The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

If bad luck comes in threes,, I'm done

Search this Thread

Old August 18th, 2020, 09:16 AM

Angry If bad luck comes in threes,, I'm done

Yesterday the Miata just quit on the way home and it went to the shop on the back of the AAA truck. I think it is the fuel pump but I had no tools and It was over 100 degrees at the side of the road. While I waited for the truck I noticed smoke in two different locations, one sorta in the direction of my house We had a thunderstorm last night and received more than our share of what we call dry lighting, lots of lightning no rain. always a worry this time of the year. When I was at home I fired up the computer (no pun intended) and checked the Cal Fire site low and behold there were 29 lighting fires going in Butte County, most with no containment. This morning still no containment on the one nearest my place and I can see the smoke of two others from my back deck. Visions of the Camp fire come to mind when the town of Paradise burnt down and it started a lot further away than where this one is going now plus the wind is blowing in my direction.

No evacuation so far but a nervous day ahead I wouldn't be surprised if I don't get a call to bail out of here. Oh by the way I lost my fire insurance when Paradise burnt up.... Tedd
Old August 18th, 2020, 09:56 AM

Bummer!

I hope the fires are soon contained and you don't have to evacuate. Keep us posted.
Old August 18th, 2020, 11:13 AM

Wow, yeah, you don't need to go for a quadruple. Best of luck dodging this one.
Old August 18th, 2020, 01:37 PM
Oldsdruid

Tedd, no one should have to go thru those fires repeatedly like y'all do.

Lightning strike fires are Nature's way of renewing itself. The ones caused by power lines? Blame for those lies squarely at the feet of the environmental and Green crowd. By politically forcing the power companies to invest in green and renewables, money that SHOULD have gone toward maintaining infrastructure has been diverted to appease the greens- with predictable consequences.

It's not only California either. I was in the industry over 40 years and when the greens got some political muscle, HVTL infrastructure in NC went to hell. We're lucky not to be tinder-dry here.

Appeasement didn't work for Neville Chamberlain in 1939 either. There are always consequences.
Old August 18th, 2020, 02:01 PM

We have been in a drought in New England for months.

It has been bone dry with virtually no rain.

Severe fire hazard here due to dry brush.
Old August 18th, 2020, 02:55 PM
Old School Olds

Good luck Tedd. Check in when you can. God Bless.
Old August 18th, 2020, 03:51 PM
Running On Empty

Old August 18th, 2020, 03:52 PM
Olds Fever

Best wishes to you Tedd... Hope you don't exceed the threesome...
Old August 18th, 2020, 05:43 PM

Update,it seems that the Doe Mill fire has had a fire retardant circle put around it by aircraft. Cal Fire doesn't or hasn't gotten a crew and equipment to spare to attend to it as yet.The fire is in a terrible place to fight thick brush and straight up and down terrain. hopefully being put on hold might mean that it isn't as serious a the news is reporting or they are to busy fighting fires in areas that are populated. The town of Oroville has fire very near the outskirts and is threatened much of the resources are being diverted to there.

Just now a jet tanker passed over my house very low headed for the Dow Mill area, I'm about six miles as the crow flies from the fire and with low wind conditions I'm opestistic things will work out OK.....Tedd
Old August 18th, 2020, 05:51 PM
Running On Empty

Old August 18th, 2020, 08:11 PM
Oldsdruid

Beginning to think a lightning strike or gawd forbid powerline spark in a Colorado cannabis field might be beneficial...
Old August 19th, 2020, 08:22 AM

Update.... I think I made it through this one. The fire near me is 65% contained and a couple of aircraft have been working on it, one a jet. I missed the evacuation fun while I was messing around in chico with the Miata. That would have been a pain loading up important stuff just to have to unload a hour later.
Still two fires visible from my rear deck but they don't seem to be doing much hardly any wind and they are about 12 miles away.I should be good as long as the wind doesn't pick up...... Tedd
Old August 19th, 2020, 09:15 AM

Glad that is working out. Stay safe...in so many ways these days.

Well, if it wasn't for bad luck...it would be hard to know just how good the good luck runs really are.