General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

2010 Olds Nationals, Sturbridge Ma.

Search this Thread

Old June 3rd, 2010, 10:08 AM

2010 Olds Nationals, Sturbridge Ma.

Well, less than 3 weeks until registration closes for this year's Olds Nationals. I'm starting this thread in order to answer questions that anyone may have.
This will be the first time in the 40 years since OCA started that a National event will be held in the Northeast where it all began. We are hoping to make this one to remember.
Additional info on-line at www.neolds.com.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 06:29 PM
2 '66 98's

I'm registered! Will be there from Wed to Sun. Holiday Sedan will be in the Street Stock class. We will be staying at the Super8 - was too late to get in the host hotel. Hope to meet some of you guys there. Bruce
Old June 3rd, 2010, 07:52 PM
Old(s) Fart

Got my confirmation back weeks ago. I'll be there Wed night to Sunday also. Staying with family in the Worcester area. See ya all at the welcome party.
Old June 3rd, 2010, 10:21 PM

Im there Wed-Sun also. Even though i am only 15 miles away
Old June 4th, 2010, 09:41 AM

Update: We have been getting numerous phone calls and e-mails about show spots, trip and room availability:
We are currently over 300 show cars which means we have room for about 150 more
The Host hotel, Super 8 and Hampton Inn are all booked but we just freed up two rooms at the Host. Other area blocked hotels are still taking reservations also. Other openings may also happen soon.
Trips need to be locked in by 6/21 to determine bus requirements. ALL trips still have plenty of room.
Send those registrations in ASAP
Old June 4th, 2010, 10:49 AM
1971 442 convert

Looking forward to it boy those rooms went fast I just called and they are already gone. Hope to get there Thursday to Sunday.
Old June 4th, 2010, 04:49 PM

I would love to go but my wife had surgery that put her out of work for quite some time and may go back to work next week. I don't think they would be happy with her taking days off so soon after coming back. They probably view this as a vacation. On top of that my migraines have been bad lately to the pointg that my car has sat more than a week with the water pump off. And the wife's car needs an engine in it. We made the mistake of yanking the SBC without having a good Olds to throw in it. We had one we thought was good till we pull the valve covers and intake to find hard clumps of sludge, so i guess that one will get rebuilt. And we got her a cool aluminum master cylinder and need to replumb the front brakes.
Old June 5th, 2010, 10:54 AM

Juju and I (and five other couples from Texas) will be driving up, leaving the Saturday prior, and staying at the Host Hotel Tuesday-Sunday. We are driving the '92 Custom Cruiser, entered for judging (also insures a good parking spot!). Will be starting the detailing soon, but after driving 2000 miles to get there, will have to do it again, I'm sure. Anxious to meet any/all who are on CO; will look for Joe P with all the answers. Sorry that Stickman and wife will not make it, would love to meet, and love to see the wagon(s).
Aron
Old June 5th, 2010, 12:04 PM

I would love to go as i am just south of sturbridge in Providence R.I BUT I'm hopeing the new radiator comes in in time the old leaky stock one just wont make the ride and I dont dare trailer it up lol probly get laughed all the way home haha
Old June 5th, 2010, 05:26 PM

Please post the dates and exact location.

Thanks
Old June 5th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by My442
Please post the dates and exact location.

Thanks
http://www.oldsclub.org/NationalMeet...s2010_info.htm
Old June 5th, 2010, 08:04 PM
Oldsdruid

I have to sit this one out. Another guy in the office grabbed that week as his first vacation choice and only one of us can be off at a time. Y'all have a good time.
Old June 5th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by rocketraider
I have to sit this one out. Another guy in the office grabbed that week as his first vacation choice and only one of us can be off at a time. Y'all have a good time.
Sorry to hear that. Was hoping to spend some time with you.
Old June 5th, 2010, 08:19 PM
GM Enthusiast

Might try to go for the day, have to see how my schedule works out.
Old June 7th, 2010, 01:49 PM

I plan to arrive Monday from So. Nevada, about 3100 miles one way.
Old June 7th, 2010, 08:13 PM

As i offered over on ROP, anyone attending who may need a garage to make a repair or leave a car in my driveway should feel free to contact me. I dont have a lift but do have a 2 car garage will a full compliment of tools.

Id be more than happy to help anybody out.
Old June 9th, 2010, 02:53 PM

I'll need to crash with someone Monday and Tuesday nights ( I do not care if I have to sleep on the floor). Wed-Sat I am all set.
I though I would put that out there.
Thanks

Last edited by toro68; June 27th, 2010 at 06:03 AM.
Old June 10th, 2010, 09:31 AM

UPDATES: Rich Lentinello (Editor in Chief for Hemmings Muscle Machines) has informed us that he is sending a crew from Hemmings for pictures and interviews
Also for those who want to take the Mystic trip on Saturday, we have been told that there will be an antique and classic boat rendevous made of vessels built before 1965. This is included in the admission price
And, there is still room on the show field with a little over a week to register.
Are you registered yet ?
Old June 17th, 2010, 09:08 AM

Five days left to snail mail your registration forms for the 2010 Olds Nationals.
All registrations and changes must be postmarked by 6/21.
As of 6/17, we still have space on the show field for judged and show only vehicles. Some of our trips are almost filled up at this time and they are first come, first serve. There is also ample space in the swap meet area.
As a reminder, the show runs 7/21-7/25. Friday 7/23 is the day for judging of vehicles and judging starts around 9:30 a.m.
Visit www.neolds.com for show registration forms and additional information.

Last edited by olds68; June 17th, 2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old June 17th, 2010, 11:48 AM

Friday is 7/23, right?
The race at Lebanon Valley is 7/24, Saturday.
Old June 19th, 2010, 06:13 AM

Mailed mine yesterday. I will have my Final 500 Alero, wife and 2 kids under 3 - just look for the double stroller
Old June 19th, 2010, 08:04 AM

Talking

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69
YOu can call out sick!
Old June 19th, 2010, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69

Make Friday the day you go, the most cars will be there because they get judged that day. It will be worth your trip, definatly call out sick!!!!
Old July 3rd, 2010, 09:06 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by olds68
Five days left to snail mail your registration forms for the 2010 Olds Nationals.
All registrations and changes must be postmarked by 6/21.
As of 6/17, we still have space on the show field for judged and show only vehicles. Some of our trips are almost filled up at this time and they are first come, first serve. There is also ample space in the swap meet area.
As a reminder, the show runs 7/21-7/25. Friday 7/23 is the day for judging of vehicles and judging starts around 9:30 a.m.
Visit www.neolds.com for show registration forms and additional information.
Last time when I was in Vermont, I shopped by Hemmings in Bennington (it about 5 hours from me). I did mention to the Hemmings folks about the 2010 Oldsmobile National show.
Old July 4th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Matthew Reader

Excited to go...this will be my first OCA nationals since I was in high school in the 80s! Flying in to Pittsburgh to meet my dad, and we're driving to Mass on Thursday...wish we could bring an Olds, but mine and my dad's are in California...will have to wait till next year's event in Reno!
Old July 7th, 2010, 01:54 PM

In a nutshell, attenting an Oldsmobile National show is nothing short of awesome! I when to these shows back in 1988(NJ),1989(NY), 1993(NJ), 1995(NC), 1997(MI), 2000(NJ) and the last one in 2002(MI).
Old July 7th, 2010, 06:42 PM

Would anyone happen to know what the cab fare from Boston airport would be or would a car rental be cheaper?
Old July 7th, 2010, 08:25 PM

Tom, dont know if public transit is your thing.

You take the T (Silver Line) from Logan to South Station. From South Station take MBTA Commuter Rail to Worcestor. Worcestor to Sturbridge would require a cab but you are approximately 12-15 miles away.

T = Subway Line http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_maps/subway/

Commuter Rail Schedule http://www.mbta.com/schedules_and_ma...route=WORCSTER
Old July 7th, 2010, 10:06 PM

Pete,
Thank you that is great information.
Old July 8th, 2010, 03:26 PM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by tomsw31
Would anyone happen to know what the cab fare from Boston airport would be or would a car rental be cheaper?
Boston and Strubridge are one the oppsite ends of the Bay State.
Car rental is the way to go.

If you were going to fly to Portland, Maine I could pick you up, then travle only 3 hours to the show. I plan to leave Monday July 19th.
Old July 8th, 2010, 06:14 PM

Sturbridge is nearly in the middle. Many people joke there is nothing in Mass west of 495 and West Mass should be Eastern NY.

I think Boston west to Sturbridge is ~60 miles and Sturbridge west to NY border is ~80 miles.

Sturbridge to Sat's Racing in NY is ~90 miles.
Old July 8th, 2010, 10:02 PM

It looks like a car rental is the way to go. Thanks
Old July 10th, 2010, 05:27 AM

Anyone still needing a room at the Host Hotel for the 2010 Nationals should still call there first. Some cancellations have come in lately and a small number of rooms will be opening up soon.
Remember to say that you are with the 2010 Olds Nationals to get your $99 room rate.
See you soon
Old July 10th, 2010, 06:07 AM

There's a waiting list of about a dozen people waiting for cancelations. As fast as the rooms become available they are spoken for.
Old July 10th, 2010, 08:42 AM

Glen: The fun's about to begin! Time is going to go into warp speed about now, if I remember correctly from hosting two OCA Nationals here! We'll roll in sometime a week from Tuesday, leaving Big D the 17th. As ususal, can't wait to see all those good looking Oldsmobile's, and you part of the country. Sure hope those 100 degree days are over with. We've had a relatively cool spell, with high temps in the lower 90's the last couple of weeks. Nice.
Old July 10th, 2010, 08:43 AM

Glen: The fun's about to begin! Time is going to go into warp speed about now, if I remember correctly from hosting two OCA Nationals here! We'll roll in sometime a week from Tuesday, leaving Big D the 17th. As ususal, can't wait to see all those good looking Oldsmobile's, and you part of the country. Sure hope those 100 degree days are over with. We've had a relatively cool spell, with high temps in the lower 90's the last couple of weeks. Nice.
Old July 10th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Aron Nance
Have a good drive.

Why is it that no matter how far in advance you start, the last week or so prior to a major show is always a scramble to finish the car? (and here I'm using "finish" in the loosest possible way... ). Got the exhaust done yesterday. Spent this morning running around to find the last few small parts for the throttle and TV linkage to the E-brock carb - that's the project for this afternoon. Still waiting for the oil pressure switch to show up from RockAuto so I can wire up the electric choke. Then it's replace the idler arm and install the seat belts. At that point, it will at least be drivable! I'm hoping to get a few shakedown miles in before loading it on the trailer. Oh, then I need to replace the A/C compressor in the truck, as well as do the back brakes. Naturally I also have to fly to Denver on business for a couple of days in the middle of all that.
Old July 10th, 2010, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Have a good drive.

Why is it that no matter how far in advance you start, the last week or so prior to a major show is always a scramble to finish the car? (and here I'm using "finish" in the loosest possible way... ). Got the exhaust done yesterday. Spent this morning running around to find the last few small parts for the throttle and TV linkage to the E-brock carb - that's the project for this afternoon. Still waiting for the oil pressure switch to show up from RockAuto so I can wire up the electric choke. Then it's replace the idler arm and install the seat belts. At that point, it will at least be drivable! I'm hoping to get a few shakedown miles in before loading it on the trailer. Oh, then I need to replace the A/C compressor in the truck, as well as do the back brakes. Naturally I also have to fly to Denver on business for a couple of days in the middle of all that.
Joe you better take it easy! Trying to get too much done in one week! And why does it always seem that what we think will take an hour takes all day?

I started collecting the 5 items to put on my car last year. Got one installed! I'll be doing the last minute thrash this week as well.
Old July 10th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by WTony
And why does it always seem that what we think will take an hour takes all day?
I've found it's not the work that takes that long, it's the five trips to the parts or hardware store for the one thing you forgot. Naturally the closest stores to me (all NAPA, by the way) close at 2 PM on Sat and are closed on Sun. Of course, the fact that I'm still screwing around on the computer and NOT out working on the car right now might have something to do with it...
Old July 10th, 2010, 01:40 PM

In my case its because its almost 30 degrees cooler where the computer is!

Quick Reply: 2010 Olds Nationals, Sturbridge Ma.