Secret Audio with stock stereo

Search this Thread

Old July 25th, 2014, 09:15 PM

Secret Audio with stock stereo

Hi Guys,

Excuse me if this was covered before.
I am thinking of putting a secret audio setup in my '68 442 vert. I have an original stereo and 8 track player in it. I'd like to have both. I was thinking of running the output of the stock stereo/8-track into the aux input of the new secret audio set up. Maybe running a duel cone 6x9 in the stock dash location and the speakers in the kick panels and a sub under the seat.

Has anyone done this? Seems like a great set up if it will work.

Craig
Old July 25th, 2014, 10:29 PM

yea they sell all that stuff ur talking about
Old July 25th, 2014, 11:38 PM

With the stock stereo in the dash you'll need to run a speaker with the same ohms. You could run the stock stereo eight track and dash speaker, then run the secret audio with the kick panel speakers and subs separately. Or you could go with the secret audio dash unit with the correct ohms to run your aftermarket dash speaker replacement.
Old July 26th, 2014, 04:39 AM

If your looing to keep your stock look , to me the kick panel speakers just stand out to much . We have a local guy who hides two high end small speakers 4" if i remember right under the dash . he builds them out of pvc pipe and end caps to seal them then screw into the end for the screen.
Old July 26th, 2014, 07:32 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 442craig
I was thinking of running the output of the stock stereo/8-track into the aux input of the new secret audio set up.
I doubt you can do this. The aftermarket stereo AUX input is set up to accept a low-level input, i.e., the signal you get BEFORE the amplifier. The output of the stock stereo is a high-level signal that is AFTER the amplifier. The only way to make this work is to go into the stock stereo and rewire it so that you get a low-level output compatible with the AUX input. It's not difficult but you need one of the Delco radio manuals that has the schematics.
Old July 26th, 2014, 07:59 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I doubt you can do this. The aftermarket stereo AUX input is set up to accept a low-level input, i.e., the signal you get BEFORE the amplifier. The output of the stock stereo is a high-level signal that is AFTER the amplifier. The only way to make this work is to go into the stock stereo and rewire it so that you get a low-level output compatible with the AUX input. It's not difficult but you need one of the Delco radio manuals that has the schematics.
OR you can use a Peripheral SVEN unit, which is designed to make just such a linkage.

- Eric
Old July 26th, 2014, 08:05 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by MDchanic
OR you can use a Peripheral SVEN unit, which is designed to make just such a linkage.
Kewl. Never knew such a beast existed. Of course, that means you are still amplifying the OEM tuner signal through the crappy original amp (with whatever distortion you get) then dropping it back down through this device (with additional distortion) then amplifying it again through the aftermarket unit. Might be easier to just put a toggle switch in the speaker wires to allow either unit to operate the same speakers.
Old July 26th, 2014, 08:12 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Of course, that means you are still amplifying the OEM tuner signal through the crappy original amp (with whatever distortion you get) then dropping it back down through this device (with additional distortion) then amplifying it again through the aftermarket unit. Might be easier to just put a toggle switch in the speaker wires to allow either unit to operate the same speakers.
Absolutely true, and it's really intended for more modern "head units" that have higher fidelity, and that are so integrated into some cars that the owner would rather not replace them.

As for a toggle switch, I'd prefer a relay array that also turns off the unused unit, to protect the output transistors.

- Eric
Old July 26th, 2014, 08:14 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by MDchanic
As for a toggle switch, I'd prefer a relay array that also turns off the unused unit, to protect the output transistors.

- Eric
Yeah, that would be a better solution, plus that makes it easy to get enough terminals to switch ALL the speaker wires without resorting to a stacked rotary switch.
Old July 26th, 2014, 09:46 AM

Wow guys! Thanks for all the info. "Sounds" like I have my work cut out for me!

Thanks,

Craig
Old July 26th, 2014, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Yes you do... You can also send your radio out and have the internals converted and not have to worry about your hidden stereo unit. It will probably run the same cost. There are other companies that do this, Just linked this one.

http://taymanelectrical.com/stereo.htm
Old July 26th, 2014, 11:08 AM

Thanks Eric. More options!