71 350 MT what is this bit of wiring?

Search this Thread

Old June 1st, 2014, 08:32 PM
ttg

71 350 MT what is this bit of wiring?

Hi Folks,

I'm slowly working through repairing all the hackery done to my wiring harness by a shop I unfortunately engaged with to swap in a new motor. Part of that task included wiring up a MSD 6AL. They tapped in to the main harness on the drivers side using two wires, one looks black the other yellow (above my thumb). They are coming out of the harness near a green and green/white pair that has a brown spade connector and what looks like a grey rectangular resistor connecting the two.

Looking at a 70 wiring diagram I found on line since my digital copy of the 71 shop manual is lacking color and clarity the green green/white pair look like they may be related to the TCS. The other two I can't make sense of. If anyone could help determine what these wires were for originally I'd be greatly appreciative.

I'm actually quite concerned as to what effect having the black and yellow wires connected is if they are not intended to be that way from the factory.

Thank you,

TTG
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IdentifyThisHarnessBit.jpg (64.9 KB, 49 views)
Old June 2nd, 2014, 07:15 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by ttg
Looking at a 70 wiring diagram I found on line since my digital copy of the 71 shop manual is lacking color and clarity
Yet another reason to pony up for a real, paper copy of the CSM...

the green green/white pair look like they may be related to the TCS.
Yes

The other two I can't make sense of. If anyone could help determine what these wires were for originally I'd be greatly appreciative.

I'm actually quite concerned as to what effect having the black and yellow wires connected is if they are not intended to be that way from the factory.
The original coil would have had a pair of wires (a yellow one and a black with pink or orange stripe). That's what these look like. Apparently these were bypassed when the MSD was added?
Old June 3rd, 2014, 07:14 AM
ttg

Thank you for the details Joe. Found this diagram, any opinions on it?

http://www.classiccarwiring.com/1971...iring-diagram/

Or should I get this:

http://www.faxonautoliterature.com/1...do-P12388.aspx

Thanks
Old June 3rd, 2014, 07:34 AM

Joe is right. When you invest so much time and money into a car. Why not get the manual that is correct and original for the car? It only makes sense. You will find it so useful over the years. For many things.

Just my humble opinion

Larry
Old June 3rd, 2014, 07:48 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by ttg
Or should I get this:
I would get an original paper copy, not a reprint or electronic version. There are currently over a dozen 1971 CSMs on ebay, with starting prices from $16-up. Beware that many of the ebay ads are for repros. Get an original. I've never paid more than $25 for an original CSM of any year.
Old June 3rd, 2014, 08:38 AM

Just my humble opinion ... get the fisher manual while you're there. Without it, you really only have half the story.