The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Living in the city where it's do or die.

Search this Thread

Old April 17th, 2017, 07:06 PM

Living in the city where it's do or die.

This post is about working with limitations.

So I'm a city boy based on my geography. But I'm in a country boy at heart. As a child I've visited my great uncle's cattle ranch , Hunted with my cousins and explored on horse back. I've been around real men, strong men who just get stuff done, pure grit.

​​​​But I'm In the big city now and mostly have always been. But somethings just don't leave your heart. I live in LA and have for a while. My mom lives 65 miles away As Well as my grandparents in a desert city called Victorville, most people pass it on the way to Vegas but just keep on driving.

I Live in an apartment in South Central LA. I share a two car garage off a gang infested alley with my neighbor. I have goals with my cars, I have needs to work on cars. Cars relax me, there's just something about being on your back under a car when God just blows the breeze your way and you look up for 30secs and watch the clouds roll by.

My family knows this, they know me.

It's very easy to give excuses why one should not have an old car or work on one, or even build one. But I don't like excuses. They are for lazy people, my Uncles would not let me even if they are not present.

So this is my garage, or my side lol In the corner i have a cabinet with my fluids and small go to tools and parts. I decorated a bit. An engine stand with a small block on it and a cherry picker on loan from some guy on my st.

And then came the wife, I moved her in an my closet full of tools had to go. I contacted my apt super and am now renting a small storage under the staircase for 20$ a month.
Bottom left is my shead. The board on it is because someone tried already to make a big hole in it just to see in. Scumbags
A view in side my storage. Parts and tools. My wife knows not to even try puting christmas lights or an old rug in hear lol.

One a good fun day I'll pull the car out of the space and get some work done ,like yesterday for example I took my 1st piston out of engine in my life, I won't forget the first.

Because no excuses where made.

And to me if I have to walk down the alley with this good old rusty cherry picker for a block I'll do it for 3 more blocks just to get the job done

The drive to my moms and grandfathers house where i have my cars
A view of LA in 1909

Thanks for reading, if your in the similar predicament, post how you get it done

I hope this can motivate some one. Any thing is possible.
God bless U
Ronnie

Last edited by RocketRonnie; April 17th, 2017 at 07:10 PM.
Old April 17th, 2017, 08:21 PM

Thanks Ronnie for the photos and descriptions, you are very determined individual and have great mentors. From the movies and television shows, the stereotyping of South Central LA make many believe there would be no average car lovers and loving families, only gangs and constant crime. Hopefully you can complete the restoration soon so you can it throughout the year, unlike those of us whom have an abbreviated cruising season.
Old April 17th, 2017, 08:24 PM

Thanks for sharing that, Ronnie...shows some really deep dedication to your passion there. Also serves as a reminder to those of us with easier situations to be thankful for what we have.

For a few years I had to rent a garage on the other side of town, then moved to another garage in town for a bit longer. It was a pain in the neck going there without any sort of facilities, and this was before cell phones too. I'm just glad the crime rate wasn't as bad in those areas at the time.

Keep up the good work and positive outlook!
Old April 18th, 2017, 06:55 AM

Ronnie, that's dedication!

Not everyone has a garage to complete their project and some of us that do have "better halves" that use it as storage space!

I've been to Victorville before. I trained U.S. Army soldiers at Fort Irwin near Barstow, CA. Over the weekends I had to get out of Barstow so I drove toward LA and found a hotrod shop and cigar store in Victorville. Cool place.
Old April 18th, 2017, 09:05 AM

Maybe I'm spoiled but why do you stay in a place that you can't trust your neighbors? I know a move is hard thing to do because of family and job attachments but life is way to short to live in a place that has to be boarded up to save your property or piece of mind.It is great you can do what you do but that environment would be a killer for me..... Just a few thoughts from a recluse in the mountains... Tedd
Old April 18th, 2017, 10:25 AM
Administrator

I don't know why anyone would want to live in California at all... just saying.
Old April 18th, 2017, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I don't know why anyone would want to line in California at all... just saying.
It is after all the land of fruits and nuts.
Old April 18th, 2017, 10:35 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

I know how you feel (other) Eric, smart move by the USA to become part of Texas in 1845.........

Roger.
Old April 18th, 2017, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I don't know why anyone would want to live in California at all... just saying.
That's funny but I understand. I been out to Kansas for some time 10 years ago and people were so nice. But the tornados scared the crap out of me. I remember being on the 2nd floor in Kansas when a tornado practice alarm went off I was jumping down the stairs in a flash. I was in the basement in seconds. Every one laughed at me hahahaha

Tedd, mountain life is the life for me. My plans are to move eventually, there are many places in CA that are reclusive that I've been eyeing for some time. I'm very close to my college , when I'm done I'm flying.

Now a day I don't think anyone can trust Thier neighbor. ​
My uncle's have a sayin "never trust no one with your horse, gun or your car"
Old April 18th, 2017, 01:14 PM

But SC is crazy, this is right now. Its 1pm.. just a tuesday. My kids wont be raised hear, ill just bring them up time to time to scare them lol.
Old April 18th, 2017, 01:33 PM
same but different

We all have to work with what we got. I have lots of memories of rolling that cherry picker around on a gravel area, occasionally using plywood to ease it around. At this time I was packed in a 10'X10' shed I called my shop.

When I purchased my current residence I was most exicted about the concrete driveway. A bonus was it has a garage too.

Concrete makes it easier to shovel snow too. That is something you don't have to worry about Ronnie.

I like the country but also don't want to be too far away from convenience. Its a good compromise to be just outside of a little town.
Old April 18th, 2017, 01:44 PM
Administrator

In Ronnie's case he needs to consider work options for whatever future location he decides on after college. The internet as a research tool is something that was not around when I was his age. It kinda makes it easy.
Old April 18th, 2017, 03:57 PM
Olds Fever

Ronnie, with your fortitude, stamina, and positive attitude you will do just fine...
Old April 18th, 2017, 04:15 PM
Hookers under Hood

Ronnie, you have drive with a positive attitude to succeed. Even with obstacles, you can see the pathway to success.
Your ambition will lead the way for you.
Put-r-ther, your doin' alrite!!

Eric
Old April 18th, 2017, 04:16 PM
jfb

hey buddie I hear ya before I bought my house my car was in a rented storage space and a few rented spots so getting things done was a plan with fortitude and stamina for me also. I have been in your shoes and the car stayed with me and through a ex wife also. I also agree with the thinking of anything can be done just plan and save energy money etc where you can. the laziness you speak of also has a sting from others who have this issue they might vandalize your car or finished product when they get jealous remember to protect it and get a well thought out security system with cameras. good luck we think alike. now get it rolling the time is here do not forget the swap meets they will invigorate you also.
Old April 18th, 2017, 07:04 PM

I understand your predicament and I shouldn't complain I live in a completely different world than LA, but it is still California. Today I just saw my wife off at the Sacramento airport, she is headed for Idaho looking at properties in areas we wan't to move to.The longer I live here the differences from what it was to where it is and the direction it is going is such a turn off to me that I'm pulling up 65+ year roots and headed out..... Just my thoughts Ymmd.... Tedd
Old April 18th, 2017, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by jfb
hey buddie I hear ya before I bought my house my car was in a rented storage space and a few rented spots so getting things done was a plan with fortitude and stamina for me also. I have been in your shoes and the car stayed with me and through a ex wife also. I also agree with the thinking of anything can be done just plan and save energy money etc where you can. the laziness you speak of also has a sting from others who have this issue they might vandalize your car or finished product when they get jealous remember to protect it and get a well thought out security system with cameras. good luck we think alike. now get it rolling the time is here do not forget the swap meets they will invigorate you also.
X2

76olds Put'her"ther lol
Well I didn't make this post to toot my own horn nor for complimates but I am truly surprised for all the good you guys have said to me, thanks guys. You all have a great night.
Old April 19th, 2017, 03:46 AM
Lansing built

Ronnie, I admire your fortitude! I work out of my one 1/2 car garage and crushed asphalt drive. I have 2 sheds to keep most of the garage fodder out of the way. But you got live with what you got!

I am lucky enough to live in a small city which is ranked in the Michigan's top 10 safest. I can stand in corn/soybean fields within 2 miles or be at the major grocery store, hardware or auto parts within the same distance.

I will be in your neck of the woods in late July to visit my mother. She lives over in Anaheim.

Pat

Last edited by 1970cs; April 19th, 2017 at 06:10 PM.
Old April 19th, 2017, 05:59 AM
Gary

Ronnie, I worked in Compton for 4 years (during the Watts riots, too) and found a lot of good people like you just trying to live their lives.

Always keep your dreams in mind. Every day, think about how you are working toward them.

I dreamed of living in the country and I made it happen.
Old April 20th, 2017, 05:22 AM

Hey Ronnie, that looks like my garage minus the junk. I work on my stuff in the driveway. One of those "grass down the middle" types that should have been replaced 50 years ago. Glad to see your spirits are up again. Like you I'm somewhat anchored, but would some day like to go north and have the 3-1/2 car barn I've convinced myself will happen.

If you look close you can almost make out the 455 in front of the second hand washing machine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Garage.JPG (2.35 MB, 13 views)
Old April 20th, 2017, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by RocketRonnie
X2

76olds Put'her"ther lol
Well I didn't make this post to toot my own horn nor for complimates but I am truly surprised for all the good you guys have said to me, thanks guys. You all have a great night.
Don't worry, he says that to everyone.
Old April 20th, 2017, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Koda
Don't worry, he says that to everyone.
Lol. I've seen.

Zeeke Thanks for your post and picture. And I do know the grass type the middle ones lol, Jack stands sinking into the sand and all. Nothing can get a man down!

Vc455. Yup, keeping your head down around hear keeps you out of trouble.. congrauation on moving out, I'm planning the same one day.
Old April 20th, 2017, 11:57 AM
delete

Originally Posted by zeeke
Hey Ronnie, that looks like my garage minus the junk. I work on my stuff in the driveway. One of those "grass down the middle" types that should have been replaced 50 years ago.

Same here. Nassau county you have to pay a big premium to get a garage you can do work in. It's led to a mental disorder with me. I got this thing going on that whatever I start I have to finish the same day because a) I'd have to leave the car outside until its done & b) who knows when I'll have time to get back to it.

I pulled my carb off over the winter to get it rebuilt. I had to back the car into the garage (PITA) & take it off with the garage door open.