New Purchase This Week 65 Cutlass

Search this Thread

Old September 5th, 2015, 03:57 PM

New Purchase This Week 65 Cutlass

Just picked this up last week. Was de-chromed for painting 23 years ago, and plans changed. Sat in an underground parking area for all those years not moving. Came with all it's chrome. I'm going to put it all back on and drive it as is. Never been painted, and don't want to wreck it.

My wife says it's boring, and is an old man's car. I told her "guess what....I'm an old man now !"

(That's why I'm trying to sell the 442. Too late in the year, though. Have to e-Bay it in the spring, I suppose)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1965 Cutlass 443.jpg (1.17 MB, 87 views)
1965 Cutlass 444.jpg (1.18 MB, 87 views)
1965 Cutlass 445.jpg (943.3 KB, 79 views)
1965 Cutlass 446.jpg (576.5 KB, 80 views)
1965 Cutlass 447.jpg (882.4 KB, 74 views)

Last edited by HonestDave; September 5th, 2015 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old September 5th, 2015, 04:26 PM

Geeez, a real survivor car! Nice find. Amazing condition and then the trunk shot -unbelievable. BC really? I thought you guys salted roads in the old days trashing cars like us? She's a beauty! Man, I'd hotrod it and feel bad... for awhile.
Old September 5th, 2015, 05:09 PM

The right door has a fair bit of scraping on it, and a tiny ding in the trunk lid as well, near the middle. Front fenders have a touch of rust in the usual lower rears, but a box in the trunk has two excellent patch pieces cut from other fenders decades ago.
Attached Images
1965 Cutlass 448.jpg (664.6 KB, 29 views)
1965 Cutlass 449.jpg (1.04 MB, 27 views)
Old September 5th, 2015, 05:39 PM
Justin

Great score

Dave,that is a very mint cutlass. Fun to drive I bet it drives like new, but why sell the 442 ? Good luck with the sell either way
Old September 5th, 2015, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by oldstata
Dave,that is a very mint cutlass. Fun to drive I bet it drives like new, but why sell the 442 ? Good luck with the sell either way
Hi Justin,
problem is I only have so many covered parking spots. The 65 Cutlass is in the rain after all these years. I bought an 84 Trans Am last month, and am negotiating on one more old sixties car.
I don't seem to be able to stop buying when I find something I think is special.
The 442 doesn't seem to be selling anyway, so it may be a moot point. I'll take it to the island and put it in the garage there for a while. I'll be good until I buy one more car !
Also, the 442 is too quick. I felt I needed that a long time ago, but I like to relax when I drive now......if that's possible.
Old September 5th, 2015, 06:48 PM
same but different

That car looks great.

Good luck with your plans Dave.
Old September 5th, 2015, 07:49 PM
Administrator

Very nice find. Is this just going to get a restore or do you have other plans for it?
Old September 5th, 2015, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Very nice find. Is this just going to get a restore or do you have other plans for it?
I was actually not even going to restore it, really. Just put the chrome back on, try to get it running, rebuild the brakes and keep it dry. Thought maybe to add power steering if time permits. It's got manual brakes as well.

I sort of fell in love with it, but really haven't considered what to do with it. I enjoy looking at it. So hard to find anything close to original any more.

Ideally I'd like to drive a 64-72 Cutlass with a 3 or 4 speed manual floor shifter transmission. Hard to find, though, in a cheap guy's price range. I may be accumulating some trade bait !
Old September 5th, 2015, 08:14 PM
same but different

I feel your need for a manual trans too.

That ole car is a friggen time capsule way back machine.

Have you dug around the interior yet? Any old time things stuffed in the seat cushions..er other places? Nice to hear it comes with fender patches. Someone was thinking ahead.
Old September 5th, 2015, 08:20 PM

Nice find! Out of curiosity what does your 84 T/A look like? I used to have a red one with a grey interior and t-tops. Wish I didn't sell that one it was mint.
Old September 6th, 2015, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by don71
I feel your need for a manual trans too.

That ole car is a friggen time capsule way back machine.

Have you dug around the interior yet? Any old time things stuffed in the seat cushions..er other places? Nice to hear it comes with fender patches. Someone was thinking ahead.
The seats and door / side panels are in my garage now. Haven't found anything other than the extra parts that came with it. One being the steering wheel thermometer from the other thread. Other than that, massive piles of extra chrome, dashes, trannies, etc. Can't tell you how many hood spears he bought. So far, no emblems on the leading end, though. Tail lights? Oh yes, boxes of tail lights.
The fellow was trying to corner the market in 65 Olds parts. Still a few more to pick up.
Piles of 14 x 7 rally wheels. Too bad everyone is going for the larger wheels these days.
Old September 6th, 2015, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Eric Anderson
Nice find! Out of curiosity what does your 84 T/A look like? I used to have a red one with a grey interior and t-tops. Wish I didn't sell that one it was mint.
The 84 TA is quite decent. White with a fawn interior. Came with the original dealer's bill of sale and the build sheets from under the seat. I think the lady paid around $16,000 for it in late 83. Haven't fired it up yet, as the transmission is in reverse. The cable broke, so the shifter just flops to and fro.
Attached Images
1984 Trans Am 001.jpg (247.7 KB, 13 views)
1984 Trans Am 002.jpg (306.1 KB, 12 views)
Old September 6th, 2015, 06:06 AM

Nice! I'd keep the 442 as well.
Old September 6th, 2015, 06:57 AM

That's really nice. That 330 will fire right up. Before I took my 64 apart. I did all the things necessary to start my 330 that was sitting for almost 30 years. Once started the lifters were making noise until they pump up with oil, motor got warmed up and it was quiet as a church mouse.
Attached Images
DSCN1915.JPG (45.8 KB, 8 views)
Old September 6th, 2015, 07:00 AM
Olds Fever

A great find.... True car people dream of finds such as this....
Old September 6th, 2015, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by therobski
That's really nice. That 330 will fire right up. Before I took my 64 apart. I did all the things necessary to start my 330 that was sitting for almost 30 years. Once started the lifters were making noise until they pump up with oil, motor got warmed up and it was quiet as a church mouse.
That is encouraging. I turned the crank over by hand. Maybe I'll shoot some oil in the cylinders and get it cranking over with a battery before I touch gas to it. The fuel in the tank is rather foul. Suppose I'll have to find a way to drain it.
Old September 6th, 2015, 08:11 AM

fyi

Originally Posted by HonestDave
Just picked this up last week. Was de-chromed for painting 23 years ago, and plans changed. Sat in an underground parking area for all those years not moving. Came with all it's chrome. I'm going to put it all back on and drive it as is. Never been painted, and don't want to wreck it.

My wife says it's boring, and is an old man's car. I told her "guess what....I'm an old man now !"

(That's why I'm trying to sell the 442. Too late in the year, though. Have to e-Bay it in the spring, I suppose)
Why wait until spring in BC? There are plenty of places in the USA that have summer & long warm fall left. I just sold my 73 Firebird on eBay & the USA dollar is worth $1.30. You will be surprised by the interest in USA buyers if you have a fairly priced car.

If you are ever going to paint the car do it now. The trim is already all off. Drop the bumpers and paint it then put the trim on & enjoy the car.
Old September 6th, 2015, 08:22 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Damned nice car. Good luck with it!

- Eric
Old September 6th, 2015, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
Why wait until spring in BC? There are plenty of places in the USA that have summer & long warm fall left. I just sold my 73 Firebird on eBay & the USA dollar is worth $1.30. You will be surprised by the interest in USA buyers if you have a fairly priced car.

If you are ever going to paint the car do it now. The trim is already all off. Drop the bumpers and paint it then put the trim on & enjoy the car.
I'll take all this into consideration. It hadn't occurred to me that there are warm areas in the USA right now. Perhaps I'll phone e-Bay and find out how to sell the car when I return from the island. Might be better than putting it in storage. Just don't want to misrepresent the car and end up with no car and no cash.

As for the Cutlass, I can't imagine ever painting it. I already have numerous cars that have been repainted. I like this one because it's still original. Like to keep it that way, and keep it dry.
Old September 6th, 2015, 09:28 PM
I'm indecisive. Or am I..

Dave!
Didja buy that locally or elsewhere? I typically see any 64/65 stuff happenin' in the neighbohood. That one is super clean.
Old September 7th, 2015, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Napoleon Solo
Dave!
Didja buy that locally or elsewhere? I typically see any 64/65 stuff happenin' in the neighbohood. That one is super clean.
It was local, but not advertised. The fellow and I were trying to arrange a sale about fifteen years ago, or more, but it drifted away. We re-connected and somehow it came together.
Old September 7th, 2015, 05:06 AM
car nut farmer

Nice find. Dash looks to be perfect.
Old September 7th, 2015, 07:35 AM

Nice score! Years of tinkering enjoyment to follow