General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

1957 super 88 4 door hard top

Search this Thread

Old July 3rd, 2012, 11:19 AM

1957 super 88 4 door hard top

I am looking at one of these in pretty good condition and is offered at $2900. It does run has some rust as can be expected, orig interior and drive train. I haven't ventured into the realm of the non A body cars but this seems like a nice project. Looking for some advice as far as the price goes and availability of parts etc. not looking to do a frame off but would like to get it into decent shape have some fun with it and probably eventually sell it.

Thanks,
Eric
Old July 3rd, 2012, 08:19 PM

I think they're nice looking cars, but that's about all I know! Back to the top for others to see

John
Old July 3rd, 2012, 08:44 PM

First of all I love the 57's, they have great lines and can scoot for a 57 era car. Most anything reasonable can be found or bought but often for cubic dollars and it is doubtful if you restore this four door you will ever recoup your investment. Twenty nine hundred sounds reasonable if it's a good driver but you mentioned rust and that is a major unknown, sometimes what you see is not what you get.If it was a two door I would jump on it but if you are starting to fall in love go for it you will turn heads every where you go.....Tedd
Old July 3rd, 2012, 09:27 PM

Thanks for the replies, I am going to take a closer look and see if I can get a little better price. I have been doing some research and found a few different suppliers of parts but nothing like the cutlass's I am used to. I can tell to get this done it will take some bucks and I probably will only see some of the rust with a basic inspection. Going to put it on a lift and see whats really going on as well as a few other hands on tests. I will reply back with the outcome.
Old July 4th, 2012, 08:24 AM
Oldsdruid

On any four-door, you will probably not get your money out of it when it's time to sell.

But...

Stop and think how utterly cool a true 4-door hardtop looks with all four side windows down. The Holiday Sedan especially compliments the lines of a 57 Olds- it's a big car that looks like it's flying even when sitting still.
Old July 4th, 2012, 07:51 PM

It's a four-door! Get it and love it like the lil red-headed stepchild 4-door cars have been made out to be LOL...
Old July 8th, 2012, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by epinkston
I have been doing some research and found a few different suppliers of parts but nothing like the cutlass's I am used to.
Hey pinkston, if you find a good parts source or more than you need, let me know!!! I picked up a 2 dr sedan to play with and a 4 dr sedan for parts (mostly body parts)

Good luck, they look great when finished!!!!