General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

2010 Canadian Oldsmobile Nationals

Search this Thread

Old February 16th, 2010, 07:47 PM
olds..older..oldest

OCC caravan

Hey fellow Canadian Oldsmobiliacs! I was serious about having folks come up to my place in Barrie , spending some time here, and then ponying up for the trip to Bracebridge as the "Ultimate Olds Caravan"! ...BUT...just went through some cancer surgery two weeks ago and then got notified today by the Pathologist that..."they didn't get it all" , so I have to head back for more surgery on March 25/2010. Only mentioning this 'cause I may not be able to comment much on this site for the next little while [not that my feeble attempts to contribute will be missed much!]. I will be sure to get back in touch when things have settled down a bit , as I really want to see our OCC efforts succeed this year. Please count on getting together this August...trust me , time at our cottage alone is worth the trip!!
Old February 16th, 2010, 07:53 PM
Land Yacht Captain

Hey Derek. Looking forward to it.

Best of luck with your upcomming surgery!!
Old February 16th, 2010, 09:14 PM

All the best Derek for a speedy recovery.
Old February 16th, 2010, 10:47 PM

Road Trip? Did someone say, "Road Trip"?

I hope that my new 1967 Olds Delta 88 Custom Holiday Coupe will be ready by August 20, 2010.
If it's not ready... heads will roll!
Actually, if it's not ready by May 1st, I'll have to kick some serious butt!
Here's a pic of my new "California Black Plate" ride. I'm the 3rd owner.

rocket4.jpg
I have many questions about restoring it. I'll post them in the proper forum, when I have more time.

Last edited by Jaybird; February 16th, 2010 at 11:59 PM.
Old February 17th, 2010, 05:33 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by 442much
X2 or X10, whatever!
Please check back with us when you and and let us know how you're doing. You're in our thoughts and prayers!
Old February 17th, 2010, 10:55 PM

Thumbs up You'll git it Done

It strikes close to Home and we all know someone with it, so we'll beat it together..... No doubt about it!!! Please try to post if you can, we all need to stick together and DAMMIT August ain't that far away.
Old February 18th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Cutlass Lover

....It strikes close to Home and we all know someone with it, so we'll beat it together.....

Yep... what he said. I'm sorry to hear that news Derek. To put it bluntly, It Sucks!!! I hope all goes well with the surgery and recovery... you keep a positive outlook and have faith!! I'll keep you in my prayers - I'm a firm believer there is power in prayer!!!
Take care and try to keep in touch with us!!
Old February 23rd, 2010, 02:40 PM

I wish you all the best in your surgery/recovery Derek!!!

I went to the OCC last year for the first time and really liked the atmosphere, but the weather was awful. We camped the entire weekend regardless at Fanshawe. It took 2 hours of detailing the car at the show but it was so worth it..

It definately was a long drive to London as I couldn't push it over 55 MPH to nurse the noisy lifter (over 3+ hours) so this 1 hour or so drive will be a welcome change. There is a WHACK of Olds nuts in Woodbridge (they usually show up at the 400/Hwy 7 Monday cruise night) so let's hope they all come with their cars!

I am REALLY looking forward to it being in Bracebridge this year. Derek I do really like your idea if you are feeling up to it when the show comes!
Old February 24th, 2010, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Jaybird
Road Trip? Did someone say, "Road Trip"?

I hope that my new 1967 Olds Delta 88 Custom Holiday Coupe will be ready by August 20, 2010.
If it's not ready... heads will roll!
Actually, if it's not ready by May 1st, I'll have to kick some serious butt!
Here's a pic of my new "California Black Plate" ride. I'm the 3rd owner.

I have many questions about restoring it. I'll post them in the proper forum, when I have more time.

Glad to hear your enthusiasm on being able to join in on the friendship parade for OLDSMOBILES. Tally Ho Bracebridge!!! Hope the Delta is finished on time!!
Old February 25th, 2010, 02:25 AM

Talking What's up Doc

You better get better fast, because a lot of people won't be able to get sick until you get better...Best wishes-Richard
Old February 27th, 2010, 09:15 AM
Crazy Canuck

Hi Derek,

Get better soon. I live Barrie as well so if you need anything don't hesitate to ask.

I think I saw your car around this past summer (fall) at either Burger King or the Kozlov centre. Nice ride.

Keep smiling!!

Wayne
Old March 22nd, 2010, 04:34 PM
olds..older..oldest

Temporary setback

So the doc phones today with the sweetest words ever..."we got it all". Just looked back at some of the comments in this thread , and want to say a heartfelt thanks to all my CO family for their kind thoughts and prayers...they truly meant a lot to me and my family! Now , where were we...oh ya' ...the OCC meet in August. So to all the crazy Olds folks in southern Ontario , we need to get on track as far as whether we are really going to caravan up from Barrie or not. I've convinced my friend Bill Negrabienko to come up with his [?70] W30 442 that took 1st at the OCA meet 2 years ago in it's class. I'm hoping to have two boats in the water this summer and will try and get at least the Ontario CO faithful here out for a tour of Lake Muskoka during the weekend.So let's start talking and make this year's event so much better than last year's!
Old March 22nd, 2010, 05:04 PM
Crazy Canuck

Glad to hear the good news Derek!! I am in for this years meet in Bracebridge. I can meet in Barrie as well.

Wayne
Old March 22nd, 2010, 05:06 PM

Thats great news Derek,
good to see that they got all of it and you are on the road to recovery.
Steve
Old March 22nd, 2010, 06:29 PM

We'll be heading right through Barrie to get up to Bracebridge so I am sure me and my brother in law willl be in with our Oldsmobiles!! My buddy too with his 69 442 if he's still here... That's great news, Derek.. I am so glad to hear!!
Old March 22nd, 2010, 08:10 PM

too far sorry ill miss it,peel out for me and have a beer, stan

Last edited by stan 65 cutlass; March 23rd, 2010 at 08:20 AM.
Old March 22nd, 2010, 08:17 PM
Land Yacht Captain

Awesome news Derek. I can't even imagine the weight off your mind. 1964CutlassSC & are are in. Just tell us when & where to be.

Stan. Suck it up man & drive out here!!!!!!
Old March 22nd, 2010, 09:17 PM

flew the family out last year for a wedding(niagara falls) driving the gas hog out this year, doubtfull.betcha it would be a party though
Old March 23rd, 2010, 05:34 AM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by derek nesdoly
So the doc phones today with the sweetest words ever..."we got it all". Just looked back at some of the comments in this thread , and want to say a heartfelt thanks to all my CO family for their kind thoughts and prayers...they truly meant a lot to me and my family! Now , where were we...oh ya' ...the OCC meet in August. So to all the crazy Olds folks in southern Ontario , we need to get on track as far as whether we are really going to caravan up from Barrie or not. I've convinced my friend Bill Negrabienko to come up with his [?70] W30 442 that took 1st at the OCA meet 2 years ago in it's class. I'm hoping to have two boats in the water this summer and will try and get at least the Ontario CO faithful here out for a tour of Lake Muskoka during the weekend.So let's start talking and make this year's event so much better than last year's!
So glad to hear that Derek! Just what we need to hear, too. Onward!!!
Old March 23rd, 2010, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by stan 65 cutlass
too far sorry ill miss it,peel out for me and have a beer, stan
Well Stan, you can always join us in Olds, AB. on July 17th. Just sign up on the Northern Lights website.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 05:59 AM

Derek,

So happy to hear of your good news. May your biggest problems be parking space for your show this year!
Old March 23rd, 2010, 07:23 AM
Land Yacht Captain

Hey Ken quit trying to poach our participants!!!!!

Well Stan, you can always join us in Olds, AB. on July 17th. Just sign up on the Northern Lights website.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 09:28 AM
olds..older..oldest

maximizing the experience

Hey Ken , I know you've had a ton of hands on experience organizing and running your big summer show in Olds[ p.s. my uncle used to live there]. While I'm not in the OCC management team , do you have any suggestions as to how we can make our August show better? I could pass on those ideas to our board here in Ontario.We are trying to be "more visible" with increased mailings , and finally being on line with a website./sponsorship ideas...?event ideas to fill time around actual showing and judging. Look forward to your input , and thanks for your kind regards re. my health....Derek
Old March 23rd, 2010, 09:33 AM
Land Yacht Captain

One thing they need to do is update the OCC website! That website would have looked antique 10 years ago.

My brother inlaw and I were wondering why we never see them in the big Toronto shows like Performance World that just past. Many clubs had displays with cars at the show. Its only $35 each vehicle to enter the show.

There are prob. a number of people who own Oldsmobiles but have no idea there is a club.
Old March 24th, 2010, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by 66ninetyeightls
Hey Ken quit trying to poach our participants!!!!!
The guys in the Flordia Olds clubs were mad at me for trying to get the WA, ID and MT Olds people to come to our show too.
Old March 24th, 2010, 11:42 AM
Land Yacht Captain

Seriously????? I was just joking around. Seems silly to get upset over that. People will go where they want to go. Simple as that.
Old March 24th, 2010, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by derek nesdoly
Hey Ken , I know you've had a ton of hands on experience organizing and running your big summer show in Olds[ p.s. my uncle used to live there]. While I'm not in the OCC management team , do you have any suggestions as to how we can make our August show better? I could pass on those ideas to our board here in Ontario.We are trying to be "more visible" with increased mailings , and finally being on line with a website./sponsorship ideas...?event ideas to fill time around actual showing and judging. Look forward to your input , and thanks for your kind regards re. my health....Derek
I wouldn't exactly call our show "big" and from what I've heard, your's is a pretty good show. "Better" is a open for debate. What might be better for you, others may hate and vice-versa.

If you are not on the planning team get on it. Get involved with the OCC executive by running for a position. Car clubs almost have to beg members to help out. If you are looking for ideas here to help out and you're not involved, I'm sure they'd love to have your enthusiasm on the planning committee.

Think of what you like when you go to other car shows and see if that would work for your show. Canvas businesses and ask for door prizes. We try to have a door prize for every participant. Only last year did we not attain this due to the unexpected number of cars. This year we hope to be ready.

See the thread in this forum on "What makes a good Car Show". Opinions vary, but if the particpants leave happy and enjoyed themselves, it was a good show in my opinion.

Put ads in the Bargain Finder or similar magazine. Let the newspapers know. Put your poster on Kijiji. I did that last year. Last year Hemmings printed our show in a their Classiic Car magazine without me knowing, until a writer from Toronto called me to write a story out our show and told me. Having an Oldsmobile show in a town called Olds brings its own attention. Some shows here have themes. One example is a show that hands out a prize or trophy or tickets to a car museum for participants who are considered the best dressed for the era of their car. One couple last year had a multi-coloured "fro" bell bottomed jeans and hippies get up with peace signs and all to go with their 1970's car.

Go to Car Domain.com and look up Oldsmobile owners for Ontario and invite them (if non-members are welcome). Then do the same for northern NY, PA, OH etc. You'll attract a lot of people that way. That's what I did. I targeted AB, BC, SK, MB, WA, ID, MT. Our show is open to owners of Oldsmobiles whether they are members or not. Non members just pay more to get in. Just use your imagination and the internet. Best of luck with the show.

We have some members in Ontario, if you send me a poster of your show, I'll put it in our newsmagazine. It's a 26 page quarterly magazine with articles, events (open to Oldsmobiles) "How to" articles and a two pages of Classified. We also have members in AZ and TX who joined just for the newsmagazine. So it's well read. We'll help get the word out about your show.
Old March 24th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Land Yacht Captain

All awesome ideas!!!
Old March 28th, 2010, 10:22 AM

Ok, I know I am a little late with this, but great to hear the good news Derek.

I am tossing around the idea of going to the OCC Nationals this years, since they are closer for me this year.

Derek, is your caravan offer open to CO members from eastern ontario as well?
Old March 28th, 2010, 10:49 AM
olds..older..oldest

Open Invite

Car Designer...Thanks for the well wishes... Oldsmobile fanatics from EVERYWHERE are more than welcome to" join our merry band"!!If we can get quite the caravan , I'll try and get the local media out to video and photograph the event. I just got in from dropping off some shirts and a jacket for custom embroidery work featuring 442's , Olds logos etc. Will wear them proudly at the August event...Y'all come down now , ya' hear ?!
Old August 19th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Land Yacht Captain

This is the weekend weve been waiting for. Hopefully the weather man was drinking when he predicted rain all weekend.
Old August 19th, 2010, 06:48 PM

Agreed Craig. I noticed the U.S. Nationals was rain almost all weekend so could be as lucky? Let's hope they are wrong!!!