1968 Toronado - Instrument Panel Lights Not Working

Search this Thread

Old June 6th, 2013, 09:05 PM

1968 Toronado - Instrument Panel Lights Not Working

The instrument panel lights do not working in my 68 Toronado. I have tested the fuse block with a volt meter and everything seems normal. All signal and warning indicator lights are working correctly. I know there is a very unlikely possibility that all the bulbs are simply burned out, but I seriously doubt it. Is it possible that the issue could be with the headlight switch? Anyway I can test this? Anyone else run into this problem?

Kind of hoping I don't have to go through the pain of removing the instrument panel...

You guys are always helpful, so thought this a good place to ask...

(Also my gas gauge needle tends to wonders around like a bowlegged drunk in a dark alley... If anyone has any tips for that also...) ٩(๏̯͡๏)۶
Old June 6th, 2013, 10:38 PM

If your taillights are out too, check the fuse, as they're on the same curciut!
Old June 7th, 2013, 04:02 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

As with all other GM cars of the period, power to the instrument panel lamps is supplied by the brown and white wire from the tailights fuse, to the headlight switch, through the dimmer rheostat, to the green wire, through the panel lamps fuse (little, 4A), and finally through the grey wire.

Your problem could be anywhere along that line.

If you have taillights, you know the brown and white wire is good, so see if you have power on the hot side of the fuse. If no power there, then the problem is probably a dirty or melted rheostat coil. If you have power at the hot side of the fuse, then make sure the fuse is good and the fuse terminals are clean, and start checking the grey wire.

- Eric
Old June 7th, 2013, 07:07 AM
Old(s) Fart

1) Verify that the headlight switch **** is NOT turned all the way clockwise
2) Did you check power at the INST fuse?
Old June 7th, 2013, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Rickman48
If your taillights are out too, check the fuse, as they're on the same curciut!

All taillights are working ok...

Originally Posted by MDchanic
As with all other GM cars of the period, power to the instrument panel lamps is supplied by the brown and white wire from the tailights fuse, to the headlight switch, through the dimmer rheostat, to the green wire, through the panel lamps fuse (little, 4A), and finally through the grey wire.

Your problem could be anywhere along that line.

If you have taillights, you know the brown and white wire is good, so see if you have power on the hot side of the fuse. If no power there, then the problem is probably a dirty or melted rheostat coil. If you have power at the hot side of the fuse, then make sure the fuse is good and the fuse terminals are clean, and start checking the grey wire.

- Eric

The fuse terminals are rusty. I think when I get home tonight I will try cleaning the fuse terminal and replacing the fuse. I was going to do this the other night, but the part store I went to did not have any 4A short fuses. If that do not work, then I guess I will try following wires... I wish I had a color-coded wiring diagram... L

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
1) Verify that the headlight switch **** is NOT turned all the way clockwise
Originally Posted by joe_padavano
2) Did you check power at the INST fuse?

I can twist the headlight switch all the way to the left and the courtesy lights come on. However, there is no dash light action taking place. I stuck a voltmeter to both sides of the fuse terminals and get a good voltage reading.
Old June 7th, 2013, 10:06 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by 68RocketAction
The fuse terminals are rusty.
Then it sounds like this is definitely an area worth closer investigation.

I wish I had a color-coded wiring diagram...
And you shall:
Just go to WildAboutCars and download a copy of the Chassis Service Manual (Toro supplement is at the end). Unfortunately, the schematic is not scanned at the best resolution, but it is still there, and does help.

Getting a real paper CSM is also highly recommended.

I stuck a voltmeter to both sides of the fuse terminals and get a good voltage reading.
That's not the right way to use a volt meter (you use it in parallel, not in series, so you go from 1 fuse terminal to ground - with the fuse out, one should be hot, the other not), but it sounds like it indicates that your HL switch is good, which is what you wanted.

Clean up those fuse contacts and let's see what happens...

- Eric
Old June 7th, 2013, 11:02 AM

And you shall:
Just go to WildAboutCars and download a copy of the Chassis Service Manual (Toro supplement is at the end). Unfortunately, the schematic is not scanned at the best resolution, but it is still there, and does help.

Getting a real paper CSM is also highly recommended.
I have the 1968 Oldsmobile Chassis Service Manual .PDF Version. I have printed the Toronado section of the manual, but you are 100% correct about the scan quality... However, it has been extremely helpful…

That's not the right way to use a volt meter (you use it in parallel, not in series, so you go from 1 fuse terminal to ground - with the fuse out, one should be hot, the other not), but it sounds like it indicates that your HL switch is good, which is what you wanted.

Clean up those fuse contacts and let's see what happens...
I will defiantly try doing that tonight and let you guys know…

Last edited by 68RocketAction; June 7th, 2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old June 7th, 2013, 11:31 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

The voltage on the hot side of the panel lamps fuse holder should go up and down as you turn the headlight switch.

- Eric
Old June 7th, 2013, 09:07 PM

Success!!!

The Instrument Panel Lights Are Working!!!

The issue was rust/corrosion on the fuse terminals. I simply unhooked the neg cable on the battery and cleaned as much rust off the fuse terminals as I could in such a roomy comfortable place... Put the fuse back in... Reconnected the battery... Pulled the lever on the lights and watch the dash lights come on for the first time ever!!!

Old June 7th, 2013, 09:21 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

There ya go!

One step at a time, and you figured it out.

Good work.

- Eric