell on the back roofline where the metal is very thick and did not do any damage.
Old January 26th, 2010, 07:26 PM

Does a possum getting in the garage and leaving muddy pawprints all over the car count?
Old January 26th, 2010, 07:30 PM

I saw this on another site a couple of years ago. It was NOT a close call, but a deliberate act by the mans wife. I am not posative as to what set her off, but as you can see there was plenty of carnage. I want to say it had something to do with a flat tire on her Escalade or something that she wanted changed NOW and he had been up late and wanted to take care of it in a couple hours or something like that, but don't quote me on that.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P1010169.jpg (56.2 KB, 151 views)
P1010021-1.jpg (58.0 KB, 149 views)
P1010022-1.jpg (56.4 KB, 147 views)
P1010023.jpg (52.7 KB, 146 views)
P1010028-1.jpg (48.7 KB, 146 views)
Old January 26th, 2010, 07:33 PM

And the rest of it.

As you can see she rammed the back of the mustang pushing it into the garage and the back of the impala SS and then out the back of the garage.

She even got the lawn mower.

Attached Images
P1010030-1.jpg (57.9 KB, 145 views)
P1010034-1.jpg (60.5 KB, 145 views)
P1010035-1.jpg (50.4 KB, 144 views)
P1010037-1.jpg (60.9 KB, 145 views)
P1010039-1.jpg (52.8 KB, 144 views)
Old January 26th, 2010, 07:38 PM

Here is the Escalade...push bar and all.

The tire in question.

Attached Images
Image060.jpg (50.8 KB, 142 views)
Image061.jpg (50.0 KB, 143 views)
Image062.jpg (50.2 KB, 143 views)
Image063.jpg (46.3 KB, 142 views)
Old January 26th, 2010, 10:58 PM

Wow that lady is a moron. She messed up all 3 cars because a tire was flat. I wonder what the insurance company told them
Old January 27th, 2010, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Wasted
. I wonder what the insurance company told them
You mean what the life insurance agent said to him?

Dang, what idiots there are in this world.... Hope she at least got put in a mental ward.

Doug - Glad it was not the car but just the door. Yes, she should be responsible about it and glad she told you the truth. The door probably needed replacement anyway.

I accidentally nick or scratch my cars in storage, maybe one time a year or so. I has a bolt pop off of my garage door when the opener failed and shot the bolt at the Olds, but it was a very small nick.
Here a bigger garage would prevent all this.
Old January 27th, 2010, 06:34 AM
Registered

It almost looks like that Escalade drove up on top of that Rustang.
Maybe Tiger was trying to get away before and we didn't hear about it?

Now you mightaswell replace all the doors with some nice insulated steel ones and insulate and heat the garage if it isn't already.
That one new door is going to make the rest of the garage look really bad. It's like putting a new door handle on your car, next thing you know it's a frame-off... mightaswell.

I did a job where the lady drove her Gremlin through the back wall of the garage and it hinged up and went back down. The women was sitting stuck in the car down in a wooded ravine behind the garage for hours because nobody could see anything wrong just looking in the garage.
Kids playing found her.

My buddy with a '66 goat stores his car in a apartment building parking garage. There was a utility access door in the ceiling above it and some maintenance guy stood on then walked across his roof to get into it, dent city and nobody knew nothing of course.
The body guy didn't even get them all out either, Stevie Wonder could of done a better job, seriously.
Old January 27th, 2010, 06:36 AM
Old(s) Fart

Mother Nature gets a few in too. At Carlisle a few years ago, there was a pristine, all original, very low mileage 56 Chevy being sold for parts. It too had been parked safely in the garage when a large tree took out both the garage and the car. The roof of the car was pushed down to the tops of the doors in the center where the tree fell on it and the frame appeared to be similarly bent. The seller had photos of the tree and garage. It was really sad.
Old January 27th, 2010, 06:36 AM
Cutlass Lover

Wow...... What a crazy bitc*!!!!!! She really should be in a mental ward somewhere! It's a wonder he didn't go postal on her! I'm sure he could have gotten off with a temporary insanity plea! If all that is just from having a flat tire that couldn't be fixed "right away", I'd hate to see what would have happened had something been really wrong!! I would think it safe to assume they are no longer married?
Old January 27th, 2010, 07:55 AM

Ha! My son did the same thing about 6 months ago. Home from college, came in late one nite and ran into the garage door. Also said his foot slipped off the brake. Did not hit cars inside. I had to take the door apart to get my wife's car out. $800 to repair the door.
Old January 27th, 2010, 08:43 AM

Quick note-- don't **** momma off. Andy
Old January 27th, 2010, 08:51 AM

Old January 27th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by cutlassgal
Wow...... What a crazy bitc*!!!!!! She really should be in a mental ward somewhere! It's a wonder he didn't go postal on her! I'm sure he could have gotten off with a temporary insanity plea! If all that is just from having a flat tire that couldn't be fixed "right away", I'd hate to see what would have happened had something been really wrong!! I would think it safe to assume they are no longer married?
Don't be so hard one her Sandy, I thought you were all "sistahs".

It was never mentioned that she left for work and after about ten minutes she turned around and went back home when she realized that the tire was going flat.
When she went in the house to ask her husband about getting the tire changed she caught him in a very awkward position with their college co-ed babysitter a goat and a masked dwarf Mexican wrestler.

It was hasta la vista and El Kabong mode after that.

"All right in there Babalooey?"

"S'all right Queeks Draw, that crazy beetch gone yet?"
Old January 27th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Cutlass Lover

Well..... you thought wrong, now didn't ya??? Like I used to tell Marc.... we are NOT all sistahs.... very few in my sistah category!

....When she went in the house to ask her husband about getting the tire changed she caught him in a very awkward position with their college co-ed babysitter a goat and a masked dwarf Mexican wrestler.

It was hasta la vista and El Kabong mode after that.

"All right in there Babalooey?"

"S'all right Queeks Draw, that crazy beetch gone yet?"

You crack me up!!!!!
Old January 27th, 2010, 11:02 AM

Back in 06' just after my car was painted, I brought it home and parked it in the garage. My daugher came flying into the garage on her bike, did not see the car, and ran into the side of it. It put a nice ding on the rear quarter, and a nice long scratch down the side. She was not hurt, but was afraid to come in the house....She was only ten at the time, and did'nt know the car was home. It was at the shop for about two months. My body guy repaired it no charge. Great guy.
Old January 28th, 2010, 12:51 PM

Now that is a really close call It's good your daughter was honest about it. She could have played it off like someone hit the garage and drove off.

Ben
Old January 28th, 2010, 03:01 PM

That's exactly why I put agreed value on my '69 while it waits for it's restoration. My neighbor had a tree that was half rotted and LARGE, I thought."if that thing goes, It'll take out he garage and the car." Well, two years ago during a storm, I heard a CRACK, and thought "oh Sh*t! where's it gonna land? WHUMP!! good thing it fell to the south instead of the west, or it would have flattened everything, if not the garage then the house.