The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old February 18th, 2018, 06:56 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Allan, I don't know about that one, if they get a little offended, they might start throwing those stones, and I ain't so fast on my feet anymore.
I don't think you have anything to worry about there Dan, each stone weighs about 40 lbs. Of course you'd probably have a hard time outrunning the babes with just brooms.
Old February 18th, 2018, 11:09 PM

Morning all

So 5am and I'm already at work. I had to come in early at one of my building sites to fire up the gas heater. I've got the dry liners in today and their stuff doesn't dry when it's cold and damp so after an hour or so it's nice and toasty here!

Had a nice weekend as my boy was staying with his Michigan girl in a hotel in central London so we took advantage and stayed in bed on Sunday till 2 in the afternoon. We only got up to make some dinner, then we hit the shops as I needed some more work trousers and of course she 'needed a new pair of shoes.

Got the battery on charge on the Cutlass as we are due a few nice days this week, so i think i will give it a good winter shakedown.

London weather. Damp and grey today but brightening up this week highs of 54F.
Old February 18th, 2018, 11:22 PM

Good Morning.

0F outside when i woke up. Refreshing Seems like another of the two carrots had disappeared during the evening/ night, and plenty of oat we also serviced.

Yesterday i went to garage to bring my distributor home to have something to tinker with in dining room Im ashamed to tell, that when i opened it up, a) mechanical advance weights were sticking some, and b) another return spring is dead. I pretty much know now why it lately before it broke down, idled really badly after revving it first time after re-start... Live and learn..

LondonCutlass - Nice! Ive always wanted to attend one of few old-car winter-meetings, maybe some day i will

Okay, not much else. Have a good new week everyone!
Old February 19th, 2018, 02:51 AM

Just popped home to pick the wife up to take her to work and I’ve got a half an hour wait. I put the TV on and it’s the Olympics. So I’m sitting here watching the curling. I didn’t even know that team GB had a team, and that we are even not too bad!
Looks interesting but too much sweeping for my liking.
Old February 19th, 2018, 03:30 AM

I'm given up watching curling and am glued to ice skating
Old February 19th, 2018, 04:43 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

They got the roof done lickety split. They didn't even have to come out yesterday. It was close to 70F yesterday and woke up to snow. Gonna be cold this week.

Mike we haven't had much bad weather this year. I'm sure the gates would be ok. You looking at taking the bid?

Started knocking out the ever growing honey-do's this weekend. amazing what you can do, when you aren't rushing around trying to get ready for the next race.

Have a day all.
Old February 19th, 2018, 06:05 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Well the sun didn't last long. It's rainy and cloudy today, but it's supposed to get up into the 70s this week. It's about time.

Clint as much as I'd love to live in Denver, snow not withstanding, it's just too far to get everything moved. And I don't want to be that far away from my family. Which is too bad because my best friend lives out there and I'd have the best mechanic around. Besides that the list is still rather long, and at only 24 years I'd still have awhile.

London how long did it take you to get used to driving a car with the steering wheel opposite of everything else? You know all the years I've gone to Australia that's one thing I've never done is drive. I figure I'd get to talking or not paying attention and revert back to my western ways, and we'd end up in the ditch, or worse. I'd sure like to have a right hand drive car, though.

That guy didn't waste any time giving the Deuce a once over. He sent me a long list of what all it needs. He says it's a very good truck with some over due maintenance and a couple issues just related to age.

Okay time for Awful house then I don't know what. Inside stuff until it clears up. Have a good day everyone.
Old February 19th, 2018, 08:32 AM

Mike, it’s really simple driving the ‘wrong way around’ I’ve driven about 15000 miles in Europe and the States. It’s surprising how quickly you get used to it. Driving in the UK with the steering on the wrong side is no problem, however it can be a pain when you have to go to a car park and you get a ticket from the machine and you have to either lean across or get out the car.
Luckily we have virtually no toll roads or that could be an issue.
Old February 20th, 2018, 04:00 AM

Sloshed around chasing whitey in the mud yesterday but had a good time

Still glued to skating hoping for another wardrobe malfunction

Mike, London, in Bermuda and the Bahamas, the biggest problem i Have is looking the wrong way before stepping off a curb to cross the street

Have a great day Olds friends
Old February 20th, 2018, 04:05 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Bout 6 inches of snow on the ground this mornin. They were close, they were calling for 1-3". Temp sitting right about nada.

Have a day.
Old February 20th, 2018, 09:05 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Yesterday here was a Civic holiday. Family Day in AB. I started it out by taking the Malibu out for a much needed bath. It was very quiet at the wash so I dried it off and had plenty if time to get even the jambs dry.

Then I spent the rest of the day resting like Jim taught me.

Might head out to Costco later.
Old February 20th, 2018, 04:03 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Just came in with Tiger, what a nice evening. Looks like we'll have warm and sunny weather all week. I'll take it.

Not much going on. Slept all afternoon. Should be good to go for tonight. Hope there isn't any drama. Who knows what's changed when gone for a couple days.

Jamesbo I did the same thing the first time I was in Australia, almost got ran over. First time I was called mate and it wasn't in a good way.

Talked with the guy about the Deuce last night. I kept hearing dollar signs ringing up, but he was actually pretty good and is very budget conscious. He made a list of everything the truck needs and asked what I wanted him to do, told me a few things I could do myself, and a few things we could work around so they wouldn't cost so much. I have a feeling it's still going to cost more than I had allowed for, but I'll have a truck that is dependable and ready for anything.

Well it's Monday. Three this week. Hope everyone is having a good week.
Old February 21st, 2018, 04:39 AM

Mawn'in

Wet but warm

Something flung a craving on me for chess pie. Come to think of it last year was the year of the biscuit, this year must be the southern [or Chinese] year of the pie

Mike, I don't feel so stupid about looking the wrong way now thanks

BTW, I know you don't trouble yourself with mundane things but what's the MPG on a Deuce

Old February 21st, 2018, 05:54 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Heading out in awhile to put all that Olympic curling knowledge to work. Not the wimmen curling, they've been doing terrible and have been eliminated from playoffs for the first time I can remember. I guess that happens when ya get a young team that may have let the journey to Korea go to their heads?

Jim, what's a chess pie??? Nebber mind. I Jess looked it up

London, wimmen never have enuff shoes. You should know that. But since she buys you expensive vacations I guess it's not a biggie.

Mike, just curious what you use the deuce for. It's such a monster truck.
Old February 21st, 2018, 09:05 AM

Good evening.

Off from sauna. Been tinkering few days with my distributor.. Does anybody care to look is Echlin DP112 still available at NAPA? Distributor pins. Tried both with Computer and phone their online-site, but it prohibits entering. Both to US and Canada sites. I quess it has to do something with me not living there.

Otherwise its refreshing outside, hovering around 0F, been heating fireplace every day now.

Seems like life here has been flowing normally.

Okay, have a day all! Hump-day????

Last edited by Inline; February 21st, 2018 at 09:12 AM.
Old February 21st, 2018, 02:34 PM

Mike, never heard of a deuce truck, any pics for the uninitiated.

The weather mans been giving a warning for next week. Apparently we, as well as Jouni are in line for a blast of weather from Siberia, sounds interesting. Wonder if I might actually get a bit of snow.

Went out for Chinese New Year last night. This morning I remembered why I shouldn’t eat their food. Massive headache all day today. Too much MSG. It didn’t help that I had a really busy day today.

Allan. The price of a pair of shoes my wife buys would pay for another vacation. She has over 100 pairs already. Our girlie curling team are doing ok, apparently they beat the Canadians!
Old February 21st, 2018, 03:26 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

London I don't know why I can't get a picture of my truck to go up here. Pictures are hit or miss with me. I think it's my internet provider. I can do anything with my computer if I take it somewhere else, but when it's hooked up here it won't do ****. Just google M35A2 and you'll see plenty of pictures. We call it a Deuce and a half because it's a 2 1/2 ton truck.

Gas mileage on that guy is about 6. You can run anything flammable in it as long as it isn't AvGas. I just run straight diesel. You'd think you could go pretty far on a tank of fuel, because it's 50 gallons, but that gets used up quick.

I bought it without a specific use in mind. I just liked them, and when they went out of the inventory, prices started going up and I thought if I want one I better get one. When I get it back I'm taking it to the shop and pulling tree stumps with it. Also I'll use it to haul big tree parts around.

So it's absolutely gorgeous out. But we can't seem to escape the rain. Last night it misted and then rained and was a big pain. This morning it started spitting just as I was getting home, and did just enough to make a mess. But now it's nice out.

Work was busy last night but I was sort of able to pick and choose what I wanted to do. Got a couple wrong parts, a few parts weren't in stock, I did okay. No idea what tonight will hold.

Okay better get to it. Hope everyone has a good evening.
Old February 21st, 2018, 03:32 PM
Always room for one more

We'll see if this works. This truck is for sale up by John in da hills.
Old February 21st, 2018, 11:57 PM

Good Morning.
Clear blue sky, tad under 0F.

Mike - Im remembering seeing a pic of your(?) Deuce earlier on this thread. Atleast i think it was really the one you have.

LondonCutlass - Siberian blast... I could tell its already there. Thankfully it hasnt snowed for what... two or three weeks? Chinese food? I wont simply touch it. Another one is Nepalese food. Ive eaten it twice at the same time - first and last

Soo, im quessing i should go to garage today or tomorrow.. Dont know yet which day. Should ready the block to machining.

But have a day all.
Old February 22nd, 2018, 04:16 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Starting to warm up. Was -7 yesterday mornin. (-22c to you metric type)

Inline, I checked Napa and they show "no results found" for a DP112. If you give me the details, I can look on my distributors site to see if I can come up with something.

Mike what motor? Dad bought one back in the early '80's had a monstrous I6 in it that ran on Propane. When we could get it to run. He never did use it for the stone business he had.

Have a day.
Old February 22nd, 2018, 04:42 AM

Mawn'in

The air is wet but warm

London, My wife's motto is "If the shoe fits..............buy it"

The grass in the cemetery is starting to grow but the %(&^&^*(& wild onions are really tall. I hate to go mow onions and have the place smell like a hamburger joint but I may have to

Old February 22nd, 2018, 08:27 AM

Evening.

Got atleast something done today, visited garage ( i really need to build it to my yard) and got my timing cover done.
Here it is done. Gray areas are chemical metal, and shows exactly where and how much there was pitting under water-pump, and around passages to block.

CQR - That part number was for pins holding advance weights, where they pivot around. On earlier HEI's, as ive understand, there wasnt bushings yet, and it was a common problem that either weight holes became egg-shaped, or pins started to worn. I have worn pins. In lack of parts i filled those pins, and im going to put bushings over them. New pins would still be better if they just were available somewhere.
Hmm.. And plastic cover above grease-well on HEI-body, under pick-up coil.

The closer i get on my build, the farther it seems to be. First when you start rebuild, you think ( atleast i did), that okay, torn it down, buy parts, get it machined, and build it. But truth is, everything is worn down on +40 year old engine, and from distributor to PCV-valve, everything needs replacing/repairing. But im gonna drive it this summer.

Okay, its dark outside, and i promised to hoover at our house to my wife
So, better get going->

Last edited by Inline; February 22nd, 2018 at 10:06 AM.
Old February 22nd, 2018, 03:33 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Very excited. It's my Friday. Last night was busy but finished an insane amount of work, did two CBTs and still got out early. Can't beat that. In honor of the last workday of the week Tiger and I hit the Awful house.

I believe I have posted pictures of my Deuce before, but in 20K + posts, finding them would be the proverbial needle in a haystack. They pretty much all looked the same from 1949 through the end of production.

My truck has the LDT465-1C multifuel engine. C turbo, air shift front axle. Pretty much standard issue for the later A2s. It is indeed a large inline 6. Mine is a White. Some of the trucks have a D turbo, which is quieter. The C turbo whistles like a Cat diesel when it spools up. It's pretty cool.

Headed to Mom's tomorrow afternoon. I haven't even started getting ready to go. Besides painting I need to do something with the neighbor's fence in the back. He's old and has fixed the fence numerous times over the years and told my Mom, do whatever you want I'm not touching it again. So, I'm going to shore it up best I can and probably end up building my own fence right up against it.

Okay need to get ready for work, I'm taking time out of Tiger's outside time. Hope everyone has a good evening. One more and then the weekend.
Old February 22nd, 2018, 04:15 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Safe travels tommorow Mike. Enjoy the visit with your mom. Is Tiger going with you?
Old February 22nd, 2018, 05:57 PM
MOTORHEAD

day

happy
then un happy

hope you all had tons of fun
sorry ca not keep up
distract

keep your pecker up
Old February 23rd, 2018, 04:07 AM

Mawn'in

Warm and clear and grass cutting time

Safe travels Mike,

Allan, I read it on FB sp it has to be true? Did the USA beat Canada in their national sport?

GTG day lite's burning

Old February 23rd, 2018, 04:32 AM
CQR

Mornin all.

Mike, Dad's was a REO. around '52 I believe. It was a non turbo motor and at this altitude, and the addition of LP, made it slower than a politician choosing a stance on election year.

Inline, My parts house has part numbers for those pins but does not stock them.

Have a day.
Old February 23rd, 2018, 06:16 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Jim, yes it's true. USA beat Canada in both hockey and curling. The curling part wasn't a surprise as we didn't bring our A game to curling. Not even our B or C game. But hockey was a different story. It came down to a shoot out though in hockey.

London, your team from GB in curling is from Scotland. I was a bit surprised to hear the cost of shoes for your missus. She must have expensive tastes.

Jouni, why not just replace that cover? I don't have a lot of faith in liquid metal filler.

Heading out shortly do do what team Canada couldn't do at curling. Then again, maybe if we lose we'll just be status quo.

Have a good Friday!
Old February 23rd, 2018, 06:53 AM

Afternoon.

What a game!!! Germany sunk Canada 4-3 at semifinals on Olympic ice-hockey What a thriller! Russia played earlier really well against Czechs winning them 3-0.

CQR - Thanks for looking anyways. I thought so that they may not be anymore available anywhere. I quess it turns out good still

Allan R - Quess how much that cover would have costed me? Over 100$ for piece of metal! I bought "best" ( most expensive atleast) chemical metal i got my hands on, and they promise pretty much. Lol, theyve succesfully repaired even engine-blocks up here with that stuff. But- if that pitting would be on oil-side, i wouldnt trust it, but on water-side, worst that can happen is that i have to flush my coolant. And its easy to look after one summer By just taking water-pump off

Got my new fuel-tank today. Made in Canada it says. Spectra-brand. Someone ( not me) lost some money for sure, i paid 45$ for shipping fuel-tank from US to Finland. That couldnt cover the costs i bet

Okay, off to heat sauna-> Have a nice weekend everyone.

Last edited by Inline; February 23rd, 2018 at 06:57 AM.
Old February 23rd, 2018, 12:10 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Thanks for the wishes. I always try to be a little more careful when Tiger is in the car. We stop a couple times during the trip to get out and stretch, ordinarily if it's just me I drive until I'm out of gas then stop.

Another busy night at work. And of course since I needed to get out early I stayed until the end. The new guy(bless his naïve little heart) said, why don't you say something to the lead? I said, because that would be held over me forever more, regardless of whether or not he let me go.

Clint your Dad's truck was probably originally a gasser. The original REOs were Gold Comet 6 cylinders with a whopping 127hp. Of course the gears are 4.56 .

Got a few things together for the weekend. Need to do a few things before I leave, so I hope to get on the road by 5. That won't put us there too late.

Okay have a good weekend everyone. I'll check in at some point.
Old February 24th, 2018, 08:29 AM
Olds Specialist LOL

Morning yaull back with another 442
let the fun begin
gathering tune stuff cap.wires,plugs,points
acdelco or autolites? r45,r46 or 86?
been awhile alitte rusty ordering from rock auto
Old February 24th, 2018, 08:34 AM

Well, Allan, the U.S. men's got the gold in curling, go figure. I tried to stay up and watch it, but it was after 3am, and Sweden had taken a 4-3 lead in the 5th end, hadda get to bed, so I didn't see the finish. JohnnyOlds, you bought that yellow 442 on Olds Central right?
Old February 24th, 2018, 08:38 AM
Olds Specialist LOL

Yes Sir!!

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Well, Allan, the U.S. men's got the gold in curling, go figure. I tried to stay up and watch it, but it was after 3am, and Sweden had taken a 4-3 lead in the 5th end, hadda get to bed, so I didn't see the finish. JohnnyOlds, you bought that yellow 442 on Olds Central right?
Old February 24th, 2018, 08:40 AM
Olds Specialist LOL

Originally Posted by JOHNNYOLDS442
Yes Sir!!

Old February 24th, 2018, 09:12 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Dan, yes John Shuster surprised a lot of us with his gold medal performance but in all honesty he earned the win against a very highly rated team Sweden. Congratulations team USA for a brilliant gold medal win in men's curling!
Old February 24th, 2018, 09:35 AM

Evening.

Wrote clearances and journal sizes up to machinists today, and some minor jobs done.
Watched olympics. Great way to start a day, gold-medal at mens 50km classic ski. Total dominance!

After that, curling. US nailed it hard at 8th end, great 5-point throw!

Then it was time to Ice-hockey bronze-game. Loads of goals, was great match. Congrats to Allan and Canada.

JOHNNYOLDS442 - Nice colour- i love that yellow. Been tinkering about idea of painting mine yellow too.. Rallye-yellow to be exact. But arent those Buick wheels?

Okay, back to tv. Tomorrow-morning womens 30km, and gold-game on ice-hockey.

Have a saturday all!
Old February 24th, 2018, 10:38 AM

Evening all

So, in the UK it’s back to doing what we do best, talking about the weather.
Apparently, we are due a once in a generation cold snap with temps down to minus 20C. Don’t know what that equates to. The government has issued us an amber alert with regards to the cold and dare I say it, snow. Best all all it’s heading straight to where I am in the country. Should be fun!
Normally if we get more than two inches then the whole place grinds to a halt. Schools close, shops run out of food and we get stupid headlines in the newspapers like, it’s snowmagedan or something as absurd.

Been to my building site today, started to do some work but my hands started to freeze so I gave up and came home. So tonight I’ve got the grandson with me and he’s teaching me how to get Paw Patrol on the iPad!

Tomorrow I’m panic buying in the supermarket before they run out of supplies, enough for ten days should be enough.
Old February 25th, 2018, 04:17 AM

Mawn'in

Elsie is on her way

London, sounds like Gawga with snow coming. Hope it's over for this season but I fear we have one more on the way

Old February 25th, 2018, 05:16 AM

Good Morning, I have always noticed this thread and since I check the site most every morning I guess I will join. It's all good here in Michigan for us though Lansing got flooded worse since 1975 last week. Now it's very windy, good to drive out all the water. I have been working pretty hard on cab corners and floor boards on my 56 f100 basket case, also working half a$$ed on restoring grilles for my 71 Supreme. Enjoying retirement since 2/2017. It's all good.... Greg
Old February 25th, 2018, 05:33 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,
Welcome to the weirdness Greg.

London, that's about -4 F. Not really so bad unless there's wind involved. Hahahaha, amber alert for cold?? That's a normal day here. We don't issue amber alerts unless it's important stuff like missing children. I guess you're in part of the world where cold weather isn't common though.

Jim, I think that's why Mike left to visit his mom. He must know something you don't.

Jouni, thank you. Not the expectations of medal performance by a long shot especially in curling or hockey. It's good for these teams to feel the humiliation when they're bested though. IMO it will motivate them more in the future instead of just expecting to be top dog. Closing ceremonies today

Well the Saturn developed another problem. I came out to a dead battery last Wednesday. Apparently I'd left the lights on, mostly because I didn't hear the chime module. Turns out the chime module is Tango Uniform. But it also controls the seat belt warning system and more important, the rear defroster. It's an easy swap but only modules from 96-99 will work. A trip to the boneyard is in the works. Ezpz to access and replace is the good thing.

Mike, hope your visit is going well. Betting tiger is loving it.

Have a wonderful sabbath everybody!