Audio system and gauges: add, redo or replace?

Search this Thread

Old November 19th, 2010, 04:40 PM
Got wood? I do! (an '89)

Audio system and gauges: add, redo or replace?

In my '89 Custom Cruiser I have the optional Delco AM Stereo/Cassette/EQ head unit with what's supposed to be a power antenna and working left rear and right front speakers. After looking at prices for redoing this original system I'm wondering if just replacing it all wouldn't be a better--and more cost-effective--option.

Replacing the OEM power antenna alone runs around $175 (anyone with another to spare/sell?), and if I'm going to take the dash & D-pillars apart to replace the stock speakers anyway, is there a reason to stay with OEM parts?

If anyone's redone their Custom Cruiser's audio system--either stock or otherwise--I'd like your input.

Speaking of which...
Olds offered an option/package that put three additional gauges down in the "wood" panel beneath the main one (speedo, gas gauge, etc.). I hate not having any real idea of what's going on under the hood (engine temp/oil pressure/voltage/etc.). Has anyone added gauges to their Olds, either aftermarket or original? If so, what was the cost & pain-in-the-***-factor in doing so?

Thanks in advance,

Drew

Old November 20th, 2010, 06:30 AM

Post some pics of the dash so we can get a better idea what we are dealing with.

Whoever quoted you 175 on the antenna must have been for new GM part and an hour of labor.
You can get a repair kit for it for 50 from GM and repair it yourself.
I bet these can be had in boneyards still. Look for one in the DOWN position, as it has a better chance on working. Most of the antennas from mid 80's to late 90's are similar (providing same mounting method), with different brackets and connectors. A little home engineering could cost you 35 bucks or so.

Does the radio itself work? If so, it is possible to hook an amp to it and install better speakers. I did this on my '86 years ago.
If the radio is bad, this would be another good boneyard item. Consider all late 80's early 90s cars with the same wiring plug.
In fact if yours has a tape player, you could replace it one that has cd instead.

Never before had I seen an aftermarket radio put into one of these cars that looked like it belonged there. Those Delco units worked nicely (when the did)...

I have not seen those gauges, but if they were available, I would get out scouting the yards for some. A pic of your dash with help me remember them. I think gauges should be in every car.
Old November 20th, 2010, 06:45 AM

FYI

Here's a thread on volt vs amp meters

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...amp-gauge.html
Old November 29th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Got wood? I do! (an '89)

Here's the unit in question. You'll notice the fader is turned 3/4ths to "rear" as I have a left front and right rear speaker only at the moment...

The previous owner used one of those cassette-style adapters and a Discman, while I'm using an FM tuner for CDs or my iPod. Of course, with a lousy fixed replacement antenna even that is out of sheer desperation.

I'd love to "re-install" a power antenna but at $80 w/o labor it seems kind of steep (though snow-removal would be much easier). Are there any other antennas/adapters that work with this head unit? From what I hear these systems don't do well with aftermarket accessories. [Something about the speakers not being grounded or something. Sorry, not much help here I know...]
Old November 30th, 2010, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
You can get a repair kit for it for 50 from GM and repair it yourself.
I bet these can be had in boneyards still. Look for one in the DOWN position, as it has a better chance on working. Most of the antennas from mid 80's to late 90's are similar (providing same mounting method), with different brackets and connectors. A little home engineering could cost you 35 bucks or so.

Does the radio itself work? If so, it is possible to hook an amp to it and install better speakers. I did this on my '86 years ago.

Originally Posted by auto_editor
Here's the unit in question.

I'd love to "re-install" a power antenna but at $80 w/o labor it seems kind of steep (though snow-removal would be much easier). Are there any other antennas/adapters that work with this head unit? From what I hear these systems don't do well with aftermarket accessories. [Something about the speakers not being grounded or something. Sorry, not much help here I know...]
The above unit is the same one I have in my '86 Cutlass. You can use the stock GM pwr antennas (see above quote for info), or an aftermarket pwr antenna (just have to wire it differently.)

You can hook amps to these radios, as long as you do it right.
You will need 10 Ohm 5 watt load resistors on the radio outputs to simulate speakers so the radio will not blow it's output stage.
You will also need a speaker-level to low level floating ground adapter, which will convert the radio's differential pair (non-grounded (or floating ground)) outputs to a low-level standard RCA plug for connection to an amp. These should be still available out there...

On my Cutlass, i used all Kenwood direct-fit replacement speakers and kept the original ones. The fronts got bass-blocking capacitors and no amp and the rear got a 30x2 amp. Sounds good enough for what little I use the car...

All wiring was left intact. I used connectors from junk speakers to solder onto and plug into the original harnesses. Make sure you know which is + and - when hooking it all up.

If that tape deck gets the common "perpetual reversing" problem, let me know, as I have a writeup on how to fix it...
Old January 30th, 2013, 11:02 AM

Hi, Talking about alternatives to your radio cassette above, I have the same in my Custom Cruiser and want to add a CD player but keep the car stock. I also want to ensure any GM unit I buy doesn't have some security associated with it which might cause problems.

I wanted to learn if the GM radio cassette CD model GM 09366374 would be a practical alternative as its also a double din unit and it its wiring would connect to existing connections?

Have a look at -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/96-03-CENTUR...00877721384%26

for a photo.

I look forward to any advice.

Thanks.