The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old April 6th, 2019, 12:16 AM

Huomenta.

So i think im getting old. 7 beers yesterday and horrible hang-over at Morning. Long gone are they days of drinking 24-pack and some booze to top of that, and next day same again
Some house-fixing today at plan, and visiting public play-park with a kid, they opened it after winter.

About that A/C. It would most likely need a refill. And we dont have that old R12 ANYWHERE available, which leads for replacing various parts. That with the fact i dont use AC ever because i get for some reason horrible headache from them, always, and no, they arent on too cold to cause it. So i just been thinking i might aswell remove the system to clean engine bay.
One other thing to change; battery cables. And theres really good reason. Trying to get side-post battery here is like trying to find hen's teeth. And if you happen to find one, it costs arm and leg. So converting to top-post battery is mandatory.

Hmm. I quess i should move outside to get some fresh air. Have a great day everyone.
Old April 6th, 2019, 02:12 AM
Running On Empty

The weather has been really nice lately & I've been driving the 71 CS Convertible back/forth to play golf a lot. The carburetor hasn't been cleaned since I purchased the vehicle last July & I know it needs a good cleaning. I already have the rebuild kit w/ new float, AP, etc. I thought I might put an electric choke (which I did purchase) on the carburetor but I've decided not to and assemble it as per OEM specifications. Residing in NC there isn't a big need for a choke. I've been running it w/o the stove pipe/manifold intake/carburetor assembly the past several weeks because when I replaced the intake manifold gasket I knew I was going to rebuild the carburetor and elected not to install the new stove pipe tubing until I rebuilt the carburetor. I purchased new stove pipe tubing already. I know the stove pipe never worked in the vehicle because it was busted and laying on top of the intake manifold when I bought the vehicle. I already made new bushings for the accelerator cable/carburetor linkage and the carburetor primary & secondary linkage bushings look very good - so, this should be nothing more than a meticulous time-consuming clean & rebuild. Off to the man-cave (operating room) for the R&R.
Old April 6th, 2019, 01:01 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Saturday - blah. Cool, overcast, drizzle...

Dan - That's $C though. We get hit with tariffs, duties and import fees on cars built in the USA so a $40k car here is likely a $28K car there. Sucks to be us and of course GM in their infinite wisdom is shutting down its last Canadian plant in Oshawa their largest and oldest production plant. Now Everything GM here will be made either in USA, Mexico or China. That's a good reason to look at imports since everything now will be imported. I do like the looks and features of the new 2019 Santa Fe. Might wait a bit to see how it turns out. It's being tested on Motorweek TV and so far the impression it gives is very positive.

Norm - Have fun with the carb rebuild. If you follow the CSM or Rochester Carb books it's not that bad. I gather your car is also missing the heat pipe that goes from the exhaust manifold to the bottom of the snorkel?

Hmmm, me wonders why when Jim heads norte he posts on FB but not here. Strange. Must be selective internet in de hills.

Canada wins the semi final against Scotland - what a great game! USA (John Shyster) lost to Japan this morning so now it's round 2 of the semi finals at 2:00 pm
Canada vs Swisherland - winner takes on the winner of Sweden (Niklas Edin) vs Japan (Yuta Matsumura). Loser of that game drops to bronze medal game. IMHO I think the 1-2 game will end up being Canada vs Sweden ( a somewhat traditional rivalry) and the bronze will be Swisherland (Peter de Cruz) vs Nippon. I'll find out soon enough as the second qualifier (1/4 final) starts right away. See ya later.
Old April 6th, 2019, 01:41 PM
Running On Empty

Allan- Heat pipe &new gasket already replaced when I did the R&R on the intake manifold gasket.
Old April 6th, 2019, 02:21 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Norm, that's the choke heat tubes; not what I was referring to. I was asking about the one that connects the air cleaner snorkel (and heat control valve in the snorkel) to the exhaust manifold. You can see it clearly on Page 6N-6 of the CSN (of course my CSM is 72, but should be close in your 71 CSM). Under heading of CCS - Controlled combustion system. It's called a 'hot air pipe'. Only difference between 71 and 72 is 72 uses a cotter pin to hold the hot air pipe on the manifold shroud, whereas 71 uses a small screw.
Old April 6th, 2019, 02:41 PM
Running On Empty

Oh yeah - I got that.
Old April 6th, 2019, 03:01 PM
Running On Empty

Pages 6N-1 - 6N-3, Figs. 6N-1, 6N-2, 6N-3 & 6N-4 for me Mister! Mine is in capital letters though - HOT AIR PIPE.
Old April 6th, 2019, 03:08 PM
Running On Empty

I did the carburetor disassembly before I headed out to play 18 @ 10:30am. I won't spend anymore time on it today. I have to have something to do tomorrow morning before playing another 18 @ 10:30am tomorrow.
Old April 6th, 2019, 03:27 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Allan R
Only difference between 71 and 72 is 72 uses a cotter pin to hold the hot air pipe on the manifold shroud, whereas 71 uses a small screw.
I've experienced dé·jà vu a couple times working on this vehicle after I first bought it and the first time I removed the air cleaner. I owned a 67' 442 & a 72' 442 but those were both ~49 & ~ 44 years ago respectively. When I examined the hot air pipe hanging from the air cleaner snorkel I thought it was supposed to have a cotter pin - my mind still had this recollection of years past - but, you're right this 71' has a screw. I initially thought a PO might have put it in there. The carburetor, thus far, looks in pretty good shape - I'm sure I'll find a couple things which might annoy me or need further attention but it's easy having taken these down to their bones in (many) years past. I noticed after I bought it & while changing the manifold and 'stuff', the carb had been worked by someone since the fuel intake port has a helicoil insert. That's no biggie, those things get stripped and it's no biggie to bore them out and insert a helicoil. As long as it doesn't leak you move on and conquer bigger fish if you find any.
Old April 6th, 2019, 04:06 PM
golden rocket

All the brake parts came in from RockAuto today, so next week, depending on the weather, will go thru the brake system. power booster and master cylinder are O.K., so just strip it all down and clean and have fresh brakes all around (drums). So far have re-done A/C system (at wifes insistence) replaced the carb due to leaking stress cracks in the base, planed the exhaust manifolds due to warpage, drained and cleaned the fuel tank, blew out fuel lines, installed new fuel tank sending unit.
And a whole lot of overall general cleaning inside and out. (goodbye dead mice!)
makes me tired just reading about all I've done., but it has been fun, and I really enjoy driving it as much as possible.

Have a good weekend

mike
Old April 6th, 2019, 04:31 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by golden rocket
All the brake parts came in from RockAuto today, so next week, depending on the weather, will go thru the brake system. power booster and master cylinder are O.K., so just strip it all down and clean and have fresh brakes all around (drums). So far have re-done A/C system (at wifes insistence) replaced the carb due to leaking stress cracks in the base, planed the exhaust manifolds due to warpage, drained and cleaned the fuel tank, blew out fuel lines, installed new fuel tank sending unit.
And a whole lot of overall general cleaning inside and out. (goodbye dead mice!)
makes me tired just reading about all I've done., but it has been fun, and I really enjoy driving it as much as possible.

Have a good weekend

mike

Mike - Nice work.
I did an R&R on my AC evap core (and the other **** which goes along w/ it - compressor, valves, drier, etc.). Frigg'n thing blows ice cubes out the vents now.
Lot of Okies (Boomer Sooners) on CO. I was a Sooner (Norman, OK) for five years (1984-1988). For those five years friends/folks called me Norman from Norman.
Old April 6th, 2019, 07:57 PM

Allan, that makes more sense cost wise. My '71 Supreme had the screw, it always seemed to be loose, and every time that I opened the hood, I checked to make sure that it was still there. Most of the cars that I drove in drivers ed. were 1972 GM cars with the exception of the piece of crap Plymouth Satellite. The GM cars had that damn cold a/c, which sucked because the instructor made us drive with our hands at 10 & 2, and that's where the a/c vents were aimed. We were not allowed to touch them. It was a wonder that we didn't get frostbite.
Old April 6th, 2019, 10:29 PM
golden rocket

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Mike - Nice work.
I did an R&R on my AC evap core (and the other **** which goes along w/ it - compressor, valves, drier, etc.). Frigg'n thing blows ice cubes out the vents now.
Lot of Okies (Boomer Sooners) on CO. I was a Sooner (Norman, OK) for five years (1984-1988). For those five years friends/folks called me Norman from Norman.
Norm, guess that makes you an honorary Okie. BTW, Okie was a negative term given to Oklahomans who went to California during the dust bowl years back in the 1930s. They were so desperate for work would work for almost nothing to take care of their families. That sure ticked off the natives in Cali.
Did you have R12 for your A/C or go with 134-A to shoot ice cubes? my better half thinks it is not cold enough. did have to get the POA valve converted, too.
Old April 7th, 2019, 07:17 AM

Hey Norm, I changed my 71 Cutlass over to R134A and it's OK. It's not as ICE cold as the old R12 systems as I remember but seems acceptable. I am happy with it. My system was empty and open for many years so I went thru it all and replaced most of it with new. My wife also insisted we fix the a/c before we went to a Olds Nationals in Springfield a few years ago.
Things are starting to feel like spring around here today. The ice on the lake is starting to open up. Hooray!! The Furd truck I bought is OK. I changed the VVT actuators and that solved the open wiring codes, (after reconnecting the wires) Then I got a code stating the drivers side converter was inop. I found a trick on the net about extending out the O2 sensor out a inch, so I did that and no more codes so far. So now I have to replace the drivers side catalytic converter which will be a huge hassle with broken off studs and big$$ for a converter. But I of course will do it ASAP to do my civic duty to maintain emissions in compliance!! Oh yeah I will!! yep... Have a good one all, Greg.
Old April 7th, 2019, 10:58 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Sunday Sunday - gonna be a really nice day here getting up to around 58°. Might have to break out the shorts and go for a walk...

Well bringing y'all up to speed on the final weekend of World Men's Curling Championship being held in Lethbridge. BTW, Lethbridge has several claims to fame. One is their wind gage, and the other is the Railway bridge that spans the Old Man River. The bridge was built in 1906 and is a little over a mile long. Still in use today.

Sweden beats Japan and goes directly to the 1-2 game
Canada beats Swisherland and goes to the 1-2 game against Sweden. Either way, both of these teams deserve top honors but honestly Sweden played much better overall and deserves Gold. IF Canada brings it's A game like it did last night it could be a nail biter.
Japan and Swisherland duke it out this afternoon for the Bronze medal. I'm going with Swisherland.

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
My '71 Supreme had the screw, it always seemed to be loose.
Man, you just make it sooo easy but I'll refrain.... Naw, gotta go there. Something about never mind the loose screw, concentrate on the nut behind the wheel Although the explanation of the cost on that car makes more sense when clarified it still sucks especially since parts for the car are also manufactured in Canada and shipped to the USA for final production. So we pay a tariff going to the USA and also coming back. What's wrong with this picture...or better yet, What's right with this picture?

Greg - Sounds like you're sleuthing out some real solutions for the Furd. IIRC the boneyards won't have any CC's because they strip them out before putting cars up on blocks. They contain too much valuable materials...I looked at Rock Auto and one for your application looks pretty affordable ($162) Is it this one?

Jouni - I get it. My 72 doesn't have AC either. Never came with it from the factory but honestly I wonder why not because the car was destined from Lansing to the Toronto (Barrie) area which is known for high temps and humidity. I'd bet that car spent most of it's time during the spring, summer and fall with the windows down. It has a black naugahyde split bench seat and interior. Very comfortable but very hot in the summer.

Mike - That price drop was enough to make me think seriously about it. Then I came to my senses. Everything on that car, and I mean everything is computer driven and I have no way of working or understanding those silly things. I agree with you 100% that the price drop is something that makes a guy scratch his head and wonder exactly what you said. On the other side of the coin and i kid you not, I've seen 2009 cars listed on a dealer site as NEW with almost 0 miles still being listed for full retail. That also makes me scratch my head and wonder where the next contestant to the PT Barnum school of entertainment will show up and claim them. BTW, is the bedroom painting a continual work in progress with no end date in sight? Not that I'm a huge fan of painting either but it sure is nice when it's done and over.

Wonder where Clint and London are hiding out? I see Clint is active on FB
Old April 7th, 2019, 11:10 AM

Evening everybody.

Pretty nice day out again. Now it promises the weather might backfire with snow Dont sound too good!
Hmm, i sanded down a bit my oil-fill tube. My original oil-fill tube got destroyed when i tried to take it off, but thankfully i got the one from my spare-block in one piece; and its tight.
"Stupidity" at its best; i filled with 2-part metal epoxy few Small dents i made to tube when removing it, and tomorrow ill sand them down. Couldnt stand those nicks on oil-fill tube

Not much else.

Allan R - Wow, does that work for real? Must be something else than iron? Or atleast it cant be completetely iron?

1969w3155 - What was wrong on the Plymouth?

Have a day all.
Old April 7th, 2019, 11:12 AM

Jouni, Jes don't stop. Stopping causes hangovers
'
Nice werk Mike, I wish you come down ere and take my (&^)P)(*)_) brother in laws 53 GMC truck out of here and de mouse it. I 've told him a 100 times to get it out of my garage and he jes wont come get it.

Allan, I quit hauling my lap to[p norte so don't post here o my phone. Beside y'all probaly need a barke from my pearls of wisodn
Old April 7th, 2019, 11:50 AM
Just an Olds Guy

City Gubment at its finest. Truth in advertising...

Old April 7th, 2019, 01:28 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by golden rocket
Did you have R12 for your A/C or go with 134-A to shoot ice cubes? Did have to get the POA valve converted, too.
Hey Mike. The car had already been converted from R12>134-A when I purchased it last July; except, the AC was not working. After an examination underneath, I found coolant leaking all over from under the evaporator core. I wasn't certain about the condition/state of the compressor but since I had to replace the evaporator core & I didn't feel much like putting it all back together then finding out the compressor &/or clutch was shot, I elected to replace the compressor for peace of mind (along w/ a new drier). Once back together, it still was not blowing cold air. I removed the POA valve, soaked it and worked on it for a couple days & it was DOA. It was what looked to me to be the original OEM POA valve (I don't know for sure); but, the bugger was not working. I believe you're supposed to replace an R12 POA w/ an R134-A POA when you do the conversion from R12-R134-A - but, I don't know this for sure. All I knew at that point was the currently installed POA valve was not working (after it was all put back together). The POA valve I installed was Part No. 50-2551A from Old Air Products. The expansion valve appeared to be in good condition so it was not changed. I did a complete re-wrap of the entire length of the expansion valve tubing & the sensor bulb with new tacky tape; and, I mean I sealed every single orifice around the evaporator core box, and did some serious re-wrapping of tacky tape along the entire length of the expansion valve tubing & sensor bulb. I was and I am blown away at how cold the air is from the AC - it's ice-cold.
Old April 7th, 2019, 01:35 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
Hey Norm, I changed my 71 Cutlass over to R134A and it's OK. It's not as ICE cold as the old R12 systems as I remember but seems acceptable. I am happy with it. My system was empty and open for many years so I went thru it all and replaced most of it with new. My wife also insisted we fix the a/c before we went to a Olds Nationals in Springfield a few years ago.
Greg, I had a 67' 442 & a 72' 442 some 45-49 years ago and each of them did not have AC. I know I've had other cars in the past which had R12, but I always took it to a service station or dealer for them to service the system. I never converted one myself and I attempted to charge an R12 system myself once many, many years ago (thinking this can't be so bad). That DID NOT go well at all. In fact, as I recall, I believe I ruined the AC in that vehicle.
Old April 7th, 2019, 07:41 PM

Don't worry Allan, the nut behind the wheel is secure with his seat belt. Jouni, it was a cheaply built car compared to the GM cars that we had, a real tinny feel to it. I was driving and merging onto the highway, trying to merge at the 70 mph speed limit and was only hitting 35mph. The instructor said " get moving!", I said "I have it to the floor!". A messed up distributor on a brand new car. We had to drive on the shoulder with the flashers on, to get it back to the training area.
Old April 8th, 2019, 03:31 AM

Heading out to smack whitey before the skies open up

Have a great day Olds friends
Old April 8th, 2019, 05:14 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Heading out to smack whitey before the skies open up
Doing the same @ 11AM before the skies open up over here, as well.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; April 8th, 2019 at 01:24 PM.
Old April 8th, 2019, 10:54 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good Monday mawnin

The day after and Canada is in mourning. hahahahaha, not me. Kevin Koe pulled a Charlie Brown yesterday at the WMCC and now Niklas Edin is the World Champion. I'm stoked and very pleased for him. With his win he ties the all time world record held by Ernie Richardson (Canada) for the most WMCC titles (4). He's young enough and talented if his health holds out. And with that said, I also congratulate Team Koe on finishing with a Silver medal when it looked like they were heading for disaster in the round robin. Now there's just 2 more championships to be played and they are both GSOC events. Coverage by Sportsnet sucks though and although those competitions start on a Tues, coverage doesn't start till Thursday and it's limited.

Jim - Give whitey a lesson. I figger somewhere around 45/42. BTW did you see that a Canuck (Corey Connors) won the TX Valero event and qualified for the Masters? I taught him everything I know.. ..and still he manages to win.

Dan - just teasing ya. I knew what you meant. I think that's the reason that in 72 they went to having a cotter pin hold the heat pipe.

The guy from polar windows was just here and will send a quote this afternoon. His thoughts on the windows were more in line with mine so I'll have to see what he comes in with on the total. The Home show we went to offered us (in writing) a 35% discount. That's on everything, not just material. Somehow though I'm sure the quote will be somewhat higher than AWW who was here last week. Polar says they need an 8 week lead time. I also know that right now the industry here is hurting due to lack of new home construction. Renovations seem to be their big market holding them above water.

Going up to a whopping 15° today!! Woohoo!!!
Old April 8th, 2019, 11:08 AM

What kilt Jessie James both sides.

Allan, Yes I did, smart fella, Gave up hockey to play golf.Makes more money and get's ta keep all his teeth
Old April 8th, 2019, 01:24 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by vintage chief
doing the same @ 11am before the skies open up over here, as well.
golf sucks!
Old April 8th, 2019, 01:51 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Got back a little bit ago. Had a nice weekend with my Mom. Saw my sister and my niece as well. Finished painting in the bathroom and scoped out the back yard for some projects. That place isn't going to be easy.

Rain off and on from the panhandle to here. We had rain last night at Mom's with thunder and lightning and I didn't hear any of it. Tiger didn't, either. That still amazes me.

Gonna get everything in and put away and then do some catching up. Need to hit the sack early because 1)I'm tired and 2)early start for work in the morning.

Hope everyone had a good weekend. See ya's.
Old April 8th, 2019, 02:11 PM

golf sucks!
Musta had the S word [ shanks]
Old April 8th, 2019, 02:17 PM

golf sucks!
Old April 8th, 2019, 02:32 PM
Running On Empty

No, I didn't have the 'S' word. What I did not have was any form of gray matter between my ears!
Old April 8th, 2019, 03:11 PM

Well, As Bobby Jones once said, it's a game of 6 " between your ears

The good new is it's still a little early for the snakes to be out
Old April 8th, 2019, 10:03 PM

We have an interesting bit of weather coming up starting Thursday. Heavy rain, followed by 5" of snow, capped off by more rain. I won't even bother with the snow blower, if we get any snow it will be too heavy for the blower to get it through the augers. I will count on the second round of rain to melt the snow. And it was 65° yesterday, jeesh.
Old April 9th, 2019, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
We have an interesting bit of weather coming up starting Thursday. Heavy rain, followed by 5" of snow, capped off by more rain. I won't even bother with the snow blower, if we get any snow it will be too heavy for the blower to get it through the augers. I will count on the second round of rain to melt the snow. And it was 65° yesterday, jeesh.
That's Michigan for ya...
Old April 9th, 2019, 05:48 AM

Afternoon.

Nothing happened, so didnt bother to write yesterday. Well, nothing have happened either today, but..
Been fastening screws on furnitures, talk about being bored

1969w3155 - Tell me about it, heavy snowing yesterday 100km north from me, and tomorrow early Morning snowed even there. Now its raining that wet, white snow-like crap from skies….

Allan R - What are you going to do after those two events? How to manage to next fall?

Okay, have a day all. I might aswell go light my sauna once again, kill time, and head to bed.....
Old April 9th, 2019, 06:18 AM

Can't figure out of it's gonna storm or not

This business is about to drive me crazy. People NEVER plan until the last possible second. Then they get in a hiurry

PPPPPP [jouni] That's an old military expression Prior planning prevents pi$$ poor performance

end of rant

Have a great day Olds friends
Old April 9th, 2019, 12:04 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Nice day out, no rain so far and it's a nice temp out. The sun is trying to come out but so far hasn't succeeded.

Good day back at work. Lots of wheels coming through, and if it's any indication of the summer schedule, we're going to be very busy this summer. That's okay. That means lots of overtime.

Allan is that a for real sign in front of your fair town, or a photo shop special? The painting in general is an ongoing thing. Both bathrooms are painted, the master bedroom is painted, next up is the guest bedroom. That will be in the fall, as I'm going to do some yardwork over the summer.

Jamesbo I'll come get the bro-in-law's truck...

Got a couple errands to do, then hit the sack early. I missed out on overtime today, because I didn't get to sleep until after midnight, and I would have had to get up at 2. Still, getting up at 4 was no picnic.
Old April 9th, 2019, 01:13 PM

Old April 9th, 2019, 10:16 PM

Greg, it appears that they have toned down the snow amounts considerably. More rain between now and Sunday, not much more than perhaps an inch of the white stuff. Jamesbo, that's still a funny movie. Saw it last summer for the first time in years, still great.
Old April 10th, 2019, 05:44 AM

Blue bird day

Bitch de jour

This ^))(**(_)(*)_+(%&($ moron has rescheduled his mother's funeral 3 times. When we set a date/time, I mark the grave and text my opening and closing company that put it on their calendar and their work schedule. This morning, I get a text from the guy asking if we can reschedule til further notice, So I jump on the phone and call my digging company [who of course, already has their crew and trucks ready to come.

This guy is becoming a big PITA

I May have him show up and them not be here

End of rant
Old April 10th, 2019, 10:29 AM
Running On Empty

Blue bird day

Bitch de jour

This ^))(**(_)(*)_+(%&($ moron has rescheduled his mother's funeral 3 times. When we set a date/time, I mark the grave and text my opening and closing company that put it on their calendar and their work schedule. This morning, I get a text from the guy asking if we can reschedule til further notice, So I jump on the phone and call my digging company [who of course, already has their crew and trucks ready to come.

This guy is becoming a big PITA

I May have him show up and them not be here

End of rant
The next time he calls/texts you tell him she is now toast sitting on your desk.