Seat Belt Bolt SOS

Search this Thread

Old July 21st, 2019, 12:14 PM
1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass S

Unhappy Seat Belt Bolt SOS

So someone recently working on my car has managed to break one of the bolt heads on the front passenger side seat belt bolt. They also managed to break off a drill bit and then a tap on top of it trying to get the bolt out. The top of the tap is sticking out enough to grab onto it with a pair of vice grips but neither of us can get it to twist out. Anyone have any tips on trying to get a broken bolt + broken drill bit + broken tap out of this thing? Thought about using a Dremel with a tough bit on the end to at least get out the tap because we can't seem to drill through it.

Old July 21st, 2019, 01:46 PM

Taps are hardened steel, so you won't be able to get it out using conventional methods (Dremel or drilling). Depending on the size of the tap, you may have to use a center punch and hammer to try and break the tap into chunks, then pick them out. The only other method I know of is "disintegrating". This uses an electrode and high amperage current to basically "melt" the tap and burn it away. The only problem with this method is portability. Back when I was a machinist, the equipment was big and cumbersome to move, but that was some 15 years ago, so maybe the modern equipment is more "user friendly".

I would check with your local machine shops to see if they have any more info.

Good luck😀

Dave
Old July 21st, 2019, 02:22 PM

As Dave said get the broken tap out first and pick out all pieces. Then you can probably drill thru the broken drill bit using a solid carbide drill. That is how I have done it before. Good luck
greg
retired machinist
Old July 22nd, 2019, 05:07 AM

If you took your car to a shop and they did that make sure they are the ones that fix it. You could also blast it out with an acetylene torch. But then you would have to repair the floor pan, re-drill and re-tap the hole for the seat belt bolt.