Bluetooth FM transmitter on 77 Oldsmobile

Search this Thread

Old July 21st, 2020, 09:17 PM

I've been looking around myself, and there's not many. That Autozone part I showed earlier turned out to be a bust because when I added one to my cart, it popped up to say they're not in stock.

Summit's site does show what is apparently an alternative part number, ACDelco 13583033. (Red arrow.)

If you search on this, one of the vendors that turns up is a place called GMPartsGiant.com. They show having this in stock for about $18 and shipping in 1 business day. I added two to the cart, and it did not pop up and say they were out of stock as sometimes happens. Unfortunately, their image is just a generic thing and not a photo of the actual part.

Another vendor that pops up is Ron Tonkin Chevrolet in Portland, Oregon. The image of the part does not look like it should, but, again, it's nothing more than a sketch. Also, their price is much higher at about $30 apiece.

Rockauto, while they don't have it, does show several alternative part numbers. You can try searching on those.

If it were me, I'd probably go ahead and order it from GMPartsGiant and see what you get. If it's not the right part, return it. But they seem to be about the only ones that I've been able to find that appear to have it in stock for a reasonable price and can ship immediately. But maybe before ordering it, you could email them and send them one of these images, such as the rockauto image, and ask if the part they have actually matches the photo.

Last edited by jaunty75; July 21st, 2020 at 09:21 PM.
Old July 22nd, 2020, 01:45 AM

Jaunty,
I'm really sorry to hear about your AC troubles. I tried to re-do my system "the right way" with a newer compressor, parallel flow condenser, etc, etc. It never has worked very well, and I spent a bunch on the set-up. I remember your thread about getting your AC done at that shop and was very happy for you, The last I was told was that my evaporator apparently is leaking, so I'll have to take the cover off of the firewall to swap it out. That put the AC project way down the list.

Byron,
I know the tube you're speaking of. I recall it when I swapped out the speakers in my Dad's '76 Toronado back in the late 80's. I have those same speakers sitting here (don't ask), so I'll post these pics, in case seeing how the piece looks that fits to the grill might somehow help. In case you're wondering how big that tube is, I even flipped the ruler over to the metric side for you.

Good luck.

Old July 22nd, 2020, 02:16 PM

LOL!!! 77Toronado, thank you so much for the metric translation on the tubing. Gee that may make you officially bilingual and certainly facilitate your entry to the great white north - LOL!!!
Actually the photo helps big time. It tells me that the tube should separate from the tube connector attached to the speaker grill. Also that tube connector has some sort of clips attaching it to posts on the grill so trying to pry it off with a screw driver may not be the way to go. I am guessing that it may be best just to disconnect the wire leads and just twist and turn the grille assembly while pulling to see if I can get that tube to separate.
Old July 22nd, 2020, 09:08 PM

I believe that is exactly how I got it loose - unplug the speaker, then twisted the whole thing loose from the tube. It was a really, really long time ago.
I'm from Florida, but I've been up your way several times for work. I finally came to grips with F to C conversion so I could set the thermostat correctly in the hotel. I've enjoyed my visits up there. Well, over a meter of snow in 1.5 days in St Johns, NL, though .... not so much.
Old July 23rd, 2020, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
I've been looking around myself, and there's not many. That Autozone part I showed earlier turned out to be a bust because when I added one to my cart, it popped up to say they're not in stock.

Summit's site does show what is apparently an alternative part number, ACDelco 13583033. (Red arrow.)

If you search on this, one of the vendors that turns up is a place called GMPartsGiant.com. They show having this in stock for about $18 and shipping in 1 business day. I added two to the cart, and it did not pop up and say they were out of stock as sometimes happens. Unfortunately, their image is just a generic thing and not a photo of the actual part.

Another vendor that pops up is Ron Tonkin Chevrolet in Portland, Oregon. The image of the part does not look like it should, but, again, it's nothing more than a sketch. Also, their price is much higher at about $30 apiece.

Rockauto, while they don't have it, does show several alternative part numbers. You can try searching on those.

If it were me, I'd probably go ahead and order it from GMPartsGiant and see what you get. If it's not the right part, return it. But they seem to be about the only ones that I've been able to find that appear to have it in stock for a reasonable price and can ship immediately. But maybe before ordering it, you could email them and send them one of these images, such as the rockauto image, and ask if the part they have actually matches the photo.
You guys do realize you will end up spending more for non-factory (for a 70's car) speakers and connectors than you would have on a good set of speakers that would give you exponentially better sound quality. Right? If this is supposed to be a restoration, it is either factory stock, or it isn't. And if it isn't, you might as well go for something much better. Just a thought.
Old July 23rd, 2020, 11:00 AM

Well it has been an interesting adventure to find the connectors ACDelco PT 2699 that I need for my new rear speakers as shown in an earlier post above. The connectors on the new speakers are different than what is on the original speakers. I really don't care about that as it is more important to me to replace the 43 year old sun baked speakers to restore sound quality and to get the full benefit of my new FM Bluetooth Transmitter.

Autozone was suggested as a source for the connector but doesn't ship to Canada, had none in their warehouse and suggested I check each of their locations. Why I would do this if they won't ship to me is beyond me. I then checked Amazon, eBay, RockAuto, OPGI, Summit Racing and JEGS and a number of other leads. EBay had a listing for one (1) unit that was a ridiculous price (see the earlier post) but I need 2 connectors. Needless to say that wasn't going to fly. A number of the others listed the unit but had no stock and indicated shipping dates from July 29 to August 25th.
Additionally with the US$ prices quoted + shipping + exchange + customs charges = landed CDN$ prices from $50 to $60. Not to mention that delivery was still 4-8 weeks away.

So just for the heck of it I phoned the local GM dealers and to my surprise they actually quoted me prices and delivery within a week. Apparently this is still an active part and is used in a number of GM vehicles up to and including 2018 vehicles. It is not used solely for speakers but for a range of features from hi mount tail lights, power seat and window switches and other things which varies by model.

I also found a local parts supply house that distributes ACDelco parts and they stated that they could deliver the parts within a day. So I placed the order yesterday afternoon and picked the 2 connectors up this morning. To be sure I brought a new speaker with me and tested it out right there at the supply house and it is a perfect fit. I was tickled because they only cost CDN $30 each (USD $22 each based on current exchange) and I got them right away.

So I learned something very interesting. The parts house told me (and they are a ACDelco distributor) that the part number PT2699 was now superseded and THE NEW NUMBER IS PT3835.
Here is a photo of the part and the bag which lists the relevant numbers.

If you do an internet search on this part number PT3835 there a dozens of listings for this connector and lots of stock around. Hope this information is helpful to others.
Old July 23rd, 2020, 11:11 AM

While doing my research and sourcing for new connectors I came across an interesting pdf file that lists all sorts of ACDelco/GM pigtails and sockets and a cross reference list.. So thought I would share this with you. Hopefully the file uploads. Maybe the Moderator would consider making this a "Sticky" in the appropriate forum so it is readily available to all.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Pigtails.pdf (3.06 MB, 1 views)
Old July 23rd, 2020, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by cjsdad
You guys do realize you will end up spending more for non-factory (for a 70's car) speakers and connectors than you would have on a good set of speakers that would give you exponentially better sound quality. Right? If this is supposed to be a restoration, it is either factory stock, or it isn't. And if it isn't, you might as well go for something much better. Just a thought.
Hindsight is always 20-20.

I'm the first one in this group who bought these speakers, and I bought them because they were a good price and because they are a drop-in replacement for the speakers that were in the car as far as fit, screw hole locations, and that sort of thing. It wasn't until I actually received the speakers that I found out that they had that weird connector on them. Yes, I could have sent them back, but, I thought, before doing that, I would look for connectors that would fit. Things are a lot different now than they were in early 2019 when I bought mine. The connectors were easy to come by, and I bought a pair without a problem. I don't know why things are different now, but if you have some helpful advice, instead of just being critical, it would be much more appreciated.

And the speakers sound just fine.

Last edited by jaunty75; July 29th, 2020 at 11:46 AM.
Old July 23rd, 2020, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by ByronF
While doing my research and sourcing for new connectors I came across an interesting pdf file that lists all sorts of ACDelco/GM pigtails
Byron, that's a great resource. Thanks!
Old July 23rd, 2020, 08:57 PM

We should also point out that factory originality was not the main factor for the speakers we selected. Rather it is/was the ohm rating. Our old cars have systems that require/prefer 8 ohm speakers. Unfortunately the few 8 ohm auto speakers available today have different connectors. Using the more readily and currently available 4 ohm speakers does not avoid the connector problem and also imposes an additional issue by stressing the existing radio systems which were designed for 8 ohm impedance.
As my research has discovered, the connectors required for the new speakers are quite readily available and are still used by GM on a number of current vehicles, albeit for different functions than speaker hook up.The problem seems to be that the part number has been superseded. Once you can track the new part number you will find dozens of listings for the connectors at very reasonable prices. The new part number is listed in an earlier post.
Old July 23rd, 2020, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Hindsight is always 20-20.
I don't know why things are different now, but if you some helpful advice, instead of just being critical, it would be much more appreciated.

And the speakers sound just fine.
You are right, I was a bit critical and I'm sorry for that. I was frustrated for you because you were searching for connectors in order to use your new speakers. The point I was trying to make is that upgrading to better speakers can give you a much better audio experience without the hassle of trying to track down a proprietary connector. While the original Delco radios were designed for 10 ohm speakers and the 8 ohm replacements you found are close, I have replaced literally thousands of GM speakers with more popular 4 ohm speakers without harm to the radio. The lower impedence and much better frequency response will give you higher volume output without having to drive the radio outputs as hard. It is a pretty clost trade-off. As long as you don't try and use it like a street beater, you can use the 4 ohm replacements. If you want higher listening levels you need a new sound system anyway. Cheers!
Old July 29th, 2020, 11:43 AM

All my new speakers are installed and working just fine. So nice not to have to listen all the crackling that the old units had. The front passenger side speaker finally let go of the a/c connector tube. Had to remove the speaker wires, grab the base part of the tube with pliers and then twist the grille assembly and it popped loose. Doing the rears as, Jaunty indicated earlier requires you to be a bit of a contortionist but is doable. And the new connectors worked perfectly. So I am now happy that the sound is decent quality, obviously not as good as current cars, but a vast improvement over what it was and allows me to enjoy my new bluetooth fm transmitter. Maybe next year we will work on repairing/replacing the power antenna and look at having the era correct ACDelco/GM radio upgraded to incorporate bluetooth.
My thank to everyone for all your advice, help and input.
Old July 29th, 2020, 11:51 AM

Glad to hear it, Byron, and I'm glad that that connector turned out to be readily available if one just knows the latest part number for it.
Old July 29th, 2020, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by ByronF
Maybe next year we will work on repairing/replacing the power antenna and look at having the era correct ACDelco/GM radio upgraded to incorporate bluetooth.
My thank to everyone for all your advice, help and input.
Glad you're happy with the stereo upgrade. If the motor runs on your power antenna but it doesn't go up or down, chances are you have a broken cable inside it. Look on ebay or maybe Amazon for a "Delco mast and cable" and find one like in the link here https://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Anten...IAAOSw7yZbP4de .
The Delco power antennas are actually very robust but the cable is the weak part. Definitely better than any aftermarket power antenna. Drill out the rivets and remove the clips holding the motor case together and separate. Unscrew the top button, take out the parts of the old cable, and install the new one. Use bolts of your choice to put the case back together and it should work. The hard part is getting them out and back in...

Last edited by cjsdad; July 29th, 2020 at 08:23 PM.