The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

The *NEW* Good Morning Thread!

Search this Thread

Old December 1st, 2022, 02:45 PM

I painted two sets of wheels using this:

Old December 1st, 2022, 03:17 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Fun71
I painted two sets of wheels using this:

Wow. Just Wow. Never heard of this product & I've spray painted many items in my lifetime w/ various more expensive professional sprayers I've owned. I'm looking into this. Thanks.
Old December 1st, 2022, 03:53 PM
Always room for one more

We use the Preval sprayers at work. They really work nice. The one thing you have to be sure of is the little hose has to be securely pushed into the bottom of the sprayer or it will fall out and into the jar of paint. That will make a mess.

Norm I thought you had chrome wheels on your car, painted to match the body. It sure looks like chrome wheels in the picture.

I tried those codes and nothing happens. When I push call then I get the generic Verizon message, we can't complete your call. And just merely typing in the code it does absolutely nothing. I guess I'll go into the store and ask them. Somehow I'm sure they'll figure out a way to charge me 600 bucks for it.

We're all starting at 4 tomorrow morning. So we are sure to get out early. That's fine, but it's only ever one or two people who want to do it, and it's thrust on the rest of us. If anyone asked me I'd want to go in at the usual time.

Okay time for MASH. Hope everyone has a good evening.

Old December 1st, 2022, 04:04 PM

Norm, can't help with the royalties, and Jack Webb is no longer with us. When we talked about the filet mignon awhile back, I printed your receipe at that time. My buddy used one of those sprayers on the wheels of his '68 442, he said that it worked well.
Old December 1st, 2022, 04:15 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - These are my wheels. I beat up the surrounding painted area which I need to address.

Old December 1st, 2022, 04:30 PM
Running On Empty

Mikey - I thought I sent you simple instructions - simpler than some others I found; but, unfortunately I didn't read the link I sent to you "carefully" - sorry about that. The very first thing you need to do when performing this operation (find signal band) is to turn OFF your WiFi on the phone.

Try this:
  • Turn off the WiFi on your phone;
  • Go into the “Phone” application, as if you were going to make a call, then type in this code: *3001#12345#* and hit the dial button;
  • The page that opens will have a “Dashboard” tab and an “All Metrics” tab. Go to the “All Metrics” tab by tapping the three lines on the top right corner of the menu;
  • You should see a list of options. Under the “LTE” heading, tap on “Serving Cell Meas” to access your LTE signal readings;

Here's the link:
  • https://www.waveform.com/a/b/guides/field-test-guide
Old December 1st, 2022, 04:38 PM
Running On Empty

Boiling down the broth into stock w/ the chicken bones for the soup. I'd rather be eating soup than salad tonight, but that's how it goes - soup + cornbread tomorrow.

Old December 1st, 2022, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Boiling down the broth into stock w/ the chicken bones for the soup. I'd rather be eating soup than salad tonight, but that's how it goes - soup + cornbread tomorrow.
Norm - The salad looks tasty. As for the soup, ya can't rush perfection!
Old December 1st, 2022, 04:41 PM
Running On Empty

Mike - It should work fine. Send me the $600 beans you'd normally Verizon

DON'T FORGET: TURN YOUR WiFi ON when you're done.
Old December 1st, 2022, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by slantflat
We use the Preval sprayers at work. They really work nice. The one thing you have to be sure of is the little hose has to be securely pushed into the bottom of the sprayer or it will fall out and into the jar of paint. That will make a mess.

Norm I thought you had chrome wheels on your car, painted to match the body. It sure looks like chrome wheels in the picture.

I tried those codes and nothing happens. When I push call then I get the generic Verizon message, we can't complete your call. And just merely typing in the code it does absolutely nothing. I guess I'll go into the store and ask them. Somehow I'm sure they'll figure out a way to charge me 600 bucks for it.

We're all starting at 4 tomorrow morning. So we are sure to get out early. That's fine, but it's only ever one or two people who want to do it, and it's thrust on the rest of us. If anyone asked me I'd want to go in at the usual time.

Okay time for MASH. Hope everyone has a good evening.
Hey Mike
Took a look at M*A*S*H for the first time in a long time.
Thanks for the reminder.
Interesting and fun to remember the series. I have you tube tv and some seasons and some episodes included without paying extra. Just started watching season S1 E12. Dear Dad
Take good care

Jim you would appreciate the Jeep reference with Radar in this one

Keith

Last edited by otto72; December 1st, 2022 at 04:54 PM.
Old December 1st, 2022, 04:50 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by Dream67Olds442
Norm - The salad looks tasty. As for the soup, ya can't rush perfection!
Chris - Thanks. The salad was tasty, tators were cooked perfect. Everything's ready to make soup - waiting to see if I need to add a tad cornstarch to thicken it up any as the bones begin to thicken the stock. A tradeoff until I get the amount of liquid stock for the soup fixin's.
Old December 1st, 2022, 04:53 PM

Hey guys,

Might have spoken too soon regarding not having any adverse effects from the Shingles vaccine this morning. When we got back from the doctor and shopping this morning I felt great. So I followed my usual routine and did my heavy cardio workout like I do every Thursday. Didn't feel too bad during the workout. Then I took a shower and took my wife to pick up a table and chair set she purchased. By the time we got home and unloaded, my arm was starting to get stiff and a little sore, but the worst thing is now I'm feeling extremely drained, my whole body aches (like every joint), and I feel generally lousy. That workout so soon after getting that shot might not have been the smartest move I could have made???
Old December 1st, 2022, 04:59 PM

Norm put it in the Frigidaire the Schmaltz will thicken it up and add flavor Those taters look yummy but Id roll them around in a skillet with sum butter to crisp up the edges
Old December 1st, 2022, 05:03 PM
Running On Empty

Chris - The workout "may" have exacerbated the body aches, but it sounds like you're experiencing a very typical localized Rxn to the vaccine. Your immune system has had it's *** kicked into gear at the injection site and the surrounding area - LARGE! Rather than me explain it I've found a good statement indicative of what's happening. You're calling on your lymph system (immune system resides w/in the lymph system) to produce mega amounts of IgG, IgM from B Cells. Anywhere you have lymph nodes and lymph tissue (derived from leucocytes) you're going to hurt. A tall glass of Bourbon helps to reduce thought of the pain - an even taller glass makes the pain go away when you fall to sleep. Hang in there.

Antibodies are produced by B cells (specialized white blood cells). When an antigen comes into contact with a B cell, it causes the B cell to divide and clone. These cloned B cells — or plasma cells — release millions of antibodies into your bloodstream and lymph system
Old December 1st, 2022, 05:13 PM

Chris - The workout "may" have exacerbated the body aches, but it sounds like you're experiencing a very typical localized Rxn to the vaccine. Your immune system has had it's *** kicked into gear at the injection site and the surrounding area - LARGE! Rather than me explain it I've found a good statement indicative of what's happening. You're calling on your lymph system (immune system resides w/in the lymph system) to produce mega amounts of IgG, IgM from B Cells. Anywhere you have lymph nodes and lymph tissue (derived from leucocytes) you're going to hurt. A tall glass of Bourbon helps to reduce thought of the pain - an even taller glass makes the pain go away when you fall to sleep. Hang in there.
Norm - Thanks for the explanation and the encouragement. I usually have zero affects/reaction from vaccinations. When I got the 1st injection in this Shingles series back in September, I felt a little "off" for about 24-hours, but nothing like I'm experiencing now! Hopefully a little (I'm a lightweight with hard liquor) Bourbon, and a good night's sleep, and I'll be good as new in the morning.
Old December 1st, 2022, 05:36 PM
Running On Empty

Uh...don't count on being good as new in the morning. It most likely will last ~2-3 days (on average). There's an obvious reason Shingrix is a two injection regimen. Based upon clinical/research the immune system requires a certain threshold (titer) to achieve a strong immune response. Both injections are 100% identical - one is not greater in volume &/or amount of the attenuated (recombinant) herpes-zoster viral gE protein (the antigen which stimulates the immune response). Obviously, you've read & aware of the precautions: the absolute greatest risk occurs w/in nearly 10' and possibly up to 1 or 2 hours after injection. The greatest majority will be anaphylactic shock (the most serious) and will occur w/in ~10 minutes. BTW, anaphylactic shock is nearly ALWAYS the result of a component of the vaccine "mixture" (solution) and NOT the viral strain itself. Yours is a recombinant so nearly no chance of any response to the actual virus since it isn't a virus. Some strong responses might occur within a couple hours. Those are easy to monitor since a true reaction requiring medical intervention would produce a strong rash somewhere on the body. Headaches, joint paint (lymph system, white blood cells form the immune system e.g. leucocytes), muscle pain are common. Anaphylactic shock and a serious rash are not common and require medical attention.

Last edited by Vintage Chief; December 1st, 2022 at 05:40 PM.
Old December 1st, 2022, 05:47 PM
Running On Empty

Jim - You're a good cook. You're correct about the Schmaltz. You know where the Schmaltz comes from in a stock (not a broth)? Obviously, the bones. You don't need to scoop out the marrow. Most of the consituents which make up osseous (bone) are the same as connective tissue and when heated they melt & will congeal in an elastinization reaction when cooled. Craziness. Something just crossed my mind. You recall (maybe) as we were raised our parents said we could get Ptomaine poisoning? It was a cute term everyone was tossing around. There actually is absolutely no such thing as Ptomaine poisoning.
Old December 1st, 2022, 05:58 PM

Uh...don't count on being good as new in the morning. It most likely will last ~2-3 days (on average). . . .
Obviously, you've read & aware of the precautions: the absolute greatest risk occurs w/in nearly 10' and possibly up to 1 or 2 hours after injection.
At risk of sounding like a dumb **** . . . that would be a Nooooo! After I got both injections, they observed me for maybe 10 seconds and I walked out the door, with no warnings or literature on possible serious adverse reactions. No headache or rash, so I guess that's good, just extremely drained and achy. Guess we'll just how it goes, I'm not worried about it. Appreciate you taking the time and effort to provide all the info though!
Old December 1st, 2022, 06:36 PM
Running On Empty

Headache is fine and often times occurs. Anaphylactic shock or a serious rash is what requires medical intervention. Anaphylactic shock you'll know pretty damn quick - most folks faint, but other symptoms are swollen tongue (can hardly talk), swollen mouth, dizziness, oh you'll know it, most have a hard time even moving.

From my very limited medical (as in practitioning) knowledge, but wealthy immunology knowledge, my perspective is this - if you're aching all over, it's doing its job!
Old December 1st, 2022, 06:45 PM
Running On Empty

Into the Frigidaire O.N. Chicken added tomorrow during a very low slow heat. I had one item on my mind the entire preparation - boiled water cornbread.

Old December 1st, 2022, 06:52 PM

Headache is fine and often times occurs. Anaphylactic shock or a serious rash is what requires medical intervention. Anaphylactic shock you'll know pretty damn quick - most folks faint, but other symptoms are swollen tongue (can hardly talk), swollen mouth, dizziness, oh you'll know it, most have a hard time even moving.

From my very limited medical (as in practitioning) knowledge, but wealthy immunology knowledge, my perspective is this - if you're aching all over, it's doing its job!
Would an ephie pen work if Chris has an adverse reaction to the shingles vac
Old December 1st, 2022, 07:04 PM
Running On Empty

Originally Posted by otto72
Would an ephie pen work if Chris has an adverse reaction to the shingles vac
Absolutely. The hormone Adrenaline (AKA Epinephrine) contained in an EpiPen will immediately begin to lessen (reduce) the effects of Anaphylaxis & reverse the adverse reaction. Bear in mind an EpiPen should only be used during a SERIOUS Anaphylactic shock; which, as I previously noted occurs almost always w/in ~10' of onset. It can take longer, but generally won't occur any longer than 30' to 1 hour from the time of injection. A serious rash without feeling faint, dizzy, and especially w/o a swollen tongue and or swollen mouth is not considered Anaphylaxis. But, if a serious rash develops, an EpiPen would/should not be administered; instead, medical attention should be sought.
Old December 1st, 2022, 07:11 PM

Ok good to know
Old December 1st, 2022, 07:15 PM
Running On Empty

Far, far, far more people (on a daily basis) have an Anaphylactic shock from bee, wasp & hornet stings - sometimes Arachnids (spiders), ticks, mites, etc. These folks routinely carry an EpiPen because at some point in their life they've had an Anaphylactic shock.
Old December 1st, 2022, 07:22 PM

Absolutely. The hormone Adrenaline (AKA Epinephrine) contained in an EpiPen will immediately begin to lessen (reduce) the effects of Anaphylaxis & reverse the adverse reaction. Bear in mind an EpiPen should only be used during a SERIOUS Anaphylactic shock; which, as I previously noted occurs almost always w/in ~10' of onset. It can take longer, but generally won't occur any longer than 30' to 1 hour from the time of injection. A serious rash without feeling faint, dizzy, and especially w/o a swollen tongue and or swollen mouth is not considered Anaphylaxis. But, if a serious rash develops, an EpiPen would/should not be administered; instead, medical attention should be sought.
I once asked a potential girl friend "Thuoose me i'm afraid I mithed thshound a bit thunney but I have an thexthreamleamthly large thonge, would you lick to gettoghther shometime for a coffthee.
Thee called me every day for three monthhhss
Old December 1st, 2022, 07:42 PM
Running On Empty

Before I call it a day, I should clarify a point I was trying to make; and, that is this. Anaphylaxis is a type of allergic response by the immune system. It's pathology is rooted in the science of immunology because the allergic response develops as the result of the immune system responding to an antigen (and antigen is basically anything which is foreign to the body). You develop an immune response as a result of having acquired a foreign item (antigen).

The key term is - shock. Anaphylactic "shock" is what I have been referring to and the medical (and immunological) research is quite explicit in defining the response to Anaphylactic shock. Anaphylactic shock is very serious and life threatening. Anaphylaxis is essentially an allergic response which can be measured in degrees i.e. allergies to milk, lactose, etc. One of the better known types of Anaphylaxis is known as shellfish allergy. In some individuals it can cause immediate life threatening effects - not always, but sometimes.
Old December 1st, 2022, 11:39 PM

Norm, The only thing I remember about food poisoning when I was a pup was my mother went a little crazy during the summer about Mayonnaise. No Tuna or chickens salad in my lunch box because of hot days w/o refrigeration As a starving Boy Scout More than once I've eaten undercooked chicken in my coffee can casserole. [Chicken, carrots, onion, tatters cooked in a metal coffee can] I would think cooking in a metal can was more dangerous than uncooked chicken/.I know the biggest problem was not getting burned checking your food. Back then [dark ages] People we often concerned with eating under cooked pork and getting Trichinosis / Maybe it still happens in India but not around here. The biggest worry was polio not food poisoning. They closed down all the swimming pools
Old December 2nd, 2022, 12:04 AM

Norm It appears Blue cheese dressing is a weakness. Next time make some with Buttermilk, crumbled Blue cheese, a minced shallot a little minced thyme sum mayo, a squirt of lemon and a little white vinegar
Old December 2nd, 2022, 01:44 AM
Always room for one more

Good morning, good morning. It's great to stay up late good morning, good morning, to you.

It appears some people didn't get the memo about starting early. Or they forgot or their alarm clocks don't go back that far. Funny thing about alarm clocks. I used to listen to this guy Zeigler, he called it an opportunity clock. Odd.

So here is something I can't process this early. The guy sitting across from me started out by saying he was going to come over and count all the cars that I have. That turned into he's staying for dinner, and that turned into him saying my Mom would call me an idiot. So I told him to STFU and moved my computer monitor so I couldn't see him. Now he says, I thought we were friends and is going on like I'm the one who started it all. You guys that are retired, you might be on to something.

I've been stung by a wasp twice. Nothing really came of it. I'm so glad I don't have a reaction to that, although that doesn't mean that I won't, just that I probably won't. Never been stung by a bee or a hornet. The wasps around here are orange. Weird.

Well we'll see how the morning progresses. This week went kind of fast. Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Old December 2nd, 2022, 03:01 AM
Running On Empty

Tee-time 8:16am. Less distance on the ***** today.

Old December 2nd, 2022, 03:12 AM
Running On Empty

I've been stung by bumble bees, honey bees & wasps. When wasps nailed me it wasn't one wasp - it was a swarm - I got nailed repeatedly ~10-12 times like a gatling gun. I had hot tuna several times during certain field training activities in basic training from my K-Rations box. I believe I hurled each time. Hot summer days running, swimming, climbing, etc. then to open my box to find tuna the main meal. Barf.
Old December 2nd, 2022, 03:31 AM

Hot summer days running, swimming, climbing, etc. then to open my box to find tuna the main meal. Barf.
Norm - That makes me quesy just reading it! Good luck on the links! Hope ya don't freeze up like the Tin Man in mid-swing!

Old December 2nd, 2022, 03:47 AM

Wasp stings are nasty, I think they affect me more as I have gotten older. Very unusual for me to go a summer without at least one. Last year I had 3 insect nests in one wall of the barn. 2 were honey bees and one yellow jacket. They love the cracks between the blocks. Also had a huge wasp nest hanging from a power transformer at end of driveway- those were the type that are brown and fly with their legs hanging- sorta.
Old December 2nd, 2022, 03:48 AM

Good morning guys,
Went to bed very early last night, shortly after my last post, about 8:30pm my time. Tossed and turned because I couldn't get comfortable because of the acheness, and had a bout of the "chills". Got up around midnight and ate a light snack hoping that would make me sleepy, nope, laid there and tossed and turned until 2:00am. I think I finally nodded off around 2:30 and woke up around 4:00am freezing because Maggie had stolen my part of the comforter. Couldn't stand to lay in the bed any longer so I got up about 4:30. Ugh, what a horrible night's sleep, I feel like a freight train ran over me! Gonna recline here on the couch in a minute and try to catch a couple more hours of sleep before my posse gets up.

Hope you gents have a great start to your day! Mike - Just ignore that Numnut and get out of Dodge to enjoy your weekend and real friends!
Old December 2nd, 2022, 05:28 AM

Norm, How come if you put wet tobacco on a wasp/yellow jacket/hornet sting it stops the pain ? Headed norte
Old December 2nd, 2022, 07:17 AM
Jeff

*raises hand*

I get anaphylaxis from shellfish and poultry. Generally speaking, 2 or 3 Benadryl normally knocks it down when I inadvertently ingest something. I should carry an epipen, but the last time I looked into getting one was when Big Pharma jacked the price up to $500 for one. Nope, I'll just avoid the shells and birds.

Old December 2nd, 2022, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Weezer
*raises hand*

I get anaphylaxis from shellfish and poultry. Generally speaking, 2 or 3 Benadryl normally knocks it down when I inadvertently ingest something. I should carry an epipen, but the last time I looked into getting one was when Big Pharma jacked the price up to $500 for one. Nope, I'll just avoid the shells and birds.
Jeff - That's tough! I know not everyone can afford the same quality/level of health insurance, but I'm surprised that insurance would not cover a substantial portion of an epipen that is literally a life saving drug. I know a couple friends that have "nut" allergies and they have to carry an epipen everywhere they go.
Old December 2nd, 2022, 08:52 AM

I have had it with insect problems at my place and have a jug of this stuff waiting for spring. I intend it to kill ants, mud daubers, wasps, Japanese beetles, and centipedes.

Old December 2nd, 2022, 12:42 PM

Beef vegetables soup with hot water cornbread
Old December 2nd, 2022, 12:59 PM

Beef vegetables soup with hot water cornbread