General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

2010 Olds Nationals, Sturbridge Ma.

Search this Thread

Old July 20th, 2010, 07:01 PM

If you need a place to work on it let me know.
Old July 20th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Registered Luser

I'll be looking for you all out there! I'll be heading toward the Ferry at around noon(I'm in LI)...about an hour ride to there(Orient Point), then across the Sound to New London! I guess about an hour drive from there...I hear you Tony about 3 women! I'm bringing the same! Joe, I'll be looking for your wagon, as I've wanted a '61 or 2 for a long time!......see y'all there!
Old July 21st, 2010, 04:33 AM

Funny thing is my Dad has been in the atomotive a/c buiness for over 45 years. It is possbile the hood insilation touched the compressor belt.
Oh well, it was only a 3 hours ride for me.
Old July 21st, 2010, 06:57 AM

I plan to head up and be there around Noon. Driving up from Boston. Won't be showing the car, but checking it out.

Is there a meeting point, tent etc. setup to meet? At GM Nationals there were tents, areas setup from the various clubs.
Old July 21st, 2010, 09:15 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by ent72olds
Joe, I'll be looking for your wagon, as I've wanted a '61 or 2 for a long time!......see y'all there!
Erik,

I think I watched you cruise by the hotel Wed night - I was inside with my wife. After the welcome buffet I searched for my spot - I found class 8C but not my 8B. I ran into Boldsmobile, who showed me that they've got my class parked right in front of the lake - possibly the best parking spot of the show for what is certainly the crappiest looking car of the show.

Or maybe the organizers just plan to push it into the lake when I'm not looking.

With relatives in central MA, I've made this trip more than a few times. No matter what time of day I leave northern VA, I hit downtown Hartford in the middle of rush hour. This time was a double whammy - rush hour during a severe thunderstorm (with tornado warning). Fortunately we made it past the spun out cars in the median with no problems.

The oh-so-lovely concrete freeways along the way have vibrated the muffler hanger loose on the 62, so I need to fix that first thing. I also have to figure out why I've lost all running lights on the truck. I thought the trailer may have blown the fuse, but that's not the case. It looks like I'll have to scare up a headlight switch.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 05:11 PM
Matthew Reader

Hey...Just got in this afternoon and bought some great lit at the swap meet. Seems like a small show, and surprised that there aren't more cars from the 50's...Sorry that I don't have a car here, but next year in Reno, we'll be there in full force...
Old July 22nd, 2010, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by PalmSpringsOlds
surprised that there aren't more cars from the 50's
Interesting observation. I've got a few thoughts/reasons, perhaps none of which are true.

1. These cars are also "celebrated" by the National Antique Oldsmobile Club," which limits membership to cars (now) of the 1966 model year and earlier. It used to be 1964, and I think 1960 before that. The idea specifically was to get away from the late 60's/early 70s Cutlasses and 442s, which otherwise dominate Oldsmobile car shows. Of course, once they advanced the acceptable model year to 1964, the door was opened for the Cutlasses and 442s to come in. But I wonder how many actually attend NAOC shows. To get back to your point, I'm wondering how many pre-1960s Olds owners would rather go the NAOC show so that they can look at more cars like theirs.

2. As time moves forward, these cars, like all cars, recede into history. It's not always true, of course, as we have young people on this forum, including a 16-year-old who just got his driver's license and who had been a delight to converse with, but in many cases, people collect cars that they knew in their youth. At least, that's one strong motivation for many people, including me. I grew up with '60s and '70s Oldsmobiles in our driveway because that's what my father bought. I learned to drive on a '73 Custom Cruiser, and I was thrilled to have been able to acquire one a few months ago. Well, people old enough to remember 1950s cars are getting up there in age now what with the newest of '50s cars now 51 years old in 2010. The population most likely to be interested in these cars is aging and the desire to make a trip with the car of any appreciable distance to go to a car show certainly decreases as you get older.

3. Cost. I think, on balance, there are fewer remaining restorable '50s cars of any make than there are '60s cars, fewer '60s cars than there are '70s cars, etc. The ones you do find tend to be more pricey relative to a comparable condition '60s car, and they tend to cost more to restore as part availability is low, relatively speaking. Parts are reproduced for the '60s and '70s A-body cars, making restoration reasonably doable, and there's more things you can do with the more modern engines in these cars.

I know that there are people on here, including moderators, who have '40s and '50s cars, and I'm guessing they're not 90 years old. There will always be young people interested in old cars as well as old people interested in young cars. But these are specific cases, and I'm just making broad generalizations based on what I've observed in the hobby since I bought my first old Oldsmobile in 1991.

I'd love to hear what others think.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 06:59 PM

I went over to uptown earlier this evening. They wouldnt let me into the high rent district, even though i mentioned your name. I told all the folks i sent to park back there they were on the prime real estate. I am going to take my car back there for a picture by the lake before i leave. Hey, in case you didnt know there is a mini golf course is around the corner. My son says its a tough course !

Matthew, i believe that the majority of the 50s cars are in the area by the lake. Although there is a gorgeous 88 one aisle over from me. I need to snap some pics tomorrow. My camera battery died today.

Joe good to meet you, Erik (and his family), Joe D and all the other folks here.

Joe there is a guy a couple of spots over from me with a multimeter if you think that might help.
Old July 22nd, 2010, 07:12 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Boldsmobile
I went over to uptown earlier this evening. They wouldnt let me into the high rent district, even though i mentioned your name. I told all the folks i sent to park back there they were on the prime real estate. I am going to take my car back there for a picture by the lake before i leave. Hey, in case you didnt know there is a mini golf course is around the corner. My son says its a tough course !
I found that when I went exploring, looking for a shortcut to the north 40 from the indoor exhibits. My way was NOT quicker...

Joe there is a guy a couple of spots over from me with a multimeter if you think that might help.
Thanks for the offer, I actually brought my own. Found and fixed the problem this morning (one of the reasons I was late to the show field).

As for the original question, the "forgotten years" are actually in the "forgotten parking spots" on the lake side of the hotel. At least, that's what all of us parked there are calling them.

As it turns out, everyone who went to the BBQ this evening stumbled over all these cars in the process. Earlier I had spoken to several people who were not aware that cars were parked there. They do now. It is a very beautiful location and about 5 degrees cooler than on the pavement out in the sun.
Old July 23rd, 2010, 03:39 AM

Question

Originally Posted by Boldsmobile

Matthew, i believe that the majority of the 50s cars are in the area by the lake. Although there is a gorgeous 88 one aisle over from me. I need to snap some pics tomorrow. My camera battery died today.

Joe good to meet you, Erik (and his family), Joe D and all the other folks here.

HI Pete,
Go to met you two days ago!
What do you folks think of the 1905 Pie Wagon?
Old July 23rd, 2010, 05:07 AM
Oldsdruid

Y'all make me sick.

Said the Rocketraider, stuck in powerplant wasteland at 100 degrees while airboddy else is having a big time in Oldsworld...

Pictures, folks!
Old July 23rd, 2010, 05:21 AM

I am not happy either - sitting in S Florida waiting for a storm - I'd rather be at the Nats!!!
Old July 23rd, 2010, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by toro68
HI Pete,
Go to met you two days ago!
What do you folks think of the 1905 Pie Wagon?
Good to meet you too, sorry i met so many i didnt mean to leave you out. Pie Wagon is going to be parked next to me today. Skip seems like a great guy.

Some pics uploaded here:
http://s211.photobucket.com/albums/b...0%20Nationals/
Old July 23rd, 2010, 06:57 AM

Yeah, where are the pictures for all the rest of us stuck at work
Old July 23rd, 2010, 12:26 PM

Just got back from the Sturbridge. Met Boldsmobile and Run and Rund. Would have liked to meet you Joe Padavano as I heard you were there but rain and other commitments got in the way. I was really impressed with the quality vehicles that were there. I have to say that spectator parking was less than stellar, that should be worked on for next time.

Good Times,
George
Old July 23rd, 2010, 03:11 PM

Heading down in the morning, I live about 45 min away. Looking forward to seeing some nice Oldsmobiles and maybe put some faces to names.
I'll take some pix and try to post asap.
Old July 23rd, 2010, 04:37 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Y'all make me sick.
Well, Glenn, I will say that after spending today as a judge for classes 12A, B, and C (1968-1984 H/Os), I do have a new appreciation for judges. Of course, as with last year, rain started before we were finished and scrambled the process. It would still be nice to have a consistent set of point deduction guidelines.

I should add that during the judging clinic first thing this morning, I was (naturally) the guy asking all the hard questions. I then shared a table with new OCA head judge Ed Konsmo, who commented that I had asked a lot of good questions. I responded that I was sorry if I was a disruption in the meeting, at which point he held two fingers about an inch apart and said "this close...".
Old July 24th, 2010, 11:02 AM

Talking

Y'all make me sick.

Said the Rocketraider, stuck in powerplant wasteland at 100 degrees while airboddy else is having a big time in Oldsworld...

Pictures, folks!
Yes I am, Glenn with TWO Ns:rolleye s:!!!!
My friend for 21 years (and counting) Skip Waktins brought his 1905 Pie Wagon hot-rod. Mr Woodland gave a talk about his drag racing with his 442s. I have suggested to Goerge B or Skip one of them should start an Oldsmobile Museum!
Old July 24th, 2010, 11:05 AM

I was really surpirsed how amny folks singed up to be judges!
I did 8a & 8b. Two of my freinds, Skip Watkins and Andy Pope judged as well!
Old July 24th, 2010, 11:06 AM

Question

Y'all make me sick.

Pictures, folks!
I hope you did not yank your chow too bad!:rolle yes:
Old July 24th, 2010, 01:14 PM
Oldsdruid

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Well, Glenn, I will say that after spending today as a judge for classes 12A, B, and C (1968-1984 H/Os), I do have a new appreciation for judges. Of course, as with last year, rain started before we were finished and scrambled the process. It would still be nice to have a consistent set of point deduction guidelines.

I should add that during the judging clinic first thing this morning, I was (naturally) the guy asking all the hard questions. I then shared a table with new OCA head judge Ed Konsmo, who commented that I had asked a lot of good questions. I responded that I was sorry if I was a disruption in the meeting, at which point he held two fingers about an inch apart and said "this close...".
Didja tell Fast Eddie that there are a LOT of people asking hard questions about OCA judging? and that it is a hard topic of online discussion after every National Meet?

One thing that bothers me is that few if any of the OCA officers and board members make any time to visit the various Olds discussion boards. Last year on AACA, every current and candidate officer and director from the Buick Club was on the BCA's forums and most are still participating. Not so in Oldsworld. If they did, they'd certainly be more aware of concerns than they are.

73-77olds.com probably has the highest concentration of Olds club personalities of all, but even then it's only JWO Editor Brad and four past zone directors. NAOC is better represented on AACA/OCA than the Olds Club of America itself is.

Anyway- glad everyone has had a good time and that nice cars have shown up.
Old July 24th, 2010, 02:23 PM

http://s716.photobucket.com/albums/w...s%20Nationals/ I ended up getting a few hours to go to Sturbridge this sat. I got there about 10am and ended up parking at the Old Sturbridge village parking lot. I had a choice of waiting for a shuttle van or walking about 1/2 mile, so I walked. The weather was just starting to clear after a rainy fri and sat morn. As soon as the clouds parted the temp went from around 75 to low 90's and real humid. I hit the swap meet first and then ventured into the lot area. There seemed to be a lot of empty spaces I'm guessing due to the weather and the drag races. I saw a lot of nice cars and thought I would share them with the Olds fans that couldn't make it. I'm sure I missed some and I apologize if I seem bias to some vintage Olds.
It seemed like a pretty good turn-out but I don't have anything to compare it with since this is my first National meet. I hope the URL works, if not I'll keep at it.

Last edited by scrappie; July 24th, 2010 at 03:09 PM.
Old July 24th, 2010, 02:42 PM

Can you guys see the pix?
Old July 24th, 2010, 02:55 PM

No. I get a "page not found" page on photobucket.
Old July 24th, 2010, 03:11 PM

I think its working now.
Old July 24th, 2010, 03:12 PM

Yep. Works fine. Thanks for posting them.
Old July 24th, 2010, 05:43 PM

Joe, it was nice meeting you earlier today. Have a safe trip home.
Old July 24th, 2010, 06:28 PM
"me somebody" site member

Nice photos, scrappie. That blue tri-carb '66 442 vert looks very familiar...I recall it selling on Ebay some years back (maybe circa 2003) for around $44k, was a nut and bolt restoration by White Post Restorations. My further recollection was that it has some non-stock touches, not just the paint color, but some interior touches as well (over-use of white, maybe), but still a lovely car.
Old July 24th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Banned

anybody see a white 70 w-30 ragtop for sale there?

guy wanted to trade for an Escalade with 24's.
Old July 24th, 2010, 08:06 PM
2 '66 98's

You didn't post any pictures of "real cars", just a lot of those pesky hot rods!
Old July 24th, 2010, 08:21 PM

I got tons of pics - big and pre-60's cars too. Will upload them tomorrow.
Old July 24th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Diego
Joe, it was nice meeting you earlier today. Have a safe trip home.
Same here, thanks. Now I just need to find the short in my car trailer wiring that keeps blowing the fuse...
Old July 25th, 2010, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by agtw31
anybody see a white 70 w-30 ragtop for sale there?

guy wanted to trade for an Escalade with 24's.
I did see a 70 in the swap area for sale. It was white with blue stripes and interior, automatic I believe.
Old July 25th, 2010, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by bigoldscruiser
You didn't post any pictures of "real cars", just a lot of those pesky hot rods!
I looked for the 40's and 50's cars but didn't seem to see much? I really appreciate all Oldsmobiles. I thought I saw everything? Maybe they were in a different area but I couldn't seem to find em.
Weather maybe had something to do with it. Real muggy and hot with heavy rain some days.
Old July 25th, 2010, 04:59 AM

Did you happen to venture behind the hotel? There were some older models back there.Nice pics nontheless!
Old July 25th, 2010, 05:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Same here, thanks. Now I just need to find the short in my car trailer wiring that keeps blowing the fuse...
just turn your emergency blinkers on in your car.
that's what a cop told me to do,when the lights on a uhaul car trailer i rented burnt up.
Old July 25th, 2010, 05:35 AM

Well I pulled out of the show field with the 2 cars yesterday morning headed for drags. The 1 hour and 15 minute trip took 3 hours. First it was the rain slowing things down, then it was the 2-3 mile backup at the NY boarder on the Mass tpk that took over an hour to get thru. By the time I got there it was pouring and the track was closed.
Still, I got to meet some very nice people there and in Sturbridge! No matter where I turned at the Nationals there was someone to speak to that I had met here on the site.
It seems like these events go by in a blink of an eye, no matter how long your there for also!
Finally got home to south Jersey by around 8:30pm Saturday. Had a great time and hope everyone else there did too! Looking forward to the next Olds event where we can meet again!

Last edited by WTony; July 25th, 2010 at 05:38 AM. Reason: sp
Old July 25th, 2010, 07:50 AM

Nice to meet you Tony.

Give Uncle Bob my best.
Old July 25th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Registered Luser

Although we had rain for the second straight year, it was still better than being at work!
Kurt & Ellen(Mr & Mrs wmachine) it was totally cool meeting you two and hanging with you! Love the story behind you getting together!

Joe P, love your car and will be pulling for you to have it in Reno next year! You and Kurt are very important assets to this site and the Olds community! It was a pleasure meeting and talking with you!

Pete(boldsmobile), thanks for your hard work and hospitality! I know there are many others involved, but I got to meet you face to face!

Also Aron and Ju Ju! You both are sweethearts and it was great to spend time with you both! Ju Ju is a real "Southern Belle" Aron and a lovely lady! Hope to see y'all again next year in Reno!
Old July 25th, 2010, 09:41 PM

I hung out with Kurt and Ellen and they're totally Oldsmodudes! (well, at least Kurt is . . . )

I posted this in its own thread, but I posted some pics on my blog:

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-1...Nationals-2010

Quick Reply: 2010 Olds Nationals, Sturbridge Ma.