The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Tedd Thompson

Search this Thread

Old July 27th, 2018, 08:41 PM

Tedd Thompson

Is Tedd anywhere near the fires?
Old July 28th, 2018, 04:08 PM

Not the Redding (Carr Fire) but my Cabin at Eagle lake had a evacuation notice. I guess I left there about two hours before they issued it. I knew nothing about it till I got home. Last I herd they had it contained and it didn't look like it was going to be a problem.

Redding on the other hand is in dire straights and I have friends and family who are at the mercy of which way the wind blows tonight and tomorrow.... Tedd
Old July 28th, 2018, 06:34 PM

I was a little early on the containment statement about Eagle Lake. I just got a up date and the evacuation is in full swing. Looks like the Forest Service and fire fighters are short on equipment because of the Carr fire and the fire has spread to 4000 acres. Not all that far from my place but it would take a good/ bad wind to push it to the cabin. I'll know more by tomorrow, it's well insured....... Tedd
Old July 29th, 2018, 07:12 AM

Cabin up date

The fire has spread almost double from last night (now 8000 acres) and still only 5% contained.... https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6048/ I'm not as worried about the cabin as I am about my people in Redding.

On the Redding side of things everything is still pretty up in the air as of this morning. most of the time the aircraft cant fly because of too much smoke and the weird fire created winds changing directions every hour.

My brother-in -law's step kids lost their home yesterday, total loss. A lot depends on which way the winds decide to blow. The wind generated enough force that ti toppled 50 foot trees then the fire came through. Hard to fight something like that.

I'll know more by tonight but I hate to call and ask people how they are doing if they have just lost a lifetime of their possessions... I'll give a update when I know something... Tedd
Old July 29th, 2018, 07:07 PM

Eagle lake update

Not much new here about 8500 acres 6% containment. They are letting people in for 3 hours to get their stuff then leave.

Redding is still a crap shoot depending on the wind .So far no new loses on any of the family or friends of mine,most are housing friends that haven't been so lucky...... Tedd
Old August 14th, 2018, 05:43 AM

Tedd haven't heard from you lately. Everything OK. Saw where the fire bug was caught. I think they should drop the bastard from a helicopter directly in the middle of the fire.
Old August 14th, 2018, 07:10 AM

I'm headed for Redding today to see family. The smoke is suppose to be better today. Most have survived OK and are housing others that haven't done as well. That damn fire is still burning in some areas and could be a problem if a North or South wind should pick up. The temp is expected to be around a 100 degrees today

As far as I know my cabin is OK and maybe next week I will be able to get up there and check it out. The fire had gotten close but as far as I can tell it didn't burn. More news when I know for sure what's really happened, lots of rumors and bad info floating around. Some days the smoke is so thick you can cut it with a knife. I haven't ventured far because of lung issues and there not much I could do anyway..... Tedd
Old August 14th, 2018, 08:25 AM

Take a respirator and don't be a hero!
Old August 14th, 2018, 12:16 PM

This is a bad year, we've got several large fires in Southern Oregon and Northern California. I've heard reports of over 1,000 homes lost in Redding. I hope your family and friends are OK Tedd. We had a transient start a fire in the greenway last month when the wind was blowing hard. It burned 100 acres really quickly! My neighborhood was given an evacuation notice even though I'm over a mile away from where it burned. Its got me thinking about packing some tubs with the things I'd want to grab at a moments notice just in case it happens again even closer to my home.
Old August 14th, 2018, 08:55 PM

Eagle lake update

According to a good source (neighbor) the fire got within 200 yards of my cabin from a area that I hadn't heard that was even on fire. Skated on that one. Sounds like it made its way almost around the settlement of Spaulding Eagle Lake. If the Old man is up to it we may make a run to Eagle lake and check it out

My folks and friends are mostly alright in Redding. The area is still burning out of control in some places but there is a major amount of men and equipment available to help keep it away from homes and out building, that is again unless the wind picks up then all bets are off..... Tedd
Old August 16th, 2018, 04:56 PM

Off to Eagle Lake tomorrow just to check everything out. I'll take some pictures if I find anything interesting.We mostly need to water and to mow the grass so there is a better barrier around the deck. The grass hasn't been watered for about three weeks and everything is powder dry.

Back Sunday, see you guys soon.... Tedd
Old August 19th, 2018, 07:46 AM

Back from Eagle

No burn issues at the cabin itself and the fire did get to about 200 yards of it but was held at that distance or more all around the settlement. The fire fighters did a great job on all accounts.

My only problem was the juice was off for 10 days and the fridge was a liquid mess. Took me and the Old man half a day to get everything back in order. Small price to pay for what could have been a major loss. I have a few pictures but haven't downloaded them as yet.... Tedd
Old August 22nd, 2018, 06:42 PM

Here are a few pictures of my cabin and the surrounding area

A few shots of the Eagle Lake area and my cabin. The fire was all around the settlement on three sides...... Tedd
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0181.JPG (201.1 KB, 15 views)
IMG_0182.JPG (188.7 KB, 15 views)
IMG_0177.JPG (144.1 KB, 13 views)
IMG_0178.JPG (206.2 KB, 12 views)
IMG_0184.JPG (181.4 KB, 12 views)