72 Cutlass Map Light Question

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2012, 06:47 PM

72 Cutlass Map Light Question

Just installed the additional courtesy light package and most everything seems to be working as it should except for the map light. The map light seems to also control the 2 under dash courtesy lights and the dome light. Should the map light be working independently of the courtesy lights?

Thanks!
Old May 29th, 2012, 07:04 PM

Should be independent. Map light should connect to hot 12V (orange) and return to ground. Sounds like you accidently tapped into one of the white ctsy light lines as a ground.
Old May 30th, 2012, 04:51 AM

Well actually, the light switch is wired to the door switches. The connector for the map light has the orange hot and a white striped wire and a separate ground. The connector is wired just like the courtesy lights so when the map light is 'off' and the doors are open, the light is 'on'. When the doors are closed and the light switch is 'on', the post for the door switch wire is grounded and the courtesy lights come on. What am I missing here? So, I guess you're telling me that your map light works independent of the courtesy lights. Is the wiring the same as I've described above? Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
PA300024.jpg (33.2 KB, 54 views)
Old May 30th, 2012, 05:22 AM

Mine works only with its own switch. The wiring diag shows only an orange hot and a black panel ground, which makes sense by how mine works. Any chance that connector you used was for the rear courtesy lights or something? I wonder if there was a running design change for later 72 models? I would have to pop mine out to check its wiring...
Old May 31st, 2012, 07:59 PM

Found this thread https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-lighting.html which has an excellent pic of the map light connections and it shows...only 2 wires like you said. However, mine has the additional wire for the door switches which makes it operate like another courtesy light. Interesting. I bought my harness from someone on this board so not exactly sure what year Cutlass it came from but there is obviously a difference at some point.
Old May 31st, 2012, 08:08 PM

I know the maplight on my friend's '69 operates with the door switches. Maplight off, stays off when doors are opened, maplight 'on' ONLY lights when door(s) are opened and goes off again when doors are closed (despite being in the 'on' position). So maybe you got a harness for a '68-'69?? Are you going to the BOP show Saturday?
Old June 1st, 2012, 04:42 AM

Yeah, I don't know for sure. Kind of odd. I think mine operates differently even from the way you describe the light in the 69. Mine basically functions as another courtesy light. With the switch 'ON or 'OFF', it comes on when the doors open. It goes out when the doors close if it's 'OFF'. If it's in the 'ON' position, it and all the other courtesy lights stay 'ON' when the doors are closed. I guess if I want it to operate like it should according to the others, I can just remove the door switch wire from the connector. Anyway, guess I should just be happy it's working at this point.

Speaking of the 69, how is the HO coming along? Where is the show this weekend? I feel the need to bang on some hoods !
Old June 2nd, 2012, 07:22 AM

His H/O is coming along well. It should be getting it's final prime/sand this week and may be painted soon (as long as Carl approves what they've done so far). Today is the BOP show that used to be at Hendrick's. Now it's up the street in MacGregor Village complex, just up a couple of lights from the dealership.
Old June 13th, 2012, 07:21 AM

BTW, does anybody offer new dome light/courtesy light harnesses? If you have your dash out, does it make sense to replace the original wiring on this harness?