Radio interchangeability?

Search this Thread

Old November 7th, 2006, 09:19 AM

Radio interchangeability?

Well, we're continuing work on the 78 Delta and now my son's pushing for a radio. It has a functioning AM radio and an FM convertor ('member those? ) now.

He'd like AM/FM/CD. I have a single DIN radio I could adapt, but he doesn't want me trimming on his dash.

I got thinking I could just go with an OEM AM/FM and the use an FM modulated CD changer in the trunk.

My question is what other years are the radios interchangeable. If I pick up an ebay item, I want to make sure I'm getting something that'll fit.

Or, if someone here has an AM/FM OEM unit that fits, I'd be interested in it.

Thanks!
Old November 7th, 2006, 11:29 PM

They sell a FM mod like you are taking about at Circut City that I know fits the 85 Delta, or at least they claim.

I was thinking about picking one up so I can listen to my iPod in the Delta, but I bought a am/fm cassette on ebay for $22 shipped. It's pretty nice, it's the high end ditgal, but now I'll have 2 clocks in the car

My old am/fm will be comming out, but I don't think I'm selling it. The lights inside don't work and I'm thinking about taking it apart and trying to fix them, plus there is always the chance I won't like the ditgal in the car and pull it out

I do suggest eBay! There is always a ton of 78-87 delco radios on there that will be an easy and direct swap, and cheap too
Old November 8th, 2006, 05:11 AM

Thanks, Redog!

That's what I was after.. the years that interchange. I think I may have already found an AM/FM/Cassette in my hometown for it.

Thanks!