The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Old November 20th, 2018, 08:02 AM

mawn'in

Had to run to Walmart to get a new microwave. The one we had went TU

Allan, While I was there, I bought a new Ottawa shirt that actually fits. Think I can pass for an Ottawaeian?

Well My short lived fame is fleeting, I need to rake leaves

Have a great day Olds friends
Old November 20th, 2018, 09:27 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Olive Garden for lunch. The bearing company we buy from brought us lunch and man it sure was tasty. We must buy a lot of bearings because it was a spread.

I peeked around the corner to see outside and the sun was out, but it feels a bit nippy in the hallway. Lunch was a little late and we're almost finished with our work, I wouldn't mind getting out a little early, I need to go move some stuff over at the shop.

So this is Day 20 with the beard. I put on sunglasses in the car yesterday and saw myself in the mirror, I don't even look like me.

Jamesbo you'll always be a star to me. What was the point of showing you backing up in your truck?

Ah, won't be long now. Hope everyone is having a good day.
Old November 20th, 2018, 09:36 AM

Mike, I haven't a clue

When I grow a beard, I look like Che and they won't let me near a plane
Old November 20th, 2018, 05:21 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Good evening everyone,

Yuk, what a horrible loss at curling today. I guess if the lead, second and third don't make shots and the other team does we're not going to win much. Oh well.

I got home and took apart the snowblower and found the slow idle valve right where it should be. It looked ok but I didn't have a tool small enough to get into the brass orifice. I called a buddy who does small engine repairs and he said c'mon over. Of all things, he used a dental probe to clear the jet. Son of a gun! I gotta get me some of those. Anyhow, I got back home, reassembled the unit and tried to start it. No go. Duh....needs gas....then it fired on the first pull. It's electric start but I wanted to make sure the recoil start works too. The engine ran perfectly and I took the choke off after about 30 seconds and it ran just like new. Ok snow - bring it. I'm waiting for ya!

Jim - That would be Ottawan. Gotta get it right. Sort of like calling someone from Georgia a Georgininian? I see they also use the term goober grabbers, Buzzards and Crackers. I have no idea where that comes from. Good luck with your lumber jack shirt. Now ya need a moose to ride, a toque, grow a beard, and drink some maple syrup from de jug.....

Mike - A beard? What did your mom and sister say when they saw you?? Just curious if they had any comments. I hate when beards get to the stage where they itch. My son just trimmed back his beard and stache. Looks pretty good on him.

Getting late, grilled prime rib for supper. Urp. Now to watch the European World Curling match I PVR'd this morning. See ya tomorrow.
Old November 20th, 2018, 05:49 PM
Always room for one more

Well the bacon is done. That is my contribution to the breakfast tomorrow. I thought instead of paying 40 bucks for a bunch of bacon at the Awful house I'd get a couple pounds and cook it myself. Trust me I had a good helper.

My sister said the beard looked good, but little else. My Mom only saw it after the first couple days. She didn't see the point in it.

So this afternoon I went out to the Cutlass to clean it up a little. When I went to start it up the other day and got in it for the first time in weeks, I was greeted with the yucky brown spots of mold all over the vinyl. I have this citrus cleaner and with some paper towels it cleaned up rather nicely. I only did the front seat area then I ran out of stuff. Also, the reason it's so wet inside is the back window is rusted in the channels and rain gets in , and the headliner was literally raining inside. The constant hot/cold was perfect for mold and also tons of sweat inside on the windows. I took the poor fitting molding off the back window and taped it up with speed tape. Doesn't look too bad actually and it's sealed from the rain.

I'm about half way ready for my trip already. Gotta remember to leave the pocket knife at home, or my next message will be from the klink. A couple years ago the TSA was considering letting people bring pocket knives on the plane again, and the flight attendants said they didn't want them and made a stink about it, so still no pocket knives.

Well have a good night everyone. No overtime tomorrow but 4am is still damn early.
Old November 20th, 2018, 07:41 PM
Oh no, not again...

Good job on the interview Jim, who'd a thunk it...now you've given me something to think about. I was content with a 3 ply hefty and into the river, let the good folks in Lloydminster worry about the works when it gets there. Now I have to rethink that...

I can't grow a beard, at my height I'd be mistaken for a tree. It's already a problem with short-sighted dogs.

Waking up at 4? Yeah, did that for 25 years, at least 2-3 times a week. Also stayed up all night 2-3 times a week depending. Raises complete hell with one's circadian rhythm. Mine is completely shot after 30 years of shift work. My body is trying to recover though, now at 11 PM I turn into a pumpkin and am out until 5 AM.

As for flannel shirts, it's pretty much expected that one owns a couple. I've got a few, along with the requisite flannel "stoner coat", which is actually cut like a padded shirt. It's incredibly warm, even though a guy looks like something off a Cheech & Chong movie wearing it. Put on a leather fedora or cowboy hat to complete the effect. I still see guys dressed like that passing around little baggies of something for cash everywhere. When I owned my beat up old Ford pickup it was naturally assumed I belonged to the underclass, bums and hitchhikers would automatically assume I'd stop for them; - and once they got to the door I'd speed off.

Anyway, it was pretty nice day around here, Allan couldn't complain about the weather today, maybe the fact that he had to use a gallon of washer fluid to go to the store, but otherwise, it was actually nice out today. If winter stayed like this, it wouldn't hurt my feelings any.

Adrian, it's amazing that the cops don't make you turn in the pistols for destruction, that's what they do here if it can't be licensed or registered. No one packs one around here either, to get that kind of a carry permit almost requires an act of parliament. Pistols around here are a real PITA, just to fire one requires a gun club membership and a transport permit along with a case locked in the trunk where the gun is broken down to it's component parts. These kind of laws definitely wouldn't fly south of the border...

So that's about it...have a great midweek!
Old November 21st, 2018, 05:07 AM

mawn'in

Nail head, If you're thinking about it, you;re in the 10% that do, Most people make the BIG mistake of never planning squat

Asrian, If that shot gun has a Damascus [twisted steel ] barrel, don't shoot it. It won;t hold up to modern smokeless powder

Mike, Did Tiger help cook the bacon or was he jes a taste tester

So what do you do on a cold day after you've rake up a mountain of leaves, Burn them and stand around staying warm of course

Old November 21st, 2018, 05:30 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Tis Humpday!!

Looking forward to another day in the high 40's. As Marc said, it was beautimus here yesterday and spoda be even nicer today. I don't follow cars like dogs sniffin each other's butts so I don't end up using as much washer fluid. Still, I'm down to only 2 gallons reserve in the garage.

Off to the Saville in a couple hours. Wondering what to make for brekkie. Hahaha, my son is making pizza to go with a big bowl of beef stew..... I have just enough time to catch up some of the ECC I couldn't Finnish last night. (see what I did there???)

Today after curling the Missus and I are heading out to see the new Fantastic Beasts movie. When I stopped in to Best Buy to pick up some printer ink and a micro SD card for my phone I made the mistake of mentioning it to the cashier. She turned out to be a Harry Potter/Fantastic Beasts nerd who can quote verse and theme. I had to tell her to stop talking so she didn't ruin the movie for me.

Marc - In the old days I had some shifts that started at 3:27 so sleeping till 4 was a luxury. Towards the end of my career though when I spent most of my time in Rail Safety I could pretty much choose my hours and 8:30 starts were not uncommon. The sad part about getting older is that I need to go to bed early (around 9 ish) but I end up waking at 5:45 or so.

Last edited by Allan R; November 21st, 2018 at 05:34 AM.
Old November 21st, 2018, 06:48 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

The breakfast was a success. Tiger was indeed the tester for the bacon and he got an extra scoop of food in his dish with some of the bacon grease added. That lasted about 5 seconds. We had a ridiculously low number today and we finished before breakfast and the rumor is we're outa here. I hope we don't have to wait until after 12, that's over two hours from now.

So it looks like I'll have plenty of time to make my 330 flight. That's if I can actually get on the plane. I hear the airport is a mess, I hope too many people aren't headed to Daytona Beach. Haven't looked yet today, but yesterday it still looked good. I didn't think people traveled on the Wednesday, I thought they'd all be in the bars since it's black Wednesday.

Sounds like something is about to happen. See you's.
Old November 21st, 2018, 08:15 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Morning Guys:
I am just getting ready for a pretty busy day. From the multiple ways I have to cook a turkey, I have decided to cook it on the Weber Kettle using my roticery. I received a recipe from Weber for an orange basted turkey. I have never done it before but it sounds awesome and my wife agreed. I will use charcoal with some pecan chunks for smoke and flavor. I will post a picture and give a report on Friday. I worked out in the yard most of yesterday since it has finally dried out enough. I had a lot of stuff that needed cleaning up after the cold killed it. I still have about three piles of trimming and stuff that either need to bagged and taken to the street of limbs that just need to be drug out to the street. They don't know it yet but the grandsons are going to help. Wife and daughter are going to be cooking and baking so it will be a busy day around here. I am doing the turkey and baking a sweet potato pie. As usual we will have more food that we need.
Jim, I am impressed by the video. Certainly you got your 15 minutes of fame. It was really cool. I especially like the part about your neighbors.
The weather is pretty nice here today with blue sky and a high of 60. Tomorrow is supposed to be nice and then some rain on Friday. I am probably going to my last car show of the season on Saturday. It is at a gold club about 30 miles away and it is supposed to be in the 70's and sunshine. Sorry Allan and Marc. Mike, I hope you have a good trip.
If I don't post tomorrow, I hope all of you have a Great and Safe Thanksgiving.
Glenn
Old November 21st, 2018, 09:39 AM

Got the cheesy potatoes ready for work. I'll make up the cheesecake tarts when I get home tonight. If I don't have time to jump on here later tonight, everyone have a safe and "filling" Thanksgiving.
Old November 21st, 2018, 12:37 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Humpday afternoon! Yay!!!

Twas meant to be. Another win in the books. Unfortunaltely our lead (first player) only lasted 2 ends and then withdrew due to hip injury. That left us in the lurch of playing with only 3 players. It makes sweeping for line a bit tough so the throwing player has to be really on the broom and proper weight to make the shot work. We were up 1 going home without the hammer; then the guards up front came into play and I snuck a rock in behind cover onto the button. The opposing skip tried to run one of his rocks back but ended up having his rock overcurl and double tapping us into the rings, dead buried for the guaranteed win. Competitive but fun curling. That's how I like it.

Mike - Safe travels.

Dan - Got a picture of those cheesy taters? Are the mashed or did you do em like scalloped taters?

Glenn - good luck with the rotisserie and cooking the bird. Don't feel bad about your weather. We're in heaven here right now - it's a very pleasant 48° and might even get above 50 by 3:00 pm!!

Time for some lunch and then get ready to head out to the theatre
Old November 21st, 2018, 12:51 PM

I think it's time fer a quote from m,y dear mother

"It;s not what cha eat between Thanksgiving and New Years day that's the problem. It what cha eat between New Years day and Thanksgiving"

Happy T=day Olds friends
Old November 21st, 2018, 01:35 PM

Morning all, bloody hot yesterday, up to 32 with humidity at nearly 100%
Thanks for the tip Jim. I didn't plan on even trying to find ammo for it anytime soon. I've googled it and as far as I can tell it's only in the UK of US of A and I'm not gonna wait the 6 odd months to import some as it just wouldn't be worth it.
Marc the weapons are currently at the local police station and they are the ones who told me to try and see if the local dealer would be interested in them. Their not much to look at but he knows a guy who likes to collect all sorts of guns for his collection. That and he said it would be a shame to have them destroyed so he'll give me something for them which is nice of him I think. Over here you don't need to have a transport permit when you go to the range, for any of your guns as long as they are unloaded, bolt removed and for long guns out of sight but pistols have to be locked in a secure box in the vehicle. Having a handgun over here is a real PIB as you need to be in 3 registered shooting comps every year or they will revoke your license and make you sell your handguns.
Time to get ready to head south for a couple days, have a good one everybody,
Adrian
Old November 21st, 2018, 04:33 PM
Oh no, not again...

Good day to be outside again; - as Allan says, every day like this is almost heavenly. Hopefully it lasts for a while longer.

Adrian, yeah, they make it tough to own handguns here too, not quite as tough, you have to be a member of a club but you don't have to compete. Most clubs have secure lockers so the gun can stay there once it's transported. Otherwise it's a permit from the police and in a strongbox broken down. Good thing your cops over there at least appreciate an old or a vintage gun should be saved; here it would vanish into the "system" and never see the light of day again. Around here if you own a gun the government and the police tend to look at you as just one step removed from a criminal; down east the stigma is such that we're viewed as gun-totin' trash-takin' rubes who haven't got a clue in our heads about how the real world (according to their way of thinking) is supposed to run. I'll stop this at that...
As for the antique long gun, yeah, just mount it on a mantleplace or a wall, that thing shouldn't ever have live ammo in it anymore. I'm pretty leery of 100 year old guns, we had one at the museum I worked with that was 120 years old and still had a round in the chamber when we got it; - that was an interesting few minutes extracting that shell!
Old November 21st, 2018, 07:57 PM

Good early morning from work to everyone.

Just thought to drop here to wish you all US and Canadien (?) guys happy thanksgiving!

Its under zero-temps here now continuosly, so i might be off from work in two-three weeks. Until then, working "around the clock".

But happy thanksgiving and see you soon!
Old November 21st, 2018, 11:19 PM

Hey Jouni, there you are. Allan...urp. Hash brown style, made with colby-jack and Vermont white sharp cheddar, sour cream 'n saut'eed onions. You can get black powder shells for vintage guns such as that around here. I have a now retired co worker who competes with black powder firearms ( number 10 ranking in the U.S.) He shoots a double barrel shotgun and pistols. When I told him that my brother received a double barrel shotgun circa 1894, he wanted to know if it had exposed hammers (what they use in competition) and warned about using the modern rounds in it, it can blow the barrels apart. Around here we are reminiscing about the big blizzard of '78, 40 years ago this year. Well, hell. the link shows up when i put it here, but when I hit "save" it's gone?
Facebook Post

Last edited by 1969w3155; November 21st, 2018 at 11:21 PM.
Old November 21st, 2018, 11:47 PM

There it is. ^
Old November 22nd, 2018, 06:25 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

A very pleasant 36° start to the day. Happy Thanksgiving to y'all.

Jouni - Canada had it's Thanksgiving holiday several weeks back. Good luck with your holiday schedule.

Jim - Dat thing about chebbies is the same on the Dodge and Ford sites. I bermember a Saturn TV commercial a veterinarian put over 700,000 on his Saturn in just over 5 years and it was still going strong.

Dan - Interesting and somber slide show.

Gotta go hurl some more rocks shortly. Trying to play like Niklas Edin with a front end that's not there is such a PITA.
Old November 23rd, 2018, 12:38 AM

Evening all, back from down south now. The weather was way better down there, at least 10 deg cooler.
I transferred grandads trailer into my name yesterday and today I sold it. I also sold the pistols that I found at grandads place to the local dealer which was good. I had since remembered a 3rd pistol at grandads. This one was a starter pistol from when grandad was in theater. I have attached a couple of pics of his starter pistol, he even had a few blanks to go with it so I gave it a go, it was soo cool to shoot that thing. Has a magazine for multiple rounds so I gave that a go while I was at it. Figured it couldn't hurt if they were meant for it lol. If you look closely at the receipt pic you will see that grandad actually bought this gun brand new way back in 1958. Really annoyed I couldn't keep it but with our laws regarding this style of gun there is no way I could have legally kept it. Time for dinner, have a good one ya'll,
Adrian

Old November 23rd, 2018, 06:26 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone.

Hope everyone isn't still so stuffed from yesterday they feel like the turkey...

We pulled out another win yesterday. Curling term for y'all - steal: Taking points when the other team has last rock advantage. We stole points in the first 4 ends, which is tough to do. Then they got 5 because I fell coming out of the hack. I never fall so how this happened is beyond me. Anywho they got 5 points and tied the game with my misfortune. Next end I scored 3 and they decided enough was enough so final was 8-5. A fun game all the way around

Off to the Saville in about 45 minutes so I guess I should look at making some cackleberries and sowbelly.

Adrian - That's so cool! I have all the documents from when I made my purchases too and they're all registered with the RCMP. I looked at that invoice and wondered what that would be in today's market. In Canada that pistol would be around $40, and in the US it would be about $31. Hope no one got excited when you fired it and called the police.

Dr. appointment today to get all my scripts renewed. See ya later!
Old November 23rd, 2018, 11:46 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Afternoon Guys:
I hope everybody had a good day yesterday. We had a great day here with a total of 11 people. I was thankful our granddaughter came since she had not been to our house since Thanksgiving last year. Our son and daughter-in-law came along with her two grown daughters and one significant other. Of course our daughter and two grandsons are here. We had way too much food. My turkey turned out to be the best one I ever cooked I believe. It was orange turkey and a recipe I got from Weber. I make my own rub from their recipe and cooked on the rotisserie on Weber kettle grill for about 3 hours. I put two small oranges on the spit inside the turkey cavity. I made about 6 cuts into the oranges and put a clove into each cut. I used charcoal with apple and pecan wood. The oranges kept the turkey really moist. This may be my permanent recipe.
With the talk about guns you guys are making me glad I live in Texas. Although I have a concealed carry permit, you can actually carry a pistol in your console of you vehicle. They consider your vehicle an extension of you home.
We are going over to my brothers this afternoon for burgers. His youngest son and his girlfriend are here from Cleveland and we have not seen him in about 7 years. He is a little bit of a turd but he is family. Hope all of you have a good day.

Glenn
Old November 23rd, 2018, 04:50 PM
Oh no, not again...

Adrian, that's a neat little pistol!
Those were sold before the war and called "Roehm", ostensibly named after the SA chief I think. They might have been renamed "Perfecta" after 1934, when Roehm manged to get himself killed. A buddy of mine had one, and yes, they aren't legal here either. I last saw that one 30 years ago, so who knows what happened to it. So your Grandfather spent all of about $6.50 Canadian or $6.75 US at the time for it; amazingly cheap!

Congrats on the curling victory Allan! I see you might eventually get an ex-Olympian in your league if he doesn't turn things around. That's about the only thing I remember curling for, was the incredible amounts of alcohol that got consumed. I imagine things are different nowadays though.

Sounds like everyone had a good Thanksgiving. You had turkey, I had Spam, the real stuff, not the internet fluff. It's something I learned in the Philippines, slice and fry up some Spam and it goes well with bread, or rice or noodles. It's a great meat substitute and it's quick. Real poverty food. Wash it down with a couple of beer, and you'd swear you were eating gourmet. OK, you'll just swear...it's an acquired taste, one I developed "over there" in the 70s. The wife and kid were away and I needed something quick and didn't want to go out; it's about the only time I can enjoy a little reminder of my childhood in peace without hearing the complaints.

Not much happening this weekend, probably have to write another article for the coin magazine. The toughest part is getting the first 5 words down, after that it just flows.

Even though Canada Post is on strike my 1868 Waltham pocket watch arrived in the mail. I've always wanted a model 1857 and now I have one, even though it needs some work. I knew this going in; it was a parts movement and I have a period correct case already lined up for it. I have to find a hairspring and an impulse pin for it. Once I've located those little bits and cleaned it, it should run. But it's pretty filthy and I won't know the full extent of the damage to it until I take it apart. From the looks of it, all someone did was wind it up and then aggressively try and swing the balance wheel until something broke, and once the impulse pin snapped he must have then wound out the hairspring to try and add tension or something.I love it when rank amateurs try to a get a gummed up watch running with 3-n-1 oil and a little "gentle persuasion"....
I'll post pictures once it runs. If it turns out to be nothing more than a collection of worn parts, then no pictures. It's going to take me a while to source the parts though, there's lots of stuff available for the later Walthams but next to nothing for the early ones.

Anyway...time to figure out what supper is going to be...no spam tonight.
Have a good evening!
Old November 23rd, 2018, 06:26 PM

Marc, that is so funny about the spam. I love the stuff also. My wife is a excellent cook and uses good ingredients in her cooking. My Mom was not such a great cook but her food was what I grew up with. So I love things like frozen Salisbury steak, spam and braunswager, canned vegetables, etc. I never eat it when wifey is home because I have to hear about how disgusting it is. ( snouts and udders, etc.) But when she is away I eat all that unhealthy stuff.....
Old November 23rd, 2018, 09:46 PM

Uh yeah, spam. used to eat it as a kid, but I just can't bring myself to buy it. I walk down the aisle at the grocery store eyeing it, and wondering if I should try it again, but never do. Well. off to my buddies place tomorrow for the Michigan/Ohio St. game. Not sure if we'll watch another game after or not, this one starts at noon. Sunday will be my last chance to get the leaves out of my yard before the snow comes later next week. The city stops picking up yard waste on Dec.1st, so I better get to it. Marc, I wouldn't mind a vintage car/motoring watch, if such a thing exists. Did they make anything like that before the 1940's, that a blue collar guy can afford?
Old November 24th, 2018, 04:09 AM

mawn'in

We had enough food to feed the cast of Sparticus

Turkey, cornbread dressing, cream corn, mashed taters, broccoli salad, green beans, cranberries, chocolate pie, pecan pie and pumpkin pie/ I'm stuffed

The Super model started her bi decade cleaning and toss. We almost had a killing when she sent the TV remote to Goodwill with sum old clothes

Y'all can keep the Spam, I'm more of a fried bologna kinda guy and used ta eat Vienna sausages when I went hunt'in, I still lie a can of sardines often. They're really good for ya

Old November 24th, 2018, 06:00 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Got home a little bit ago. Caught the first flight out(6am) so I'd have the most options if I needed them, got to the car and was home by 830. I'll go to get Tiger closer to noon so he has a chance to eat his breakfast.

Had a great time at the Turkey Rod Run. I recommend it if you've never been. I'd say there were 1000 cars there, and I know I didn't see everything. Nice weather. Nice Thanksgiving dinner at my friends' house with others there as well.

My Mom and my sister are off to Orlando today for a week, they are meeting the rest of the family for a Disney vacation. They can have it. I don't have any planned time off now so it's 5 days a week for the foreseeable future.

Okay gonna catch up and get things going around here again. Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.
Old November 24th, 2018, 06:16 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Crash and burn yesterday at the Saville. Oh well, another siliver medal is better than nothing.

Spam?? Fried Bologna?? No thankee. I had so much of that stuff growing up I don't care to even think about it. I also don't care for ketchup sammiches either as they were the alternate when no spam or bologna was available. Besides which, that spam product which used to be around 15¢ a can is now close to $2.50 or more for fake meat. Something I couldn't stomach as a kid was head cheese. Now I really like it - especially the fine ground stuff.

Dan - Hahahaha, we've had snow for over a month. Whatever leaves were on the ground are there for voles to munch on. The city here is trying to change the waste collection policy so they don't have to pick up lawn clippings or leaves anymore. Yeah, they say it's the homeowners responsibility to take all that stuff to the dump. I think the little park behind us is going to get wheelbarrows full of grass clippings from us if they follow through.

Marc - That rotating strike is not working for CP. And now JT and his band of cronies have tabled legislation to order them back to work. I just ordered some stuff on line, and thank God they don't use CP. Isn't it funny that stores here don't sell the spices my missus wants, but I can get it on Amazon.ca?? And cheaper too with free delivery. She'll be a happy camper especially since I found exactly what she wanted and ordered it at the same time. She's been looking everywhere for it and the one place that had it was over $22/container. Amazon price was 17.

Adrian - It's right in the range you like here right now at -7°. Roads are in good shape too and yesterday with my gas card I bought regular gas for 91.4°/L!!! You gotta know this won't last though and big oil will start jacking prices again so they can afford executive mansions on private islands where they can land their new executive jets to party with JT and his family. That clown has to go, October can't come soon enough.

Onward to the ECC and watch who will be the new European Curling Champion. It will be a tight one I think. My bet is Sweden and Scotland for the Gold/Silver. I was soooo impressed with Jaap (sounds like yap) van Dorp and team Netherlands handing Finland a 12-2 loss. I've never seen the Dutch curl so well and now he won't finish the round robin without a win!

Had a WTH Dr appointment yesterday. I showed up, the Dr didn't. Fortunately it was for a script renewal and someone else took me in after a 30 minute wait. Time to revisit the Dr availability here and choose someone who's reliable.

I'm going to be updating Brian's thread about his 69 442 restoration Project. Here's a picture of the car in Chicago a week ago. The judges awarded it 995/1000 and were impressed beyond belief that this nut/bolt restoration was done and painted in a garage instead of a high end shop. the color is a factory special order and makes this 442 vert unique as a 1 of 1.

Old November 24th, 2018, 02:48 PM

My favorite year 442
Old November 25th, 2018, 07:37 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Dreary out today. Temp isn't too bad but no sun and everything is muddy. Supposed to be sunny today and all week. I'll take it.

Allan that's a beautiful car. What is the special order paint, from a Toronado, or another division? I wonder whatever happened to that guy that had the Plum Crazy 442. If I remember right he bought it because it was a one of one with the Chrysler paint, then wanted to paint it because he didn't like purple. Hm.

No real plans for the day. I need to get to the shop and get some things cleaned up, but I'm not doing it in the mud and wet grass. Guess I'll just putter around here. It will be an early night because of work tomorrow. I do need to go to Walmart later, what fun.

Okay have a good day everyone.
Old November 25th, 2018, 08:45 AM

Mike, I'm not trying ta tell ya what to do BUT, tomorrow it's gonna get cold

In case ya missed it, Another member has a shepard

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...lowkooler.html
Old November 25th, 2018, 09:31 AM
Oh no, not again...

That is a stunning car; and a tribute to a man's ingenuity and perseverance if he did it all in a garage. So it still can be done.

I do have to write an article today; tough getting going though, basically p---ed away yesterday by troubleshooting a watch. Oh well, I guess I have to knuckle down and just do it, installing a table roller on a balance can wait.

It's Grey Cup Sunday; - and the Eskimos aren't in it; not sure if it's worth watching.
Old November 26th, 2018, 03:15 AM

Tis Monday so I guess I'll put on my mukluks and go smack whitey

Old November 26th, 2018, 08:07 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

Been a busy morning. We started at 5, sort of almost not worth coming in for just an hour, but I did anyway. Didn't sleep real well last night, so it was like a compromise. Got up early but not too early.

Jamesbo my firewood never did dry out, so I have nothing to put up. I wish I had a place to keep it indoors. Luckily the stove is a supplemental source of heat, and not the primary one.

I thought since the sun is supposed to be out today I would do some mowing when I got home. But it's only supposed to be 45* today and I might not want to work outside when it's that cold. Oh how I've become spoiled.

Hope everyone is having a good day. This is it for November. Next week is December and the Christmas goings on get turned up a notch.
Old November 26th, 2018, 08:28 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

A bit cool here this mawnin. Only 20° outside and a bit of breeze which makes it feel a bit colder.

Marc - Did you cheer for the Stamps or are you a dyed in the wool Eskies fan? I don't think that south of the border the Grey Cup means much.

Jim - Golfin in November.. How unique

Mike - Yes, it's Nugget Gold which was an exclusive Toronado color at extra cost. Fortunately this car has documentation that proves it's a special order. The judges were impressed with that. Fremont car BTW.

Just finished washing my broom heads, a bit on the late side, but hopefully they dry by tomorrow morning.
Old November 26th, 2018, 08:51 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Morning Guys:

Well I survived Thanksgiving and most of left overs are gone. I only gained about 2 pounds which is surprising for what I ate. It was down to 32 degrees last night and it is 39 right now with a high of 51 today. We really had a lot of wind yesterday and my front yard is covered with leaves from the two Bradford Pears. They are just getting started and oak tree has barely started. This is the week to get all the Christmas lights up. Now that I am retired I don't have to get it done in two days. I went to my last car show of the season last Saturday. There were some really nice cars there including some very nice street rods and TriFive Chevys. I took a first place in the convertible class but there were not very many convertibles in my class. I did beat a 2000 Corvette that had been rebodied as a 67 and was a very nice car. The buy that owned it had three other cars there and took home a lap full of plaques. The weather was really nice with a few clouds and the temp in the 70's. The old gal was running really great and then I am on the George Bush Tollroad about 12 miles from home and she starts to sputter and dies. I know it is something in the ignition because the tach needle started bouncing all around. When it started I was in a place where there was no shoulder but I managed to get her to the place where there was a good shoulder to pull off on. I called AAA and they had a flatbed there in about 30 minutes. I just joined Triple A this year and it was the first time I had used them. The old gal is sitting out here in the driveway with the cover on her and it is too cold to fool with here today. I suspect the coil has crapped out since the points and condenser only have about 300 miles on them. She is kind of like some girlfriend some of us have had in the past. She sure is pretty but is high maintenance. If she wasn't so damn pretty she would have a new home. As I have told people before, she is in the perpetual maintenance stage. I have some office stuff to do today and a toilet to fix. I guess it is a good day for that since I am not getting out until it warms up.
Allan, that is one beautiful 442. I love that color. It is interesting that you have 20 degrees and Jim is hitting whitey today.
I hope all you guys have a good day and a good week.
Glenn
Old November 26th, 2018, 11:38 AM

AND freezing to death

I shoulda stayed home and washed my broom heads [wherever they are]
Old November 26th, 2018, 11:41 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
I shoulda stayed home and washed my broom heads [wherever they are]
These are what they are Jim. These ones are "Norway" heads. I have the yellow and orange ones.

Old November 26th, 2018, 12:25 PM

So ya sweep Canadian ice with brooms from Norway. Makes perfect sense. Zo, Where do the stones come from?
Old November 26th, 2018, 03:06 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Norway is just the name - it's made by a company called Goldline.
Goldline Curling as you might suspect, is a Canadian company. I also use Goldline Pro. Team Shuster (USA) uses Goldline Air Pro. So do the other teams. Brooms and broom heads in high end curling are stipulated by Curling Rules.
Stones are quarried at an island called Ailsa Craig. It's an island just off the coast of Scotland. They're the only place that has the blue inserts. Each stone weighs in at about 40 lbs and costs between $5600- $7200 per sheet of ice. Not cheap when you consider that each sheet of ice uses 16 of them. At the Saville and Granite (where I curl) there are 160 rocks in play, and about 20 spare. Rocks need to be maintained regularly and that's about 1600/sheet to do. No wonder our fees are so expensive. ;(

Search this Thread