General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

I am not a happy camper with FlowKooler

Search this Thread

Old November 24th, 2018, 01:12 PM

I am not a happy camper with FlowKooler

So get a load of this, ordered from Summit a new FlowKooler 1775 water pump. Nice and warm here in Dallas this weekend so got to work. This on a 67 400E in my 64 F-85 and has electric fans, PS, A/C. There is not the clearance for removal and installation as a stock set-up. So took it slow got everything out of the way and removed the old water pump, cleaned the front of the timing cover, painted the new FlowKooler water pump, cleaned all the fasteners etc. After lunch time to reassemble, put the hi-tach on and gasket, got it down into position started the top fasteners worked my way around and the last bolt I was trying put on was underneath inlet and it's a 5/16 fastener. Guess what?? The hole was too small in the water pump!!! So I had to take all back apart and of course made a mess ( hi-tach adhesive) on the almost picture perfect installation. Fortunately I have a drill press on a bench and drilled out the hole to 5/16 otherwise I would have returned it for another one. So I ordered another water pump gasket from Summit and will pick up either after church tomorrow or Monday. Going to clean and repaint the pump and call it a day. During the course of 7 years building this car, I have had several NEW defective parts...it's very frustrating I though I would share my Kodak moment with you ...

Old November 24th, 2018, 01:24 PM
71 cutlass convertible

It is always something. Nice looking shepard(?) in the background,
Old November 24th, 2018, 01:41 PM

His name is Zore, he's my best friend. I have always had a German Shepherd in my life.
Old November 24th, 2018, 01:54 PM

Done for the day...

Old November 24th, 2018, 02:45 PM

Beautiful 64. Love the square body 64/65. I also installed a FlowCooler pump. I love it. The improvement in cooling was exactly as advertised. My issue wasn't hole size - it was impeller clearance. One gasket wasn't enough. I had to double up to keep the impeller from "just" touching the front cover. Maybe test fit the pump with your new gasket. Install it and snug it down - give it a spin and see how it feels. - Jeff
Old November 24th, 2018, 02:50 PM

Good idea, thanks Chugger....
Old November 24th, 2018, 03:55 PM

Beautiful Dog. Is that his bed?
Old November 24th, 2018, 05:03 PM

It's mine, he thinks it's his. However he does sleep beside his mom and dad. Thank you for the kind words.
Old November 24th, 2018, 06:01 PM

Rob , read your entire build more than once, as I
am working on a 64 also. I see no mention of the item on driver side bumper. Looks like a shackle. Is it some type of shutoff? Nice dog. I think we all have had a" water pump moment" working on our cars
Old November 24th, 2018, 06:58 PM

Nice car - I think 64/65 are my favorite ones. I saw a review in Summit that mentioned the bolt hole being too small too.
Old November 24th, 2018, 07:17 PM

Flowcooler may need a heads up on your issue. Seems like a quick fix if for them, unfortunately they probably won't recall the ones on the shelf. Nice car, is it raced, noticed the hold downs in the bumper. Nice dog too.
Old November 25th, 2018, 05:13 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

This is good info. I will be looking for another one down the road. I have an older one, I believe the new ones with their new CNC impeller are supposed to clear the timing cover. May be since they are probably not just reworked GMB water pumps is the reason for the bolt issue.
Old November 25th, 2018, 06:32 AM

JMCGHEE- that is actually a BMW tow hook. I saw a 66 Chevelle auto cross car that had one on it. I thought it looked cool so I bought one. I put the water pump on a flat surface and it spun freely. So when I get the gasket I will attempt to get this done. Then I can get go get license plates!! and work on the interior- have issues the back quarter windows will not roll up and down with out falling out of the channel in the pillar-got some new parts. SHIFTBYEAR- good idea I will call FlowKooler tomorrow. Here's a picture of Zore when he was 4 months old. Date on camera is off by a year should be 2013
Old November 25th, 2018, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Chugger
Beautiful 64. Love the square body 64/65. I also installed a FlowCooler pump. I love it. The improvement in cooling was exactly as advertised. My issue wasn't hole size - it was impeller clearance. One gasket wasn't enough. I had to double up to keep the impeller from "just" touching the front cover. Maybe test fit the pump with your new gasket. Install it and snug it down - give it a spin and see how it feels. - Jeff
That was the very first flowkooler design where a small impeller was riveted onto the *back* of the normal impeller.
The current ones use their new billet impeller which is much nicer.
Old November 25th, 2018, 08:45 AM

Nice German shepherd I see you treat your dog like I treat my dog as one of the family.
Old November 25th, 2018, 08:52 AM

My poor dog only has a lake, looks like yours has his own pool
Old November 25th, 2018, 10:58 AM

Before we moved Zore has his own pool and spa. He's a great companion-shop dog. BUT when we built this house we did not sell the other one with the pool. Next year we plan on downsizing and moving back there and do some remodeling.