Fuel line access,Is there is an inline fuel filter on the 66

Search this Thread

Old February 8th, 2014, 04:23 PM

Fuel line access,Is there is an inline fuel filter on the 66

I have a fuel line leaking like a sib. it appears to be on the right side body/frame but I cant spot the fuel line. How is the fuel line accessed to be repaired or replaced. Also, Is there is an inline fuel filter on the 66 Olds Toronado. Newbie looking for answers for my newest addition to my collection. Thanks in advance. PIC's are always helpful
Old February 8th, 2014, 04:47 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by DanOldsMan
I have a fuel line leaking like a sib. it appears to be on the right side body/frame but I cant spot the fuel line. How is the fuel line accessed to be repaired or replaced. Also, Is there is an inline fuel filter on the 66 Olds Toronado. Newbie looking for answers for my newest addition to my collection. Thanks in advance. PIC's are always helpful
The fuel filter is built into the carb. Note where the fuel line enters the carb. It connects to a cylindrical housing with a hex on it. Remove the fuel line from the housing, remove the housing from the carb, and the filter will be inside. Be VERY careful removing and reinstalling this housing, as it is very easy to strip the threads in the pot metal carb body, at which point you'll be sending it out for a helicoil.

The fuel line unfortunately goes on the frame before the body is installed. Access is difficult at best with the car assembled. You'll need to feel along the line and slowly remove the bolts on the clamps that hold the line to the frame. I'm not that familiar with Toros, but I suspect that there's a portion of the line that runs inside the frame rail also.

By the way, I believe the term you are looking for is "leaking like a sieve", which is another word for a strainer.
Old February 8th, 2014, 05:11 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I believe the term you are looking for is "leaking like a sieve", which is another word for a strainer.
Yeah - had me thinking or that picture of my little brother with crayons in his hand, a big smile and an even bigger wet spot in the middle of his pants.

- Eric
Old February 9th, 2014, 07:11 PM

yeah I meant sieve, thanks for the replies folks, looks like I need to drop the tank. ughh!
Old February 10th, 2014, 07:18 AM
Administrator

Look at the rubber lines between the tank and hard line. There is also a rubber line feeding the fuel pump.