The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old February 21st, 2019, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Ah yes, Apocalypse Now, got it on dvd. it.

Next time ya watch it, pay close attention to Duval's Calvary hats when he's on the beach. One has the cross sabers pin another one has the cross sabers patch
Old February 21st, 2019, 09:13 AM

Have any of my CO friends see /driven or know anyone who has one of the new 1000 h.p. Suburbans
Old February 21st, 2019, 10:40 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Allan R
Jim - Whut?? Your sump doesn't have a float to turn it on automatically? Never seen one here that didn't. What on earth would happen if you were away and it wasn't turned on? Time to change it out son.
That'd be sump'n!!

Old February 21st, 2019, 10:51 AM

Good evening everyone.

To start; i havent seen ANY of the movies you talk about. Best movie done ever is Rush, period! Dont either like opera. But i actually like classic music. My wife calls me "classic" for my likes for older music. Loving especially 70's music. Acquired taste and so on.
So, today i went to garage. Putting interior back together, spending time, and messing with fuel lines.
One particular thing i regret on my build, is those (¤)#(#¤= AN-fuel lines. They are never-ending swamp. And after all, i only have carburetter engine where hose-barbs and clamps would have done it. And ive wasted so much money for those freaking AN-connectors / end of rant.
Just came from sauna, and spending time with a boy. Tomorrow i need to specially head to shop which sells inch-system bolts, just to get 4 longer bolts and new nuts for my hitch. If i would work there, it would drive me nuts People visiting just to buy few odd bolts and nuts, without even sizes for them, just some old examples which they need to measure..

redoldsman - We have two cats. Came with the house when we bought it. They are "wild" cats; live outside even during winter ( they have heated sleeping Place) and occasionally visit inside, we pretty much just feed them, and in summer even thats not necessary since they find plenty of food from forest next to us

Greg Rogers - Tell us how the auction went tomorrow

Allan R - Congrats! Sorry, dont have much faith on your wednesday-games Tomorrow im sure you wash your opponents. Id like to pay you in future oil obligations from 2100 and onwards

Okay, i quess thats it again. Tomorrow i quess its time to look my new work-car. Currently mis-firing. Suspecting clogged idle solenoid. Will see.
Have a day all!
Old February 21st, 2019, 12:21 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Slow day at work. It's been a slow week, even at only 4 days and there's one more to go. Well, cold and rainy over much of the country, no one is changing tires.

Jamesbo is that Suburban a factory model or a custom come up with by some shop? A thousand horsepower geez. That would be moving. I'll take one.

Greg I must have missed it, is there something special about these trucks in the auction, that you couldn't find in a truck searching the classifieds?

Glenn I agree that our animals are more than just pets. I probably go overboard fawning over Tiger and doing things for him but heck, who else do I have? My Mom says he hit the jackpot when he came to my house. I say I'm the one that's lucky to have him.

It's actually not that cold out, but it's overcast. Rain now and then, in fact last night when I got up to let Tiger out there was lightning and thunder. Crazy. I think I'm staying in this afternoon. Nowhere to go and I don't feel like doing anything out in the mud. Got some chicken noodle soup from Mom for my supper, I think I'm all set.

Have a good afternoon everyone.

Old February 21st, 2019, 12:40 PM

Mike, They're factory I would guess they are CIA special but the public can get one

From the little I know ya can only get 800 if ya want 4 wheel drive [which I would want ]' but it doesn't give the MPG

[url]https://www.motor1.com/news/305047/1000hp-tuned-chevy-tahoe-suburban/
Old February 21st, 2019, 01:16 PM

Yesterday took the Custom Cruiser to car dealer for nenew of tint (special deal). Had a friend pick us up, he got lost, so longer waiting time for p/u. He brought us home, we got in Juju's '94 Cutlass Supreme vert to run up to Lover's Italian for late lunch/early dinner. Had it, along with a glass of wine. I was getting back in her car, she stepping into her favorite jewelry shop, and I missed the seat when I went to sit. I was crumpled up in an impossible position, hollering for Juju to come help; ;fortunately, she heard me, but couldn't help. Young lady came out to push, then young man, from another store front, everybody pushing, me pulling on steering wheel, etc. My right foot was caught underneath door, leg bent terrible, and knee screaming, and that was my good leg. Made me pretty weak today, and very sore. Two steps forward, one back. Going into Baylor Hospital Rehab for evaluation for new therapies, can't wait. The above happened after I made 6 (SIX) trips up/down the driveway w/o my cane!!!! I'm gonna' lick this thing yet!!! Tomorrow we get to go back (somehow) and p/u the CC with wonderful new tint. Life is good!

Last edited by Aron Nance; February 21st, 2019 at 01:18 PM.
Old February 21st, 2019, 02:16 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Aron, you are an inspiration with your attitude my friend. God bless you.
Old February 21st, 2019, 05:03 PM
Oh no, not again...

Aron, keep at it; don't give up! Your progress is amazing and your an inspiration. And yes, two steps forward, one back, just to remind you of humility.

Thanks guys on the well wishes for the cat; she's doing better today, more like her old self. We figured out a way to administer the meds without getting slashed to ribbons. And no, it doesn't involve a slingshot.

Pretty quiet today, not much happening.

So; back to watches, in case everyone wasn't bored enough.
I took an expensive 1928 21 jewel Ball-Hamilton Railway Grade watch to work today, just to give it some movement and some pocket time. It's got a weird problem, and I'm localizing it down to a mainspring or a hairspring issue. It runs like a trooper when fully wound right to the stop, and then once the mainspring backs off a few notches, it quits. Apply a little pressure to the centre wheel, and it takes off again, runs for a few clicks, and then stops again. At first I thought it was a balance issue, but it's running well with pressure in the "bad" position and will stay running. So somewhere the power from the spring isn't being transferred. There's only 2 ways that could happen, the first being that the mainspring is weak, and the next being that one of the wheels is out of round. And then sometimes it'll run the full length of the mainspring. Pivots seem to be OK, I checked to see if there were any cracked jewels, because those can cause drag. It looked to be in great shape when I stripped it. Where it might be a hairspring issue is if the hairspring is weak and the vibrations on it go "out of sync" and then it stops. It doesn't take much to stop a watch; and looking for worn parts is time consuming and almost impossible. It's a very desirable watch and definitely worth fixing, I've only got about $40 into it so far and I have stripped and cleaned it and have a new dial coming, and I've re- cased it. It's worth upwards of $600-700 in reliable working condition.

Allan, sorry to hear that you've lost your third. Nothing worse than retraining someone to fit in 3/4 of the way through the season. Good luck on finding a suitable replacement! Please let me know if you see both banners; the other one is on the 153rd overpass just after Terwilliger heading west, with the Mormon church on the right. I won't be able to get back out there until Saturday, and I haven't got a member who uses that route or lives nearby to check.

Jouni, I can understand how you feel about chasing after someone else's bad construction or mistakes. I've spent all of my car-restoration time doing that and wondering what in the world possessed the moron to do what he did. There are some very interesting repair jobs out there. It's the biggest reason why I'm going to enjoy this Oldsmobile that I'm going to be starting in spring; it is a completely stock car that has had nothing modified or done to it. It is as Oldsmobile in Oshawa built it. It will be refreshing to only be able to curse at the factory and have myself to blame for any idiot mistakes.

On that note...that stupid watch is beginning to wind down, and it is changing pitch, implying that the mainspring may well be the issue. It sounds strong, then it goes weak, now all I have to do is time the sound changes, and mark some wheels.

Have a good evening!
Old February 21st, 2019, 07:00 PM

Hey, I know my attendance has been less than perfect again lately. I've been keeping busy. I'm going to try and keep popping in when I can.

Tomorrow is Friday!
Old February 21st, 2019, 10:28 PM

LOL, ya beat me to it! So, does Roll Over Beethoven count? Dull around here, rain and 50-60 mph wind gusts expected this Sunday.
Old February 22nd, 2019, 05:12 AM

Aron, keep at it!! Sounds like that was a horrible situation to be in-stuck but now you're thru it ! keep doing the 2 steps forward, knowing the one step back may come also. You impress me. Such a positive person, I wish I could visit with you in person... maybe someday!
Dan, yeah I've heard about the storm coming this weekend. Hope it's not too bad...
Mike, the vehicles on Copart are wrecked insurance totals, they vary from 2 week old Maserati's that were creamed by a speeding train, to lightly damaged 25 year old rust buckets. The trucks I'm looking at are about 15 years old that seem to be nice trucks before the accident. I can buy the vehicles that are "no license required" and they still have a "clear title" though they are listed on carfax,etc as total losses. I have been looking on Craigslist and others and the prices for 4x4 used trucks are unbelievable! Hoping to get a deal- we'll see, I'll find out today. If I get the one I want the most I won't even fix it. The drivers side back door wont open due to a crease, the rest open and close fine. It will be my beater. Might even get a plate to go on front that says"totaled" or "wrecked" Huh??
Old February 22nd, 2019, 05:58 AM

mawn'in

Rain has stopped fer a while

Aron,
It's kinda like Richard used to say about eating and elephant. "One bite at a time"

Copart,

Jes what I need a Maserati with flood/water damage/ Hold my beer, I think I'll measure the distance between the battery post with a metal ruler

Norm,

Ya certainly have economy with the English language

Allan, My sump pump doesn't sit in a hole, it sits flat on the floor. If I'm out of town, I jes call someone to plug it in

Have a great day Olds friends
Old February 22nd, 2019, 06:29 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Decent start to the day. Forecast is for yet more snow.... sigh....

Jouni - We'll see how the game goes today. I have to import a spare player to make up for Ron's illness. Could go either way. Film at 11

That's it for now campers.
Old February 22nd, 2019, 10:18 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Good morning at work. Out by 11, relaxing time at the Awful house, Tiger waiting for me when I get home. Doesn't get much better.

Foot seems to be easing up a little. It's way better without my work boots on.

Aron keep up the good work. Here are some adages. The road to paradise is full of potholes. Every cloud has a silver lining. Meaning, things aren't always easy but they are worth the effort. Hope the Cruiser turns out good.

Greg you could put on an Andrew Clark from The Breakfast Club. If I lose my temper you're totaled! It would have to be backward so the people in front of you could read it.

Paul too busy to talk with us? Really.

Marc I have a question. You talk about railway watches a lot. Is there a reason that railroad workers would carry a pocket watch instead of wearing a wrist watch? Were there no wrist watches back in the day?

Well it's overcast but warm. I really need to get over and look at the Corvette, but it's wet and muddy at the shop and I don't want to get into all that. I hope the rain is done now for awhile. I got lots of outside stuff to do. I need to go next door here in a minute and check on the brother in law. Tony's funeral was this morning(probably still going on) and he stayed home to watch all the dogs.

Okay have a good afternoon everyone.
Old February 22nd, 2019, 12:02 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
[url]https://www.motor1.com/news/305047/1000hp-tuned-chevy-tahoe-suburban/
This>>>>>1,000-HP Chevy Tahoe, Suburban Are Ultimate Family Haulers
Old February 22nd, 2019, 04:55 PM
Oh no, not again...

Mike, There were no wristwatches prior to WWI in the English speaking world. It was considered "unmanly", women wore them. That was until WWI, when the first few hundred British officers got wasted yanking out a pocket watch before going "over the top". The Germans they'd captured were wearing their girlfriend's locket watches (a watch worn around the neck like a necklace) secured with a leather strap, - thus freeing up their hands and keeping them low in a trench. So the Brits adopted it, and a company that was started in London by a Kraut expat got it's start by selling cheap Swiss locket watch movements in converted wristwatch cases to soldiers headed for the front. That was how Rolex got started.
All American railway companies had adopted a uniform standard, the watch had to be large, have Arabic numbers, be a lever set but open face, and have at least 21 jewels and be adjusted in 5 positions. It all stems from an railway accident that killed people back in 1889 where a conductor used a cheap Swiss knock-off of an American watch that was 3 minutes late. A true American railway-grade watch is still the most accurate piece of machinery built. The Swiss still don't come near the quality, although they claim to. The American watch and clock industry in the 19th century was the best in the world, they had put the previous "best in the world", the British, completely out of business. The Swiss remained primarily because they had Europe, no one could afford an English watch, and the language barrier and parts availability made American watches uneconomical on the Continent. The Swiss had tried for decades to break into the North American market but always failed because their watches were cheap and overly complicated. They were only able to finally break in after WWI, when they were able to flood the market with cheap wristwatches. The American watch manufacturers didn't respond quick enough and when they did, they found it cheaper to use Swiss manufacturers rather than retool their own. Sound familiar? Yup; some things never change and history repeats. By the way, Bulova and Gruen were actually American companies that always used Swiss movements, and in the late 19th century were considered cheap crap.
Sorry for the long-winded history lesson, but you asked!
By the way, Rolex still is overpriced and overly complicated crap. An Omega is a far better movement. I refuse to work on Rolex. Those things are like a Ferrari or Lamborghini; a show-off's car, a lot of show, and expensive to fix or maintain. The only thing a Rolex proves is that like it's owner's head, his wallet is a hole with no bottom. And no, I'm not in the least opinionated!

Allan, yeah, just what we needed, more snow! Isn't it great? I'm digging this climate change thing!

Yeah...well, have a good evening all!
Old February 22nd, 2019, 05:22 PM
Always room for one more

Marc I'm glad I asked, I had no clue. I've got a Bulova wristwatch that a lady couldn't wear, it weighs about 10 pounds. It's from the 70s and hasn't run in decades because the coils are burnt out and are not available.

So I found out that my card that gives me a 10% discount at the Awful house isn't going to be allowed this year. Seems the new district manager won't allow it because the Henry County card doesn't have the discount at all, so I can't use my card that's from the north side. I'm going to send a stern message to the corporate office. I'll probably be rebuffed but at least I put forth the effort.

Think I'll put in some Starsky and Hutch. Don't need to go to bed early, don't need to get up early. Hasn't rained all afternoon, I hope that's a trend that continues. Have a good evening everyone.
Old February 22nd, 2019, 05:45 PM

Marc, that is very interesting about the history of pocket/vs/wrist watches. Funny how every thing comes about for good reasons. So "Swiss Movement" used to mean junk, kinda like "Made in Japan" meant junk, Maybe "Chiniseam" will mean high quality in the future?? I don't like the thought of that but???
The Copart auction was a bust. I didn't know that the Ionia auction had 3 lanes of vehicles. I just went on the live auction and started watching cars sell. I was on lane A. The trucks I wanted to bid on was on lane B. By the time I figured that out it was too late, the trucks had sold. Geez, ahh what ever... wasn't meant to be....I really am not in a hurry to get a truck anyway. Have a good one all...
Old February 22nd, 2019, 07:37 PM
Oh no, not again...

Mike, glad to oblige. Bulova isn't a bad watch, by the mid-30s they were absolutely everywhere and they were really innovative in styling. I've got a few and I love 'em. Gruen by the time they went under were a pretty high-end watch; well built and pretty tough. I'm wearing an "Oldsmobile Service Guild" one from 1955 right now. As for the 1970s clunker, All watches made in the 70s were clunky, big and didn't age well. Can't give those things away right now except to guys wearing white fur and floppy fedoras who drive Eldorados with leopard skin seat covers. I'd have better luck selling ABBA tapes. And yes, parts for Bulova Accutron are impossible considering the last one was made in 1975. They sold 5 million of them, so you could get lucky and pick up a parts clunker with good coils on eBay or something. But there's no one around who knows how to tune those things anymore.

Greg, yes, Swiss meant garbage for a long time, they competed against the English as far back as 1750, I have a couple Swiss made counterfeits of English watches. The Swiss would copy shamelessly and it wasn't until the 1830s when they started getting innovative, but they still suffered from lousy metallurgy and they weren't accurate. American companies really came on after the Civil War and more or less ran the English out of business and put the Swiss on the ropes. The Swiss spent the next 50 years trying to catch up to American quality by trying to copy and then set new standards, but they weren't all that successful until after WWI when the American industry went off-shore. So yes, every dog has it's day; and the Chinese for instance, are currently making a fairly good mechanical movement that rivals anything that Japan or the Swiss can make. After all, Rolex has a lot of its components made there now. The Swiss are doing to themselves exactly what the Americans did 100 years earlier; - giving it all away for cheap.
Sorry to hear the auction didn't work out; I'd probably consider this a cheap lesson, at least now you'll know how these things work the next time and you'll scoop a deal.
Old February 22nd, 2019, 10:48 PM

Good Morning everybody. Sorry for passing one day.

Yesterday? Nothing. Well, i painted my hitch ( one paint to go, then its ready) and read car-related magazines, Mobilist and Octane.

Greg Rogers - Shame to hear about your auctio incident. Tho, next time you will be one experience richer

Allan R - So how did the game went? I could had come, you just need to pay the flight-tickets, i can take care of rest then

Nailheadcanuck - Thanks alot. Was really interesting read about watches. That was totally new to me, everything. Ive always thought that swiss-watches were the past, today and future. How would you rate TAG ( Heuer) watches? Ive always liked and wanted their Monaco watch.
About my car, only problems related to past owners were electric. His/her way of installing army of new gauges were really innovative, and electric job…. ooh, wonder it havent burned down. Otherwise its all original, and problems are self-imbosed. Like those AN-lines.

I really havent understand Chinese bashing. They make as good product as you pay them to do. For what ive been building my engine and car, parts that say Made in China actually have had least of problems, be it fitting or quality. Same thing on my country, about bashing em. The problem is on the side who orders the job, pays for crap part to maximise profits, and then its easy to blame manufacturer at other side of the world.
That reminds me of one actual moment, when Volvo ( car-maker) blamed ZF for crappy automatic transmissions blowing behind their leased VW-based straight six turbodiesel.
ZF CEO responded pretty close that " you chose this trans, since it was x-amount cheaper than next in line; just watch in the mirror".

Hmph, today we travel to middle-Finland for wifes brothers girlfriends childrens birthday Im forced to come within, and then we spend night at wifes parents.
Yay.

Have a good weekend everyone!
Old February 23rd, 2019, 04:29 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Inline
I really havent understand Chinese bashing. They make as good product as you pay them to do. For what ive been building my engine and car, parts that say Made in China actually have had least of problems, be it fitting or quality. Same thing on my country, about bashing em. The problem is on the side who orders the job, pays for crap part to maximise profits, and then its easy to blame manufacturer at other side of the world.
Agree with you entirely.
Old February 23rd, 2019, 08:02 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Gloomy, misty day out. Just got back from the Awful house. Busy in there, but had some good conversation. Now we're back home and looking for something to do.

I want to go look at a convertible in South Carolina, but I can't get the guy to get back with me. Emailed back and forth several times this week, then I said I'll come have a look, and nothing. He's got about 10 minutes before it will be too late for me to go pick up a trailer. Eh, he's probably already sold it and doesn't have the decency to tell me. Such is the life of a craigslist looker.

China is not the only one that manufactures things to a company's specs. My step father worked for Amoco and he said they made motor oil for just about everyone. Each company would have a different formula and that's what they got. Except for Sears. They wanted oil so $hitty they wouldn't make it for them.

Marc here is a picture of my Accutron. My Dad wore this every day, and I remember even from new he would have it in to the jewelers to be worked on. I don't know if that's where he bought it or if that was the local Bulova expert, but he was there about once a month. I guess after years of this he got tired of it and put it in a dresser drawer. In the late 80s or early 90s I had a friend whose dad worked downtown Chicago at a watch place. I gave it to him and he got it cranked up, not sure how, but it only ran a few days. He said I was then out of luck because there were no parts to be had. Eh, I like opening the dresser drawer and seeing it.

Well I got the requisite Saturday work to do, laundry, some house cleaning, and then probably copious amounts of internet looking. Man I can't wait for the cold and rainy season to go away. Have a good day everyone.

Last edited by slantflat; February 23rd, 2019 at 08:14 AM.
Old February 23rd, 2019, 08:17 AM
Always room for one more

Damn that was way more difficult than it needed to be.

Old February 23rd, 2019, 11:46 AM

Yesterday picked up the Custom Cruiser (no accidents), picker/upper's arrived on schedule, etc. Rainy day, but came out beautiful! Someone asked Will try and post picture. Fingers having trouble walking today. Legs did good! ,66 miles/1630 steps/up/down long driveway. Forgot all this time my iPhone has heart feature that measures all that daily so I don't have to count the steps I take.....DUH!!!!!!!!!!
Came out pretty good..........
Old February 23rd, 2019, 03:18 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
I can ALMOSTmake out the time.
Old February 23rd, 2019, 09:06 PM
Oh no, not again...

Mike, that Accutron is one of the last ones. Running they're worth a couple -300 bucks or so in mint condition with the correct strap. That one doesn't have that either. So your choices would be to do some eBay shopping for a parts mech and hope for the best; - the coils are the things that fail in those.
Jouni, it depends who makes the Ebauche for TAG Heuer; - I think they still use Venus for any of their chronographs, and it isn't a bad maker. This is the thing; like your Volvo most Swiss watches are made up of components and parts from everywhere. Just because there's a name on the dial doesn't mean that company built the movement. For instance, Rolex uses Precision, which used to be used by Gruen. Breitling uses a number of different makers, Venus, FHF, AS, ETA, and so on. It generally revolves around the price point and the jewel count. If it's cheap, there's a cheaper movement in it, even if it looks the same as it's more expensive cousin. With Swiss watches you have to open them up and understand what you want in a movement. Never buy a high end Swiss watch without looking under the hood. You might think you're buying the big block, and you're actually getting the small block unless you look and understand what you're looking at. It's one of the reasons I still don't like Swiss watches.

Wasn't a great day today. My LeSabre decided to develop an issue, it's decided to miss-fire and shoot a flashing "check engine" light. Engine code "P0300" came up, meaning multiple miss-fires. Sure enough, one coil pack is showing dead. At least that's as far as I know so far. I haven't swapped them around to check and see if it's the ICM yet. That'll be tomorrow if I can find a coil. It was about 0 F outside today, so I wasn't about to stand around and fiddle. I'll pull it into the garage tomorrow and replace the coil, hopefully that'll be it. Knowing my luck though, it'll probably be the ICM as well as the coil pack along with the back side plugs. My luck usually always runs "if you're not doing it the hardest or the worst way possible, you're not doing it right or fixing the issue". I really hate modern cars.

Ended up powering off that Ball-Hamilton Railway watch today. It's definitely a mainspring issue. It had bound up so that I couldn't release the mainspring; - pop the click out of the way and nothing. So there's definitely something going on with the mainspring barrel or the centre wheel. So it'll have to come completely apart again. See the comment above about my luck. The second part to the statement always is; "The actual problem will be something so obscure as to defy all sane reason, and require at least 3 times the budgeted amount of money and time to set right."
Story of my life. I'm going to bed...
Old February 23rd, 2019, 09:48 PM

Heavy rain coming down, supposed to turn to snow in the a.m. with high winds. Blizzard warning for areas about 30 miles north of me, and up to and including the U.P. They are advising everyone to stay off the roads tomorrow. I'll keep that in mind as I go to work. This system will be hitting you guys in the southeast and up to the northeast parts of the country. I was going to replace my outdoor garage lights with dusk to dawn lights, but I saw that Menards had l.e.d. bulbs with a sensor built into them that served the same function. I bought a couple, and won't have to buy new light fixtures. The bulbs were just over seven and a half bucks apiece. I'll try them out when it warms up.
Old February 24th, 2019, 06:48 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Meh.
Old February 24th, 2019, 06:58 AM
Oh no, not again...

Good Morning!

Allan, I agree, meh...

Going to have to go out and try and find an ignition coil for the Buick today. Hopefully that will cure the problem. Can't drive it the way it is.
Other than that, not much going on. Have to see how the troubleshooting exercise goes, - after coffee and a breakfast.
Old February 24th, 2019, 07:36 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Ah, Awful house. Today is my favorite server's last day. She's sick of the Awful house and has gotten a job at a college. Doing what I don't know but she deserves to be happy. Sweet girl. It was unusually quiet for a Sunday when I got there but filled up quick. I decided I didn't need to be part of the noise.

Marc good luck with the Buick today. You know that's one car I've never owned. Well, unless you count the Park Avenue parts car I have that's getting cut up into little pieces. I bought it as a parts car so I don't think that counts.

It's sunny today but windy. Don't know how much it will dry up but I think I'll try to move a couple things at the shop. I got those twist up jacks to put in the crawlspace under the stove, so maybe I can get the floor to even back out.

I see that my neighbor made it back home from New Jersey last night. The sister has already left and this is the first time she'll be in the house without Tony. I don't envy her at all. I won't go over but she can call if she needs anything.

Never did hear from that guy with the convertible. I even emailed him a second time yesterday and nothing. Well, I can't go now because I don't have enough time to get there and back and still get to bed early for work. Eh, his problem. He needs to sell it, I don't need to buy it.

Okay! It's Sunday so that means the weekend is quickly coming to a close. I gotta make today count, I've been lollygagging around too much. Hope everyone has a good day.
Old February 24th, 2019, 09:46 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Morning Everbody:
I am just going to say it was a nice day yesterday and looks to be another one today. Mike it was windy here yesterday. I think often times you guys get our weather the next day.
Marc, good luck on the Buick today.
Maggie got a bath yesterday and today I have to groom her as best I can. I took her to PetSmart last month and she go so stressed out they could not groom her. She and I will get back to going for our walk today. I got a call from one of my old classmates yesterday and they are planning a 55th class reunion this year. No date set yet but it is usually in the fall. I am tentatively planning a trip from here to Monroe, LA (originally home) in the 54 on old Highway 80. There is only about 5 miles of Hwy 80 in east Texas that doesn't exist anymore. I have a couple things on the car to fix before I would do it. My wife will be up to it I believe. It will probably not be to the class reunion though. I did a little research on Hwy 80 and it originally originated in Tybee Island, GA and terminated in San Diego. Now it terminated in Dallas. There are some pretty neat little towns along the way including Gibsland, LA where Bonnie & Clyde met their demise. It would be cool to take a picture of the car by the marker there.
Easy day planned today so have a good day everybody.
Glenn
Old February 24th, 2019, 11:15 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Marc, Parts King on 156 St has new Spectra Premium coils for your Buick for $15.95. That's even cheaper than Pick and Pull and it's a new part. They're not open today but you could always order it and swing by there tomorrow, then on the way home take the Whitemud and check that coin show banner on 53rd Ave.

Part Number C503
Coil Color / Finish Black
Coil Configuration DIS (Distributorless Ignition System)
Coil Terminal Type Two pins male plug
Coil Type Distributorless
Coil Wire Included No
Coil Wire Terminal Attachment Type Stud
Connector Gender MaleIgnition
Type Distributorless
Item Grade Standard Replacement
Item Weight 1.3
Meets or Exceeds OEM Specifications Yes
Minimum Primary Resistance Range 0.30ohm
Minimum Secondary Resistance Range 5.8 Kohms
Mounting Bracket Included No
Mounting Position 2 bolts
Oil Filled No
Package Contents 1 x Ignition Coil
Terminal Gender Male
Terminal Quantity 2Terminal
Type Stud
Vehicle System Voltage 12V
Old February 24th, 2019, 12:00 PM

Beautimus today

Glenn, Murder sum ducks when you're in Mon ro

Marc, Very interesting story abou the history of watches, I don't think kids today wear them much. I guess like so many products, one a good name became a POS. My dad had a Hamilton he wore forever [ maybe still has it on in his grave], Anyway, In the early 60's he bought me an electric Hamilton that was JUNK

Mike, There used to be a watch repair dude down the hall from bvy real-estate office in Buckhead. He had a box full of old Acutrons that went TU

I had a Carrier A/c compressor that was made in Mexico. I wish it had come from china, I replaced it 4 times in 4 years

Have a great day Olds friends
Old February 24th, 2019, 05:08 PM
Oh no, not again...

Got the Buick fixed today, it wasn't a coil pack, that would have been too easy and cheap. I got a coil, and sure enough, put it on, it didn't work. So...checked out the leads to the coils, and sure enough, they all get power, but one doesn't get a spark signal. So it's the ignition module. Managed to get the last one at NAPA, and it cost me $250, the coil had cost me $100. So I'm out $350 but the car is now running like a top again. Problem solved. I'm just going to have to go hungry this week, that was my lunch money.

Managed to fix the Ball-Hamilton railroad watch too. Took it apart, and the mainspring barrel was full of crud in the gear teeth, and the there was a raised piece that looked like it would interfere, it was the locking clip of the mainspring itself. It's an aftermarket spring in this thing and that clip is a millimeter larger than what it needs to be. A few shots with the file fixed that, and I reassembled it before 9 AM and it's still running. So I might have hit that one too.

So it was a productive but expensive day.

Allan, thanks for the tip; - one thing I've heard and read, the only coils a person should buy are from the OEM; - the knock-off stuff usually cooks inside a week. But it might be worth it to pick up a couple of those and have them around for emergencies; the car has close to 300,000 km on it (200,000 miles) and is getting a bit long in the tooth. I put the original coil back on and have the new one as a spare. My wife went through the same exercise 2 years ago on a 2008 Allure, and that thing slowly ate all three coil packs and 2 diodes.

Mike "if you ain't ever owned a Buick , you ain't ever owned s--t"... Seriously though, Buick is one step up in refinement from Olds in the GM Pantheon of cars, and even though they are perceived as "old man cars" and pretty conservative, they're actually quite good. They're also surprisingly fast. Any good GS will easily keep up with a 442. And if you're into the big boats, there's nothing like a Wildcat, although I like the Starfire's styling much better. Here again, my big Buicks surprise a lot of people, especially those idiots who think they can pass me going uphill. I've had quite a few idiots mouth obscenities in my rearview mirror only to be replaced with a "holy f--k" when I pull away from them like they were standing still, going uphill at 70 mph accelerating to 120. Buicks are real torque-monsters and highly underappreciated.

Jamesbo, yup; agreed. Hamilton electrics were garbage. However, if your father was buried with one of their movements, it'll probably still work.Their movements were very good.

Glenn, thanks! Sounds like it'll be an interesting trip. Planning on taking that lovely convertible of yours?

Dan, sounds like you're going to get hammered with lousy weather. Been one of those years, eh? Ridiculous...hope everything stays in one piece and you don't have to dig out too much.

Now to hunt down some pictures for an article I just finished...yeah, another boring old coin article, this one on King George III of England, yeah, that King George.

Have a good evening!
Old February 24th, 2019, 05:30 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Mo home improvement goin on....the fun nebber ends.

I'm painting the main floor baffroom. Got a late start on it around 1:00 pm. I can't believe how much stuff has to be removed and patched for that clean pro look. The ceilings are 10' so I also had to bring in a frosty ladder so reaching the heights will not be much of a chore. Balance on the other hand might be. Removing the terlot is so much fun. First a really good cleaning. Then turn off water, flush and suck out remainder in the bowl and tank with shop vac. It's getting to be too much for me to lift and maneuver so I took the bowl and tank apart. All the fixtures have been removed and I'm just waiting for the Dry Dex to turn white so I can sand. Everything else is taped off and ready to go. I put sacrificial lights in the light fixture after removing the LED bulbs. I can't believe how much hotter they are in comparison. Anywho, nuff for today. I'm hungry and I feel an early night coming on. Tomorrow will be paint and restore day.

Marc - Good to hear you got it up and running. Mebbe a dumb thing to mention after the fact but NAPA has a corporate discount if your company buys stuff from them. Just show your ID card and it's good for a sizable discount. I didn't know that till one day I asked. Now that you're out of danger you can anticipate the future needs? Check out Rockauto.com They have some really good prices and selections. Shipping is incredibly cheap too but you need to look for items that ship from the same warehouse. They're also good for a 5% discount if you visit the sticky on this site and get the latest code.

Jim - I won't buy Carrier. Ever. The one I bought back 4 years ago is a subsidiary of Trane called Ameritech. It has all the Trane innards but a different shell. It also cost a lost less than paying for the brand.

Glenn - sounds like Maggie has you well trained. Maybe check out if there are any mobile pet groomers in your area? I wonder if she was stressed out because she was in a strange place. If you can get a mobile groomer, she likely wouldn't be stressed if she was in her own home. Just a thought.

Jouni - What can I say? Do you remember the show 'Get Smart'? No of course not, you're much to young. But here's how it worked out:

Actually missed it by less than 2 mm because of a brushing error by the lead and second. Otherwise good to go. The replacement guy worked out really well and curled a good game. I won't need him again but am keeping him in my daytimer for next year in case I need someone. I'm not looking forward to Wednesday because Jerome has called in a real douche to play the second position. That's as political and nasty as I'm going to get on this one - too close to the end of the season.

Dan - Hope you are doing ok and the storm hasn't destroyed anything.

K, I'm bushed. Hope y'all had a good weekend.
Old February 24th, 2019, 06:17 PM
Always room for one more

Marc my Granddad drove Wildcats throughout the 60s. One met an untimely demise on the interstate. A deer jumped out from the side of the road and bounced off the hood, up over the windshield and off to the side. For reasons I can't imagine, Grampa hit the brakes. It was winter and icy, and the car went into a spin and a big semi full of frozen turkeys hit his brakes to try to avoid them, and ended up jack knifing and rolled over the back end of the car, smashing it flat. It looked like a fastback(it was a 4 door sedan). All four people got out of the car unscathed. I have pictures of the car somewhere, if I can ever find them I'll scan them somehow and post them.

Allan do you not want to just push the paint brush as far as you can behind the tank? I hate taking up the toilet. But as long as it's up you might as well do new tile on the floor. I just finished painting the bathroom at my Mom's. Glad it's done. I still need to do the trim, though.

Glenn, Monroe LA is also the hometown of my company. They moved to Atlanta in the 40s. I'm unsure if the original building is still there, or if it was taken down. I know they are trying to sell the employees bricks from that building as a fundraiser for the museum.

Didn't get over to the shop today, but did attempt to put the jacks up in the crawl space. I failed. I couldn't get them to collapse enough to fit where they needed to be, so I went and did something else for a little while. I guess I wasn't getting the instructions but it all of a sudden hit me, I needed to turn them upside down. By that time it was getting dark so it will have to wait for another time. Eh, I need some brain food so I can focus.

Well it's bed time. Another week of work, hope it's a good one. The lead is buying us all pizza on Thursday, that's something to look forward to. Hope everyone enjoyed the weekend at some point. Good night everyone.
Old February 24th, 2019, 06:30 PM

Well, I still have power. Windier than hell, supoosed to let up in the A.M. If I didn't work today, I could have taken pics of the waves smashing the lighthouse on Lake Michigan. A couple of trees were blown down onto U.S. 31, the police and utility got them out of they way without too much of a hassle. Got some wings in the oven after soaking them in buttermilk overnight and browning in a pan first. Made a mixture of butter, honey, lemon juice, and tabasco sauce to brush on before chowing down on them. Guinness to wash it down. Marc, it could be worse, my great niece lives in the U.P., and they are having a bad winter. They are running out of places to put the snow from their driveway. Fort Michilimackinac has huge drifts, good thing that it is seasonal, and no one is there.
Old February 25th, 2019, 02:19 AM

Another nice day,

Gonna go smack whitey around and see how the elbow holds up

Norm, Thanks, That's the same info I found, Wonder what the MPG is?

Marx, My mom always drove a Deuce and a quarter { as in Carmen Electra 225] GREAT cars and much more roomy than my Austin Healey 3000 at the ole drive in movie. Becuase I'm so hard on watches, I usually buy jumk and when it quits I toss it like a Bic lighter

Mike, My Dad got PO'd at the waffle House when they wouldn't give him the senior discount on one waffle. What's that ? a whole nickle. He was a depression baby to the end.

Have a great day olds friends
Old February 25th, 2019, 05:43 AM

Windy and bleary here. Clouds and more clouds, Though I have really enjoyed riding the snow machines this year (about 800 miles), I am ready for spring and sunshine. Yesterday it warmed up and rained, now it's cold again and windy. I may try to take a ride today or tomorrow but I'm guessing the ice on the water puddles will be thin and I will break thru and it will be a sloppy mess. Electricity has stayed on so far hope it doesn't go out. The whole lake was out last summer in July but of course it is much less hassle to have power go out in the summer than winter...
Marc, Glad to hear you got the Buick going. I have always heard that Napa was really proud of their parts compared to the other auto chains. I know one time I needed a alternator for our 02 Ford van. It went out on a trip thru the Upper Peninsula. They had one at a Napa store in St. Ignace so I bought it for $170.00 and changed it in the parking lot. After we got back I checked online and found alternators for much cheaper- like $80-100, oh well I was lucky to get one on the road... Yep, Buicks were good cars, and the latter year 3800s were great. Usually around here the bodies rusted off way before the engines wore out. My son bought a 2000 Buick Lesabre with only about 80,000 miles for his 16 yr old daughter. He asked me to check it out to make sure it was safe. It wasn't, the front engine cradle was so rusty you could pull pieces out of it with your fingers! It was like the metal gets on a burn barrel, the consistency and strength of a saltine cracker!! He traded the car in. Though I remember the first 3.8 v6's that were shaky rattly. I had a few old late 60's Lesabres with 350's that were a really nice smooth engine. I had a 73 Regal with a Buick 350 2 bbl that was a great car, stylish looking too, Brown w tan vinyl top and sport wheels.
Have a good one all!!