General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

442 paint stripes

Search this Thread

Old November 25th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Kjr442

442 paint stripes

Is a stencil made for the side stripes on a 71 to 72 442? Are the factory stripes hand painted,or what?
I know the assembly book has the specs on the stripes, just looking for more info,or helpful hints.
I have seen the W30 stripe stencil but not one for the 442. Can any one advise me on this?
Old November 25th, 2011, 07:07 PM

I've never seen a stencil but there are very detailed specifications in the Assembly Manual describing stripe thicknesses and placement on panels in relation to wheel openings, etc.
Old November 25th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Wow! I did not realize how hard it is to find a stencil for the thin stripes you are looking for. There is a lot of discussion on whether the sides are painted or decals. Recently I posted photos of an original *unmolested* 442 with the thin stripes. They appeared to be decals, but others say that's just the poor quality GM put into the painting they did back then. I know you want your car to be 'original' in all aspects. I'm curious about one thing though. If the W29 hood stripes were a decal, why wouldn't the side stripes be too? I looked at 'Stencils & Stripes', Fusicks, and Parts Place. They only have W30/W31 striping stencils. Wish I could be more help. If I were re-doing my stripes I would probably still go with decals. They don't cost much and they're easy to replace if needed.
Old November 25th, 2011, 09:59 PM
Kjr442

Originally Posted by Allan R
Wow! I did not realize how hard it is to find a stencil for the thin stripes you are looking for. There is a lot of discussion on whether the sides are painted or decals. Recently I posted photos of an original *unmolested* 442 with the thin stripes. They appeared to be decals, but others say that's just the poor quality GM put into the painting they did back then. I know you want your car to be 'original' in all aspects. I'm curious about one thing though. If the W29 hood stripes were a decal, why wouldn't the side stripes be too? I looked at 'Stencils & Stripes', Fusicks, and Parts Place. They only have W30/W31 striping stencils. Wish I could be more help. If I were re-doing my stripes I would probably still go with decals. They don't cost much and they're easy to replace if needed.
Thanks, I think from what I have seen the stripes look like they are paint,and maybe hand applied. I just don't know for sure.
Old November 25th, 2011, 10:46 PM

They were painted...not decals. 100% definite on this.

Either hand striped with a brush or applied with a paint roller pinstriping device (ie - Beugler striping tool). Either way they are paint and not decals/stickers.

Nobody makes a template to my knowledge as I have a customer that recently went through this. He checked with the template makers and they said "nope, no templates for the non-W car side stripes".

Assembly Manual has pretty good info on dimensions. However, placement isn't covered real well in the manual. You need to pay particular attention to how the stripes run from behind the rear wheel openings on back to the rear of the QP. You can mock them up and put them on as you like or try to follow an original paint car scheme.

Get the manual or copies of those pages and start from there.

Last edited by 70Post; November 25th, 2011 at 10:48 PM.
Old November 25th, 2011, 11:13 PM
Kjr442

Originally Posted by 70Post
They were painted...not decals. 100% definite on this.

Either hand striped with a brush or applied with a paint roller pin striping device (ie - Beugler striping tool). Either way they are paint and not decals/stickers.

Nobody makes a template to my knowledge as I have a customer that recently went through this. He checked with the template makers and they said "nope, no templates for the non-W car side stripes".

Assembly Manual has pretty good info on dimensions. However, placement isn't covered real well in the manual. You need to pay particular attention to how the stripes run from behind the rear wheel openings on back to the rear of the QP. You can mock them up and put them on as you like or try to follow an original paint car scheme.

Get the manual or copies of those pages and start from there.

Thank you, I kinda thought so. I have been told that some cars were pinstriped at dealerships too, I don't know if that is true or not.
It is hard to imagine that a lot of time was spent on striping these cars, so it must have been a tool of some kind as you say. I have seen some fast pin striper's with just a brush though.
Old November 25th, 2011, 11:24 PM

There's a GM factory picture floating around on the 'Net (I think you can find it on the GM Photoshop/Photostore? site) that shows a guy on an assembly line applying the side stripes on a '70 442. That's the double pinstripe scheme. It appears that he is using a Beugler type roller with some sort of guide they lowered down along the side of the car. Cool photo.

I figure they probably did something very similar for the '71/2 442 side stripes. If you look closely at a set of originals there are plenty of minor "defects" and evidence of some sort of hand application. Nowhere NEAR as sloppy as the typical W30 side stripes....the "neatness" of the non-W sidestripes makes the W sidestripes look like they were applied at some kindergarten fingerpainting session.

A dealership would do just about anything you wanted....remember, they got to charge extra $$ for stuff they did and it all stayed at the dealership.

Last edited by 70Post; November 25th, 2011 at 11:27 PM.
Old November 26th, 2011, 12:46 AM
Kjr442

Originally Posted by 70Post
There's a GM factory picture floating around on the 'Net (I think you can find it on the GM Photoshop/Photostore? site) that shows a guy on an assembly line applying the side stripes on a '70 442. That's the double pinstripe scheme. It appears that he is using a Beugler type roller with some sort of guide they lowered down along the side of the car. Cool photo.

I figure they probably did something very similar for the '71/2 442 side stripes. If you look closely at a set of originals there are plenty of minor "defects" and evidence of some sort of hand application. Nowhere NEAR as sloppy as the typical W30 side stripes....the "neatness" of the non-W sidestripes makes the W sidestripes look like they were applied at some kindergarten fingerpainting session.

A dealership would do just about anything you wanted....remember, they

got to charge extra $$ for stuff they did and it all stayed at the dealership.
Is this it? http://www.gmphotostore.com/Oldsmobi...artments/1003/
Old November 26th, 2011, 05:51 AM

That's it....look in the "Olds in the '70's" pics and you'll see it..appears to be an Azure Blue convert.
Old November 26th, 2011, 05:52 AM

original71stripes3.jpg Here are some from a 71, the painting of them was fast and most times original71stripes2.jpgmarginal at best.
Old November 26th, 2011, 08:23 AM

Very cool pic. Looks like they're using some sort of jig that goes the length of the car to apply the stripes.

By the way, my 70 only has two stripes so it is probably a little easier but I used the dimensions in the factory assembly manual to lay out the lines with tape and then paint the lines with a brush. So they are painted on but are probably straighter/neater than factory lines. I like the way they came out using this method. I had a local pin striper do it. I think it cost me $85 back in 2001.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
70 442 pin stripes.jpg (61.1 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by W70442; November 26th, 2011 at 08:29 AM.
Old November 26th, 2011, 08:43 AM
MOTORHEAD

lacquer paint
stripes painted
Attached Images
4four2 002.jpg (86.3 KB, 53 views)
4four2 004.jpg (107.1 KB, 44 views)