General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Isn't this the 'free' catalogue

Search this Thread

Old November 25th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Isn't this the 'free' catalogue

Seems to me that Year One includes this catalogue free with parts orders. Well they used to anyway. Someone know for sure?
Can't believe its being sold on ebay when there is a free on line catalogue
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ws/eBayISAPI....E:B:SS:CA:1123
Old November 25th, 2011, 12:42 PM

i just got a few parts from yearone and didn't get a catalogue
Old November 25th, 2011, 05:58 PM

I have a catalog from 2007 and it has a price of 6 bucks on it. Time to fleabay it I guess. YO has the highest prices of all suppliers, so I would think they would be sending catalogs to everyone! Of course we know they have jumped ont he paperless bandwagon like many other stupid companies.

A new Canon DSLR comes with no printed manual. A new 2009 Dodge Charger comes with no printed manual. Isn't this great?? It sucks when I rent a car and need to know what the 5 stupid pictures on the headlight switch means. In some areas, there are mandatory daytime headlight sections with cops all around!
So much for a nice camera case-size book that tells me what the 500 tiny pictures in the display means! Guess I have to print off a 100 page 8x11 version to fold in quarters and cram it in there.
Off the soapbox now...
Old November 25th, 2011, 06:16 PM

All you got to do is ask for it i just got mine.
Old November 25th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
A new 2009 Dodge Charger comes with no printed manual. Isn't this great?? It sucks when I rent a car and need to know what the 5 stupid pictures on the headlight switch means..
The Huyundai Equus (flagship model) doesn't come with a printed manual either. It comes with a digital notebook manual. You can find info faster on it than in a printed version. Plus most of the H dealers here have valet pickup/dropoff of your car when it needs servicing - part of the high end luxury package. You never have to go into the dealership again. Welcome to the world of today, Welcome to the world of technology! Isn't progress great?
Old November 25th, 2011, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Welcome to the world of technology! Isn't progress great?
It sucks.
I do not lug a notebook computer everywhere just so I can be prepared to put a dvd manual in and screw with that for 40 minutes just to find any info on a headlight switch. What if some goofy red picture lights up on the dash?
I can see cheap stuff being sold without books, but cars or high end electronics? Not at all. I cannot believe companies are going this cheap. Heck, try to get a spare tire with your new car - I dare ya! That camera is going back - they irritated me too much on being so cheap. My old S5 came with a great little manual.
Old November 25th, 2011, 06:41 PM
Just an Olds Guy

It sucks.
I do not lug a notebook computer everywhere just so I can be prepared to put a dvd manual in and screw with that for 40 minutes just to find any info on a headlight switch. What if some goofy red picture lights up on the dash?
ummm, ok. I did not post that to get you upset. My apologies. I also like having hardcopy to find stuff also. BTW the notebook for H is preloaded, all you do is open it to turn it on. Goes right to the index. type: dash symbols and it shows what you're looking at in real life
Spare tire with the car? You mean it's not required anymore??? Can't believe that. However if you're referring to the 'space saver' vs regular spare, I understand.

If a goofy red pic appears on the dash, it better be a bikini clad nympho who will guide you in the ways of the force! Darth Vader and Darth Mal both swear by this technology though. BTW, my little Canon A510 came with a manual that you'd need an engineering degree to understand. Still I managed to figure it out by playing with it a lot.
Hey! Wanna buy a camera - you have that degree!
Old November 25th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

What if some goofy red picture lights up on the dash?
I hate to tell you this, Rob, but all of those goofy red pictures, and all of those headlight hieroglyphics, are standardized international symbols that we are all expected to know cold, with no need to look in any books, in preparation for the coming of the New World Order.

As for the spare tires, Allan, check out the new GM cars - they come standard with NO SPARE AT ALL. You want one, you pay extra.
They claim it's to meet fuel economy standards.
Riiiiiiiight....

I remember in 1973 when the new A-bodies came out with rain gutters as an extra-cost option.
My grandfather said he'd never buy another GM car again, and he didn't, till the day he died.

- Eric
Old November 25th, 2011, 06:55 PM

No Allan, you did not upset me, these dumb cheap companies do. The rental cars come with DVD manuals. New cameras, none. Software - not even a PDF copy. Can't connect to the internet? You are SOL...
Many new cars come with a can of fix a flat and a tiny air compressor - no extra tire at all. About 50% of my punctures are in the friggin sidewall - fix-a-flat wont fix that.

A little electronic reader for your manual? Sounds neat, but how long with that last in a hot glovebox? I bet it will be dead only when it is needed. Don't drop it!

I have an A520 (it does all my garage pictures) and its manual is great! Compact and easy for me to understand. Fits in a waist pack for travel, too. Same with my A720, S2, and S5. Got too frustrated with trying to get a manual for the new DSLR - don't need that.

Technology is only good in moderation, like alcohol. And speaking of that, I need some......
Old November 25th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by MDchanic
As for the spare tires, Allan, check out the new GM cars - they come standard with NO SPARE AT ALL. You want one, you pay extra.They claim it's to meet fuel economy standards. Riiiiiiiight....- Eric
I had NO IDEA!! I guess the next order of business will be ' did you want brakes with that?"

Is that just GM, or have the others also followed suit? As you can see I don't shop for new cars a lot. Maybe I'll go kick some tires just to see if they'll 'throw in' the spare as a good gesture?

WTH happens if you break down somewhere in a brand new GM car and it's a flat? Does *onstar* or (and I use the term loosely) WARRANTY cover that?
Old November 25th, 2011, 07:08 PM

I had NO IDEA!! I guess the next order of business will be ' did you want brakes with that?"

Is that just GM, or have the others also followed suit?
Not just GM...
http://consumerist.com/2011/11/autom...ce-weight.html
Old November 25th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Well I guess that's going to be a big promotion for the 'run flat' tire! If they really wanted to reduce weight and make their cars lighter why don't they trim some of the fat off the upper mgmt who make these ridiculous decisions? Don't tell me they actually took a poll and asked the consumer if they would trade off a spare tire for fuel economy. You should see all the crap that most people carry in the back seat/trunk that more than offsets the weight of a spare tire. Oh, I guess that means the jack is 'extra' too? What a bunch of turds.
Old November 25th, 2011, 08:07 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Don't tell me they actually took a poll and asked the consumer if they would trade off a spare tire for fuel economy.
It's not the consumer, Allan, it's the federal fuel economy standards, which inch higher every year, as a matter not only of conservation policy, but of global military strategy - the lower our use of oil, the greater our international freedom to maneuver in the event of conflicts.

Automakers have a choice of spending money, such as by using more-expensive lighter alloys or carbon fiber, or of making money, such as by deleting the spare tire, and then having you, Joe Public, pay them for it as though it was an option. There are European manufacturers that will take the more expensive route, knowing that you'll fork out the extra scratch up front for a car you believe to be better-engineered, and then there are American manufacturers, which will throw you a false bargain, and then hit you up for a few "hidden extras" when it's time to write the check.

When you think about it, there are a wide variety of other parts that are not federally mandated, such as carpeting, soundproofing, comfortable seats (ever ride in a Citroën 2CV?), and roll-down windows, all of which could become "optional extras (wink wink)" in the name of "weight reduction."

GM and Chrysler bankruptcies, anyone?

- Eric
Old November 25th, 2011, 11:59 PM

Why buy one when all you have to do is go to their website to look at it.
Old November 26th, 2011, 06:13 AM

I stopped at Fusick last Friday on my way through CT. They gave me a new catalog for free with my $100 order
Old November 26th, 2011, 07:46 AM

Digital books and manuals are big today. I prefer to have a paper copy I can flip through for information, and have in front of me when I need it for reference. The DVDs are nice to carry around, but a pain to use, imo. My Oldsmobiles don't have radios or heaters, why would I want a computer for them, lol.
Old November 26th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Automakers have a choice of spending money, such as by using more-expensive lighter alloys or carbon fiber, or of making money, such as by deleting the spare tire, and then having you, Joe Public, pay them for it as though it was an option.

When you think about it, there are a wide variety of other parts that are not federally mandated, such as carpeting, soundproofing, comfortable seats (ever ride in a Citroën 2CV?), and roll-down windows, all of which could become "optional extras (wink wink)" in the name of "weight reduction."
- Eric
Interesting. I did some thinking about the usefulness of a 'spare tire'. In over 40 years of ownership I might have put a spare on once. Granted, I used to flip through cars too fast when I was young to worry about a flat. I'm also one of those guys who actually checks his tires at least once every 2 weeks. But since 1976? I've never had to use the spares (compact space saver) at all. When I sold my 83 Ninety Eight, the guy who bought it looked at the spare and was amazed it had never been used. Same with the 95 Regency Elite; when it made it's trip to the boneyard it's spare had never been used. The last new car I had with a regular spare tire was a 1978 VW diesel Rabbit.

On the flip side of this situation, I constantly see people driving around on their space saving spares and you can tell they've been on for quite some time. Heck, one guy passed me on the highway with his dinky tire on the car. I was going 70 mph and he must have been at least 85+. I looked at the spare one time and it says 'do not exceed 50 mph'. Maybe not having a spare is a good thing afterall?? It would force some people to get their tires fixed and have proper rubber on the ground at all times.

Originally Posted by Run to Rund
Digital books and manuals are big today. I prefer to have a paper copy I can flip through for information, and have in front of me when I need it for reference. The DVDs are nice to carry around, but a pain to use, imo. My Oldsmobiles don't have radios or heaters, why would I want a computer for them, lol.
Run,
Actually I prefer paper too. That's why I have copies of the CSM, Fisher Body, etc. Plus I get the 'old book smell'. (Usually the smell of grease and oil from the pages) The total irony of this thread and the context of digital vs hardcopy is that we use our 'puter' to generate the feedback. Not a criticism, just an observation. On the plus side it's convenient and doesn't cost anything.