1975 delta 88 blower motor only blows on low

Search this Thread

Old April 6th, 2018, 10:31 AM

1975 delta 88 blower motor only blows on low

I have replaced the relay to the blower motor under the hood but still the same. I have even replaced the blower motor switch and still nothing. Are there any other relays that I don't know about besides the one under the hood for the blower motor because my next step is to replace the blower motor and see what happens.
Old April 6th, 2018, 11:59 AM

The blower speed is controlled by the voltage supplied to it. Low voltage = low speed, full battery voltage = full speed. It is very unlikely that the problem is the motor unless it is starting to seize. Jumper full battery voltage to the motor and it should run at HI speed. If it does the motor is fine.

IIRC the relay is for high speed only.

Does the motor only work on low speed when the switch is in the low position or is it on low in all switch positions? Does the blower motor shut off when put in positions other than low speed? If it shuts off entirely then my guess with looking at it is the blower motor resistor/speed controller has a bad connection or is burned out/defective.

What was the condition of the plug at the blower switch? They overheat and melt frequently.

Check clean and tighten up the ground connection to the blower motor.

Last edited by Sugar Bear; April 6th, 2018 at 12:17 PM.
Old April 11th, 2018, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Sugar Bear
The blower speed is controlled by the voltage supplied to it. Low voltage = low speed, full battery voltage = full speed. It is very unlikely that the problem is the motor unless it is starting to seize. Jumper full battery voltage to the motor and it should run at HI speed. If it does the motor is fine.

IIRC the relay is for high speed only.

Does the motor only work on low speed when the switch is in the low position or is it on low in all switch positions? Does the blower motor shut off when put in positions other than low speed? If it shuts off entirely then my guess with looking at it is the blower motor resistor/speed controller has a bad connection or is burned out/defective.

What was the condition of the plug at the blower switch? They overheat and melt frequently.

Check clean and tighten up the ground connection to the blower motor.
Hey I changed the compressor because the old one was locked up. then vacuumed the system down before charging the system and when I click the switch to normal the compressor engages but the blower motor shuts completely off and when I switch it to vent it comes back on. As I'm switching the settings from ( NORMAL, HIGH, BI-LEVEL, VENT ) and so fourth you can hear the relay or the compressor clutch click. The blower only blows on low & medium low but does not blow on medium high & high. I used a test light to check the blower motor switch, blower motor, relay, & blower motor resistor. The resistor showing power on all 4 connections, the blower motor switch showing constant power, the relay showing power and the blower motor showing power on the purple wire on the low and medium low but when u click it to medium high and high the purple wire does not have power. I have no clue on what's going on but I bought a new / old stock blower motor switch and its doing the same thing for the original and new switch. I also bought a new blower relay but still no change.