72 Cutlass Mirror Map Light Question

Search this Thread

Old September 30th, 2014, 07:08 AM

72 Cutlass Mirror Map Light Question

Could anyone provide some advice on how to change the bulb in the rear view mirror map light feature? I have a 72 Cutlass with this option. It's not working so I'm assuming the bulb is burned out. I'm hoping to get some advice on how to get that bulb out without breaking something. Thanks!
Old September 30th, 2014, 09:09 AM

You have to remove the lens/light assembly from the bottom of the mirror. From what I remember, there are tabs on each narrow side (well, front and back as it sits in the car) that need to be pushed in slightly so the assembly can drop out the bottom of the mirror. Be careful as the thin sides of the housing can be brittle and crack if they are pushed too far. Do one side at a time, and it should release and drop out.

The bulb is then simply hooked over two spring terminals. Pop it off, put new one on, and insert the assembly back into the mirror.

Old September 30th, 2014, 09:35 AM

Will do, thanks! Mine looks to be in pretty good shape but I will still go easy on it.
Old September 30th, 2014, 09:42 AM

My map light did not work either. If the bulb change doesn't work, maybe check the following.

I just replaced the head liner in the car and when removing the moulding at the top of the windshield, found that the wire to the mirror was pinched between the steel and the moulding. When i pull the moulding off the wires were bare and contacted the steel roof and a small fire broke out on old headliner. As it is the original headliner, i can only assume it has been this way from the factory. Might be something else to check. Also now i reccomend to disconnect you battery before trying this too.

Good luck
Old September 30th, 2014, 11:24 AM

Thanks and it's agreed there is alot of juice up there, plenty to cause a spark big enough for a fire.
Old September 30th, 2014, 11:42 AM

Just a dumb point, but make sure that it's actually getting power. 72 Chevy circuits for that are ignition switched, for instance. May not apply here.
Old September 30th, 2014, 12:24 PM

I found this picture of the light and remembered that the lens has to be removed before the assembly will drop out.

Originally Posted by Koda
Just a dumb point, but make sure that it's actually getting power. 72 Chevy circuits for that are ignition switched, for instance. May not apply here.
Good point, but on the Cutlass the wire is hot all the time. I had some issues back in the 90s when cleaning the interior of the convertible. I must have swiped the mirror light with my glass cleaning rag and I couldn't tell during the day that the map light was on and the battery was drained overnight. Then another time I came out in the morning to find the mirror was cracked. I touched it and burned my finger.

Last edited by Fun71; September 30th, 2014 at 12:29 PM.
Old September 30th, 2014, 01:25 PM

If you do break anything I have extra parts. In more than one instance I have had power to the switch & the bulb is good, but still no light. I then took a small screw driver & scratched the copper connector to make sure it was touching the little "bullet" connector in the top of the mirror. Of course you have to do this with the bulb holder out of the mirror.
Old September 30th, 2014, 03:24 PM

Yeah, I had to do that, plus bend the copper connector on one map light so it would make contact. It's a simple setup but there still a few things that can go wrong.