General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Anyone ever get bored with their car?

Search this Thread

Old October 7th, 2013, 08:53 AM
Administrator

The real question here is...why are you bored with it?
Old October 7th, 2013, 09:01 AM

My cutlass I have now is my first classic car and the start of this hobby for me. I have had it for almost 2 years and realized the project part of the hobby is as important to me as the owning and driving it. I have been going back and forth the last couple of months trying to decide if I want to keep it or sell it and start a new project. The thing that worries me is that I will regret selling it shortly after I do. I know one thing that changes my mind is the attention it gets when I do drive it. I guess the point is I understand, if it got to the point where I didn't really enjoy driving it anymore I would sell it.
Old October 7th, 2013, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by chadman
Slap a 500HP big block in it. It will get un-boring real quick.
Agreed! Everytime I get feeling a little bored with mine, I can just go out and open her up for a little fun. It's very refreshing. Change it to what you like and just keep the original engine or anything else you might like to change. I still have my original 350/Turbo350 setup in the garage. A built 455 will blow you away with the difference over the "Original" 350. Have some fun with your car!
Old October 7th, 2013, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
That was me. After I got the automatic in I bought out the barn full of cars and never had time. The Automatic didn't help anyway. I still don't enjoy this car anymore. I just done some work to it last week and getting ready to drive it some. It gets 16 MPG and my truck is 10 so I plan to drive it a good amount till the weather turns bad just to save me a little gas. I live on rock/dirt roads so that is another reason I don't like driving them.

I understand It would drive me nuts to go up and down a dirt road.
Old October 7th, 2013, 05:46 PM

Tony72Cutlass"S" AND Chadman definitely the two best suggestion...imo! I was getting bored with my 69 442.I did the engine swap,now I'll try Tony's idea...that sounds like fun.
Old October 7th, 2013, 05:53 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Ziff396 is spot on. I don't drive my car that much but sometimes I got the itch for an adrenaline rush and I take it for a joy ride and beat the tar out of it.
Old October 7th, 2013, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by firefrost gold
I understand It would drive me nuts to go up and down a dirt road.
What really sucks is that I grew up in this house. My parents sold it when I was 18 because they were tired of rock roads. Right after they sold it they paved all the roads. The last people lost the house to the bank so my wife and I got it back from the bank. I was so excited because they paved the roads out here. Right after we moved in we had a hard winter and it messed up the roads so they decided to go back to rock. Now i hear through the grapevine that they want to make people like me put up a privacy fence so the do gooders don't have to look at my cars. I am 7 miles from town so they need to mind there own business! I think they have something against the jensen's, lol. Sorry for the rant.

Last edited by jensenracing77; October 7th, 2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old October 7th, 2013, 06:00 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Thanks to everyone for all the input,it's been some very interesting reading.

To clarify for one member who posted,my car is not a W-30,just a regular Cutlass S.

To answer the question of why I'm bored with it. I really would love a true pedigree W-30 but cannot afford the real deal. I bought this car with the intention of turning it into a Cutlass with all the W-30 goodies. I have purchased some of the parts needed.I still need some parts.Then the economy took a dump and I have no more disposable income to put into the car,so my quest of having an owner built W-30 has been put on hold for some time now.

Another issue I've been having, a little over a year ago I lost all my motivation and energy to do anything.I used to come home from work,head out to the garage and work on my cars or work in the yard.Not anymore,just to tired.I've been to the doctor a couple different times telling him of my problem,he's ran tons of tests and finds no medical problems.I guess I just hit the age where I slowed down.

I really don't like the thought of selling my cars. I will hang onto them. One thing I have learned about myself over the years is I have or had alot of hobbies,if I get tired of one I set it to the side and it's there waiting for me when I'm ready to return.

Thanks to everyone for their input and ideas.This board is great.I don't post alot anymore but usually always check in and do some reading every other day or so.

Old October 7th, 2013, 06:03 PM

I just drink a red bull on the way home from work that perks me up lol.
Old October 7th, 2013, 06:11 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Wish I could try a red bull. Can't,still taking heart medication.
Old October 7th, 2013, 06:27 PM

Oh sorry . I was not aware of your heart condition. Having some sort of illness will slow you down a bit. Last year I went through a pretty rough health ordeal and it really snowballed it took all of my drive away. Im only 24 but I didn't mess with my stuff for a 3 or 4 months until I got back into rhythm. Although I cant relate on being older I have seen it first hand with my dad. It went from watching may dad do brakes to me fixing all his stuff lol.

Last edited by coppercutlass; October 7th, 2013 at 06:33 PM.
Old October 7th, 2013, 06:39 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

No big deal,no need to apologize,it's no secret...getting older sucks!
Old October 7th, 2013, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by drjr56
Tony72Cutlass"S" AND Chadman definitely the two best suggestion...imo! I was getting bored with my 69 442.I did the engine swap,now I'll try Tony's idea...that sounds like fun.
Wait wait, which suggestion?

packin' a few ladies into the car or making a fool out of some yuppie in a new-age sports car
Old October 8th, 2013, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Tony72Cutlass'S'
Wait wait, which suggestion?

packin' a few ladies into the car or making a fool out of some yuppie in a new-age sports car
They both sound like a blast to me!
Old October 8th, 2013, 04:39 AM

All three will work for me.The 500hp buildup very cool,the young ladies should like the feel of that...and blowing the yuppies away with a 40 year old Musclecar... who don't like that.

Last edited by drjr56; October 8th, 2013 at 04:42 AM.
Old October 8th, 2013, 06:36 AM

Yep its time to step away a bit and focus on other things. I know when I lived up north the winter always made it special to take a car out again after being stored for the winter. I dont get bored thanks to my job. Being gone 6-9mth outta the year I am itching to start up the hotrods and motorcycles again. I have a pile of parts at friends houses waiting for me to come pickup when I get home. For me its the building and cruising I enjoy. My 66 will become the long trip cruiser but with some punch whiel my 71 will become the tire shredding sideways driving car. But they will get there in due time. First up is my bike 1000 bike that has been down for over a year with a wiped. My problem is always whihc one do I start first? :-) MAW's get very dangerous once parts start coming off anything of mine. My friends love to take a ride in the cars and I love ot open them up and enjoy the feel.
Old October 8th, 2013, 08:13 AM
Administrator

I just had a heart attack and know full well about days with no motivation. However, I refuse to be a couch potato, I have to do something. Currently I have a few financial issues relating to the medical costs I have to work through. I just plan and budget for my repairs and mods and work from there.

What keeps me motivated is I have a group of guys that I hang out with and a friend that has a backyard full of projects. We are like a small car club and get together every Thurs night at a local parking lot which attracts others and just started growing. I also go over to the guy with all the projects on Sundays and help him with his stuff, so I still get all the fun of working on stuff and none of the expense. When I have a big project of my own, he in turn helps me. Projects go better when you have a buddy.

When I had my heart attack I was really depressed as I am only 55 and was in decent shape, I am trying not going to let it get the best of me.

Last edited by oldcutlass; October 8th, 2013 at 08:20 AM.
Old October 8th, 2013, 08:38 AM

oldcutlass..sounds like you got a good plan going there,keep it fun.All the people dealing with health issues,number 1 priority TAKE CARE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT MACHINE YOU GOT.. YOURSELF! none of us are getting any younger.And if it's possible keep pressing play...and find something to keep ya motivated.
Old October 8th, 2013, 11:38 AM
Cutlass Lover

Sometimes I look at Teepo and think "damn I'm too tired to clean you", lol. Seems I just don't have the energy anymore. But then I get to polishing on her and I feel better. She wins a lot of awards, but she's a driver. God, I love to drive her!!! Just that old car smell when I open the door makes me feel young again, lol. Nothing like the ride of the Oldsmobile... like riding on your sofa, lol! Just kinda floats down the road. Take a little break from the car and hopefully when you go back to it, your excitement level will be up some!

There's so much I'd like to do to Teepo but I don't have the money, the smarts or the time, and I get disgusted when I look at her and think about what I'd like to do and can't. But only for a minute. Then I see her for what she is..... a 41 year old survivor that I am very proud of and very fortunate to own... little rock chips and all, lol! Good luck to you!
Old October 8th, 2013, 06:44 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Thanks all for the additional comments.
Old October 8th, 2013, 10:41 PM
NOVICE car nut

oldcutlass , I know how you feel . I feel like I'm three steps away from a heart attack myself , and I'm only 47 . I have a bad heart valve , and it's been getting real noticeable as of late . If it wasn't for that , I would be extremely healthy .
Old October 9th, 2013, 06:34 AM

Heart valves have come a long way! In the late 80's we released a bi-leaflet mechanical heart valve that had ZERO failures in 20 years. I did a huge research on them in 2009 and came up with some incredible data. It blew my mind.

The company that makes these valves are SJM (Saint Jude Medical)

If you guys can help me with choosing a good engine gasket set, i can help with heart valve manufacturer :P
Old October 9th, 2013, 06:47 AM
Administrator

LOL, I don't need a heart valve thankfully, but Felpro is the way I'd go on a gasket set. You have to but the intake set separately.
Old October 9th, 2013, 07:25 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Heart valves have come a long way! In the late 80's we released a bi-leaflet mechanical heart valve that had ZERO failures in 20 years. I did a huge research on them in 2009 and came up with some incredible data. It blew my mind.
St Jude valves are good, if you don't mind all of your friends turning toward you when the room is quiet, one by one, with funny looks on their faces, wondering whether you've swallowed a cuckoo clock.

- Eric
Old October 9th, 2013, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
St Jude valves are good, if you don't mind all of your friends turning toward you when the room is quiet, one by one, with funny looks on their faces, wondering whether you've swallowed a cuckoo clock.

- Eric
LOL, it's true they are really loud
Old October 9th, 2013, 07:45 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

It happens to us all!, I went for my cab drivers medical a few days ago, now I'm on blood pressure medication.
A few years ago I climbed and ran round Uluru (Ayers Rock) in Australia in 95 degree heat, I can still do a sub 5 minute mile and feel great. Or I did until got my prescription.
My all night partying days are behind me now, both my parents died of heart failure, I think I know what will finish me off.
Dammit!, I'm only 58, I was hoping to spend my kids inheritance when I retired. Better get spending now perhaps?.

Roger.
Old October 9th, 2013, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by rustyroger
It happens to us all!, I went for my cab drivers medical a few days ago, now I'm on blood pressure medication.
A few years ago I climbed and ran round Uluru (Ayers Rock) in Australia in 95 degree heat, I can still do a sub 5 minute mile and feel great. Or I did until got my prescription.
My all night partying days are behind me now, both my parents died of heart failure, I think I know what will finish me off.
Dammit!, I'm only 58, I was hoping to spend my kids inheritance when I retired. Better get spending now perhaps?.

Roger.
You're from england right?? How hard is it to get my cutlass drivable on the road in the UK.

I have a job oppotunity just outside london and i'm not moving if i can't bring the cutlass.
Old October 10th, 2013, 03:19 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

You're from england right?? How hard is it to get my cutlass drivable on the road in the UK.

I have a job oppotunity just outside london and i'm not moving if i can't bring the cutlass.
Mechanical parts are easy to find even for older cars and not too expensive, they will cost more than your local Napa or Pep Boys though. Body panels are another story, you may need to get them shipped over.
Rock Auto do a fine service but shipping will always add to the price.

I met an American couple at the last show I went to, one was in the US Army, her husband worked at the military base in a civilian capacity, Uncle Sam shipped one of their cars for free, it cost them $1000 for their second car.

If your car is in good shape you shouldn't have any trouble getting it registered over here. One issue with post 1965 cars is they are required to have amber direction indicators separate from stop and tail lights. However that is easy to deal with. Left hand drive is not a problem at all.

Perhaps you could PM me with any questions you have, I'll do my best to help.

Roger.
Old October 10th, 2013, 05:21 PM

I don't get bored with my car but I do get burned out working on it, especially when I have to redo the few things I paid some local shop to do right the first time.
Old October 11th, 2013, 05:56 AM

I bought my 76 Ninety Eight Regency in November of 1975 and have never been bored with it.
Old October 11th, 2013, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by rustyroger
Mechanical parts are easy to find even for older cars and not too expensive, they will cost more than your local Napa or Pep Boys though. Body panels are another story, you may need to get them shipped over.
Rock Auto do a fine service but shipping will always add to the price.

I met an American couple at the last show I went to, one was in the US Army, her husband worked at the military base in a civilian capacity, Uncle Sam shipped one of their cars for free, it cost them $1000 for their second car.

If your car is in good shape you shouldn't have any trouble getting it registered over here. One issue with post 1965 cars is they are required to have amber direction indicators separate from stop and tail lights. However that is easy to deal with. Left hand drive is not a problem at all.

Perhaps you could PM me with any questions you have, I'll do my best to help.

Roger.
That would be great! Thanks alot
Old October 11th, 2013, 08:35 AM

Not bored,but also found other things to do with my time.I have thinned the herd down in the last few years,simply because I won't live long enough to restore all of them,let alone drive them,and I would like to leave a space open for those few cars that I have never owned yet,but would like to,when I find the right one.
The longer I have them,the more attached I am. I have my W-cars,but my 72 Supreme is by far my favorite.I've spent the most time working on it,driving it,and everything else.I'm just as happy driving it,as I am sitting in a chair,staring at it in my garage.