The Newbie Forum The place where you should introduce yourself. Do not ask technical questions here, use the site forum sections.

trade 1971 stereo for 1972 stereo

Search this Thread

Old December 24th, 2012, 10:34 PM

Smile trade 1971 stereo for 1972 stereo

Hi all,
I've had a 72 442 for 15 years. I'm doing some heavy resto and modification work. I bought a stereo but its the unit that is split with the multiplexer unit and now I understand that the 72's had a single head unit. Now I'm looking to sell or trade mine and find a proper one.

In case your interested in other work, I've added real wood to the all wood areas including dash, doors and console. It has a hurst his hers. I used real rose wood or whatever wood was imitated with the plastic. Not an easy project, I've gotta tell you. I'm also converting the 455 to dual fuel. I'm adding CNG with a 10 gallon tank in the trunk. I'm anxious to slam the pedal at a dollar a gallon.(yes, a dollar a gallon with a home fueling station which I already have for another CNG car I have). Anyone interested in these projects, ping me.

Car is blue with white stripes, convertible, 455 with edelbroke aluminum heads 400 tranny and gear vendors kit for overdrive. Has factory cruise, upgraded sport steering wheel, AC Pwr windows,tic tac, and original fiberglass hood. I'm Chris, Merry Christmas.
Old December 25th, 2012, 07:48 AM

how much for the radio?
Old December 25th, 2012, 08:17 AM

How much for the radio

Paid 275 and now its in a local shop getting refurbed which will be another 250 or so. I'm not going to sell it unless I find the correct stereo. If I do, I'll sell it for what I'm paying for a working 72. Let's stay in touch if you're interested. The point is, I'm going to use it if I have no choice.
Old December 25th, 2012, 08:41 AM

The two piece AMFM radios were offered in the 1970 year. In 71 forward they were one piece. In 72 you could also get an AMFM mono radio in addition to the AMFM stereo radio. The stereo radio is much better obviously, especially cool with the "stereo" light in the dial.

You should post pictures of the woodgrain inserts, sounds like a lot of detail work. Nice color combo. Good luck in your search.
Old December 25th, 2012, 08:53 AM

Darn. Now the name of my thread is wrong. Wonder if I should start a new one? Thanks for the nice comments regarding the car. I will post the wood grain as soon as I add the glove box door. I've left it off and some of the defroster stuff in anticipation of the stereo. I can't wait to connect it to the already existing very large amp, sub woofers and speakers. The Plan is to also have continue to use a direct connect to the amp for the Ipod and use the ipod as a stereo head unit as I have been doing.