General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

2010 Oldsmobile Nationals in Norwalk, OH

Search this Thread

Old June 25th, 2010, 09:54 AM

2010 Oldsmobile Nationals in Norwalk, OH

Hey guys,
Just wondering if anyone has been to it before and if it is worth the drive or not? It would be about a 4 hr drive for me. Thanks.
Old June 26th, 2010, 04:46 PM

Def worth it. Been awhile since I last went (1993ish)but it was a blast. Talked to Dick Miller and Joe Mondello and just loved the whole experience. I even got called up to the tower because I had a questionable t-shirt on, lol. They thought it was Bevis and Butthead but it was the band The The. They had a swap meet in the parking lot and drag races all weekend, good times.
Old June 26th, 2010, 05:51 PM
Banned

the Norwalk bash is awesome!!
you meet a lot of Olds folks,and lots of great food.
Old July 4th, 2010, 07:41 PM

I`ve been going every year(almost) since 1992. Great racing,show car field is kind of small but a great all olds power event. Great track! Its 100 miles one way for me
Old July 5th, 2010, 05:11 AM
Registered

Unless you drag race and are in the small ROP carbeater clique it's a waste of time and money. The place is a ghost town on Sunday when they have the "car show and swap", just the Olds guys racing to empty stands in the morning. The car show is a joke, get more cars at the smallest local cruise and the swap meet had about five vendors, one with Olds parts. It was one of the worst events I ever attended and it will be a cold day in hell before I ever go back.
Old July 5th, 2010, 05:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bluevista
Unless you drag race and are in the small ROP carbeater clique it's a waste of time and money. The place is a ghost town on Sunday when they have the "car show and swap", just the Olds guys racing to empty stands in the morning. The car show is a joke, get more cars at the smallest local cruise and the swap meet had about five vendors, one with Olds parts. It was one of the worst events I ever attended and it will be a cold day in hell before I ever go back.
http://72.22.90.30/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=661106#661106

Dick Miller Olds nationals are a blast!!!

it's not just Sunday,the party starts Friday night,and runs all weekend!!

instead of wasting away sitting in a lawn chair all day at the usual lameass car show,at Norwalk you can see and meet all kinds of great people and see and watch the fastest Oldsmobiles in the country get the crap run out of them.

sat night is great,you can watch Olds beat up on locals in bracket program!!

you can also chat with some of the best Olds engine builders in the country,and learn a thing or 2 about making your Olds a faster car.

you won't do any of that at the usual snorefest car show.

Last edited by agtw31; July 5th, 2010 at 06:00 AM.
Old July 5th, 2010, 05:59 AM

Cant say that you are wrong. Attended 5 years ago after I was told its the best Olds event around. Car show was a joke, swap meet had about a row of sellers, and stands were vacant for the race. Havent been back since.
Old July 5th, 2010, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by agtw31
Dick Miller Olds nationals are a blast!!!

it's not just Sunday,the party starts Friday night,and runs all weekend!!

instead of wasting away sitting in a lawn chair all day at the usual lameass car show,at Norwalk you can see and meet all kinds of great people and see and watch the fastest Oldsmobiles in the country get the crap run out of them.

sat night is great,you can watch Olds beat up on locals in bracket program!!

you can also chat with some of the best Olds engine builders in the country,and learn a thing or 2 about making your Olds a faster car.

you won't do any of that at the usual snorefest car show.
Judging by the attendance nobody cares to do any of that. Judging by OCA national events and Homecoming, people seem to enjoy the snorefests.
Old July 5th, 2010, 06:04 AM
Banned

don't forget the bash on sat night!!

great food,and you meet the people you talk to everyday from all over the world!!!

there really is no comparison of the OCA meet to the Dick Miller nationals.

obviously you should stick with sitting for hours in the blazing sun in parking lots at shopping centers

it sounds very exciting.

Last edited by agtw31; July 5th, 2010 at 06:07 AM.
Old July 5th, 2010, 06:15 AM

Heck I live 15-16 hours away, and I say IT IS WORTH IT!!!!!
I met Dick Miller, back in Aug of 2002!!!
He remeber rebuilding the 455 in my gold W-34, back in the mid-1990s.
Old July 5th, 2010, 07:17 AM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Unless you start out to have a bad time or are just a car show only guy I dont know how you could have a bad time with Oldsmobiles at Norwalk,I have only been to one Norwlak event and there was so much to do and see and people to talk to I got maybe 4 hours of sleep the two days I was there,Had a blast and I sure would give it a try before you condemn it,A true Olds guy/gal would have fun no matter what in my opinion cool cars dragracing surrounded by oldsmobiles,If your looking for a big bunch of people to drool over your 5000 point show car this probley isnt the event for you but you would still enjoy the cars.........I also Iam a ROP guy,If it wasnt for that site and the knowledge passed on to me I sure wouldnt of got my street car into the tens...............Jerr
Old July 5th, 2010, 03:17 PM

http://www.realoldspower.com/phpBB2/...ic.php?t=69673
Old July 5th, 2010, 07:20 PM
"me somebody" site member

Nice. Bluevista offers an opinion in response to a specific query, and a fellow classicolds member (agtw31 / baddd_andy) takes his comment out of its context and posts it on another site where he has no voice for the sole purpose of stirring the pot and personally disparaging him.

When are the moderators of this site going to wake the F up?
Old July 5th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Cutlass Lover

It's sad that some people are sooooooo rude. It was only an opinion, which was asked for. I myself enjoy going to "the usual lame ***, snorefest car shows and sitting in the sun" and I have met a lot of great people.
Old July 5th, 2010, 09:35 PM

I went to the Olds Powered Nationals last year. It was fun watching the Drag Racing, which is something you don't get at your normal car show. However, the "Car Show" part of the event was very lame. They just lined everyone up real close to one another along the fence leading up to the staging lines, sitting on the pavement with no room to put up some cover from the sun. Seemed like we were just in the way to most of the drag racers.

I had been to a PoPular Hot Rodding show at Norwalk in the past, and they had the car show folks on the spectator side of the track (out in the grass) and the racers on the other. It was a lot better that way. I must say, I don't really care for the OCA "judging" crap either. Most of the OCA people look down their noses on you if your car isn't bone stock and restored to original condition. Seems to be that way at every Olds show. (Example, one class for "Oldsmobiles, modified 1900 - 1967".) The best part of the whole event was taking old two-lane blacktops from Lansing to Norwalk rather than going on the hi-way. I went through a bunch a little towns and stopped at a couple of antique/flea market shops. Even though that was fun, I won't bother going this year, I can find a cruise-in or some other car show event with 500-600 cars that wouild be more fun than a total of 30-40 Oldsmobiles lined up like at a used car lot!

I'm not sure what Dick Miller and crew can do to make The "Car Show" part of this event better, and draw more Olds fans. They get 500 Oldsmobiles, and more vendors and swap meet folks to show up in Lansing for the Homecoming Show, and there's no drag racing for you to watch in Lansing! First suggestion is to treat the the folks that come for the "show" with more respect. Don't treat someone like dirt because they don't race their car. I would like to race my car, but I drive it to the show. If I go out there and blow something up, I can't load it on trailer and take it home. I would be out of luck and 250 miles from home!

Some day I would like to own a "drag car" and a "show car". If they are still having this event, I will probably load the race car in the trailer and make the trip...till that day, or I find out that they are running the show differently, I won't bother with this event as a Car Show.
Old July 6th, 2010, 06:02 AM

(Hey guys,
Just wondering if anyone has been to it before and if it is worth the drive or not? It would be about a 4 hr drive for me. Thanks. ) My opinion is if you've never been there, it is worth the drive for you. You can probably make it in 3 hrs. Get there early Sun. morning. We use to make a weedend out of it and we had a lot of fun. Because of age and other interests, Olds racing has been "moth-balled" the last 4/5 years for the group of us that use to go. I will probably go up for the Sunday meet this year if I am not working. The car show isn't much, more a racing meet. About 5/6 years ago they had a pretty large car show with Linda Vaughn there. A lot of fast Oldsmobiles (Cutlass/Cutlass/Cutlass) Go one time and make up your own mind if it is for you or not. If you see a green Delta convertible it will "probably" be me. Ken
Old July 6th, 2010, 04:59 PM

Isn't the Oldsmobile Nationals this year in Sturbridge Massachusetts?
Old July 6th, 2010, 06:24 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Originally Posted by jpc647

Not so much........

http://www.dickmillerracing.com/Race2010_page.htm
Old July 6th, 2010, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by jpc647

Olds Club of America Nationals is. The Dick Miller Olds Powered Nationals is at Norwalk every year. Its a drag race, car show, manufacturers midway and according to the web site, a "car coral".

What it really is is an Olds powered drag race.
Old July 19th, 2010, 05:13 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Looks like there was a decent turn out for the show and race......Wish I could of made it!
Old July 19th, 2010, 08:09 PM

Nice line up. Not sure if thats what a coral is but i like it.
Old July 20th, 2010, 08:27 AM

I thought it was a great show and race.Best its been in years,there were lots of real beautiful show cars and cars racing too. Saw some old friends and made some new ones too! Met Al with his beautiful original owner W30 68 442 4 speed convertible and Norm with his 73 455 4 speed cutlass supreme. I`ve been going(usually without a oldsmobile) since 1992 and try to never miss this event,youve got to admit there arent that many all olds events around so you should try to attend next years event,its great to see all the Oldsmobiles and actually hear them run and drive on the dragstrip!
Old July 20th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Banned

Norwalk was a great time,nice to see old friends.

Originally Posted by aliensatemybuick

to what?

you dont run anything here

if you don't like it,GTFO
Old July 20th, 2010, 09:55 AM
"me somebody" site member

Norwalk was a great time,nice to see old friends.

Originally Posted by aliensatemybuick
Nice. Bluevista offers an opinion in response to a specific query, and a fellow classicolds member (agtw31 / baddd_andy) takes his comment out of its context and posts it on another site where he has no voice for the sole purpose of stirring the pot and personally disparaging him.

to what?

you dont run anything here

if you don't like it,GTFO
Glad you had fun.

The mods WILL wake up one day.
Old July 20th, 2010, 10:21 AM

I will not miss this event again. I will be there in 2011 for sure if I am still breathing.
Old July 20th, 2010, 05:12 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

Originally Posted by Nilsson
I will not miss this event again. I will be there in 2011 for sure if I am still breathing.

iam going to put in for vacation a year in advance so I wont have a excuse next year!
Old August 10th, 2010, 11:06 PM

I had Tons of Fun in 2010

I had a blast, i have never been to the olds nationals, till this year 2010, i have a 1974 Oldsmobile cutlass running 14s and it was fun. Trust me of you a true Olds fan then you can have fun for the whole weekend. And i drove 4 and half hours to get there. Btw anyone who did go, i have pictures of almost every olds there. Just tell me which car, and i can send u a picture(s).
Old August 11th, 2010, 12:07 AM
One of None W-31

Jon69olds,
You asked what people thought...some despised the Norwalk outing, stating it was a complete, utter, waste of time. Others answered that they always enjoy car shows/races, whatever the case may be as long as an Olds is there. Looks like the answer is unclear b/c you got differing responses. The one thing that is clear for you to consider is the typical flaming fools at ROP who on the thread link posted above, showed how losers respond to others who simply and honestly didn't like the Norwalk event. If those are the type of losers who will be at Norwalk, what does common sense tell you about the enjoyment you will receive by the personal interaction you will have with people like that. ROP has a sick reputation, even those like Big Jerr who frequent the sight will tell you,if he's willing to be honest, that ROP has received it's bad reputation for the type of flaming posts it puts out. Its as if no one on that sight has a decent thing to say to anyone, or the ability to say anything constructive at times. I used to go to ROP years ago, but with the screwed up liberal moderators erasing posts by conservative members and allowing losers to rag on and on about hateful crap, it was a waste of my time so I dropped that sight with the simplest of ease.
On this sight, I've got Joe Padavano, Brian E., and lots of others who give advice and are very helpful. Also, I never receive hateful crap from them, b/c unlike others, being a loser isn't a part of their constitution.
As a side note, I like Dick Miller, we have soken many times and he helped me with my build up. He was always a gentleman, and I not only bought parts from him, but walked away respecting him as a human being.

Last edited by 71 Cutlass; August 11th, 2010 at 12:13 AM.
Old August 11th, 2010, 05:00 AM
Trying to remember member

I'll make an announcement that *may* be a bit premature, but there are changes in the wind that could very well help change the meet next year to make it much more appealing to those who haven't liked the event in the past.
The Oldsmobile Performance Club is working with Dick Miller and are in the initial stages of becoming involved with the meet next year. The idea is to greatly expand the show and swap involvement at the meet. This would open up the spectator side of the track for the show and swap.
The intention is not to take anything away from the racers, but expand the appeal and participation to those that are not hard core racers.
Don't get the wrong idea about the "show" part of it. It is not all about buff-'n-shine trailer queens. Consider it to me more of a *display* of all kinds of Oldsmobile high performance cars. These cars will also all have opportunity to go down the track, and the intention is to run them together so that they are not just thrown in with the racers.
Thus this can become an event that will have a much broader base and more appeal to others.
Old August 11th, 2010, 04:33 PM

Thumbs up

Sounds good Kurt; I've never been but I'd like to try and check it out...our cars were meant to be driven anyway and sounds like a great excuse for a Road Trip!
Old August 11th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 71 Cutlass
I used to go to ROP years ago, but with the screwed up liberal moderators erasing posts by conservative members and allowing losers to rag on and on about hateful crap, it was a waste of my time so I dropped that sight with the simplest of ease.
sounds like that was your problem,and not ROP's.
Old August 11th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by wmachine
The Oldsmobile Performance Club is working with Dick Miller and are in the initial stages of becoming involved with the meet next year. The idea is to greatly expand the show and swap involvement at the meet. This would open up the spectator side of the track for the show and swap.
this isnt going to do a thing,but end up in a lawsuit.

the economy is in the toilet,and people are staying home,that's the problem.

10 years ago,Norwalk was packed on Dick Miller day.

not anymore
Old August 12th, 2010, 06:49 AM

6 years ago the economy was decent and it wasnt well attended. What was the problem then?
Old August 12th, 2010, 07:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TK-65
6 years ago the economy was decent and it wasnt well attended. What was the problem then?
you're used to lawn chair festivals,that's why it didnt seem well attended

with Norwalk,it's quality before quantity
Old August 12th, 2010, 08:00 AM

you're used to lawn chair festivals,that's why it didnt seem well attended

with Norwalk,it's quality before quantity

You know me sooooo well.

Car show, swap and race. 6 years ago, when the economy was pretty good, the car show was one row of cars, the swap was a row across from the row of cars, and the race had NO one watching. Give me a better excuse than your standard line.

BY the way, while walking the pits almost everyone was sitting in a lawn chair. When the owners arent blasting down the strip, which takes all of 15 seconds or less, they are sitting down in lawn chairs.
Old August 12th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TK-65
You know me sooooo well.

Car show, swap and race. 6 years ago, when the economy was pretty good, the car show was one row of cars, the swap was a row across from the row of cars, and the race had NO one watching. Give me a better excuse than your standard line.

BY the way, while walking the pits almost everyone was sitting in a lawn chair. When the owners arent blasting down the strip, which takes all of 15 seconds or less, they are sitting down in lawn chairs.
in '05,the swap meet was awesome!!

my g/f picked this up

Old August 12th, 2010, 07:47 PM
One of None W-31

sounds like that was your problem,and not ROP's.

Sounds like you didn't read my ENTIRE post which clearly explains the full extent of the screwed up situation regarding ROP (Which has been posted on this site plenty of times before)...you should read more. Obviously you and I disagree on who really has problems after examining the issues of life.

Last edited by 71 Cutlass; August 12th, 2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old August 12th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Banned

i read all of what you typed

like i said before,it's still your problem
Old August 12th, 2010, 07:53 PM
One of None W-31

Sounds like it's your problem...if you like flaming and all the crap on ROP, it's clear to anyone reading this thread who is screwed up. Why not run over to ROP right now, wouldn't want you to miss out on any crazy crap, or the opportunity to tell someone in your own illogical way that they have problems...typical

Last edited by 71 Cutlass; August 12th, 2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old August 12th, 2010, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by 71 Cutlass
Sounds like it's your problem...if you like flaming and all the crap on ROP, it's clear to anyone reading this thread who has problems. Why not run over to ROP right now, wouldn't want you to miss out on any crazy crap, or the opportunity to tell someone they have problems..typical
The person you are debating is Badd Andy over at ROP. Youll see his name over there quite often.

Quick Reply: 2010 Oldsmobile Nationals in Norwalk, OH