The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old April 17th, 2018, 06:22 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Just got in from shoveling 3" of heavy wet snow. I don't enjoy it much as I get to the more senior years of my life. It was too early to fire up the snowblower and wake up all the neighbors though. Next time I might not be so forgiving.

Dan, I almost peed when I saw that. Is it a JD? Colors look right.

Jim - have ya thought about liming the lawn to get rid of the clover and weeds? I'm not worried about yer mower if you aren't

Mike - Now that you have the truck back what would you use it for? I imagine being military vehicles it requires a bit more maintenance than a regular old truck? If you had to do an oil change how many gallons of oil would it hold? I've heard those deuces running and IMO they sound pretty cool especially when the turbo kicks in which seems to be a lot.

Glenn - I kept the same medical/dental plan I had when I was working. It was better for me because the cost was the same as a new one and it covered me for pre-existing meds and conditions. I lose that though when I turn 65.

Hopefully everyone has a good day and the weather cooperates with ya. LOL I saw a FB post that sums up the weather here perfectly. It's not April 17, it's January 97th.
Old April 17th, 2018, 07:58 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Mornin Everybody:

I have to say, the snowman with the lawnmower is too funny.
Jim, I have an old 77 vintage Sears GT-18 garden tractor I use to mow with down by the lake. It had an 18 horse Onan engine on it that I rebuilt once and then it threw a rod. I replaced it with an 18 horse Vanguard twin V engine. What a great engine. This thing is actually a tractor that you could get all kind of implements for back in the day. It is not fancy but it is tough.
Allan, my wife has a real fear of dentists. I have been after her for about 2 years to get all this dental work done. I finally convinced her after I started paying Cobra for the dental insurance and the flex spending account. She had the first phase of two root canals yesterday. She did well and is having no pain. She is in the process of having two root canals and four crowns.
It is another nice looking day here but the wind is blowing like crazy. Hope everybody has a good day.
Old April 17th, 2018, 09:10 AM

Allan, The only thing I use lime for is to get rid of broom sage. It's gone. Clover is good for you grass, I used to plant it [Well sort of] Clover seeds look like gold dust. My vet told me the best way to get it established is FEED it to your cows. Come out in a nice moist fertilized area
Old April 17th, 2018, 09:10 AM

Evening.

Work has kicked in messier than ever before next season start

Work-home-eat dinner-sleep-work... Just as i like it

Have a day all, will catch you all later. Now sauna and then to sleep.
Old April 17th, 2018, 01:49 PM

Allan, I'm not sure if that is a JD or not, it's a pic that I swiped from elsewhere. I used my snowblower yesterday, though I thought that crap might be too wet & heavy, and clog the chute, but it did good, and as it was 4pm I had no neighbors to wake.
Old April 17th, 2018, 04:07 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Beautiful out. Warmish. Hope it keeps up.

Well we'll see just what it costs to be a dumbass. For whatever reason I wait until the very last minute to figure my taxes, and send them in on the last day. I sent in the Federal ones last week, and I had planned on sending in the State ones yesterday, but forgot. I said, no problem, I'll mail them when I go to the eye doctor. Well, I took a different car and the taxes are in the other car. I'll mail them on the way to work. I'm getting like a thousand bucks back, but I'm sure the state of Georgia will make me pay a big fine anyway for being a day late. Ah well, if that's the worst that happens living here(it ain't)...

My back yard is getting out of control. I still don't have a mower, and the weather has been perfect for grass/weeds to grow exceptionally well. It doesn't bother me that much but snakes have a habit of hiding in tall grass and I don't want Tiger to encounter one and think it's that day's play thing.

Allan I don't really have any real use for that truck. I just bought it because I wanted one, and decided if I was going to do it I'd better, because they were out of the inventory and prices were going up. It will be good for pulling up tree stumps and also if I take the cover off the back I can use the bed as scaffolding.

Okay Night 1 is upon us. Hope everyone has a good night.
Old April 17th, 2018, 04:29 PM

Puxatawny Phil, King of the Groundhogs, was found dead of a self inflicted gunshot wound after predicting an early spring.

Last edited by 1969w3155; April 17th, 2018 at 04:31 PM.
Old April 18th, 2018, 04:02 AM

Mawn'in

Blue bird day

Perfect for weed whacking, Mike come on up and practice on my place so you'll have it down when ya wanta weed whack yours

Good for Phil, I hate those SOB's "Whistle Pigs"

Is that a 6" Colt 357 Python he used? I had one but ti got stolen outa my truck years ago.

Where's Clint?

Daylights burning

Have a Great day Olds friends
Old April 18th, 2018, 05:50 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Dan - Good one! Weather rodents are highly over rated.

Jim - Have at it. We won't see grass here for at least a few more days till after the melting commences. On the + side, we don't have any flies or mosquitoes buzzing around.

Not much else is new except pollytics and economy which we aren't spoda talk about here.
Old April 18th, 2018, 02:54 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Perfect for weed whacking.....
You bin tokkin to my Mrs?? We just got back from shopping and she's going through the junk mail, and comes over to ask if my weed whacker is still working.... Here I thought she meant something else , but then she shows me the flyer from the auto store down the road advertising them for 50% off. Electric. NOPE , I like my gas powered machines.
Old April 18th, 2018, 03:58 PM

Weather may finally change for the better, 50's Friday through the weekend, low 60's early next week. Been piddeling around with my camera, and 600mm isn't enough, so I looked at Tamron teleconverters 1.4x & 2.0x to increase my zoom up to 840mm to 1200mm, but Tamron dosen't make them for Sony. Dammit! Sony has them for a hundred bucks more, so I will have to contact them to see if I can use one with the Tamron lens.
Old April 18th, 2018, 04:05 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Beautiful out. The weatherman said 80 today but I think it's a little higher. Nice breeze.

Work was good. Two down. Next week is only three because I took a day for my physical. I don't know why but I always feel worked over when I get one.

Have you ever had plans to do something that you figured you'd never do, but planned to anyway? I think I'm one of the last holdouts for sleeping on a waterbed. Well, tonight Tiger got all riled up and ran in and jumped on the bed doing about 90. The 39 year old pressboard that's been holding the bed up let go and half the bed hit the floor. Now, it's only about 6 inches, but the cord for the heater is all askew and I'm not sure it isn't pulled out, and I can't sleep on an angle. So my plans for never working on my bed have now come to the forefront. And of course the MAWs. Move the random boxes out of the room finally. Clean the carpet. Paint. Sheesh, Tiger has no idea what he's just done. So I'll be sleeping on the couch until I'm done.

Okay off to it. Have a good Humpity everyone.
Old April 19th, 2018, 04:22 AM

Mike, your story brought up a mental image, no more of a mental video of Tiger jumping on that bed!! HA ! Gotta love 'em. My old boy, Jack is sort of in Dog Hospice. He's hanging in and seems to still enjoy life. He has that spinal problem and has lost a lot of movement, Ok Enough of that. Hey I'm really pumped up today, my 56 F100 moved for the first time under it's own power in I'm guessing 30 yrs. I know this is a Olds site but can I put a pic of it here?
Old April 19th, 2018, 04:42 AM

Mawn'in

Beautimus day

Allan, You'd be proud of me I weed whack beyond my 2 tanks fill up and did a whole 4 tanks

Mike, I've been planning to go to Key West every January for 20 years and never made it

New bearing in mower, Now it's time to cut around where I weed whacked

But 1st I gotta go to town and have lunch with my 1st cousin [reallly more like a brother]

Have a great day Olds friends
Old April 19th, 2018, 10:07 AM

Evening.
Thursday it is. And soon was. Friday ahead, repair-day ahead.
Well, weve been busy, but today was lousy due to few set-backs.
So we quitted pretty early.
Damn i love my machine- they repaired it thruoughtly during winter- its beatimus now.
No matter how much i pedal it, it just howls and goes
Nothing like the sound of 369cui turbodiesel with big-*** turbo, and 6,5-feet long 5" straight stainless-steel exhaust under heavy stress
Boy you should hear it

Last edited by Inline; April 19th, 2018 at 10:10 AM.
Old April 19th, 2018, 10:56 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Thursday it is campers.

Looks like everything is looking up for most of ya. Too bad about the bed Mike. I didn't know that water beds were still even sold. I had to google that and was surprised. Hey if it gives you a better sleep, even better.

Today should be a bluebird day but only highs around 50° or so. Snow is melting so who knows what's in store. Friends on the coast say Hummingbirds are back but I think they'd be frozen here as we still get overnight lows below 32°.

Jouni - you sound like you're having an affair with a machine.... Don't let your missus find out.
Old April 19th, 2018, 12:29 PM

I know this is a Olds site but can I put a pic of it here?
well Greg, I guess as long as you send me a small admission fee.
Old April 19th, 2018, 12:48 PM

Here's you admission fee
Old April 19th, 2018, 01:51 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Well guys it is afternoon. I hope everybody has had a good day so far. I took my wife for her annual mammogram this morning and all was good so it is a good day for us. My wife had breast cancer almost 9 years ago. We were very fortunate that due her being on time with her mammogram they caught it early and they only had to do a lympectomy (spelling?). The big guy upstairs looked over us. In addition we faced several other challenges that year. It took a long time this morning and I was getting concerned when seveal women that went in after her came out. She got really scared when they called her back in for another picture. All was good however.

Greg, a 56 Ford is one of my favorite trucks and yours is a custom cab. Those are just pretty trucks. I love the tractor funnel. Jim I looked a long time before I actually saw there was a waterfall in the picture. Allan, sounds like you are making some progress on the weather.

Hope you guys have a nice remainder of the day.
Old April 19th, 2018, 04:08 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Beautiful. Yes the weather and Jamesbo's waterfall. A bit chilly but that's okay.

So today was Day 1 of couch sleeping. I actually slept pretty good. Tiger laid down beside the couch and didn't bother me till after 1. Got a few things moved out of the bedroom, but I fear with the rate that I do things, I'll be on the couch for months.

Greg that's a nice looking truck. I like the old style trucks, they have character. I wouldn't mind having a 40s Chevy truck. Hug that puppy a lot every day.

Glenn glad everything went well for your wife this morning.

Okay running a tad late, no reason just being slow today. Hope everyone has a good evening. One more to go.
Old April 19th, 2018, 04:36 PM

Son of a....Greg, mark it paid in full, by Mr. Bell no doubt, what a guy! Glenn, good to hear that all was ok with your wife's exam. If anybody has a desire to by a DSLR camera, buy a Nikon or a Canon, much better availability of lenses and accessories.
Old April 19th, 2018, 05:06 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Glenn - That's wonderful that your missus got good news. A breath of fresh air no doubt for her and yourself. Tractor funnel?? Nope, that's the new style breather valve to the crankcase

Mike - There are days like that but I doubt your back will let you sleep on the couch that long. Are you removing trim to paint or just masking it off?

Got up to a walloping 57° here and yup, there's lots of melting going on. If it keeps up like this the yard should be uncovered in about 4-5 days. The ground is definitely thawing because the for sale sign at the crib next door fell over....

Dan - I'm making a special meat lovers pizza for supper. Tons of pepperoni, extra cheese and peppers. Should be ready to come out of the oven shortly. No way in hell I can eat more than 2 slices though. There'll be plenty for the boy to eat when he gets home later.
Old April 20th, 2018, 05:44 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

WTH?? No one here? Starting out to be a beautimus day. The boy is heading out for a 3 day conference in Calgary later today. Hope all goes well and the traffic isn't crazy.

Prolly will fire up the grill later and do some steaks now that they're on sale. Mmm, sizzle.
Old April 20th, 2018, 06:04 AM

Mawn'in

Chili but nice

Allan, I had to go to de stow and load up grub to cook in de hills

Hope ya loaded up that pizza with extra anchovies, Since I got hitched I don't get ta get them on my pizza anymore

Mike, Maybe it's time to get Tiger his own water bed

Jes curious, anyone seen the water fall yet, I've been staring at that pic for years and never seen it

Have a great day Olds friends
Old April 20th, 2018, 06:08 AM
Just an Olds Guy

I swear Jim, you an me is de only ones I know who likes dem anchovies. Funny how peeps don't like em. Dey add a lot of flavor. Hope de fridge in de hills is still werkin
Old April 20th, 2018, 08:47 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Morning to All:

I will tell you guys a funny story about anchovies on pizza. When my wife and I got married almost 52 years ago, I was just a 19 year old kid that was a mixture of hillbilly and redneck living in north Louisiana. I had never eaten an anchovy in my life. My wife and I had a pizza one night with anchovies on it. So a couple weeks later I was going out to get a pizza and bring it back to the apartment. There was no call in or delivery in 1966. So I get the pizza place and order an anchovy pizza. That was likely the only one they ever made. We couldn't quite eat the pizza and probably did not have the money to go get another one.

It is cool here this morning at 50 degrees. I have to finish installing Office 365 on my computer and then hope to get some yard work done. I have spent too much time in my office since I retired. It looks like it is going to rain out my car show tomorrow. That will be the third Saturday in a row I have missed a car show due to weather. The others were too cold. Hope everybody has a good day and a great weekend.
Old April 20th, 2018, 11:47 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Glenn - so what was the problem? They put too many anchovies on the pizza??

I don't like Office 365 so I installed an older version of Home Office that does all the things I want. Then I uninstalled the Office 365 off this puter. No point in keeping programs and applications I won't ever use. I know it will never compromise my computer speed or storage capability but WTH.

50° may be cool for you town in TX but that would be stellar up here. Right now at almost 1:00 pm local it's only 50° and a whopping high forecast of 59°. It's T shirt and shorts weather, and I gotta head out to the corner mailbox shortly. Taking my summer sandals for a test run
Old April 20th, 2018, 03:41 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Ah, Friday. Hasn't been a bad week but there have been some challenges mixed in. Looking forward to seeing my Mom this weekend.

So Day 2 of couch surfing. While the couch is rather comfortable, I'm not quite as enamored with it as I was the first day, so I'm thinking once I get the bed taken apart and out of the way I might go get one of those big air mattresses. I've slept on them before they aren't bad.

Beautiful out. Was cold last night, it's been rather cold for the time of year I'd say. Maybe this will mean that summer won't be as hot. Eh, I don't care about summer, I like hot. Just wish it would get here.

Okay out with Tiger then off to work. Hope everyone has a good weekend.
Old April 20th, 2018, 03:46 PM

That's it Allan rub it in. I think that you should make enough pizza for all of us, do ya need my address? Speaking of grill, time to buy a new one, especially since I went and bought four porterhouse steaks that were on sale @ $4.99lb! I would like a Weber gas grill, but the sons of guns are pricey, so I may buy a Kitchen Aid that I have been looking at, just have to check out Lowes first to see what they have. What's this nonsense about a waterfall? did someone post a pic of one. We are finally getting out of the snow, it was 51° here today and supposed to hit 60° by Sunday, warmer still Monday, when I will be taking a vacation day to drop the Hyundai off @ 8am, then I'm going to piddle around, and take a bike ride to work off about 15-20lbs of excess this year. No anchovies for me.
Old April 20th, 2018, 05:20 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Dan - I'd be delighted to make ya a pizza, or have ya join in when I make the next one. We bought rib eyes today, but paid 5.99/lb but they are such good looking slabs of meat and they're 1 3/4" thick!! I have the grill warming up right now. Gotta get it hot to sear em and seal em, then 7 minutes per side to perfection.

I just keep doing maintenance on the grill and it's in fine shape. Should last another 10 years at this rate. I looked at new ones but YIKES! If you can wait till the end of season that's the time to pick one up at usually huge discounts. I could have got the exact same grill I have now brand new at their end of year clearout for around 200.00

Oh BTW, my wife says the waterfall is there plain as day and anyone who can't see it should get their eyes checked
Old April 20th, 2018, 05:41 PM

Glenn, I have missed every car show this year due to weather! It seems to have finally broken- almost 60 today and so beautiful!
Old April 21st, 2018, 06:11 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Wow! I woke up and it's on the good size of freezing. First time this year so something to celebrate about.

Yesterday I was doing a routine check on the Malibu since the boy was taking it to Calgary for the weekend. Just to make sure the tire pressure was ok I threw a gage on it. WTH?? It was showing 40psi cold. I checked the door pillar and the car is spoda be set for 30 psi cold, so I adjusted the pressure down to 32. How strange that Costco would put such high pressure in a tire. I chatted with a friend who said the same thing happened to him at a Goodyear store. I'm pretty sure the tire is capable of handling the extra pressure, but why would it be so high instead of matching the car manufacturers recommendations?

The Rib Eye last night was fabulous. Might have to grill another one tonight.

Greg - it sounds a lot like you got the same weather there we had here.

Mike - is the air mattress a temporary thing or are you going to use it to replace the water bed?
Old April 21st, 2018, 08:19 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Morning Guys.

It looks like anther Saturday car show is going to bite the dust. The one today is very nearby but there is a big line of thunderstorms west of us moving this way. It hasn't started raining yet. Registration just started but I am going to wait. I don't want to be at a show with the top down and it starts raining.
Dan, I am really big on Weber grills. I have a Genesis one I bought over 20 years ago. I have replaced the flavorizer bars and the grates once in that time. A few years ago the frame rusted out in a couple of places and I went to Home Depot and bought some angle iron and bolted it over the frame and it worked fine. My wife gave me a new grill for Christmas and my retirement. I bought a 4 burner Weber. It was expensive but it will be my last grill. I also bought the iGrill device that has probes you put in your meat. It is blutooth and you download the software onto your iPhone and you can sit in the house and see the internal temp of you meat on your phone. It is probably a little overkill but I love it.
Allan, that is a good buy on the ribeyes. Beef is really high right now. They are way higher than that at Sprouts.
Hope everybody has a good weekend.
Old April 21st, 2018, 09:02 AM

Glenn I was at Wal-Mart and saw those probes, I was thinking "where's the readout at?" A second later I thought "oh". It dawned on me...finally. Speaking of ribeyes (my favorite), I like to buy a thick one, at about one lb. and then cut it in half, wrapping each half with applewood smoked bacon, secured with water soaked toothpicks. YUM. Just don't forget to remove the toothpicks before eating.
Old April 21st, 2018, 09:58 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
..Speaking of ribeyes (my favorite), I like to buy a thick one, at about one lb. and then cut it in half, wrapping each half with applewood smoked bacon, secured with water soaked toothpicks........
What a great idea. The ones I bought are easily a lb each so cutting them in half puts them at a manageable portion for the missus and myself. I never thought of wrapping them with bacon as I'm so used to having the meat seared to hold the flavor in. I guess the bacon would take care of infusing extra flavor into the beef. I usually coat the steaks on both sides with olive oil before rubbing in the steak spice. Turns out really nice every time.
Old April 21st, 2018, 01:05 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Another beautiful day out. Was chilly this morning. Got home before 5, but Tiger was a pain all morning, so didn't get up until almost 2. The plan was noon. Eh, I should still get to Mom's before 10 tonight.

Everything is ready to go. Tiger is following my every move. I wonder if he thinks he'll get left. Nice day for traveling.

Allan the air mattress will be a temporary thing, I'd never give up my waterbed. I've slept on it the best part of 39 years. Should a new Mrs. Clark ever grace the abode she'll either have to get used to it or get her own room. You just can't compromise on a comfortable bed and a good night's (day's?) sleep.

Glenn do you just never put the top up? Any more I hate putting the top down on my car. It goes down okay but it's a bear to wrestle back up. The pump is full but the lines have air in them and I can't get them bled out. I'd be like Mr. Klepto and his Model T in Speed Racer. I'd fight with the top while it was raining and then it would stop when I was finished.

Okay gonna hit the road. Hope everyone has a good weekend and I'll see you back late Monday.
Old April 21st, 2018, 04:44 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by slantflat
Should a new Mrs. Clark ever grace the abode she'll either have to get used to it or get her own room.
Were you hitched before?
Old April 21st, 2018, 07:19 PM

Mike, is Tiger ok? Allan, I wrap the bacon around the circumference of the ribeye, that way you still get your sear on both sides.
Old April 22nd, 2018, 04:53 AM

Morning all, off to the Gilmore to check out a couple of pre war Mercedes, a 500K and a 540k. Only there 'til the 31st.
Old April 22nd, 2018, 06:17 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Windy windy windy here. Blowing hard enough to rattle the soffits and give the siding a reason to hold on.

Dan - that makes perfect sense. Have fun at the car show.