The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

Growing up in the 60's

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2009 | 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Texascarnut
First muli-engine plane I co-piloted was a good old DC-3.
Can you still hear "nananan-nananan-nananan-nanan-nanan"
Old May 15th, 2009 | 05:11 PM
Geezer

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
Can you still hear "nananan-nananan-nananan-nanan-nanan"
Heh, heh, how could one not? Those old R-1830 radials always sounded as if they were straining to make one more revolution, or maybe they were protesting having to make one more revolution. In some ways it was a comforting drone once you got used to it, in other ways just flat annoying.

Didn't make a lot of sense that the later R-2000s used on the Chance-Vought/Convair 240s didn't have that bad of a drone. Must have been the difference between the 2 banks of 7 cylinders of the R-1830 verses the two banks of 9 cylinders of the R-2000.

Last edited by Texascarnut; May 15th, 2009 at 05:18 PM.
Old May 30th, 2009 | 02:32 AM

I graduated for HS in 1967. I bought a '56 Chevy 210 sedan in '66. Put a bb396 in it in '67 and drove this car to college for several years before buying a used '67 442 for (I think) $2500 (got $900 for the '56). To stay out of Viet Nam you had to keep up a 2.00 GPA. There was a lottery in about 1968 or '69 and they used that to draft folks into the military. I was #294 and they only got up to about 100 or so in the 'lottery draft'. It was an momentous time with the War, Peace Movement, Assasinations, (JFK, RFK, MLK), the Manson killings, etc. It was a fun time for young gear heads with the factory Muscle Car competition. The Muscle Car era ended as quickly as it had started in about '72. Higher gas prices, higher insurance rates and gov't mandated bumper specs killed it. Sold my '71 442 in 1977 for about nothing. However, I have now bought a similar one, painted it the same and now am having fun in 2009, 40 years later. Seems you want what you had as a kid.
Old May 30th, 2009 | 04:05 AM

OK how much do you remember. Get a pen and paper to write your answers down. I graduated in 65 and got 18 correct. Missed #3 & #10

MEMORY TEST! This is NOT a pushover test. There are 20 questions. Average score is12. It will help if you are over 60! This one will be difficult for the younger set. Have fun, but no peeking!

1. What builds strong bodies 12 ways? A. Flintstones vitamins B. The Buttmaster C. Spaghetti D. Wonder Bread E. Orange Juice F. Milk G. Cod Liver Oil

2. Before he was Muhammed Ali, he was... A. Sugar Ray Robinson B. Roy Orbison
C. Gene Autry D. Rudolph Valentino E. Fabian F. Mickey Mantle G. Cassius Clay

3. Pogo, the comic strip character said, 'We have met the enemy and... A. It's you B. He is us C. It's the Grinch D. He wasn't home E. He's really me an F. We quit G. He surrendered

4. Good night David. A. Good night Chet B. Sleep well C. Good night Irene D.. Good night Gracie E. See you later alligator F. Until tomorrow G. Good night Steve

5. You'll wonder where the yellow went... A. When you use Tide B. When you lose your crayons C. When you clean your tub D. If you paint the room blue E. If you buy a soft water tank F. When you use Lady Clairol G. When you brush your teeth with Pepsodent

6. Before he was the Skipper's Little Buddy, Bob Denver was Dobie'sfriend.... A. Stuart Whitman B. Randolph Scott C. Steve Reeves D. Maynard G Krebbs E. Corky B. Dork F. Dave the Whale G. Zippy Zoo

7. Liar, liar. A. You're a liar B. Your nose is growing C. Pants on fire D. Join the choir E. Jump up higher F. On the wire G. I'm telling Mom

8. Meanwhile, back in Metropolis, Superman fights a never ending battlefor truth, justice and... A. Wheaties B. Lois Lane C. TV ratings D. World peace E. Red tights F. The American way G. News headlines

9. Hey kids! What time is it? A. It's time for Yogi Bear B. It's time to do your homework C. It's Howdy Doody Time D. It's Time for Romper Room E. It's bedtime F. The Mighty Mouse Hour G.. Scoopy Doo Time

10. Lions and tigers and bears... A. Yikes B. Oh no C. Gee whiz D. I'm scared E. Oh my F. Help! Help! G. Let's run

11. Bob Dylan advised us never to trust anyone... A. Over 40 B. Wearing a uniform C. Carrying a briefcase D. Over 30 E. You don't know F. Who says, 'Trust me' G. Who eats tofu

12. NFL quarterback who appeared in a television commercial wearingwomen's stockings.. A. Troy Aikman B. Kenny Stabler C. Joe Namath D. Roger Stauback E. Joe Montana F. Steve Young G. John Elway

13.Brylcream. A. Smear it on B. You'll smell great C. Tame that cowlick D. Grease ball heaven E. It's a dream F. We're your team G. A little dab'll do ya

14. I found my thrill... A. In Blueberry muffins B. With my man, Bill C. Down at the mill D. Over the windowsill E. With thyme and dill F. Too late to enjoy G. On Blueberry Hill

15. Before Robin Williams, Peter Pan was played by... A. Clark Gable B.. Mary Martin C. Doris Day D. Errol Flynn E. Sally Fields F. Jim Carey G. Jay Leno

16. Name the Beatles... A. John, Steve, George, Ringo B. John, Paul, George, Roscoe C. John, Paul, Stacey, Ringo D. Jay, Paul, George, Ringo E. Lewis, Peter, George, Ringo F. Jason, Betty, Skipper, Hazel G. John, Paul, George, Ringo

17. I wonder, wonder, who.. A. Who ate the leftovers? B. Who did the laundry? C. Was it you? D. Who wrote the book of love? E. Who I am? F. Passed the test? G. Knocked on the door?

18. I'm strong to the finish... A. Cause I eats my broccoli B. Cause I eats me spinach C. Cause I l ift weights D. Cause I'm the hero E. And don't you forget it F. Cause Olive Oyl loves me G. To outlast Bruto

19. When it's least expected, you're elected, you're the star today... A. Smile, you're on Candid Camera B. Smile, you're on Star Search C. Smile, you won the lottery D. Smile, we're watching you E. Smile, the world sees you F. Smile, you're a hit G. Smile, you're on TV

20. What do M & M's do? A. Make your tummy happy B. Melt in your mouth, not in your pocket C. Make you fat D. Melt your heart E. Make you popular F. Melt in your mouth, not in your hand G. Come in colors

Below are the right answers:

1. D - Wonder Bread 2. G - Cassius Clay 3. B - He Is Us 4. A - Good night, Chet 5. G - When you brush your teeth with Pepsodent 6. D - Maynard G.. Krebbs 7. C - Pants On Fire 8. F - The American Way 9. C - It's Howdy Doody Time 10. E - Oh My 11. D - Over 30 12. C - Joe Namath 13. G - A little dab'll do ya 14. G - On Blueberry Hill 15. B - Mary Martin 16. G - John, Paul, George, Ringo 17. D - Who wrote the book of Love 18. B - Cause I eats me spinach 19. A - Smile, you're on Candid Camera 20. F - Melt In Your Mouth Not In Your Hand
Old May 30th, 2009 | 04:40 AM

I graduated from HS in 1970, well almost graduated....but I finished the year...back in the good old days you only needed grade 11 unless you were going to U.

In the late 60's all the kids at my school seemed to have a rod or cool car and tearing up the streets in front of the school was a daily occurance. No police around to bother us. It was fun. Cars were cheap and easy to work on.

Started off with a 56 Chev sedan in the fall of 68...didnt last long...slid on too much spring gravel and took out my buddies 59 Chev in the rear quarter. Judge took my license away for a month. He didnt have to...car insurance was 500 bucks for 6 months back then and that was with no collision!!! Convert that to todays dollars and getting another car was not an option for a 16 yr old.

I agree that the 60's were the best of times. The early 70's were good but things were changing...maybe we were just growing up. Things were different than they are now. Maybe we just dont see it the same way anymore? The kids are different now...no manners, no respect...you all know what I mean. Its our fault I guess. Video games, too much TV, lack of proper parenting.

Anyway after about 20 different cars over the years I kept going back to my favorite, the 65 Cutlass. A guy a couple of years older than me had a red 65 442 and I always liked how that car was different than anything else around...the only one in town like it...

I have had six over the years and now I have two...a cutlass and a 442 both the same color. I think its time to stick with these and my wife really likes going for rides in the 442. She actually suggested last night that we keep them both and take them to meets as a pair. I think I have her converted...
Old May 30th, 2009 | 08:32 AM

Scotty, Your a lucky man. Cars are not my wifes thing, take em or leave em doesn't matter. One person hobby in my family.

Rdrokit. Missed #10 and #18 not to bad Graduated HS 1964
Old May 30th, 2009 | 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Rdrokit
OK how much do you remember. Get a pen and paper to write your answers down. I graduated in 65 and got 18 correct. Missed #3 & #10

MEMORY TEST! This is NOT a pushover test. There are 20 questions. Average score is12. It will help if you are over 60! This one will be difficult for the younger set. Have fun, but no peeking!

1. What builds strong bodies 12 ways? A. Flintstones vitamins B. The Buttmaster C. Spaghetti D. Wonder Bread E. Orange Juice F. Milk G. Cod Liver Oil

2. Before he was Muhammed Ali, he was... A. Sugar Ray Robinson B. Roy Orbison
C. Gene Autry D. Rudolph Valentino E. Fabian F. Mickey Mantle G. Cassius Clay

3. Pogo, the comic strip character said, 'We have met the enemy and... A. It's you B. He is us C. It's the Grinch D. He wasn't home E. He's really me an F. We quit G. He surrendered

4. Good night David. A. Good night Chet B. Sleep well C. Good night Irene D.. Good night Gracie E. See you later alligator F. Until tomorrow G. Good night Steve

5. You'll wonder where the yellow went... A. When you use Tide B. When you lose your crayons C. When you clean your tub D. If you paint the room blue E. If you buy a soft water tank F. When you use Lady Clairol G. When you brush your teeth with Pepsodent

6. Before he was the Skipper's Little Buddy, Bob Denver was Dobie'sfriend.... A. Stuart Whitman B. Randolph Scott C. Steve Reeves D. Maynard G Krebbs E. Corky B. Dork F. Dave the Whale G. Zippy Zoo

7. Liar, liar. A. You're a liar B. Your nose is growing C. Pants on fire D. Join the choir E. Jump up higher F. On the wire G. I'm telling Mom

8. Meanwhile, back in Metropolis, Superman fights a never ending battlefor truth, justice and... A. Wheaties B. Lois Lane C. TV ratings D. World peace E. Red tights F. The American way G. News headlines

9. Hey kids! What time is it? A. It's time for Yogi Bear B. It's time to do your homework C. It's Howdy Doody Time D. It's Time for Romper Room E. It's bedtime F. The Mighty Mouse Hour G.. Scoopy Doo Time

10. Lions and tigers and bears... A. Yikes B. Oh no C. Gee whiz D. I'm scared E. Oh my F. Help! Help! G. Let's run

11. Bob Dylan advised us never to trust anyone... A. Over 40 B. Wearing a uniform C. Carrying a briefcase D. Over 30 E. You don't know F. Who says, 'Trust me' G. Who eats tofu

12. NFL quarterback who appeared in a television commercial wearingwomen's stockings.. A. Troy Aikman B. Kenny Stabler C. Joe Namath D. Roger Stauback E. Joe Montana F. Steve Young G. John Elway

13.Brylcream. A. Smear it on B. You'll smell great C. Tame that cowlick D. Grease ball heaven E. It's a dream F. We're your team G. A little dab'll do ya

14. I found my thrill... A. In Blueberry muffins B. With my man, Bill C. Down at the mill D. Over the windowsill E. With thyme and dill F. Too late to enjoy G. On Blueberry Hill

15. Before Robin Williams, Peter Pan was played by... A. Clark Gable B.. Mary Martin C. Doris Day D. Errol Flynn E. Sally Fields F. Jim Carey G. Jay Leno

16. Name the Beatles... A. John, Steve, George, Ringo B. John, Paul, George, Roscoe C. John, Paul, Stacey, Ringo D. Jay, Paul, George, Ringo E. Lewis, Peter, George, Ringo F. Jason, Betty, Skipper, Hazel G. John, Paul, George, Ringo

17. I wonder, wonder, who.. A. Who ate the leftovers? B. Who did the laundry? C. Was it you? D. Who wrote the book of love? E. Who I am? F. Passed the test? G. Knocked on the door?

18. I'm strong to the finish... A. Cause I eats my broccoli B. Cause I eats me spinach C. Cause I l ift weights D. Cause I'm the hero E. And don't you forget it F. Cause Olive Oyl loves me G. To outlast Bruto

19. When it's least expected, you're elected, you're the star today... A. Smile, you're on Candid Camera B. Smile, you're on Star Search C. Smile, you won the lottery D. Smile, we're watching you E. Smile, the world sees you F. Smile, you're a hit G. Smile, you're on TV

20. What do M & M's do? A. Make your tummy happy B. Melt in your mouth, not in your pocket C. Make you fat D. Melt your heart E. Make you popular F. Melt in your mouth, not in your hand G. Come in colors

Below are the right answers:

1. D - Wonder Bread 2. G - Cassius Clay 3. B - He Is Us 4. A - Good night, Chet 5. G - When you brush your teeth with Pepsodent 6. D - Maynard G.. Krebbs 7. C - Pants On Fire 8. F - The American Way 9. C - It's Howdy Doody Time 10. E - Oh My 11. D - Over 30 12. C - Joe Namath 13. G - A little dab'll do ya 14. G - On Blueberry Hill 15. B - Mary Martin 16. G - John, Paul, George, Ringo 17. D - Who wrote the book of Love 18. B - Cause I eats me spinach 19. A - Smile, you're on Candid Camera 20. F - Melt In Your Mouth Not In Your Hand
I graduated in '67. I got all of the answers! I promise I did!
Old May 31st, 2009 | 06:59 AM
Geezer

Originally Posted by 442scotty

I agree that the 60's were the best of times. The early 70's were good but things were changing...maybe we were just growing up. Things were different than they are now. Maybe we just dont see it the same way anymore? The kids are different now...no manners, no respect...you all know what I mean. Its our fault I guess. Video games, too much TV, lack of proper parenting.
Naah, the best of times were from 1954-1964. If one was a teen or young adult in that time period they lived "American Graffiti." Didn't make much difference where one grew up it was about the same everywhere. Real hot rods, malt shop/burger joints, drive-in movies, the birth of rock & roll, and drag strips where you could run what you brung. It as all made better for me with a '32 Ford five window coupe (a real one) powered by a 324 Olds with an offenhauser log manifold sporting eight stromberg 97 carbs and running through a LaSalle transmission. What a ride!

Things began going totally to hell with the Vietnam screw-up (I was there) and things were never the same again, and never will be. In the 1950's if a kid screwed up someone might just slap the crap out of them and it might not have been their parents. In smaller towns they'd call your parents up and tell them what had happened and then you caught it again when you got home. Society has gone totally down the crapper!
Old May 31st, 2009 | 07:24 AM

Ok...I have to admit that when I was 16 ( in 69 ) I wished I had been born about 5-7 years earlier and I would have caught all the fun of the early rods...I got the tail end and I guess thats better than nothing. Still those were the best of times...Life is still a blast at 55...More money to play with cars and time coming to travel with them.
Old May 31st, 2009 | 08:27 AM
Geezer

Originally Posted by 442scotty
Ok...I have to admit that when I was 16 ( in 69 ) I wished I had been born about 5-7 years earlier and I would have caught all the fun of the early rods...I got the tail end and I guess thats better than nothing. Still those were the best of times...Life is still a blast at 55...More money to play with cars and time coming to travel with them.
I agree with the latter, but I also realize we are in the twilight time of the car era as it has been. Probably will sound like I'm making a "doomsday" prediction, but the fact is that era began dying in 1966 with the completion of most of the Interstate highway system and for certain in 1972 with the demise of the production of the true muscle car by all U.S. automobile manufacturers.

After the 1970s fewer Americans were taking to the road on family vacations in the family car as they once did and the romance with the automobile has been sliding down hill every since. Try as we may to keep the era alive, we're running out of time and cars. As I lamented just yesterday to a now retired friend who made a career of building real hot rods and street customs, go to any car show and what do you see, a bunch of old geezers sitting around talking about the good old days and who died since the last car show. Pathetic! You see a very few youngsters who barely remember seeing pictures of their Grandfather's muscle car and have come to basically see a rolling museum of times past. While those youngsters ooh and aah at the beauty of the cars and roar of a healthy sounding exhaust, few actually pick up on the hobby and have little interest in taking a hand off of it from we, the old geezers. Of course the reason is simple, they have no attachment to the era. As our kids and even we might have said at one time "Times are different now Dad."

Times may well be different, but as long as there is gasoline I'll still be running up and down the roads in a '50s to '70s something muscle car with the windows down, the exhaust sounding off, and old time rock & roll blaring from the speakers looking for the next old fashioned diner. Oh, and I should say the first real "muscle car" was in reality the 1955 Cadillac Eldorados with factory dual quads. While crude as hell engineering wise, those old dual quad Caddy 365's will flat get up and haul it.
Old May 31st, 2009 | 08:45 AM

I graduated in 1978 and just did the test and only got three wrong,#4,#6 and#11 not to bad I guess,that or I should have been paying attention in history class.
Keep in mind I'm from the great white north.
Steve
Old May 31st, 2009 | 09:07 AM

Ah yes the fifties I rember "duck and cover" in school. Like that gonna help ya in the event the Russkies drop an A bomb.

It should of been, spread your legs, lower you head and kiss your a$$ goodbye.
Old May 31st, 2009 | 09:08 AM

During the summer there are a number of places around here were hot rodders gather to show off their cars and talk car talk. I would say the average age is above 60 (I am one of those). Lots of young people stop to look and ask what make of car that is and how old is it, they do not recognize the Olds, Mercs, Studes, etc. Guess thats to be expected most of them drive rice burners. Yes the 50's & 60's were the great rod years but then of course you could by a 40's car for $50-$125 bucks and throw a Olds or Cadd motor in it and just haul ***. Things have changed and not all for the better. I still remember free love and wasn't that grand
Old May 31st, 2009 | 09:58 AM
Geezer

Ah yes the fifties I rember "duck and cover" in school. Like that gonna help ya in the event the Russkies drop an A bomb.

It should of been, spread your legs, lower you head and kiss your a$$ goodbye.
Even if you lived out in more rural areas that stupid drill was done in schools. About all that was worth bombing was a hog farm and I don't think even the Russkies were stupid enough to waste a perfectly good nuke on one of those....
Old May 31st, 2009 | 11:20 PM

I graduated in 65 and lived in south Florida (Ft Lauderdale) during the Cuban missile crisis in 1962. We had troops in the streets. Bought my first car in 63 a 1952 Ford with flathead V-8 for $50.00. Did some bondo and primer and sold it a month later for $100. Then bought a 56 Ford Vicky for $175 which I kept though high school. Car hops on roller skates. No stores were open on Sunday. The first 7-11 was a BIG deal as it was open 7 days a week till 11pm. Got the first McDonalds in 63 and discovered what fast food was. Drive-in movie theaters. Man those were the good old days.

Last edited by Rdrokit; May 31st, 2009 at 11:22 PM.
Old June 20th, 2009 | 05:37 PM

Cruising season is back and got me to thinking about the old days. We used to have a resort at a lake near here. Cottage lake is still here but Norm's Resort is long gone. Had a burger bar and a dance floor live music on friday nights. We would all cruise up there early in the day and swim until it got dark, then gather for burgers and dancing until midnight. Then out to park by the lake and watch the submarine races (know what I mean) great times. I am sure there were places like that all over the country. Long lazy days of summer sure were great in those days. Now days there isn't any place were you can go dancing anymore, the kids of today are sure missing some good times. In my mind video games just can't measure up to the times I had when I was a kid.

Thats one of the reasons I got back into cars, Cruising listening to tunes, going to car shows and hanging with friends brings back the old memories of a better time. Wow getting a little misty here better go have a beer and turn the tunes up and work on the car.
Old June 20th, 2009 | 06:28 PM

Citcapp,

Ya made me go plug in an 8 track. I used to love those danc'in days when about every 5th or 6th song was a s-l-o-w dance.

Thanks fer the memory.
Old June 20th, 2009 | 08:06 PM

Pat,
Wow, that brought back some memories. We use to go dancing Friday nights at the armory which was the National Guard Armory and not used much in those days. Then down to North Lauderdale beach to put out a blanket and watch the submarine races.
Byron
Old June 21st, 2009 | 03:31 PM

Speak'in of danc'in. Any of you ole pharts remember the term "Sock Hop"
Old June 21st, 2009 | 05:40 PM

You bet, couldn't wear shoes on the gym floor at school so danced in our socks.

Remember local bands, had a couple in our high school did pretty good one of the guys was in our auto shop supported hot rod club.

Did any of you guys belong to car clubs in high school. Had a couple of stude low boys with cad engines, couple of built 292 straight sixes and of course a hand full of flat heads along with a few other types
Old June 21st, 2009 | 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by citcapp
Did any of you guys belong to car clubs in high school. Had a couple of stude low boys with cad engines, couple of built 292 straight sixes and of course a hand full of flat heads along with a few other types
We had a couple car clubs in high school (class of 65). Some friends and I started the Kingsmen car club. I had a 56 Vicky with 312 and 3 speed on the column (which I moved to the floor), best friend had a 55 Chevy with the big blue flame six, also in the club were a 57 Chevy(283 dual quads), 62 Impala convert (409/4 speed) and a 57 Ford (352/4speed). Brings back some good memories.
Old June 22nd, 2009 | 08:32 AM

Jamesbo maybe we need to start and old pharts club. those that graduated high school in the 50's-60's add Old Phart to their Aviator?
Old June 22nd, 2009 | 10:49 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Sock hops were usually on Friday night after the football game. Most of us guys would stand on one side of the gym until a slow song came on. I was in the high school class of 1964. That was a huge year in that the Beatles started in the school year which began in 1963 and I certainly remember being in Mr. Harvey's American History class when it was announced President Kennedy had been shot and then in 5th period band when it was announced he had died. I remember calling my dad and Old Fart and he was proud of it. Now I am one. I am also proud of it. I am just surprised how soon it got here.
Old June 22nd, 2009 | 12:00 PM

Jamesbo maybe we need to start and old pharts club. those that graduated high school in the 50's-60's add Old Phart to their Aviator?

We can use a "Whoopee cushion" as a Logo
Old June 24th, 2009 | 10:08 AM

This post got me think'in?

"BIGJERR,Pretty girls are OK but the are a dime a dozen at least in my neck of the woods but a pretty classic car is much rarer. Take a look at some of these photos I took at the car show and at the track and you will see what I mean about a dime a dozen.
rokit"

I lifted this post from BIGJERR's thread with the Hooter girls and the car show. It got me think'in about how cars and the ladies kinda go hand in hand. One thing led to another and I did a little searching and found out that Parts Pups has been gone for over 11 years. Geeze Louise........ that's what's wrong with the world.

http://archive.southcoasttoday.com/d...7/f05bu309.htm
Old June 24th, 2009 | 12:34 PM

That sucks. political correctness has gone nuts. Hail to the hooters girls may they last forever
Old June 30th, 2009 | 05:05 AM

I graduated from high school in '61. I'm a car nut that goes so far back I remember looking out the window of my dads '49 chevy in N.Y. City and wondering why all the cabs were 47-48 Chryslers and DeSotos. I was 6 or 7, - Now thats going back a ways- LOL. The '50's and 60's were the best. We went to the movies on Saturday afternoons in the mid 50's in N.J. and So Ohio (we moved around a lot- Air force father) and left our bikes unlocked outside the theater with never a worry they would not be there when we came out. My buddy bought our groups first car, a black '50 Olds coupe with a J2 set up and very rare 3 speed tranny. That car was totalled racing me in my dad's '56 Mercury in 1960. I remember my dad buying that Mercury off the showroom floor and getting mad at me because I couldnt take my eyes off a baby blue '56 Linc mark II. I could go on and on here about all the cars in my life including the first car I ever drove at 15- My dads friends '54 Olds starfire 98 coupe, 2 tone blue, in a Sears parking lot. I could go on and on but will spare you that..... ALL I know is at this point: "I MISS MY COUNTRY".
Old June 30th, 2009 | 07:45 AM

Yes, those were the days when cars defined people. I remember when:

The banker drove a cad, Chrysler, Lincoln

The doctor, business man drove a Olds, buick, Desoto, Packard, Merc

The blue collar working guy drove a Stude, Chevy, Ford

Movies 2-features with a news real and cartoons was a quarter

Popcorn was a nickel, coke was a dime

No doors were locked

Learned to steer a car sitting on my dads lap 6 or 7

If you were at a friends house and did something wrong you got spanked twice once there and once when you got home

Could go on and on,
Old June 30th, 2009 | 12:39 PM

Cheby models

Also Chevy had different models in their full sized car line. At the top was the Chevy Impala [I believed began in 68], below that was the Belair and at the bottom was the Biscayne with no luxury at all.

I remember Coke went up from a nickle to 6 cents in 1958 when Castro took over Cuba and there was a susposed Sugar Shortage [Balogna]

They just added a small penny box to the front of the nickle drink machine and you put a nickle in one slot and a penny in another.
Old June 30th, 2009 | 01:05 PM

Also Chevy had different models in their full sized car line. At the top was the Chevy Impala [I believed began in 68], below that was the Belair and at the bottom was the Biscayne with no luxury at all.
Jamesbo, wasn't the Caprice considered the top of the line? While not in the "Impala, Belair, Biscayne" line, I think it was their top model. Perhaps I'm wrong.

I still really like the '69 Biscaynes. Would love to have a 427/4-speed model.
Old June 30th, 2009 | 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by 68Tom
Jamesbo, wasn't the Caprice considered the top of the line? While not in the "Impala, Belair, Biscayne" line, I think it was their top model. Perhaps I'm wrong.

I still really like the '69 Biscaynes. Would love to have a 427/4-speed model.
You guys are all too young. The Impala came out in '58 as a coupe or conv only. Watch "American Graffiti" for a white '58 impala exactly like I owned in 1960. Mine was a white 348 ci v/8, customized with a very rare 3 speed column shift. The lowest priced chevys were the 150 and 210 models first before the biscayne models came out. The Caprice came out as a upscale impala in '66. The first Chev SS was built in '61. As for a '69 Impala SS 4 speed 427 Conv (the last full sized Impala SS) for a while, My friend in Florida has a very rare factory built 4 speed 427 SS Impala conv for sale in Florida- Needs full restoration but would be worth it. I'm rambeling on and on again. Later.
Old June 30th, 2009 | 08:50 PM
Geezer

I remember Coke went up from a nickle to 6 cents in 1958 when Castro took over Cuba and there was a susposed Sugar Shortage [Balogna]

They just added a small penny box to the front of the nickle drink machine and you put a nickle in one slot and a penny in another.
There really was a sugar shortage. My Dad worked for the American Sugar Company, then the world's largest sugar refiner, which owned and operated most of the sugar plantations in Cuba and the company was largely responsible for the U.S. Government propping up a very corrupt government in order to take advantage of nearly slave labor. When Castro took over there were no more Cuban sugar plantations owned by American Sugar, thus a sugar shortage.

Last edited by Texascarnut; June 30th, 2009 at 08:52 PM.
Old June 30th, 2009 | 09:26 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

You guys are all too young. The Impala came out in '58 as a coupe or conv only. Watch "American Graffiti" for a white '58 impala exactly like I owned in 1960. Mine was a white 348 ci v/8, customized with a very rare 3 speed column shift. The lowest priced chevys were the 150 and 210 models first before the biscayne models came out. The Caprice came out as a upscale impala in '66. The first Chev SS was built in '61. As for a '69 Impala SS 4 speed 427 Conv (the last full sized Impala SS) for a while, My friend in Florida has a very rare factory built 4 speed 427 SS Impala conv for sale in Florida- Needs full restoration but would be worth it. I'm rambeling on and on again. Later.

The Caprice came out in 65 which was the same year Ford came out with the LTD. Seems I remember Ford ads claiming the LTD was as quiet as a Rolls Royce or something to that affect. You guys have really brought up some great memories. As the late and great Bob Hope said "Thanks for the Memories".
Old July 1st, 2009 | 04:30 AM

Seems like I've stired up a Cheby/Sugar debate. I believe we're bridging the late 50's and mid to early 60's here.

On the sugar subject. I can't believe Coke didn't have futures in Sugar to offset the loss of Cuban Sugar, But I really don't have any facts to back up that statement. I do know that Batista left Cuba in a big mess larger because anyone who had any education left also [Including Doctors, lawyer etc.]

On the Cheby subject, I had forgotten about the Caprice becuase I had my mind in my youth and was thinking about High school and burger joint and drive ins and no self respecting kid would have wanted one.

I also had a friend who had a 58 Impala Convertible with a 348 [and cut outs]

So, just to add fuel to the fire. I was also fond of the 289 High Performance Ferd Fairlaine. And I ridden in enough back seats of fast backs Mustangs to state with some authority, They ride like a wagon.

I did drive a sho nuff Shelby GT 350 once and it took a gorilla to turn the thing around at slow speeds in a parking lot with those Goodyear Blue dot tires. But it would "Carry the mail" when ya got moving.
Old July 1st, 2009 | 07:42 AM

I worked for a small electrical contractor in 65 the owner (about 70 at the time) had a Falcon with a 260 or 289 not sure which with a three speed on the column it was a 2dr coup, it was a sleeper very fast. His son had a 49 merc, shaved, chopped, lowered with pearl paint and frenched chrylser head lights and a cad engine. One of my favorite cars. Me, I owned a 56 chebby 2 dr hardtop all cool cars
Old July 1st, 2009 | 11:10 PM

keep these stories coming. i was born in 1990 but i love the stories, more more, esp about the cars and racing them and etc, and make them stories long not the short version...and put some 70's stories in there too . thanks
Old July 2nd, 2009 | 08:02 AM

Yes, those were the days when cars defined people. I remember when:

The banker drove a cad, Chrysler, Lincoln

The doctor, business man drove a Olds, buick, Desoto, Packard, Merc

The blue collar working guy drove a Stude, Chevy, Ford

Could go on and on,
Citcapp in your old age you left out one of the Classics.

Now in ten seconds why did every teenager want one of these.

Behold the Kenosha Cadillac
Attached Images
Old July 2nd, 2009 | 08:13 AM

Now in ten seconds why did every teenager want one of these.
Drugs?
Old July 2nd, 2009 | 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by 68Tom
Drugs?

Gong

Go to the rear of the class and put your head on your desk.
Old July 2nd, 2009 | 09:02 AM

Song Little Nash Rambler Beep Beep "Buddy how do I get this car out of second gear" Passed a Cadillac doing 110

Last edited by citcapp; July 2nd, 2009 at 09:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Growing up in the 60's