How do I change fuel filter on 97 cutlass?

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2008, 09:37 AM

How do I change fuel filter on 97 cutlass?

I was told I need to replace my fuel filter on my car that it was "about to rust off".

I want to change the filter but not exactly sure how to do it. I was reading on one of the boxes, it stated that sometimes it will need to be pressurized. Is this true? or can I just take the old one off put the new one on and I am good to go?

ANy help here would be awesome.

thanks
Old May 27th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Old(s) Fart

The first problem is that EFI cars like your 97 have about 45 psi in the fuel system. You need to depressurize this before attempting to remove the filter. The next problem is that you need to find the filter, which is likely under the car someplace, probably near the gas tank. Finally, you need to find out if this filter uses regular flare nuts or GM's quick connect fittings. If the latter, you will need the special disconnect tool.
Old May 27th, 2008, 05:20 PM

A better answer

Your fuel filter, with it being a "corporate" GM vehicle is located underneath the car between the driver side passenger and driver side door. It is attached to a metal harness, and has 2 wires attached to it these are you gas lines. Cut the car off, and use needle nose plyers to "carefully" detach both gas line wires and there you go the unloosen the harness and it should free it up. Reverse the same instructions to put a new one on. Or you could go to Jiffy Lube and have them do it, they usually charge you like 20 bucks though.
Old May 27th, 2008, 07:03 PM
Old(s) Fart

DO NOT attempt to disconnect the lines to the filter without first depressurizing the fuel system. A fellow here in the DC area recently set himself on fire when fuel sprayed out while changing the under-car fuel filter and ignited on his drop light. This is serious.

Also, keep a metal drain pan under the filter when you disconnect it. Both my late-model vehicles (93 Caddy and 99 Chevy truck) continue to siphon fuel out of the tank when the line is disconnected from the filter.
Old May 28th, 2008, 03:16 PM

There should be a Schrader valve on the fuel rail near the intake manifold where you can depressurize the fuel system. It looks exactly like the valve used on tires. After turning off the car and disconnecting the battery you should be able to remove the Schrader valve cap and depress the core to release any pressure into a shop rag. At least, that is the way I always did it.

Make sure you wear safety goggles.