map light question

Search this Thread

Old March 17th, 2012, 08:02 PM

map light question

i have a 69 442 and I want to change the map light. My light has a nasty burn mark. I got one off ebay that has a very clean lens. The problem is that the map light i currently have has a metal prong that had a black wire that plugged into it. The new map light does not have this metal prong. They look exactly the same except for the prong? What is that prong used for? and can I install the new map light without the prong?
Old March 18th, 2012, 07:11 PM

Map Light

The black wire attaching to the back of the map light is the ground wire. The wire is about 9" long and attaches to a bracket screw on the back side of the dash. You can see a picture of the connection on page 12-311 of the assembly manual.

I do not know if the light will work properly without the ground hooked up. I have only seen two map lights, and both had the prong for the ground wire. The prong is rivited onto the map light assembly, so it is unlikely that you could swap that part out. You may be able to solder the ground wire to where the prong should be.

While you have the map light assembly out, make sure the switch actually connects/disconnects the connection on the back side of the light. Mine did not, and caused the interior lights to never shut off.
Old March 20th, 2012, 06:38 PM

thank you, I bought it on ebay and was surprised not to see the prong. Maybe I can cut the prong off and solder it to the other assembly