The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old August 16th, 2011, 09:59 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Gen. Robert E. Lee and flanked by Thomas Jefferson yet another southerner.

That ought to be worth a Cuban stogie
Old August 16th, 2011, 08:52 PM

Good evening.

Had a good day today. Nice weather to be moving a car. The Cutlass went to bodyshop #2 today. Can't wait to see it painted, but I have to be patient.

Sandy, car show schedules seem to vary from region to region. Last summer, I was down in Phoenix. I had the opportunity to go the Scottsdale Pavilions cruise on a Saturday. It was great. But I asked about cruise nights others nights of the week and they looked at me strange. There, it seems like they focus on weekends for cruises. Here, around Ottawa, within an hour drive, there is a cruise night every weekday. But weekend cruise nights don't succeed. I think because most people don't want to go from a car show in the day to a cruise night in the evening.
Old August 17th, 2011, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by GAOldsman
Gen. Robert E. Lee and flanked by Thomas Jefferson yet another southerner.

That ought to be worth a Cuban stogie
GONG

De utter Gawgan statue in de capital in D.C. is Crawford Long.

Each state is spose to have 2. Don't ax me how I know dis But let's see how many of our Olds buddies [and Sandy] can name de 2 folks statues in de capital.
Old August 17th, 2011, 04:43 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Good Morning All!

Gonna be another mild one today with highs in the low to mid 90's.

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
GONG
De utter Gawgan statue in de capital in D.C. is Crawford Long.
Ahh I get it now, I guess I answered for Rocketraider from Vajenia Crawford Long, is one I've not heard of.

Anyhoo looks like we had yet another closed thread last eve due to the pot stirrers. I don't understand why someone would blast a moderator or the administrator of any forum Rules are rules period and taking for granted you got moderated for the wrong reason is a poor assumption. And you all know what assuming does.

I hope everyone has a great day.

Scot
Old August 17th, 2011, 05:39 AM
Cutlass Lover

Morning All!

Soooo.... did anyone else have trouble getting on here yesterday afternoon?? I shut off my computer when I went out to my lawn chair at noon, and when I came back in and tried to get back on this site, "Internet Explorer Can Not Open This Site"!!!! All afternoon. I was upset! I tried through Google and through Firefox too. No luck. Now I'm afraid to shut of my computer today. I didn't even try last night at home. Maybe there was maintenance going on or something??

Anyhow, it's a beautiful fall morning here, lol! 57 degrees and chilly. Sun is out and sky is blue. Very nice morning!! We be cruisin over at Chickafila tonight!

Spent last evening in the garage cleaning the old girl, and pulling moths and bugs out from under her headlight bezels! Lord, the bumper was just covered with all sorts of bugs and guts....

I was reading that thread yesterday about the picture of the chebby engine as the sig pic..... to each their own I guess. I'm not saying any more.

Well CarDesigner.... thanks for the heads up, lol! Now when I move to Phoenix I'll know what to expect. I don't understand it, but I guess every state is different. I guess I'm happy with Ohio in the aspect that we have a shi*load of shows and cruise ins!! There are a lot of old cars in this area.

Well have a great day all!!
Old August 18th, 2011, 05:13 AM

Mawn'in all

Kinda cool dis mawn'in but gonna reach 90 today.

Still so dry, Ya'd have to prime me to spit

Had a family golf out'in at Big Canoe up in de mountains yesterday. Very pretty place about 40 min north of my home.

Yeah Sandy, I had trouble gett'in on so I spent the afternoon play'in Spyder Solitaire

Scot, Crawford W. Long invented ether

Ya'll have a wonderful day
Old August 18th, 2011, 05:44 AM
Cutlass Lover

Morning All!

Cool and sunny again here. Calling for rain chances later today. You can feel the moisture coming back into the air....

Went to the Chick-Fil-A cruise last evening. Beautiful night. Nicole and Dave and my grand dog came for awhile. A few more cars showed up.

Talked to Mike (Mr. Mirrored Chebelle) Blues neighbor last night. He and a friend were out and about and saw the cruise and decided to stop. He didn't have his Chebelle, he had his Plymouth turbo whatever it is, lol. New car. Anyhow..... he said he has not stopped by Blue's yet, but everytime he goes by the house, the garage door is down. He said he hasn't seen it up once all summer. Said the regular cars that they drive are sitting there. I told him he better stop and go up and knock on the friggin door!!!! I explained how Blue just left us and we don't know what happened. So we'll see.

Hope they miss with the rain - tonight is Bellacino's night!

I had a traumatic experience with Teepo last night - I need expert advice!! When I started her after the cruise to head home, her gas pedal stuck to the floor - she was reving way up! I had to stick my toe under the edge of the pedal and bring it back up. Luckily my friend Ed (he brought his Javelin In Progress) was still there and parked next to me. I told him something was wrong and showed him the gas pedal - he said he thought I was reving her on purpose - I said I never rev her like that, especially when I start her. So he pulled the air cleaner off and saw that the spring was gone from that linkage. Now I don't know what all this crap is called mind you, so bear with me! Anyhow, he found the spring laying up there, and the bent end was broken off, so he re-bent it with pliers and hooked it back up. Now my question is, and he didn't know either:

There are 2 holes to put that spring in. Is it supposed to be in the second hole on that front thing, or the first hole? I'm gonna go down to NAPA at noon and get another one. I took these pics when I got home and back in the garage. Flashlight in one hand, camera in the other, lol! So tell me how the spring is supposed to be in there, please!!!

I was traumatized, I'll tell ya, lol! Nothing like that has ever happened to me and I was scared!! Thank God I wasn't driving when it broke. I wouldn't have liked that.

Have a great day all, and I appreciate your help!

Attachment 180661

Attachment 180662
Old August 18th, 2011, 05:47 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Good Morning All

Like Jamesbo said about the weather plus about 5 degrees.

Thank for the info on C.W. Long, I guess he was a savior to many back in the day. If you had to loose a limb before gangrene sat in, I'd much rather be knocked out over being too drunk to care

Today is a sad one for me but I'll manage through it. It is my Dad's Birthday, so I'll go down and pay my respects while cleaning up around his plot. I'll have to look for a picture to post of the custom marker I had made for him, it's pretty neat and he would have loved it. Hard to believe it's been two years already since he passed.

Well I hope everyone has a great day.
Old August 18th, 2011, 05:58 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Sandy that is your throttle return spring. Luckily you found it and luckily you wasn't driving at the time it broke. They usually go sailing into oblivion when they break. No worry basically it is there to bring the carburetor back to idle when you release the gas pedal. So if it is not idling too high or higher than it was before it broke, then it is fine. It looks right from the pics but is hard to tell with the air cleaner in the way. I have a blueprint somewhere I'll scan for you for proper placement.
Old August 18th, 2011, 05:58 AM

Sandy,

My bud Donny has 2 springs on his [just in case]

As to which hole to put it in ?

I wouldn't touch that line with a 10 foot pole.

Seriouslly, I'll go check in a while

Scot,

Sorry for your loss. My Dad's is next month. About every day, I tell myself " Wish I had paid more attention to his advice." He was a child of the depression.
Old August 18th, 2011, 06:10 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Try this Sandy on page 8 & 9

http://wildaboutcarsonline.com/membe...Section_6F.pdf
Old August 18th, 2011, 06:51 AM
Cutlass Lover

Scot.... Hang in there!! I'm sorry it's a bad day for you. I understand. This October will be 5 years since my mom died. Her birthday is in November. I always go to the cemetery after work that day, and it's usually rainy and gloomy and cold and dark. It sucks!! I sure miss her and wish she was here to bitch at her grand daughter, like she used to do to me, lol!

Thanks for that diagram - I looked at it, but still am not sure it's in the right holes. The spring is shorter now too, since the hook piece broke off and Ed bent what was left of it. So I don't know. I thought she idled a little high on the way home, but it could have been me. I was nervous that it would break again. Maybe I'll move the spring to the first hole on that thing in the front and see what that does. I hate this!!!!
Old August 18th, 2011, 07:03 AM

Sandy,

It's gonna idle high with a shorter spring.IMHO go get another one. If it broke once, It could break again. NAPA has a "universial" Return spring.
Old August 18th, 2011, 07:17 AM
Cutlass Lover

Well I'm gonna go there at lunch. I just don't know which of the holes it should be in on that front linkage thing, the front hole or the back one where Ed put it. Guess there are 2 holes on that back linkage thing too, and he put it in the front hole on that one??
Old August 18th, 2011, 07:30 AM
"Car"mudgeon

A slack spring won't return the throttle back all the way and it will idle higher, a shorter spring would be firmer and should be doing the same thing as the original just firmer. I also suggest getting a spring that is physically the same size un-sprung. I would also suggest using the same "holes" as Ed used, since if you use the back hole the spring could bind and cause the throttle to stick open. Also you may be able to tell where exactly the "old" spring was at now that it is day light by looking for wear on either of the holes. It worried you because the throttle stuck open without a return spring, replace it and check operation to be sure throttle returns to idle stop and check for binding. Done deal no worries. By the way it is much easier to see and work on with the air cleaner off. Again don't worry just be cautious until you get the new spring.
Old August 18th, 2011, 11:23 AM

Sandy,

Listen to Scot, I don't know wth I'm talking about.

He's right/I'm wrong.

Scot, Thanks I wasn't think'in but I get alot of practice say'in That
Old August 18th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Cutlass Lover

Jamesbo.... I knew that a long time ago, lol!!! Except when it comes to cookin! Then you know your stuff! Just kiddin.....

Went to NAPA and bought one of those universal springs. I see one on Year One's website for $5.99. I'll prpbably order it. I'll feel better with what's supposed to be on her, on her! I'll take some pics with the air cleaner off too. Think she'll be ok to drive in the meantime??? I'm scared now.
Old August 18th, 2011, 11:47 AM

Hey Dat's OK, I'm try'in to help too many woman at once.

My ability to multi task is not known fer accuracy. My Super Model is hav'in her exigency de jour at de same time you don't know what hole to put it in.
Old August 18th, 2011, 11:58 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Hey Dat's OK, I'm try'in to help too many woman at once.

My ability to multi task is not known fer accuracy. My Super Model is hav'in her exigency de jour at de same time you don't know what hole to put it in.

It'll be fine Sandy. Don't worry. The spring has a longer straight part that can go in either hole towards the firewall and the other end goes exactly where Ed put it. I think one of the older gentlemen at the counter can be trusted to put it on for you, just make sure he don't scratch the car leaning on it.
Old August 18th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Cutlass Lover

Jamesbo..... you crack me up, lol! This is where Blue would come in handy! I sure miss him.

Scot.... I'm gonna post an older pic I found of her engine, that shows the spring in that first (or bottom) hole on that front linkage thing by the hose from the valve cover. So that means Mr. Ed has it in the wrong hole!! Be quiet, Jamesbo!

These guys at this NAPA here are not nice older fellas. I don't like going in there. The guy that sold me the spring at noon is soooo fat, he probably couldn't bend over the fender, lol! And I interrupted his lunch of Teresa's greasy pizza, lol!

Let's see if this pic comes through. I tried to make it bigger on photobucket, but I'm challenged......

Well it's not as big as I wanted, but you can see it. Under the middle of that hose. See how the spring is in that longer 1st hole? Look at the pics above and Ed has it in that 2nd hole, so that's not right! Now, do you think I can drive her with the old spring in there and not have to mess with this universal one until the new one comes? Or do you think it will break again??

Attachment 180660

Last edited by cutlassgal; August 18th, 2011 at 12:28 PM.
Old August 18th, 2011, 01:05 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Yep you are correct. The back should be either one, which ever is better and not binding. As far as you old spring and will it last? Well I hate to say yes without looking at it personally, but it should really be fine, just inspect it well when you put it in it's correct spots. They break due to stress usually at the bends where they attach and sometimes they break in the coil part of the spring due to rust. Your engine is clean enough to eat off of so I wouldn't worry about rust just inspect it well, put it where it was in your old pic and order the correct one. This is the part # and link from yearone TS697
Old August 18th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Cutlass Lover

Well I think I have a discount code at home I'm gonna look for tonight. Shipping from Year One is $10.89!!!!! Almost $20 bucks for a spring! But she's worth it, lol! Helluva lot cheaper than an accident I reckon!! I'm wantin to go to the Bellacino's cruise tonight, so guess I'll have to drive careful. If it doesn't rain.... it's clouding up out there. I also have shows planned this weekend!! Thanks for all your help Scot! I appreciate it! Hope your day turned out to be ok, and you're feeling better!
Old August 18th, 2011, 02:48 PM
"Car"mudgeon

Try this one at the auto zone near you in Streetsboro. It should work and it is even doubled for extra protection in case one breaks like Jamesbo's friend Donny has. I would compare it to the one you have like I explained before. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=131093_0_0_

I am toughing it out but I'm am very emotional today as expected. thanks for asking though.

By the way where is everyone?
Old August 18th, 2011, 10:30 PM

I bought one of those springs at NAPA, and it was an exact match for the original which I "found" on the intake, where I put it so I would know where it was.
Old August 19th, 2011, 05:00 AM

Happy Friday .. where is everyone at this am ?
Old August 19th, 2011, 05:01 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Good Friday Morning All

Gonna be a little warmer today in the upper 90's with little to no sign of the wet stuff.

Hey Jamesbo, what's for breakfast? I think Sandy has learned her lesson from street racing with Blue's neighbor. LOL Just Kidding Sandy.

I hope everyone has a great day and a safe weekend.

Scot
Old August 19th, 2011, 05:15 AM

She told me to be quiet, Soooooooooooooo I'm be'in quiet.Already had my ears chewed off dis mawn'in.
Old August 19th, 2011, 05:57 AM
Cutlass Lover

Morning All!

Very tropical out here today, 70 degrees right now heading to the 80's. We had some thunderstorms come through around 10ish last night and they went all through the night.

Jamesbo.... you can talk now, lol!!! So what did you do to get in trouble already, lol??

Scott... Thanks for the Autozone link, but I ordered the spring thru Year One last evening. I found my discount code for shipping, so I saved a little money. I'd rather have peaches for that kind of money, lol! Hope you're feelin better today.

Larry put on that universal spring yesterday.... my God is the pedal hard to push now, lol!! Very stiff!!!! It has a lot more coils on it and is much thicker than the original one. It will do until the other one comes though.

Went to Bellacino's cruise last night. My friend Ron, the old guy with the gold 72 Cutlass S saved me a space beside him on the grass! So I took a pic of our cars together, lol. They look cute..... It was a nice cruise. A lot of people left early - think they thought it was gonna rain cause it clouded up some, but it didn't. I won a coupon for a free DQ blizzard.... whoopie!!!!

God I'm glad it's Friday. Brian is really whining cause he had to work this week while Steve was off. Tellin everyone how tired he is and such. Broken record, and I'm tired of hearing it already. I love him to death, but he's such a gurl................

I'm going to a show at a fire dept. tomorrow about 35 miles away. There are 2 re-scheduled shows this Sunday from last Sunday's rain out, and they're calling for T-storm chances this Sunday, so we'll see!!!

Well have a great day all!
Old August 19th, 2011, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by cutlassgal

Jamesbo.... you can talk now, lol!!! So what did you do to get in trouble already, lol??l!
Yes dear, Thank you,
Old August 19th, 2011, 06:47 AM
Cutlass Lover

You're bein a funny shi* this morning, lol!!!!!
Old August 19th, 2011, 07:29 AM

Well, another rainy Saturday forecast, which means that I won't be going to "Back to the Bricks" in Flint, Mi. about two hours away, that sucks, fourth rain out this year, I'm going into the withdrawals.
Old August 19th, 2011, 07:40 AM

Yes dear, Thank you,

She does sound just like a wife doesn't she. Easier to agree then the alternative.

Having a new roof put on the carport today. weather is cloudy but will clear up later. Guess I will drive up to the local cruise in this evening and hang with some friends for a while.

Scot, I know how you feel. I lost my dad in 87. Still think about him a lot. I miss his advice. Now I am the Patriarch of the family who would have thunk it. Family members now ask for my advice, boy are they in trouble
Old August 19th, 2011, 11:02 AM

Well, I was gonna tell de ole joke 'bout how to make your wife make a noise like Flipper,

But I had a "Flash of Sanity"

One of my golf'in buddie's wife has got one in de oven. So we had a nice chat 'bout "emotions" dis mawn'in.

LBJ once said, "Sum times ya gotta be like a mule in a dust strom and jes hunker down til it blows over."
Old August 19th, 2011, 11:06 AM
"Car"mudgeon

LBJ once said, "Sum times ya gotta be like a mule in a dust strom and jes hunker down til it blows over."
I know exactly whatcha mean.
Old August 19th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Cutlass Lover

Yep..... great advice, lol!!!
Old August 19th, 2011, 12:42 PM

My back hurts from hunker-en down. I may never stand up straight again. What with 3 kids, the change of life thingie and her remembering everything I ever done did wrong in the last 44 years I look like the hunch back
Old August 19th, 2011, 01:48 PM

Morning all, day looks like a good one so I won't spend much of it in bed lol, last night shift.

I don't know of this hunker-en down business you all speak of?

Had a nice chat to Sandy last night, midmorning for ya'll. I also had a nice chat to Blue's wife in the morning my time. I know something you don't know

You will now, Blue and Laura are doing fine just been extremely busy with life at the moment. Blue also sold the vista I told Laura that we all missed him on here and were worried about the pair of them. I also asked her to ask Blue to find some time to get on here and say hi again, so we will see

Have a great day everybody, ttyl

Adrian
Old August 20th, 2011, 04:34 AM

Mawn'in all

Hot an D-R-Y

Adrian,

Let me see if'in I can splain sum. Picutre a mule headed into a dust storm. He has to lover his head down so as not to get dust in his eyes, nose etc. So de strom is blow'in over him. It kinda means put your head down and wait til de storm passes.

In dis case we're speak'in of a female storm dat cha can't stop.So ya jest lover your head and let it blow until it blows itself out.

I could [but I won't ] give you a few phrases that I would guarantee to create such a storm.

Pat, I 've found dat de only way to get your wife to forget sum'em ya did way back when is to change wives.

Ya'll have a wonderful weekend.
Old August 20th, 2011, 07:47 AM

Jamsbo,

wouldn't that just be trading problems. May daddy used to say if it f#@ks flies or floats rent it
Old August 20th, 2011, 07:55 AM
"Car"mudgeon

Pat I'd say that is pretty sound advice, although I wouldn't trade my TW for anything, she's too good to me. I'm like Jamesbo when it comes time to hunker down under her storms. What doesn't kill me only makes me stronger.