Installing starter on 72 cutlass

Search this Thread

Old August 12th, 2017, 11:12 AM

Sure...the problem is...I'm not home. I know there is a really excellent diagram in the 69 assembly manual, I assume it's in the other years, too. It was deep in there near the end in the electrical section I think. My manual even had handwriting on that page saying how important it was to get them in the right position. Typically, those 2 smaller wires get mangled up when the starters are changed. Sometimes peeps just crimp a term w/o insulation. I'll see if I can find another pic.....
Old August 12th, 2017, 01:25 PM
Chris

Ok. I think I found the purple and yellow r and s terminal wires. Just need to figure out which one is the large main wire.
Old August 12th, 2017, 02:02 PM
Administrator

The large main wire is the battery cable connection.
Old August 12th, 2017, 02:11 PM
Chris

Thank you Eric!
Old August 13th, 2017, 07:46 PM
Chris

And is this the correct "r" and "s" terminal wire bundle?
Old August 14th, 2017, 01:18 PM
Chris

All right. Thank you all for the pics and help!!!! All in and connected. It will still
be a while till I start it but at least it's in correctly. Boy those r and s wires run close to the manifold.
Toms Cutlass, can you direct me to the heat shield for the solenoid like you were talking about? Thanks again guys!
Chris
Old August 14th, 2017, 01:49 PM

Here's a link to pics of the type of metal heat shield I use. (Note: I am NOT referring you to this seller.) http://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-69-Pont...VZH1kO&vxp=mtr There are other similar solenoid heat shields available from various aftermarket auto components online retailers.

You should be aware that a heat shield for Cutlass ('70 - '72) is not OE. It does however add a margin of additional protection helping to prevent hot soak of your solenoid and hot starting issues. Also, check your negative terminal battery cable (black) that bolts to the engine block and negative side of the battery. Often times, hot starting issues can be traced to a poor negative side battery cable and related connections. Replace that cable in addition to installing a solenoid heat shield if you have any doubts and want peace of mind to avoid hot soak and hot start issues.
Old August 14th, 2017, 02:48 PM
Chris

Thanks so much Tom!!
chris
Old August 14th, 2017, 06:55 PM

There are other solenoid heat shield configurations:

Brace and shield > http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-77-Olds...hXUdUi&vxp=mtr

Shield only > http://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-81-GM-C...JXUNb9&vxp=mtr

Shield only > http://www.ebay.com/itm/68-72-442-W-...lZLrjm&vxp=mtr
Old August 14th, 2017, 07:00 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Oldssupreme
And is this the correct "r" and "s" terminal wire bundle?
That looks correct. Go back to my pic of the installed starter. It shows them hooked up, and the starter works fine.
Old August 14th, 2017, 07:07 PM
Chris

Thanks guys. Allan I think it was you who said you had about 3/4" clearance between the wires and the exhaust. Mine are actually touching the head pipe flange. So I'm not even sure if a sheild would work. I have to finish connecting the exhaust from the muffler back so maybe this will move the flange enough to get it off the wires... Not sure if I have them routed wrong (running along side the solenoid/starter junction, or if it's because I have the thornton larger 2 1/4" exhaust manifold (which I think will solve my exhaust problem from the other post). I still can't find the assembly manual page with the starter and solenoid wire routing. Do you know what page it is? Thanks guys!
Old August 14th, 2017, 08:44 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Chris,
There should be plenty of clearance. If you don't have that clearance you'll likely fry your starter wires. Here's the picture you want. I scanned it from the 72 Assembly Manual. Note the specific instructions for the purple and yellow wires.

Old August 15th, 2017, 04:19 AM
Chris

Allan thank you so much for the assembly manual diagram. I must have misplaced that page. Much, much appreciated.
Chris
Old August 15th, 2017, 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Oldssupreme
... I'm not even sure if a sheild would work. I have to finish connecting the exhaust from the muffler back so maybe this will move the flange enough to get it off the wires... Not sure if I have them routed wrong (running along side the solenoid/starter junction, or if it's because I have the thornton larger 2 1/4" exhaust manifold (which I think will solve my exhaust problem from the other post).
Chris,

I have the Thornton Jr. 350 exhaust manifolds as well and there are no solenoid wire or heat shield clearance issues. Follow the assembly schematic instructions carefully. The 3 solenoid wires route solenoid front to rear up along engine block. Shown in assembly picture upper left. The block runs much cooler than the exhaust manifold.

EDIT: The solenoid heat shield should be installed around the solenoid before the starter assembly is installed onto the engine block.

Last edited by Toms cutlass; August 15th, 2017 at 07:34 AM.
Old August 15th, 2017, 08:15 AM
Chris

Tom, I know this may be a lot to ask but if you have a chance, could I trouble you to get underneath your car and take a photo looking at the starter wires and manifold from the vantage point of a few feet behind it? I see what the assembly Says but it doesn't appear to look identical in real life.
Old August 15th, 2017, 08:30 AM

Chris, I'm happy to do that. I'm not with my car right now, I'll try later today.
Old August 15th, 2017, 08:31 AM
Chris

Thank you Tom!
Old August 15th, 2017, 08:48 AM

Don't know if you saw my edit to post #54 ... if you're going to add a solenoid heat shield, I strongly urge you to add it before bolting in the starter and solenoid to the block.
Old August 15th, 2017, 02:31 PM

Chris,

These pics show the location of the solenoid wires over the top of the solenoid and inside of the primary positive (red) wire connected to the top lug of the solenoid. (The view is from the rear looking forward.)

Note the primary wire routed to the outside nearest the manifold (it has its own shield and heat tube) and the solenoid wires to the inside (near the block). The pics also show the solenoid heat shield between the solenoid and the Thornton exhaust manifold. The heat shield is fastened to the outer side of the solenoid providing direct protection from the adjacent manifold.
Attached Images

Last edited by Toms cutlass; August 15th, 2017 at 02:34 PM.
Old August 15th, 2017, 02:33 PM
Chris

Hi Tom! Thanks so much for your post. However I don't see any photos. Might just be my phone. Let me check my laptop.
Chris.
Old August 15th, 2017, 02:35 PM

The picture upload was glitchy. I had to re-do. They're there now, and correct side up.
Old August 15th, 2017, 02:43 PM
Chris

Tom that helps tremendously. Thank you!!!
chris.
Old August 15th, 2017, 03:03 PM

Also note that the Assembly diagram has the solenoid wires routed down under/behind the starter brace (which neither you nor I have) and then the wires pass directly over the side of the solenoid in the Assembly diagram -- which is directly adjacent to the exhaust manifold. Not having a brace (or a threaded hole in the starter cover for a brace bolt) which would hold the wire routing in place, I had to improvise, routing the solenoid wires behind the primary wire to shield them from the heat of the exhaust manifold. It's worked absolutely fine for me.

EDIT: The Assembly diagram also instructs to route the solenoid yellow and purple wires so as to not touch the solenoid ground post, as well as the purple wire not touch the starter brace (if you have one). This is another reason why I chose to route those wires away from those critical areas, as well as the exhaust manifold.

Last edited by Toms cutlass; August 15th, 2017 at 04:01 PM.