Search this Thread

Old September 5th, 2014, 06:02 PM

I have a 1979 cutlass salon (the fast back) in dam near mint condition IMO I've been told it's worth some money was appraised by idk who by my wife's parents they said it was worth somewhere around 7k so I did a little research myself and found a guy trying to get almost 7k for a kinda rusted oneand said there's something like 25 or 30 known to be registered does anyone know any more about this model can tell me if anyone might be interested in it

Last edited by Cuttysalon; September 6th, 2014 at 04:55 AM.
Old September 5th, 2014, 06:56 PM
Old School Olds

Welcome.
Can you post some pics
of it? That would help a lot.
Old September 5th, 2014, 07:42 PM
Lansing built

Welcome to C.O.
I believe that I know what you have! FYI those cars were dropped after two years, due to slow sales.

Salon nickname the butless.

Pat
Old September 5th, 2014, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Cuttysalon
found a guy trying to get almost 7k for a kinda rusted oneand said there's something like 25 or 30 known to be registered does anyone know any more about this model can tell me if anyone might be interested in it
What someone is asking for a car means nothing as far as what it will sell for if it ever does. It's completed sales that you need to determine value, not asking prices.

As far as "25 or 30" known to be registered, nonsense. There is no central database keeping track of things like this. Cars are registered at the state level, not nationally, so that's 50 databases that would have to be searched. In short, there is no way to determine how many are still on the road.

All that you have been told by people like this "guy" are the things that sellers of old cars tell potential buyers in an attempt to get them to buy the car. Most of the time, little to none of it turns out to be true.

Production of the '79 Cutlass Salon coupe totaled 8,399, while production of the '79 Cutlass Salon Brougham coupe was 3,617. These numbers are actually quite low compared to the Cutlass Salon sedans, which totaled about 38,000. However, both of these are drops in the bucket compared to production of the Cutlass Supreme that year, which, in all flavors, totaled about 400,000.

So this does mean that this car is somewhat rare today, relatively speaking, but that doesn't automatically make it valuable as three things determine value of an old car: rarity, condition, and desirability. Many people assume that, if the first two are true, the third will automatically be true, but that's not the case at all.

As 1970cs points out, sales of these were very slow compared to the Supremes as attested to by the numbers above (and sales were much worse for the second and last year of production, 1980, when about 4,500 Salon coupes were sold), and that's because these were not popular when new. That means they're not likely to be popular now, either.

The Old Cars Price Guide lists the value of a '79 Salon coupe, Brougham or not, in showroom condition, at about $3,100 to $3,200. In "car show" condition, the next level down, the values are in the $1,500 to $2,000 range.

These values, of course, are just averages, and people can and do put stock in them or not as they see fit. But I do think that, in general, these cars are not very valuable nor highly sought-after by Oldsmobile enthusiasts.
Old September 6th, 2014, 04:53 AM

Thank you

Originally Posted by jaunty75
What someone is asking for a car means nothing as far as what it will sell for if it ever does. It's completed sales that you need to determine value, not asking prices.

As far as "25 or 30" known to be registered, nonsense. There is no central database keeping track of things like this. Cars are registered at the state level, not nationally, so that's 50 databases that would have to be searched. In short, there is no way to determine how many are still on the road.

All that you have been told by people like this "guy" are the things that sellers of old cars tell potential buyers in an attempt to get them to buy the car. Most of the time, little to none of it turns out to be true.

Production of the '79 Cutlass Salon coupe totaled 8,399, while production of the '79 Cutlass Salon Brougham coupe was 3,617. These numbers are actually quite low compared to the Cutlass Salon sedans, which totaled about 38,000. However, both of these are drops in the bucket compared to production of the Cutlass Supreme that year, which, in all flavors, totaled about 400,000.

So this does mean that this car is somewhat rare today, relatively speaking, but that doesn't automatically make it valuable as three things determine value of an old car: rarity, condition, and desirability. Many people assume that, if the first two are true, the third will automatically be true, but that's not the case at all.

As 1970cs points out, sales of these were very slow compared to the Supremes as attested to by the numbers above (and sales were much worse for the second and last year of production, 1980, when about 4,500 Salon coupes were sold), and that's because these were not popular when new. That means they're not likely to be popular now, either.

The Old Cars Price Guide lists the value of a '79 Salon coupe, Brougham or not, in showroom condition, at about $3,100 to $3,200. In "car show" condition, the next level down, the values are in the $1,500 to $2,000 range.

These values, of course, are just averages, and people can and do put stock in them or not as they see fit. But I do think that, in general, these cars are not very valuable nor highly sought-after by Oldsmobile enthusiasts.
Thank you very much I didn't think it was actually worth much just had to ask someone more knowledgable about that model
Old September 6th, 2014, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Cuttysalon
Thank you very much I didn't think it was actually worth much just had to ask someone more knowledgable about that model
I'm not actually particularly knowledgeable about this model. I'm just going by what's generally true about collector cars, what the guides are saying about the value of this one, and the general nonsense comments about "rarity" or "one of only three left" or "my buddy just sold one for 10 grand and I'm asking only 8" or whatever that typically accompanies the photos and descriptions in craigslist ads.

The post-1972 Cutlasses, though they do certainly have a following, are nothing like the '72 and earlier cars in terms of popularity and availability of parts. There is perhaps a higher level of interest in the '73 to '77 cars relative to the '78 and later as these were before the 1978 Cutlass redesign. But the '78 and later cars are another notch lower in terms of interest. Because interest in these is so low, no one reproduces body, trim, interior, anything like that-type parts for anything after the 1972 model year (that I'm aware of). Mechanical parts, though, should be readily available.
Old September 6th, 2014, 10:15 AM

Wow, knowing nothing about that model I'd guess it's totally a buyers number. The max number a buyer is willing to pay. Can't imagine it holds any love for the "I had one in high school and have looked for years" buyer?

That Butlass beauty may have hold out, survivor value? That would be held out from the crusher when Pacers and Aztecs were lined up to rid the country from having to look at them.
Old September 6th, 2014, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by White_Knuckles
That Butlass beauty may have hold out, survivor value?
But that begs the perennial question: survivor value to whom?

Just because it's in good shape and rare doesn't automatically mean that people will flock to it. It still needs to be desirable, and that's generally not true for these cars.
Old September 30th, 2014, 07:23 AM

I'm the advisor for the 1978-1980 Cutlass for the national Olds Club, and after reading what all was said above on this Salon, I have say it's all 100% on the money. Everyone is right on the comments made above, even the Butless, that's spot on too.

This is an extremely low demand car these days, always was. The only one that had any kind of a following, if that, was the 1978-1979 442 which was based out of this model, the Salon.

This car was not your father's Oldsmobile, it was your grandfather's Oldsmobile back in the days it was made. In fact, I remember when I owned a landscaping business back in the early 80's, the Salon was all the rave with my septuagenarian customers. We used to joke we could tell how old the person was who was living in a given house if one of these were parked in the driveway. Sad to day but that's the following these cars had, and even sadder to say those people are all gone now.

Even low mileage mint condition Salons don't bring much, especially if they had the 231 Buick motor in them.
Old September 30th, 2014, 08:40 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I had a friend in Atlanta that I visited about 1982. He had a 4-door with a diesel. That is about as bad as it gets.
Old September 30th, 2014, 10:18 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Sorry to disappoint, but those cars were chuckle worthy lame-mobiles when they were brand new, and certainly aren't any cooler now that they're outdated by a half century .
Old September 30th, 2014, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by BlueCalais79
Even low mileage mint condition Salons don't bring much, especially if they had the 231 Buick motor in them.
Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
Sorry to disappoint, but those cars were chuckle worthy lame-mobiles when they were brand new
Somebody needs to talk to this guy:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ooklyn-ny.html

The first time he posted it, on September 9, he claimed that because it was two years older than when he had it appraised for an average of $4,000 two years ago, it's now worth $5,000. That's 25% appreciation in two years! Wow! Sell all your stocks and buy up all the '78 Cutlass Salons you can find! I'm kind of curious what sources his appraiser used.

Then he posted it again, on September 27, lowering his asking price to $4,500.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...condition.html

Between these two threads he has started, he has received over 300 page views but not a single reply. I think the marketplace is telling him something.

Last edited by jaunty75; September 30th, 2014 at 10:41 AM.
Old October 1st, 2014, 08:57 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Between these two threads he has started, he has received over 300 page views but not a single reply. I think the marketplace is telling him something.
It sure is. It is not polite to just walk into a fellow's thread and tell him he is wrong though.

As far as the appraisal goes, It's in the heart of New York. Most everything in that city is automatically expense inflated.

For example: A pack of cigarettes in Kentucky is probably 4 bucks, pack of cigarettes in the heart of NYC is probably 14 bucks.
Old October 1st, 2014, 09:12 AM

The only Butlass I ever saw that I liked was the Mid-Engine Toro drive 442. And that was still fugly, but the engineering compensated for it to give an overall "like it" rating.
Old October 1st, 2014, 12:56 PM
Just an Olds Guy

The only good thing about a 78/79 Salon is that from the drivers seat you can't see what the outside looks like. This was one of Olds's worst efforts. There is absolutely nothing about the 78/9 salons or 442s that has any appeal; even the numbering looks horrible. I think Olds must have fired the designer and he flipped over to the Cadillac division. Maybe he was bound and determined to force it on the masses though and in 1980 it was tried again with the upscale Cadillac Seville. Another Butt Ugly effort that actually ran till 1988. I remember seeing them when they first came out and it was hard not to laugh when I saw the backside. At least they put some effort into the trunk extension though.

This guy has the right idea...

In this pic (442 and Salon coupe shared the same body), it looks reminiscent of the Monza and Skyhawk, mostly because you can't see that hideous back end. I guess from the right angle, with the right lighting, and right paint job anything can be made to look....uh..better. Note the lack of 442 badging on the front of the car?

Old October 1st, 2014, 07:05 PM

Heh, "Mr. BJ's"

Heh heh
Old October 2nd, 2014, 11:20 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Thought you might like that....
Old October 3rd, 2014, 10:41 AM

rare yes worth anything ?????? it depends what someone is willing to pay for it
I have a 78 salon with a 350 sbc and a m21 4spd I enjoy it because nobody has them anymore
Old October 4th, 2014, 11:13 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Back in 78 there was a shortage of Olds engines and the SBC was used in a fair number of cars produced. GM's original frankenmobile.

Rare? no. Desirable? No. Worth anything? Only what someone is willing to pay. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but in general principle the 78/9 salon and 442 hve a tough uphill grind to get that going.
Old October 5th, 2014, 04:36 AM

If anyone wants to see a really nice and rare version of these cars, E-Bay has one, a 1978 Salon with low mileage and it's a 5 speed car. Super rare. The VIN does not seem to be right though, and I've sent the seller a memo asking to get that clarified. The 3,4,5 digits should be J09, not J87. The J87 was the 4 door and the J09 is the 2 door. The seller's got the prod numbers right though for the 2 door.

It's worth a look as it's in fantastic shape, not a bad price (a bit too high in my view) and it's a western US car so the frame should be in good shape. Geez, just wish it wasn't so darn u-g-l-y though
Old October 6th, 2014, 07:25 AM

this is my 78
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
salon.jpg (54.3 KB, 29 views)