Trunk script holes

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2011, 08:11 AM

Trunk script holes

Will someone please tell me how many holes should be in the left side trunk for the script "cutlass" ? I have 2 holes that are 4 1/2 inches apart and hope these were not for a dealer name plate because the painter left these 2 holes there thinking a cutlass plate went there.I ordered a cutlass script from fusick and it has 3 holes and one hole in my trunk would show even if I drilled out 2 holes to fit the cutlass pins,what a mess. Thanks for any help.
Old May 14th, 2011, 08:31 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by craftsman1956
Will someone please tell me how many holes should be in the left side trunk for the script "cutlass" ?
None. The Cutlass emblem goes on the right side, assuming we're talking about the car in your avatar photo. You didn't specify the year.
Old May 14th, 2011, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
None. The Cutlass emblem goes on the right side, assuming we're talking about the car in your avatar photo. You didn't specify the year.
1972,when the trunk was taken down to bare metal,there were no holes on the right,and a couple pics I saw,showed script on the left,so I need to get this back to the painter I guess unless I can find other pics showing them on the left,thanks for the info!
Old May 14th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Old(s) Fart

1972,when the trunk was taken down to bare metal,there were no holes on the right,and a couple pics I saw,showed script on the left,so I need to get this back to the painter I guess unless I can find other pics showing them on the left,thanks for the info!
Depending on the year, there may not have been a script at all:

Old May 14th, 2011, 09:59 AM

I've got a '72 Supreme and convertible, they both have "OLDSM'O'OBILE" on the trunk, the key lock cylinder shown by 'O'. Each letter has 2 holes. Reference the picture that Joe posted above.
Old May 14th, 2011, 10:02 AM

And come to think of it, my '72 Supreme did have 2 holes on the left for a dealer name plate. It was "Charles Maund" of Austin Tx.
Old May 14th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Will someone please tell me how many holes should be in the left side trunk for the script "cutlass" ? I have 2 holes that are 4 1/2 inches apart and hope these were not for a dealer name plate because the painter left these 2 holes there thinking a cutlass plate went there.I ordered a cutlass script from fusick and it has 3 holes and one hole in my trunk would show even if I drilled out 2 holes to fit the cutlass pins,what a mess. Thanks for any help.
The "Cutlass" script does have 3 posts for mounting. I put a new NOS one on the back of my car prior to its appraisal. The holes use 'barrel' nuts to hold the emblem so you do not have a nut on the other side of the truck deck. This photo shows the location on most f85, Cutlass and Cutlass S cars. I can't honestly say that I've seen any Cutlass Supremes with this on the rear deck. The Supreme used a styleized C/S that was mounted to both sides of the rear roof pillar. All the CS models I've seen also had the OLDSMOBILE lettering, or nothing on the rear deck. NB: dealer nameplate holes don't count; they are usually just a source of rust because they exposed raw metal.

2008_0314MILLER0017.jpg?t=1305395899

2008_0314MILLER0031.jpg?t=1305395931
Old May 15th, 2011, 01:25 PM

I have never seen anything but the "OLDSMOBILE" letters along the rear of the TRUNK(note spelling) lid on a '72 Supreme. There are "Cutlass" emblems that go on each front fender, similar looking to the ones in the prvious post, but I think the size and hole pattern might be different. Chumley
Old May 15th, 2011, 04:16 PM
One of None W-31

Originally Posted by ah64pilot
And come to think of it, my '72 Supreme did have 2 holes on the left for a dealer name plate. It was "Charles Maund" of Austin Tx.

My trunk has the "Oldsmobile" lettering on it, but like ah64pilot posted, my car also had a HUGE nameplate on the far left of the trunk, which I removed and then filled in the holes before painting. So, dealer nameplate sounds like a good explanation to me.
Old May 15th, 2011, 04:58 PM

Last edited by oldzy; October 22nd, 2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old May 15th, 2011, 09:20 PM

My 72 cutlass convertible also has " OLDSMOBILE" across the trunk lid but no "cutlass" script. I believe the picture Joe posted is correct
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
100_0783.jpg (58.8 KB, 27 views)
Old May 23rd, 2011, 08:25 PM

Thanks! i just sent the trunk back to get the 2 left holes filled and repainted.When I worked at a Buick dealer's paint shop 1974-1979,we used to drill those holes,then switched to decals,it didn't think about that before it was painted.Next step is getting the G/c steering box if I can find a rag joint.
Old May 24th, 2011, 09:13 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Here's something to look at: http://cgi.ebay.ca/CHEVY-OLDS-PONTIA...item35b220fda9
Old May 24th, 2011, 09:55 AM

The 1970 Cutlass Supreme had the "Cutlass" emblem on the right side of the trunklid. The 71-72 Supremes had the OLDSMOBILE accross the back,just as what has been shown.
Old May 21st, 2012, 08:11 PM

Quality of exterior Lettering

I recently purchased a set of Oldsmobile Letters from a catalog company. Is it me or the quality of the letters off to some degree. I have not permenantly mounted them but it appears that there is some issues as to straightness and the mounting holes.

Are they all produced by one company or are somes inferior due to coming from you know where? Same with the Cutlass scripts, the new ones don't line up with the old holes. Two of the three holes fit but the third is off by 1/16 or more. Anyone else have any experiences?
Old May 21st, 2012, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Propaneking
I recently purchased a set of Oldsmobile Letters from a catalog company. Is it me or the quality of the letters off to some degree. I have not permenantly mounted them but it appears that there is some issues as to straightness and the mounting holes.

Are they all produced by one company or are somes inferior due to coming from you know where? Same with the Cutlass scripts, the new ones don't line up with the old holes. Two of the three holes fit but the third is off by 1/16 or more. Anyone else have any experiences?
I have come to the conclusion that even though asians are supposed to be good at math there are no measuring devices any where in china. seems most of the repro junk I get 'almost fits'.
Old May 21st, 2012, 08:55 PM

I've got some extra letters and emblems. If your not happy with repop you may be able to find some good used ones from members here. If you want to try that create a parts wanted thread. Then ask for pictures so you can see if the condition is good enough for you. John
Old May 21st, 2012, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by compedgemarine
I have come to the conclusion that even though asians are supposed to be good at math there are no measuring devices any where in china. seems most of the repro junk I get 'almost fits'.

It was the same thing in the South VietNam construction trade. Not a tape measure, ruler, level or a square seemingly in use in the whole country.

Henry
Old May 21st, 2012, 09:06 PM
Just an Olds Guy

I still have the old one I took off when I replaced that one on my car. It's OEM and I KNOW it fits.

Propaneking May I suggest you add your location to your screen name? This is an easy thing; go to User CP and select 'edit details'
Old May 22nd, 2012, 04:59 AM

If you are referring to the individual OLDSMOBILE letters for the 71-72 Cutlass Supreme trunklids,then yes,there are 2 letters that are noticable crooked when installed,due to the pins not being cast in the exact position as the originals.This is also why the NOS letters go for big money,when you can find them.It took me awhile,but I did it.I found a complete set,and I also bought a few mint originals sets.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 05:38 AM

My 72 Supreme convertible has a replacement trunk lid and no holes drilled. I have considered buying a set of letters and drilling the holes, but have held off for exactly the reason previously mentioned. Lousy reproductions. My car is a nice driver, by no means a 100 point show car, and I have just left the trunk blank. Then I get lots of "it's a Chevelle" or I think it's a GTO".

If I do drill the lid, do the individual letters get speed nuts or does the lid get the plastic inserts in the holes and the pins on the letters just push in?
Old May 22nd, 2012, 06:12 AM

Trunk Lettering and Script emblems

Thanks for the help. Those of you who have made the repops work, do you file out the hole to square the letter?

Also is it possible the Cutlass script mounting posts are because I have a poor quality one or most all of those off the mark as well? I'm thinking about cutting off the mounting post that is off center and just using the two that match to hold it.

From the responses I am concluding that one company is making the repops which accounts for the like experiences here?
Old May 22nd, 2012, 10:07 AM
Just an Olds Guy

do you file out the hole to square the letter?

Also is it possible the Cutlass script mounting posts are because I have a poor quality one or most all of those off the mark as well? I'm thinking about cutting off the mounting post that is off center and just using the two that match to hold it
Remember that these scripts are held in place with barrel clips in the trunk deck. If you file out the hole a bit, you just need a slightly larger barrel clip to hold the post in place. Very do-able. So is removing one of the posts. Third option is to take off ALL the posts and use double sided thin trim tape on the back of the script. Any one of these options can work (although the last one takes a bit of patience to trim the excess tape before applying)
Old May 23rd, 2012, 06:48 PM

Allan I was thinking if you file the hole for a larger barrel nut, would the script post be too small for the larger barrel nut to hold the post tightly? I like the tape idea. NO hole in the trunk, because sooner or later water gets in.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 07:26 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Mike, I think the tape idea is a better thing also, for the same reason.

For the barrel nut though? The way I see it is that a slightly larger barrel nut in a slightly larger hole provides just enough offset for the out of alignment post to fit snugly against the side of the nut as the emblem is pressed into place. Anyway that's the theory.

FWIW, my emblem was an NOS replacement and an EXACT fit. The old one is in pretty decent + shape for its age if anyone wants it - LMK via PM and we can set something up.