The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old February 18th, 2019, 10:57 AM

Jamesbo - Ah, okay. Thanks for bending it from steel-wire. Now i can use that phrase here and bet noone knows it That onion-thing i knew, but never heard the Junian prospective

Redoldsman - Happy to hear the show went that well. Already planned when youre taking your car next time out to show?

Aron Nance - Despite recovering being slow, its good youre still making progress. I have a friend at neurological who got brain hemorrhage, and is living as 95% vegetable. Just 36 y.o.

Allan R - Only problem i have is that theres still snow and ice and i cant get to work

Last edited by Inline; February 18th, 2019 at 10:59 AM.
Old February 18th, 2019, 04:20 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Got home a little while ago, just in time to get Tiger. He's happy to be home, as am I. I wasn't expecting any trouble with the car and I didn't have any. Dan I will remember you are the one with the Aura. I know you sold it some time ago.

Nothing disturbed here while I was away, I'll check out the shop tomorrow after work. I don't expect anything will be disturbed over there, either.

Jamesbo I think Mom's house will cure me of painting. But I'd come up and help you. Get a couple others and you could be Huck Finn.

Aron I'm glad you're progressing. I would go crazy if I couldn't drive the car. That would mean Tiger would have to drive everywhere and he gets distracted easily.

I tell you what I'm beat. Gonna hit the sack early tonight. Hm, and early is upon us. Hope everyone has a good evening.

Old February 18th, 2019, 05:53 PM
Oh no, not again...

Went out and froze my *** off today. We had to hang overpass banners for the upcoming coin show. It's our best form of advertising, its the one that gets the most people in the door. Well, we were supposed to do it last weekend, but it was a little too cold at -40. So today it was around 1.4 F (-17C) and we thought we'd be OK. Man, were we wrong! The wind chill had to make it like it was -40 up there! My hands and feet were frozen solid! I haven't been that cold in ages. My feet are still cold and hurting, and I got back 2 hours ago. We got 2 done, couldn't get the 3rd one because the tie straps kept breaking. They were supposed to be rated at -20 to -40, but I guess they lied, the straps just disintegrated when put together. So we had enough of one type of strap to do 2 overpasses, but not the 3rd one. We'll try to catch the third one next weekend, hopefully it'll be warmer. (yeah, right!)
So Allan, if you see a couple of overpass banners advertising the coin show on the Whitemud, that was me. The next location will be the Sherwood Park Fwy and 50th street. We can't get any on the Henday because it's in a Utility Zone and isn't owned by the City, it's provincial.

Aron, don't let that bother you; I know how it is, when a guy is concentrating on recovering, it's all he can think about. You've got a positive attitude and determination to improve, that's a lot more than a lot of people have. After my knee surgery, I was feeling pretty sorry for myself and worried about the long recovery time and prognosis they gave me. Then they made me walk to the rehab room, and I saw all these people that were around my age or younger in various stages of decrepitude; I vowed right then and there that wasn't going to be one of them! I got over myself and fought back, like you're doing! Keep it up! We're happy to hear and follow your progress back to a driver's license and an Olds!

Not going to do any watches today. Fingertips are still sore and not working right. Think I'll go for a very hot bath, wish I did have a sauna...man, I'd crank that puppy up until it was just about on fire!

Picked up an interesting coin on Saturday; an American (Union) Patriotic Token dated 1863. Fuld #240/337a I think, I don't have a book yet. Anyway, it's got a Monitor on the obverse and "our Navy" in a wreath on the reverse. It was full of verdigris and needed rescuing before it turned to dust. A little bit of lemon juice and it's all cleaned up; now to re-tone it a nice chocolate brown. The nice thing was that it was so ugly it was really cheap, and now the detail is Extra Fine or better, it's actually in really good shape. Also picked up a Prussian Thaler from 1854 that has a guy on it with a worse comb-over than your funny president does. Maybe this guy's the reason (King Frederick-William 4 of Prussia) why they invented the funny pointy spiked hardhat, he'd need it to walk outside in anything over a breeze.

I'm beginning to ramble, time for a hot bath...

Have a good (warm) night everyone!
Old February 19th, 2019, 06:15 AM

mawn'in

Like a cow on a flat rock

Nailhead.So, why in the wide wide world of sports would anyone wanta go to a car show and freeze to death?

Mike, When I saw " paint" it's kinda like saying " move" all my friends disapear

Jouni, I really enjoyed reading a different perspective. Tanks

Have a great day Olds friends
Old February 19th, 2019, 06:33 AM

Wow! Nice and sunny this morning! Looks great! Yesterday took a ride w/buddy and wifey, wore wifey right out- about 50 miles. Good time.. So far I've had only one problem with all the ebay items, and that problem actually was my fault. Still even after the refund, fees, and shipping I got about $360.00 out of the 11 items so I guess it was worth it. Today we are planning to go pick up 2 new recliners we ordered back in December, wife is excited about that... I am enjoying this snow and being able to ride but I sure am ready for spring. Have a good one!!
Old February 19th, 2019, 07:57 AM

Afternoon guys.

Just came home from garage. I thought im short time there, suddenly 6 hours had went and wife started to ask when Mr. is supposed to arrive for dinner
So i hurried to home Been raining WATER whole day, talk about snow melting! Hear me Allan
Rest of the day? No idea. Eating chicken and then killing time until sleep.

Jamesbo - For once we have same weather. I quess difference is, that im really happy about rain, youre not so?

Nailheadcanuck - Any Picture of that coin?

Hmm. I quess thats it for now. Tomorrow i might start to paint my towing hitch so i can install it to my car. What a blasphemy, adding hitch to classic car!
Old February 19th, 2019, 08:23 AM

Jamesbo, Marc was hanging signs for a coin show. I'm pretty sure that it will be an indoor event.
Old February 19th, 2019, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Jamesbo, Marc was hanging signs for a coin show. I'm pretty sure that it will be an indoor event.
Ooooooooooooooooopa, I shoulda put on my specks
Old February 19th, 2019, 09:20 AM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by 1969w3155
Because it says "Oatmeal Stout" on the bottle does not mean it's a breakfast beverage - James.
Old February 19th, 2019, 09:29 AM

Old February 19th, 2019, 11:28 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good afternoon everyone,

Just got back in from curling practice. Ron couldn't make it but Carl did. He's improved a lot from the sessions we've had. I think the difference is because instead of throwing only 2 rocks with variable weight, we focus on controlled delivery at guard, house and then board weight shots. It gives him a much better sense of equilibrium delivering the stone.

Marc - So where are the signs? I come across the East Whitemud from East Henday. There was nothing on any overpasses all the way down to 111 Street. After that I turn off at 122 and head north to the Saville turn into University South Campus.

Jim - That picture feels remarkably familiar.

Incredible but true, it's only -2 here right now so the melt is on. So much calcium chloride on the roads it has no choice but melt in these temps.

Jouni - Wanna make book on Wednesdays game? I'm saying we win by 3.
Old February 19th, 2019, 12:20 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Tragedy has struck the Greater Stockbridge Area. When I got home last night I looked at CO first, then looked at facebook. Guess what I learned. My neighbor, the old guy with the Camaro, died. It was Friday night, and I had just left Friday afternoon. I had no clue, no one called me. He had been in and out of the hospital with pneumonia, and hadn't felt well on Friday so he went to bed. Later in the evening his wife went to wake him and he couldn't be woke up. The paramedics came and tried to revive him but to no avail. I tell you, they need a lesson in lessening the grief of the family, because they told her right at the house he was gone, instead of saying they detected something. Now they have to do an autopsy. Well, the police came and strung crime tape all over the yard, so maybe they think she killed him. Who knows. Her sister and the lot had just gotten into town. Funeral is Friday in New Jersey. I'd like to go but don't think I will.

Work was okay, a little slow. Glad to be back at my desk. It feels like I have some gout setting in, I can hardly walk. Talk about some hateful stuff. Eh, it only lasts about a week. I can tough it out.

Need to make some calls this afternoon then don't know what. Not much, it's raining and cold out and I didn't sleep worth a tinker's dam last night. Hope everyone is enjoying the afternoon.
Old February 19th, 2019, 01:05 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
It feels like I have some gout setting in, I can hardly walk. Talk about some hateful stuff. Eh, it only lasts about a week.
Hate to see anyone experience gout - the rich mans disease. It's exceedingly easy to overcome gout - 90% of gout is strictly diet related. Change your diet. You're eating at the Awful house nearly daily. There's a reason people call it the Awful house. You call it that yourself.
Here's my point. You need to start eating fresh vegetables and fruits. That does not include canned vegetables & fruits which come out of an industrial warehouse where all of the nutrients have been boiled away and the metabolites reduced to mush. Back off on meat consumption and simple processed carbohydrates - e.g. simple sugars. If you drink soft drinks - stop. Drink tea, or anything but soft drinks. Eat complex carbohydrates found in fruits and vegetables. Your kidneys cannot excrete the amount of uric acid building up in your body and the crystals lodge into your joints. Change your diet. Eat your fresh fruits and vegetables.
Old February 19th, 2019, 01:12 PM

Mike, so sorry to hear about your friend /neighbor. Sounds like he went peacefully without a long suffering illness.IMHO those are the lucky ones

I hope I get shot by a jealous husband so I'm cumming and going at the same time

Gout,

Which brings up a question

How come dogs don't get gout?
Old February 19th, 2019, 01:18 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
How come dogs don't get gout?
Canines do get gout, although the majority of canines present gout as a bladder infection rather than a joint infection because (primarily) of differences in body metabolism between canines and humans.

Old February 19th, 2019, 01:23 PM
Running On Empty

I guess you could say (as a very simple comparison), the primary reason men are exceedingly rare in getting a UTI is because of the length of the urethra - much shorter in women, much longer in men. Differences in anatomy (in particular the endocrine system) yield remarkably different outcomes in metabolism between human males & females, as well as between different species.
Old February 19th, 2019, 01:33 PM
Running On Empty

I finished assigning (now) 29 volunteer marshal's to Hole #7 for the 2019 U.S. WOMEN'S OPEN.
The event takes place Tuesday through Sunday (six days). I need two shifts/day (AM/PM) for six days with 10 marshals/shift = 12 shifts x 10 marshals/shift = 120 marshal assignments. Volunteers want to work together, none are available the same days, the same shifts, etc. Two solid days of massive amounts of coffee - done.
Old February 19th, 2019, 01:41 PM
Always room for one more

Thanks Jamesbo. We were pretty close, but funny, I don't feel real cut up about it. I certainly wasn't expecting it, but he hasn't been active in quite awhile. Without any kind of "closure" I suspect at some point things will creep up on me and catch me off guard. It does really suck.

Norm if Tiger got gout he'd expect me to carry him everywhere and wait on him hand and foot. Oh wait, he expects that now.
Old February 19th, 2019, 01:44 PM
Running On Empty

I have a graduate degree in a particularly disturbing scientific field - biochemistry/molecular genetics - which makes the normal person puke with disgust. I worked in empirical research on ONE enzyme (PI3K, Phosphatidylinositol 3 Kinase) for ~15 years - ~90% experimental failure rate (common when you work in empirical R&D). I did some residency work up there in Edmonton (eh), University of Alberta many moons ago (1987). If I come off somewhat obtuse, it's because my mind isn't quite right.

ON EDIT: Some may not have understood my comment (obtuse) other than knowing I'm not quite right. I'm referring to both my mind and a right triangle (which, or course is 90*). Anything outside of being 'right' is considered obtuse. I'm all of that - a little more than 90° and a lot less than 180°.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; February 19th, 2019 at 01:50 PM.
Old February 19th, 2019, 01:45 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by slantflat
Norm if Tiger got gout he'd expect me to carry him everywhere and wait on him hand and foot. Oh wait, he expects that now.
I enjoy your sense of humor buddy. Please, do take care of your diet. It's a very simple thing to do and you'll reap the rewards in so many ways.

Old February 19th, 2019, 01:58 PM
Running On Empty

A guy in another (Indian Motorcycle) forum asked: "Question for the day: Why does hot water clean better? We all know it does. But Why?" I responded - I think he was in disbelief.
His response to my answer: "Check out the big brain on Brad....." ( Pulp Fiction)

I can say I've seen Pulp Fiction only ten or eleven times - hate that movie.
I hope I don't go out like Brad did.....
Old February 19th, 2019, 02:25 PM
Always room for one more

Andy: How can you be so obtuse?

Warden: What did you call me?
Old February 19th, 2019, 09:00 PM
Oh no, not again...

Pretty quiet and relatively warm day today. Didn't do much, went to work, held down a chair for a few hours, that's about it.

Allan, the banners are located on the Whitemud at 106th going east, and the other one is on the 153rd overpass headed west. We'll probably put up the Sherwood Park Freeway and 50th one on Saturday.

Jamesbo, yeah, we're crazy up here, but not that crazy. Yes, it's coins, as in numismatic. It's another one of my hobbies I could bore you guys to tears with. I'm the president of the club, and we have the largest and best attended coin show in all of Canada, and that's not self-hyped BS. Check out the website at edmontoncoinclub.com for more info. You'll also see and be able to access the coin magazine I write for there.

Mike, the best thing I ever did was cut out sugar and booze in my life. My dad suffered from gout, I wasn't about to.

Norm, Cool! So you spent some time in mine and Allan's neck of the woods eh? How long and how long ago were you in Edmonton? Didn't care too much for the winters and had to head south?

Gonna turn in...have a good night!
Old February 19th, 2019, 09:14 PM

Mike, sorry for the loss of your friend.
Andy: How can you be so obtuse?
Warden: What did you call me?
Good film. Norm, ya just confusing me than I already am. Brad just wasn't that smart, so it was lead poisoning for him.
Old February 19th, 2019, 10:48 PM

Good Morning everyone.

Rains.. Yay! Party-time Hmph. Boring day incoming. Painting the towing hitch "thousand" times with rust primers etc. Painting is something i hate. And when you hate something, the outcome usually aint the best it could be.

Allan R - Id say you lose by 2 today

Vintage Chief - Never seen Pulp Fiction here

Okay, have a day all.
Old February 20th, 2019, 03:02 AM

More rain, I'm considering starting to build an ark

Mike, Good luck with the gout,

The only eating advice I have is "If it taste good spit it out, it'll kill ya"

If ya wanta get up a little earlier and drive 2 hours before ya go to werk, I'm sure the Super model would sum company at her 5:30 Cross fit gym. Tiger could stay with me and Red dog and eat sausage and biscuits

Inline , Pulp Fiction is kinda a cult film BUT in my day this was the cult film of all cult films

Speaking of movies . Did anyone know what Andy played over the loud speakers in Shawshank Redemption? It's Mozart's ‘Duettino- Sull'aria. from his most famous opera. The marriage of Figaro

Along with food and golf, I love opera

Old February 20th, 2019, 04:38 AM
Running On Empty

I love Edmonton, Banff, Jasper, Manitoba, Saskatchewan - in the summer (1983, 1987)
Yep, Brad suffered from lead poisoning.
Yearly average of 59 inches rainfall here. Last year we received 108 inches. Soggy bottoms.
Old February 20th, 2019, 06:30 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Beautimus start to the day here at only -7. There's a light dusting of snow (so what's new??? ) to brush off the car before the trip to the Saville.

Jouni - Ye of little faith. I'm going the other way. If we win you wagered a bazillion samolians??? I'll take it in bitcoin

Marc - Nope, nothing there. I checked going both ways. Only banner I saw was one for soccer registration.

Norm - It's changed a lot here since then. The Banff and Jasper parks also changed especially in their campground facilities. Sounds like your moisture level has reached saturation levels. Maybe you should have a boat to use for golfing??

Time to have some toast and get ready. See you later with the results.
Old February 20th, 2019, 08:32 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Morning Guys:
Nothing really planned for the day yet. The sun is shining and it supposed to be 57 degrees today. I think I will finally be able to take Maggie for a walk today. Due to the weather and the back ailment we haven't been in a while. We both need the walk. I am going to get out in the garage and do a little straightening up today. As soon as a get another decent day I need to get the 54 up in the air and change the oil filter adapter and do an oil change. I have the oil and my Wix filters will be here tomorrow from Rockauto. The car came with the old cannister filter and somebody put one of those adapters on it for a spinon filter. It is leaking like crazy. I have the adapter from a 394 that used the spinon filter from the factory. It is one of those nasty jobs that I don't want to do but it needs to get done. I am sure I will still have a few small drips but this will fix the big leak.
Jim, while I appreciate the voices of the opera greats I could never get into Opera. I guess my neck is just too red.
Allan, you are gonna win today.
That is about it from Rowlett today. Hope all of you have a great day.
Glenn
Old February 20th, 2019, 08:51 AM

Glenn, If you were like most American kids you listen to more classical music [unknowingly] as a child than as an adult

http://mentalfloss.com/article/66672...d-looney-tunes

or watch Robet Duval wipe out sum VC
Old February 20th, 2019, 09:22 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Jim, I love a lot of the classical music. It is the opera I have the hardest time with. This is one of my favorites.

Old February 20th, 2019, 09:50 AM

Ah yes, Apocalypse Now, got it on dvd. Well, they are threatening us with freezing rain again, though not to be as bad as two weeks ago. Getting low on magnesium chloride for the walkway. Free lunch tonight at work for sales record. Free lunch for a few of us tomorrow, and a couple hundred bucks for good attendance last year. I posted a pic of a '69 S for sale in my area that looks to be pretty decent for the money. It would be tempting to put my drivetrain into it, but then I would have Cutlass with a W31 transplant and no docs to support it.
Old February 20th, 2019, 12:00 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Slow day. My turn to sign stuff off came in the afternoon, so I sat around all morning and did nothing. Ordinarily I'd help cover wheels and roll them out but with a bum foot I wasn't about to.

Cold and rainy. Sounds like that's going to be the norm for awhile. Got an errand to run today then that's all for being outside.

Marc it sounds like someone stole your banners.

Jamesbo please give Supermodel my regards, and I will encourage her workout from a [long] distance.

I'd like to attempt Awful house but not sure how bad the staff is going to be. Maybe I'll call them and trick them into telling me who's working.

Have a good afternoon everyone.
Old February 20th, 2019, 12:24 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Wed afternoon kind of day

Glenn - I like the way you think! Yes indeed we pulled out a win today. It was close; came to a draw to the button but a win is a win

Jouni - So how do you want to pay up???

Marc - I had a really good look at 106 EB on the Whitemud. Yup the banner is there now. Funny how it wasn't yesterday.

Not nice out. Temp is fine at only -7 but the wind is making it feel much colder. Oh well, I have to take the missus shopping soon as I have something to eat and drink.
Old February 20th, 2019, 07:47 PM

Mike sorry to hear about your friend's passing. Not much new with me tonight, g'night all.
Old February 20th, 2019, 09:06 PM
Oh no, not again...

I used to know one of the extras on that movie, "Apocalypse Now", it was filmed on an island not too far from where we used to live in the Philippines. He said they spent the whole time either drunk or stoned out of their ever-loving gourds. It was the biggest party he'd ever been to in his life, at least what he remembers of it.

Allan, those banners better still be there...now you have me worried.

Other than that, just spent 2 hours of my life that I'll never get back sitting at the vet with a cat that has trouble peeing, good times...Now have to feed said cat oral antibiotics, ...great fun...I hope the cat feels better soon. I hate seeing animals suffer. My clothes budget is going to increase though, that damn animal almost eviscerated me when I tried to feed her the antibiotics.

Other than that, pretty uneventful day. Oh, and it's snowing again, oh joy...
Old February 21st, 2019, 01:31 AM

Like a cow on a flat rock

Nailhead, Once I had success with one of my brides) ^)^_)&)((*_)(+( cats by grinding up the meds putting it in ceram cheese and putting it on his fur. He licked it all off his fur

Gotta go turn the sump pump on in the basement before the water rises up to damage some stuff

Old February 21st, 2019, 06:00 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Colder here this mawnin. So much for a reprieve from the cold. I was going to wash the car today but decided naw. All my cleaning supplies are in the garage and are frozen solid.

Marc - Sorry to hear about your cat. Good luck with the antibiotics. Is it pill form or cream? 2 hours at the vet? That's a long time. Sounds like they're getting as bad as hospitals and medi centers. And don't worry - I'll check those banners again tomorrow. I don't know why I couldn't see it on Tuesday.

Jim - Whut?? Your sump doesn't have a float to turn it on automatically? Never seen one here that didn't. What on earth would happen if you were away and it wasn't turned on? Time to change it out son.

Well today is going to be low key. Last night I got a message from my third. He was taken to hospital yesterday morning and is quite sick. He messaged me that he won't be able to curl for the rest of the season so that means it's pretty serious because he loves the game. I told him to focus on getting better and not to worry about curling. Health trumps everything in my books. I managed to find a spare for tomorrow, and have tenders out to 2 people to fill in for the balance of the season. I'm sad for Ron because he's such a great guy. He had laser surgery done on both eyes last fall because cataracts had made him virtually blind. After that healed he didn't even need to wear glasses anymore. Now this. I'll head out today and get him a get well card that the whole team can sign. His wife plays Lead for me on Friday so I'll give her the card to pass along to him. Don't know if he's receiving visitors yet.
Old February 21st, 2019, 06:30 AM

Trucks I'm interested in are going to be on live auction on Copart tomorrow morning, we'll see how it goes. I have a favorite one but have a limit on it how high I will go on it, There are 2 others I may bid on depending if they auction before or after my favorite, and if I get my favorite I won't bid on the others. I only want one truck. Lots of variables. It's ok I'm retired I've got time. I can bid on some trucks without a dealers license but boy, the fees are high! Sunny morning again today- How Nice!
Old February 21st, 2019, 08:50 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Marc, it is amazing what we do for our animals. They become part of our family. I remember years ago that the cocker spaniel we had for 18 years got sick during the night (a cold and rainy one). I took her to one of those 24 hour clinics. The bill was probably close to $300 and that was a long time ago. It probably wasn't necessary but I wasn't taking a chance. Now we have two dogs and a big cat. We are taking a trip next month to New Orleans with the daughter and two grandsons and will have to board the dogs. I think we spend as much on them as we do on hotels (just seems that way). Good luck with the cat.
It is rainy and ugly her today. I am going to straighten up my office and that is all that is planned so far. I have a couple other errands to run and will probably get those done. Allan, good luck today and Greg good luck on the truck. Hope the rest of you have a good day.
Glenn