The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Old June 9th, 2018, 03:23 AM

Good Morning!
Dan, We went to that car show in Cadillac last year- a good time, hope you have fun.
Wife and I just got back from a road trip to Moorhead, Minn. Picked up a rust free top for my F100. Went up and accross the upper peninsula, thru Wisconsin, to Duluth Mn, then thru Minnesota to Moorhead. Also went across the river into Fargo, North Dakota. A nice trip. The alternator went out on our old 02 Ford van and ended up buying one at a Napa store in St Ignace, Mi. and replacing it in the parking lot. Luckily a easy one to get to on top of the engine but cost $170.00. Rest of trip was great, on the way back we took the SS Badger ferry across Lake Michigan. It leaves Manatowac, Wi and arrives at Ludington, Mi. Weather was beautiful. A little pricey at $195.00 for van and 2 people but worth it. Now back home doing some put off spring cleaning... Ugh...
Old June 9th, 2018, 04:38 AM

Headed norte

Enjoy the weekend Olds friends
Old June 9th, 2018, 06:13 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Internet wasn't working this mawnin. My son says it crapped out last night around 10 pm. I wouldn't know as I'm usually comatose by then. I unplugged the modem and router and plugged them back in, now everything works again. Somehow I think I should just do that on a regular basis just to see what doesn't happen.

My son took my wife and I out for Chinese food last night. I enjoyed it but it plays hell with my BG. Unlike in the past, this morning I still feel stuffed.

Spoda be another hot one here today but the morning is really beautiful and there's a gentle breeze so all the windows are open for now. Later on I'll set the AC to run. Weather peeps say possibility of evening T storms.

My garden solar lights weren't working properly so I took them apart and deduced that most of the problem is from old batteries. Rechargeable batteries cost a lot, wasn't expecting that. I charged 8 of them up and those lights seem to work just fine now. I guess I need to buy another 2 batteries so they all will light up. The look quite nice around the garden perimeter.

Gas prices are starting to come down a bit but they're still ridiculous.

Have a wonderful day everyone.
Old June 9th, 2018, 01:17 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Had a good night at work. Shortness of trucks necessitated me riding with my buddy. We always have a good time together. Got a lot of work done. Didn't get home too early. Slept a little too late. Spent too much time at the Awful house. And now it's thundering and looking like rain. Well, inside stuff this afternoon.

Greg glad you had a good trip. What's a long trip without a little hiccup?

There really isn't much going on. Hope everyone enjoys the weekend.
Old June 9th, 2018, 04:00 PM

This rain is sticking around. Hopefully it goes away. Well we have started to look at houses to move to. Closer to school for the kids and work for me. We will see how it goes.
Gas is up around $1.50 a litre around here Allan, still too high
Have a good trip up north Jim.
Gotta love computer issues right Allan, they’re so much fun to try and work out lol.
First day back at work for me. Next week I get the first day off as grandad has to go to the hospital so Tink is taking him and I’m looking after the kids.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend fellas,
Adrian
Old June 9th, 2018, 04:04 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Hey Adrian, send it our way? We could use some drought quenching. Sheesh, I feel bad for your fuel prices. It's started coming down here. I used my corporate card yesterday and was able to get (reg) for $1.08/L. Others are paying around $1.17 - $1.20/L.

I hope your grand dad is ok. Is it a complication on his kidney or just getting checked to make sure the surgery went ok and this is a well visit followup?
Old June 9th, 2018, 09:39 PM

If only I could get gas for that price mate :O
Yeah a checkup to see how he is healing and also he has Gaul stones I think that he needs to get removed as well.
Old June 10th, 2018, 05:07 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning everyone.

And a beautiful morning it is. Some people I know are stopping by this morning on their way to Sarasota. They've never been to my house before and I expect the very old, very trite things that they are sure to say. All about getting work done on my cars, getting them all inside, blah blah. Nice people, hope they don't stay long.

I'm sure you guys don't want to hear this, but roughly taking the current price for a gallon of gasoline here in the Greater Stockbridge Area dividing it by 4, we're paying about .68 per litre. The lowest I can remember seeing it in Australia is 1.37 .

I think the Power Tour came through yesterday. I thought it was next week. I wanted to drive over to see Koda. He's on the tour with his dad in a 72 Monte Carlo. Not a bad ride for a long trip. Saw a little video of a guy I used to work with, Frank. He's got a really nice older Ford pickup that is hopped up pretty good. He's on the tour as well. He's off work on long term disability because of some rare form of arthritis in his joints.

Well Tiger is ready to hit the road. Hope everyone has a good day.
Old June 10th, 2018, 06:33 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Wow Adrian. I knew I could count on you to come through with the rain. We have a nice rain going here that's spoda be here all day/night and tomorrow! Good to hear it's mostly a well visit. I read that medications or simple apple cider vinegar can dissolve them without the need for surgery. At his age, I would think a Dr. would like to explore something non invasive. If they go surgery I'm pretty sure they take out the gallbladder? Anywho, fingers crossed for him to be in good shape.

You're right Mike. Seems like everyone has less expensive gas. To match the Aus and Can price per litre though you'd have to divide by 4.5 (that's a metric gallon) and then multiply by the current exchange rate. With that in mind I figure you're paying the equivalent of $C.92/L The Australian $ is pretty much identical value to the $C. Maybe those people won't say anything and it will just be a nice visit.

Looks like an inside day today. Bummer because I see they have some cars in the boneyard I'd like to play with.
Old June 10th, 2018, 11:44 AM

Went to the car show up in Cadillac, Mi. yesterday, not much of a turnout, probably due to the threat of rain. We had a downpour @ about 9:30 yesterday morning, and rain across a lot of the state, so that would be my guess for the low turnout. They had 400 cars pre registered, but roughly 100 were there at 1:30 when we got there. My favorites were the Ford woody and the '53 Olds 98. https://photos.app.goo.gl/SnKZpUMAwXhdR7fj8

Last edited by 1969w3155; June 10th, 2018 at 11:46 AM.
Old June 10th, 2018, 11:46 AM

Hmm, the woodie is missing from the pics. Fixed!

Last edited by 1969w3155; June 10th, 2018 at 11:52 AM.
Old June 10th, 2018, 11:58 AM
Always room for one more

Well my people were only here an hour or so, it was a nice, short visit. We did go over to the shop because they wanted to see what was over there. I fired up the Deuce and a half and gave them a ride. It was a good ride for the truck because otherwise I would have just started it up and let it idle. Just like the mechanic said not to. Been lollygagging around the house otherwise.

Such a nice day. I'm going to change the transmission oil in the dogmobile and then mow.

Dan my favorite out of those pictures would have to be the Campmobile.
Old June 10th, 2018, 12:11 PM

Haven’t seen gas prices like that since the 90’s fellas. Glad you got some rain Allan. The best visit is a short one right Mike lol.
Second day shift today. This one will be interesting as it’s a Monday and all the “bosses” are around to be annoying
Take care everyone, Adrian
Old June 10th, 2018, 12:17 PM

So, I'm on the way back from the mountains and I pull up next to this red
Rustamg, I look over and it has round speedo, I think "nice 66 but then the tag says 'Joe's 65"

I thought 65 had sweep speedos and 66 had round ones No? Yes?
Old June 10th, 2018, 02:04 PM

Half of the '65 pics that i saw online had round, the rest had sweep. I would need a 'stang expert at this point.
Old June 10th, 2018, 02:29 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Really nice pics Dan. I like the 53, but also the 66 CS. I'm thinking that's the Laurel Mist paint on it? Looks really nice. IDK, but that Jetstar just doesn't look quite right with SSIII wheels. Thanks for sharing.

Jim, found these 2 pictures of the 65 stang dashes that show both versions. The top one is from a GT and tops out at 140 The others only show 120. Somehow I doubt many of them ever came close to being driven that fast. Didja notice the tach on the GT has no redline??

Old June 11th, 2018, 03:19 AM

Mawn'in

Another hot dry one

So much for my [erroneous] theory on how to tell a 65 from a 66 Rustang

Clint, Could you help me out?

Out to smack whitey

Have a great day Olds friends
Old June 11th, 2018, 05:56 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Still raining and blowing. So far over 2" of rain and still more on the way. It's better to get the rain in a steady stream than to get huge downpours. At least this way it's sinking into the ground. Temps here have plummeted and this morning the furnace actually kicked in.

I perdict 46/44 today.
Old June 11th, 2018, 08:21 AM

Allan, I agree on the Jetstar, just don't look right. You may be right on the '66's paint, in person it looked like Lucerne mist (blue), but the pic looks more like the Laurel mist, especially compared to the blue Heavy Chevy behind it. My color blindness may or may not play a role in that remark
Old June 11th, 2018, 08:28 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Morning All:
I don't think I have been here since Friday. Keaton the oldest grandson (15) had the surgery on his left jaw Friday. All went well but he did spend Friday night in the hospital since he was having some breathing issues which could be related to asthma. In any event he came home Saturday morning and is doing very well. He is such a neat kid and has yet to complain. Thanks for everybody's concern.
I didn't do too much over the weekend. I washed windows on Saturday which I hate. I realized I am probably going to have to replace windows in the next year. The current windows are double pane the builder put in 20 years ago. Several are fogging up inside. I was not planning on new windows. We had our monthly meeting of the NTOC yesterday. They move the meeting around most months since the membership is scattered out around the metroplex and this one was as close to us as we will ever have. Next month it is Fort Worth which is probably close to a 100 mile round trip. We will be sponsoring the national meet of the Antique Oldsmobile Club of America (NAOC) next year and are starting plans for that.
Dan, those are some great pictures. I especially like the 59 Pontiac, the 40 Ford coupe and the Woody.
Allan, I can't relate anymore to your temps than you could it being 98 degrees here yesterday. The furnace coming on is unbelievable.
Adrian I hope your grandfather improves. Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Have a good day Olds friends.
Old June 11th, 2018, 10:21 AM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Beautiful here, and a little breeze, so it is really nice out. I should be outside doing something, instead I'm inside just getting going. Went to bed early last night, around 1130, and Tiger got me up at 5. Went back to bed, next time I saw the clock it was 930. I said, still fairly early to get lots done. Looked at the clock again, it was 11. How did that happen? As an aside I feel rather rested.

My neighbor who doesn't live across the street anymore stopped by a little bit ago. It was good to see him. His dad is the guy that got shot by our other neighbor. Anyway he's going to come back in a couple hours and help me with that big cabinet in my bedroom. The painting project will be able to progress.

Glenn I need windows as well. I have big picture windows looking out the back and they are fogging. I think they are going to stay that way for awhile. Glad Keaton is on the mend.

Jamesbo the different dashes must be for different trim levels. One time I thought I wanted a 65/66 fastback, until I saw what they were going for. I'd get a 67 if it were built on the right day.

Adrian ask the bosses a question about what you're doing and they'll scatter fast.

Okay gonna get something done this afternoon. Summit cruise in tonight. Someone remind me to take a picture of that yellow 442.

Have a good afternoon everyone.
Old June 11th, 2018, 12:04 PM

Allan, Your getting good. 47/43
Old June 11th, 2018, 01:17 PM
Just an Olds Guy

The afternoon here has changed the way I see 'wind'. Rain has stopped for today but wind gusts are 45-55 mph. Must be all the pollytishuns got together. and blowing in the same direction.

Glenn - I know what you mean. It was a bit of a shocker that we were at 44° outside this morning. But to be honest I'd rather have it a bit cooler than deal with all that high heat.

Jim - Thanks. You always seem to do better coming home than rounding the front corner. I'm guessing you play the same course all the time?? Have you seen the replacement dash for the 67/8 stangs? They're available in analog and digital. I like them better than the earlier models. BTW, this doesn't make me a blue oval guy.

Dan - IDK. When I go to the car shows, I usually take pics of the cars cowl tags too. That way I can look stuff up when I get home. Funny thing is that on some cars the SS wheels look great, others - not so much. I have 2 sets for my car SSII and SSIII. Both are 14" and I don't seem to have any problems finding tires for them. I didn't realize you were color blind. So do you memorize the position of red/and green for traffic lights?
Old June 11th, 2018, 10:01 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone. Or I guess I could say good morning.

The car show was a bust tonight, as it started raining later in the afternoon and through the evening. So I've spent the evening putzing around the house, doing some computer things, laundry, cleaning, and have just finally sat down to take a break and see that it's almost 1am. Tonight I'm staying up really late so I can sleep in tomorrow for work.

Question for the masses. None of the fence that surrounds my Mom's yard belongs to us. Most of it is falling down and it proves interesting when Tiger is there and jumps on the fence trying to catch a squirrel. And it will prove interesting when her grandson gets older and plays a little more aggressively and runs up against the fence. So, what I plan to do is build the same type of privacy fence right up against the existing fence. Now, I foresee a problem, as the neighborhood has rats, squirrels, cats, and other vermin that use the top of the fence as a throughway. I'm afraid that by building this new fence, the 6-8 inches of space between the two fences will become a space for them to traverse, chew, crap, what have you. Is there anything I can put between the two fences, like giant steel wool(is there such a thing?) that will fill that void a few inches up, and not get chewed up? A shed is going in the corner and will need the same treatment between it and the fence.

Not surprisingly, my neighbor didn't show back up. I called and texted, didn't hear a word. Nice fellow but he's unreliable. He does live closer to me now than he did, so perhaps he'll be around more. I'm still gonna look for someone to help me. It's five minutes, sheesh.

Okay I think I'll have myself a snack and hit the hay. Got a couple errands for the afternoon and hopefully this will be the last days of cabin maintenance for me.

Good night everyone.
Old June 11th, 2018, 10:17 PM

So do you memorize the position of red/and green for traffic lights?
Lights, what lights? All hell no, I just floor it, and close my eyes. I can tell the colors. Once in awhile if I approach a single flashing light at an intersection, I'll check the cross street to see if they have stop signs, but really, not a problem.
Old June 12th, 2018, 04:19 AM

Well first night is underway. Our boiler is down so very little work to be done for now. Running the autoclave we need steam and lots of it, no boiler no steam, no steam no work so here I am having to clean up the yard so I just went and got out street sweeper, work smarter not harder I say bahahaha

So turns out grandad has been admitted to hospital with severe dehydration. We are not happy at all with the whole thing. Hospital didn’t call and let us know his neighbor called us. Hopefully they can sort him out. We worry about him being so far from us it’s hard to get around to see him.

So how many times have you gotten par for the game Jim? Must be a load right

Be careful what you wish for Allan. You asked for rain and now you have it, lots of it

Glad all went well with your grandson Glenn. If he isn’t whining then that’s a bonus.

Time for some more sweeping, take care everyone,

Adrian
Old June 12th, 2018, 04:32 AM

Mawn'in

Elsie came yesterday afternoon with a vengeance

Mike, With all due respect, that sounds like a really bad plan, What if the wind blows the old fence into the new one Seems to me the gap would jes get full of leaves and crap and mice and squirrels would have a hang out until the debris rotten both the old and the new

So no one knows any Rustang experts??

Old June 12th, 2018, 07:37 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Still gale force winds here all night and this morning. My sister is on her way back from France. She sent me a couple messages this mawnin at 03:26 which caused my phone to vibrate and fall on the floor, waking me up. In France that woulda been 11:26 am. I just checked her flight and she's on time. Next leg is from Halifax to Calgary and if the winds here are the same across the country, that plane is gonna use a lot of fuel into a very stiff headwind.

Adrian - You're right. I don't mind the rain mate. Just the wind is a real bugger. Sorry to hear that the hospital didn't let you know about your granddad. How did he get so dehydrated? I can't remember if Tink said he still lived alone or was in assisted living.

I share a common fence on all corners of my property. Makes it easier to only have to maintain 1 side, plus when it needs replacing it's a shared cost.

Jim - Paul (the guy who started this thread) I think is a Mustang guy. But I don't remember the last time he stopped in. I read that Ford is phasing out a lot of their production in favor of trucks, commercial vehicles and 2 car models. Mustang was one of the ones they voted to keep, the other was the Focus Active Crossover (still to be released). The market report also said GM was looking to follow suit.

Glenn - Good to hear that Keaton's mandibular surgery went well. Been there done that. Not a lot of fun, but surprisingly not painful afterwards. Replacing windows is not cheap my friend. Are you going to upgrade to triple pane?
Old June 12th, 2018, 08:32 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Good Morning Everybody:
Mike, I agree with Jim in that it is a bad idea. Although it may not be possible, the best thing is to get the neighbor to split the cost with you. Back to back fences is not a good idea. One to think about is that after you back off the property line a foot or so for a fence, the neighbor can come along and tear their fence down and gain a foot in their yard.
Allan, you are right on the money on Keatie's surgery. He is such a cool kid and has not complained yet. Yesterday was their first day out of school and he was getting a little bored since he can't be outside shooting hoops yet and he can play his horn. He is not really big on video games like his brother. I know the windows will not be cheap and don't know what I will replace them with. Did you do this yet. I guess your concern is keeping the heat in and mine is keeping it out. Interesting.
I did trimming and pruning out from yesterday and cleaned the coils in one of my A/C units. I had let that one slip up on me and it was really dirty. I will do the other this morning. They are side by side but for some reason it is not nearly as dirty as the upstairs unit. I have giant red tip photeamia (spelling ?) that I have to prune today. I planted two of them together at the corner of my house several years ago to serve as a screen and the things grow like crazy. I guess they are doing what I intended for them to do. From there it is probably on down by the lake to do some cleanup there. The grandsons had one of those wooden forts there they used to play in. At 6'2" and 5'8" they have outgrown it. It is getting old and it is time for it to come down. I think it is going to be a job for my electric chainsaw. Then it is drag it out to the street for trash pickup. I am thinking it may be done in stages.
Have a good day guys.
Glenn
Old June 12th, 2018, 10:54 AM

He lives by himself since grandma passed away nearly 3 years ago so I can’t really answer why he was so dehydrated. He knows how to look after himself and is too stubborn to even think about assisted living.

Good luck getting the windows sorted Glenn. Have fun with your chainsaw while you’re at it lol.

Glad your sister is traveling well Allan.

Finally got the boiler up and running here so now we can get back to business.

Take care everybody,

Adrian
Old June 12th, 2018, 12:10 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Glenn, kids will heal a lot faster because they're still in a growth mode. I figure he'll be 90% healed in about a month or less. Lots of high fat milk and high fat ice cream will speed it y
up a lot. Haven't done windows yet, but it's likely to be sooner than later. They cost a fortune up here and we have plenty of them.

Adrian, does anyone check in in him regularly? I do remember Tink saying he is a tough old codger who will probably live to 100. Better check and make sure he has a good supply of Brew so that doesn't happen again.

The lawnmower parts store called and said my replacement auto choke from Kohler is in. Guess I should swing by and pick it up. The install shouldn't be too hard.
Old June 12th, 2018, 02:14 PM

Yes he has friends who drop by at least once a week and check on him and see if he needs a hand with anything. We’ll have to just check on him more regularly our selves as well. Even a phone Call is better then nothing.

Most houses around these parts have single pain windows in them. You only get the double pain if you have more money than sense.

I also have mower issues Allan, mine won’t start. Turn the key and I get nada. Battery has plenty of spark when tested with an old spanner lol but I think it has dropped a cell. Time for a new battery me thinks
Old June 12th, 2018, 03:07 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Adrian, check it with a voltmeter. It might be something else. Then again it might not. How's that for being helpful?
Old June 12th, 2018, 03:13 PM

I’ve had a battery drop a cell on my motorbike. Read 12V but lost the amps from it. Already tried that trick ��
Old June 12th, 2018, 03:40 PM

Adrian, Come on over, I'll supply the werking mower all ya gotta do is mow my cemetery
Old June 12th, 2018, 04:02 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Beautiful out. Got up around noon and ran a couple errands. Now it's time for work.

I guess I'll have to rethink this fence. We've already talked to the guy who owns the fence and he said he isn't doing anything. We can do whatever we want to it but he isn't paying for it.

Jamesbo you might have to rustle up Scot for Mustang answers. I don't know why I think he'd know, but he probably does.

Time to get moving. I really hope the foreman is here tonight so I can get my transfer straightened out. Nothing happens fast around there, unless it's a director's bonus.

Have a good evening everyone.
Old June 13th, 2018, 06:05 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Good morning everyone,

Finally a reprieve from the wind. A beautiful summer type morning here although a tad chilly at 44°.

Jim - so unusual you aren't the werm.

Glenn - Yup, the furnace did kick in again this morning. I think the deal with the triple pane windows is the total insulation and sound deadening. Not that windows have a typically high R rating to start with, but there's value in triple pane windows. For your area I would think they could put some kind of reflective coating on the glass to reflect the heat. It works the same up here in our cold weather. The heat would be contained in the cold months. I believe that for triple pane windows to be installed they have to rip the entire window out because the overall window is much thicker. If you're re-using your existing frames you could probably get away with just replacing the glass which would be much cheaper.

Adrian - building code here is for double pane glass no matter what. I'm surprised that Oz uses only single as that has 0 R value.

Might hit the boneyard later today. Depends on how wet it is out there.

Happy humpday.
Old June 13th, 2018, 06:38 AM

Mawn'in

Allan, At 3:00 a,m, the Super model axed me what time it was [so she wouldn't be late for her 5:30 cross fit exercise.

I thought I'd give someone else a worm turn

Mike, See if el cheapo neighbor won't let you tear down his old pos fence

Headed norte, Going to close on the last lot in the subdivision I built May stop and get me a GT 40 on the way home NOT

Old June 13th, 2018, 08:39 AM

Somehow I think that’s a bum deal Jim, unless you’re paying for my flight

We don’t have any standard rating for windows around here Allan. Single, double whichever you prefer is the case.

Hopefully you can get it all sorted Mike. I’ve been waiting on paperwork for my current position since I got back from holidays, back in February!!!! All it is is the standard operating procedure paperwork which should take about ten minutes to print off our intranet at work. Sometimes the laziest persons get away with murder around here

Smokes over so back to it for me. Take care everybody,

Adrian
Old June 13th, 2018, 04:05 PM
Always room for one more

Hi everyone.

Hot and muggy. Talked with my Mom for a short time this afternoon, they've been having bad storms all day. Hope they end soon. Hope we don't get them.

So I heard through the grape vine that my last day in the department is June 29. I wanted to talk with the foreman before I left this morning but he was with people. I'll see him tonight for sure. We're very short-handed so that's probably why it's so far out. Calling us a depart-ment is accurate. Everyone wants to leave.

Allan I need to take in the junkyard as well. I don't think there's necessarily anything of note there, I just haven't been in a few weeks. Besides it's cheep entertainment.

Jamesbo if I take down the fence and rebuild it, it still belongs to him. I'm trying to get away from that. Of course, if I tear it down and leave it down, then Tiger has twice the amount of room to play. The old man would just have to carefully time when he comes out for a smoke.

Adrian I know what you're saying. There are a few people in the department that seem to get the best breaks but do the least. Eh, won't be long now.

I think I'm about to get into a pickle with the government. I've been waiting weeks for my tax return, and when I saw it yesterday I see that they deposited 10,000 too much. Now I know better than to think I can keep it. They might not notice any time soon, but eventually they will and then they'll want it back asap. And probably bill me for the interest that I'm not even getting. I thought one of Trump's promises was to do away with the IRS. I sure wish he'd hurry.

Okay off to work. Have a good night everyone.

Search this Thread